Cycle 1062, Day 33: Hessen

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1062, Day 33: Hessen

#1 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]

The wind blew steady and cold out of the northeast promising a coming storm, but nobody in the “Lucky Strike” Kneipe [a German tavern] were thinking about THAT approaching storm.

A variety of patrons, mostly men, drank tankards of ale from long sturdy tables in one room, singing loudly and attempting to steal a kiss from a beer maid as she served them.

In another room, well dressed ‘gentrified’ clients dined at small tables and listened to soft mood music from a musical trio.

At a long bar, lonely men made the acquaintance of working girls and adjourned to a private room upstairs … all under the watchful eye of the bartender who also happened to be a Deputy.

However, the ‘action’ on this particular day was centered on the gambling room. Normally, the attention of the crowd was on the card games or dice. This time, gambling took second place to another approaching storm. William, the Sheriff and owner of the establishment (plus three others) was striding purposefully towards one of the tables to confront Nicolas Bacque … again.

The Frenchman was a known local scoundrel and suspected criminal. Today, Nicolas was just tossing freshly minted silver coins into the pot from large stacks on the table in front of him, as a young lady sat on his lap and poured wine from an open bottle into his waiting glass.

“You seem to have a lot of coins in front of you.” said the Sheriff in an accusatory tone.

“What can I say? Business has been very good.” replied Nicolas with a laugh.

“It seems piracy is on the increase, another ship was boarded and robbed, and here you sit with stacks of newly minted Britannia coins.” William drew back his coat to place his sidearm within easy reach. “I know you robbed that ship and stole those coins.”

The Frenchman stopped laughing. “What you know and what you can prove, they are not the same thing, no?” Nicolas took a long sip of wine and finished the glass. “Masseur William should be careful when making such serious accusations. As you know, I have many friends that can testify that I was nowhere near any ship when it was robbed, so the magistrate will release me again.” Nicolas unclipped his sidearm and, when the girl attempted to stand and leave, he held her in place. “However, if you continue to harass me … that badge of yours will not protect you. You townies think you own the world, but we Sea-folk stick together.”

Neither man moved for a tense period as each man glared at the other. Everyone knew this storm was coming. Was today the day?
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1062, Day 33: Hessen

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Black Jacques

There he goes again. Those coins aren't used at all, not a scratch on them. Probably fake, possibly stolen. C'est bonne. This is why you're here. The excitement.

Jacques watches as the man who introduced himself as Bacque tosses a few more coins on the table. The game had been going well, Jacques thinks he's about even at this point as he mentally counts the pile in front of him. The flirty giggling of the girl on Bacques lap distracts him. Again. Ah, mixing business with pleasure is always a poor choice, mon ami.

Jacques eventually notices the mood of the room change. He turns to see a quartet of serious looking men approach the table. Jacques nervously slides his hand to his pistol, trying to calm himself with the cold steel. As the men address Bacque, he relaxes a bit, until it's clear things are taking a turn towards violence.

"Excusez-moi. M. William, I believe. You are the owner of this establishment, n'est pas? This, ah, predicament, cannot be good for business. There is, perhaps, another time for this?"
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by AsenRG »

Right at this moment, the door was slammed into the wall. Everybody who looked in that general direction, noticed the entrance of Remy.
The man made for an impressive figure, despite being only about six feet tall. In the tavern, there were bigger people than him, and not a few with more visible muscle, too.
However, what he lacked in stature, he made up for in the intensity of his eyes. Immediately after entering, he moved right, putting the wall behind himself, and let his eyes get accustomed to the light, before scanning the crowd until he located Le Jacques Noir.
Then he smiled broadly, and starting approaching him.
"Ah, Monsieur le Marquis! I was told I could find you here, and I came running, through the gale outside!"
The rain might be strong, but it's not a gale by any stretch of the imagination. That, however, doesn't deter Remy in the slightest.
"I heard you were around, and I imagined: no way Monsieur le Marquis wouldn't remember Remy the Chief Hunter! So now that I'm around here, and looking for work, Remy should try and gain employment with him now, non? It would be a waste to go working for someone else, when a good man like Le Jacques Noir might need one's aid!"
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:10 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]
“Lucky Strike” Kneipe [a German tavern]:
"Excusez-moi. M. William, I believe. You are the owner of this establishment, n'est pas? This, ah, predicament, cannot be good for business. There is, perhaps, another time for this?" said Black Jacques.

William smiled a formal and mirthless smile "You have me at a disadvantage. I don't believe that I caught your name. Are you another member of the Bacque family?"
His smile faded "I was never one to go looking for trouble, but we Mohr never run from it either."

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:12 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]
"Ah, Monsieur le Marquis! I was told I could find you here, and I came running, through the gale outside! I heard you were around, and I imagined: no way Monsieur le Marquis wouldn't remember Remy the Chief Hunter! So now that I'm around here, and looking for work, Remy should try and gain employment with him now, non? It would be a waste to go working for someone else, when a good man like Le Jacques Noir might need one's aid!" interrupted Remy.

"Well, Mister Jacques Noir. It would seem that you are not related to Mister Bacque here." said William. "You just like hang around with bad company and to meddle. Neither is a crime, just a folly." William looked Remy up and down. "Perhaps you are right, Mister Noir. Mister Bacque and I will discuss this another time."

"Perhaps tomorrow?" said a drunk Nicolas Bacque "I think that maybe I will come back tomorrow when I am sober and kill you Sheriff Mohr." Nicolas burst into laughter.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by AsenRG »

"There's something to be said for killing once when you're drunk", Remy says nonchalantly. "You stab him - probably to da hilt, cause you're drunk and finess ain't on your mind - and he bleeds there, and falls, and you fall on him or else you haven't drunk nearly enough...and then you wake up the next morning, and people tell you 'hey, you did one of your old enemies in, great on you'. And you're like, 'I did? Good on me! Now stop shouting'...and you never remember what he looked like when he was dying, so you never remember him again".
He shrugs.
"That said, it lacks any art, because you're drunk while doing your man in. And that's a waste...but even more importantly, didn't the people around here consider it a crime to kill a sheriff? I'm almost sure it was last I visited."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Black Jacques

The whirlwind that is Remy blew into his life again. With better timing on this occasion.
He turns back to the Sheriff. "My name is indeed Jacques and I did not intend to, as you say, mettle. I simply wish to enjoy my evening at your fine establishment. Care to join us?"

"Remy! You old scelerat. Good to see you again. What have you been up to since our last hunt?" Jacques smiles as Remy casually discusses the subtleties of knifing a man while drunk. "Ahem. Oui bien, it seems there is some history here that I am not aware of. Let us have a round to soothe the past. Bartender?! Boissons, s'il vous plait."
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by AsenRG »

"Well, monsieur Jacques...you know how I introduced you to my teacher? Remember my teacher had an enemy who was driving me insane? Worse, that said enemy was the father of the girl I wanted to marry? Well, one day, he got too smart for his own good and tried to take my teacher and me by surprise during a hunt...", Remy sighs. "And you know what, he did get my teacher! I guess I was going to be next, after he pulled his gat....but he'd only got me mostly surprised. So he suffered the hunting accident instead of me. Alas, my teacher died."
Remy shook his head.
"A tragic story, tragic indeed. Made doubly more tragic by his relatives deciding I had something to do with his demise, when it was obvious my teacher had done him in before dying! So they started a blood feud, can you imagine? An' the chief said I shouldn't kill them, but go to see the broad world...gain money...then I could pay the blood price they're asking. And if I could pay the bridal price as well, they'd be fools not to believe my story, and allow my girl to marry me. So, like a good...how did you deign to say it, a scellar rat? Anyway, like a good one of those, I listened to the chief! Gave them all my money as advance payment, too! It wasn't enough to stop the feud, but they agreed to grant me safe passage. So here I am!"
He looked around.
"Which table is it going to be, Monsieur le Marquis? So much talkin' opens my thirst. An' you have to fill me in. What are my duties going to be, who are your enemies...who are your allies...", he looked pointedly at the sheriff.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:15 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]
"I think that maybe I will come back tomorrow when I am sober and kill you Sheriff Mohr." laughed Nicolas.

"...but even more importantly, didn't the people around here consider it a crime to kill a sheriff? I'm almost sure it was last I visited." replied Remy.

"I am sure they do" replied Nicolas with a dismissive wave of his hand "but since when have MEN of the sea ever heeded the stifling rules of these stuck up little town minnows." He lifted a refilled glass to Jaques "Am I not right, masseur? To the men of the sea ... a force of nature!"

"Care to join us?" said Jaques to the Sheriff.

William seemed about to say something confrontational to Nicolas, when one of the men with him ... a slightly older man with a pair of revolvers worn handles forward for cross draw style ... placed a hand on William's shoulder. The Sheriff stopped whatever he had been planning to say. "Perhaps another time." was all he said.

"who are your enemies...who are your allies...", Remy looked pointedly at the sheriff.

One of the men with the Sheriff shifted a double barrel 12 gauge coach gun from one shoulder to another "It is important to know who your friends and enemies are." he stated quietly.

"That's enough, Max" said the older man with the 'gunfighter' revolvers "We're here to keep the peace, not to start trouble."

"We will finish this discussion another time, Nicolas." said William as the four men started to leave.

A full figured barmaid arrived with a bottle and several glasses which she cheerfully poured for Jacques and Remy in exchange for a silver coin. Remy dragged a chair from an adjoining table to join Jaques and Nicolas at the card game already in progress.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:30 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]
Jaques is not much of a gambler, but after playing for a while with Nicolas Bacque, Jaques found himself up 100 Silver Credits. What was more important, you had gained some insight into Nicolas. On the one hand, Nicolas was far too drunk to be gambling and had managed to loose several thousand Silver Credits already. What was peculiar was the paradox that Nicolas seemed to win and loose with equal joy ... merely delighting in the game. At least until the pile of coins in front of his opponent grew too large and suddenly Nicolas became convinced that they were cheating.

Jaques and Remy both had an opportunity to examine the shiny new Silver Credits, and they were exactly what they appeared to be. Pure silver and freshly minted in Britannia.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by AsenRG »

"The sea washes the shore of my village. Sometimes, it washes the whole village, so I learned to swim before walking", Remy said. "I think that makes me a man of the sea, too - but I choose to follow the customs whenever possible. Of course, you can do as you please. I'm not going to stand on either side, especially since my master, Marquis Jacques, desires a calm evening!"
And only the sea and the blades will know if I disagree with you when we meet outside, he thought, but avoided the gambler's eyes.
His village had suffered pirate attacks...and if they'd ever returned them in kind, it was simply just retribution! Pirates, in his opinion, were scum that tried to take the village women. But then, only the waves and the blades knew what became of such scum.

"We're definitely not looking for trouble, either", he assured the men with the sheriff. "Thank you for your restraint, and for keeping the order!", he added.

Remy was kinda disappointed that the silver was what it seemed to be. A best guess wasn't always a good one, it seemed!
He waited patiently while Jacques was playing, watching his back and trying to chat up the barmaid. There was something to be said for full-figured shapes, Remy thought...even if they weren't exactly his favoured type, he did appreciate all kinds of beauty whenever he spotted them.
But, beggars aren't really popular with barmaids, he had found long ago, and his current financial condition didn't give him much hope to get too close to her. Instead, he was just trying to be friendly, assuming that she was of a roughly similar social strata. Any bit of information about the local place would be helpful, too - and she was in position to overhear much.
Besides, not having any money, he was unable to bet to begin with. But then, being the guard of one of the players was more like what he was used to doing, anyway, he thought with a dark smile.
He was growing worried, though. Was the night going to end in a dispute about cheating?
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Black Jacques

Jacques notices that Nicolas is becoming agitated. He tries to divert attention. "So Bacque is it? Don't suppose you hail from the French Republic, do you? I'm from there, myself. Always felt a kinship with the sea, even though..." He leans in and whispers "I was born on land." He laughs heartily.

He holds up his glass and peers at it. "Pretty decent, if you ask me. Care to have another?"

"Remy? There you are. Tell Bacque here where you come from. It's quite a tale if you ask me."
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by AsenRG »

"As you command, master Jacques", Remy bows.
"See, monsieuer Bacque, I'm from a place near the Spine of the World. It's the best place of the world, but you've heard that before, and seen similar places... so Imma not going to bore you with this part...I think monsieur le marquis means my reasons to venture forth."
He smiles.
"I'm sure a man of the sea can understand the tragic story. Now, I've always been in a bit of a thght spot: my teacher, whom I deeply cherished, had an enemy who was driving us both insane...but said enemy was also the father of the girl I wanted to marry! Well, one day, he got too smart for his own good and tried to take my teacher and me by surprise during a hunt. Now - let's be fair to the man: he did get my teacher, whom he could never touch during a straight-up fight. Possibly not even if he tried another form of ambush. I'm still sad by the loss", he adds, looking for a moment in the empty space past Bacque's shoulder, and pouring a small libation on the floor.
To the dead.
"Now - I guess I was going to be next, after he pulled his gat....but after he shot my teacher, he only had me mostly surprised. And, of course, my teacher did him in with his dying breath...well, second-to-last dying breath. So, instead of me, he suffered the hunting accident! Alas, my teacher still died in my hands...But at least now I could marry my girl, an' he wished me to be lucky with his dying breath! I see you laughing...well, there's travelling to other ports, and then there's a lawful wife."
"However, what do you think his relatives did? Instead of grieving with me for the tragic loss of both my teacher, and my prospective father-in-law, they go on deciding I had something to do with his demise! The temerity...it was obvious my teacher had done him in before dying! But do they believe a honest Remy Hernandez? No! They start a blood feud, can you imagine? An' the chief says I shouldn't hurt any o' them, because they still bring more fish and animals to the Families. Instead, I am to go an' see the broad world, and gain money - so, if I could pay the blood price they're asking, and the bridal price as well, they'd have to believe my story, and allow my girl to marry me. Because what gods make a liar rich? So, I did what a good scellar rat should do, as monsieur le marquis said tonight: I gave them all my money as advance payment and went looking for the rich benefactor, monsieur le marquis, whom I had met when he was passing nearby on a hunting expedition!"
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:40 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]
Remy had less than no success with the barmaid. As fate would have it, Claire was not merely unimpressed by your lack of coins, she hated Spaniards and wanted nothing to do with any "Hernandez".
However, as Claire stormed off, a boy pushing a broom 'happened' to sweep past and suggested"Better off leaving that one alone. Even if I had the coin, not sure I'd trust her enough to spend it on her." Softly "If it's some cuddlin' yer after, you might have better luck with Jana." He nodded with the broom towards a skinny girl with brown hair cleaning up a table. "She has a soft spot for strays." he smiled. "And if it's food and conversation your after, then you want to flirt with Agnes." he said pointing towards a plump elderly woman bringing food from the kitchen. "Nothing will come of it 'cept she'll slap you fer teasing and mother you." As he heads off to clean elsewhere "Hope that helps. Been down a time or two myself."

Nicolas happily accepted the drink from Jaques and confirmed that he was from the Republic. "Strange thing is" he says cheerfully "I have sailed all over and no matter how hard I search, I just never seem able to find those lines on the Ocean that I see on all those maps. So Bacque thinks that all of the oceans are for him to sail on."

As Remy completed his tale, Nicolas slammed his hand on the table "Oui, M. Remy. There was your mistake. If you think like a townie and trust the townies, they will cheat you and leave you empty handed every time. They call Nicolas a thief, but it is they who steal all of the coins and hoard them in their pockets." Nicolas scoops up a handful of coins and dumps them in a pile on the table in front of Remy "A man should not have empty pockets." There are 255 Silver Credits in the pile before Remy. "Take them. A gift from one man to another."

Nicolas leans back "The sea provides everything we need to thrive!" ... then leaning close to Jacques and Remy "If only a man knows where to look to find it."
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by AsenRG »

"Thank you, man! It helps a lot", Remy smiles. "I've got a job for now, I believe, and I'm not even so much after the cuddling...it's more someone to talk with. Preferably someone local who can fill me in with the news and who the players are in this city. You know, the people to watch for, people to avoid, and people to look up to".
He still smiles both to Jana, and Agnes, but makes no attempt to approach them. As he sees it, his place is next to Jacques, now.

Remy chuckled at the "all the oceans" comment.
"Ah, those invisible lines! Some of my mates used to say they looked for them but never found any...they just reached another island. Funny, that. The lines must be invisible, like spirits."

One thing Remy doesn't even consider is refusing the gift. It would be a mortal offence, and he has no desire to kill Bacque.
Instead, he looks him in the eyes.
"As a man, I accept, and appreciate that your gift doesn't come with conditions that might compromise another man's honour. And you have a man's word: some day, I'd return an equal one."

He stuffs the silver in his pockets, and waves the boy who talked to him closer. He's going to permit himself very weak cider, but first, he has to give the guy 5 Silver Credits.
And if the lords are done with his story, he's going to try and get the boy talking about his earlier questions.
"And you might be right I got the short end", he adds thoughtfully. "But what would you have done in my place, senor Bacque? A chief is like a captain, and what captain would brooke disobedience?"
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques raises an eyebrow at Nicolas' comment. "Indeed. I do enjoy a good hunt, M. Bacque. Perhaps you know of something worth finding?"

Jacques leans in towards Nicolas. "Perhaps it is fortunate that we met this evening."
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by AsenRG »

Remy nods thoughtfully. Perhaps it is, indeed...perhaps not.
Time would show.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:50 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]

"But what would you have done in my place, senor Bacque? A chief is like a captain, and what captain would brooke disobedience?" said Remy.

"A dead one" Nicolas laughed. "I do not know all of the details, but the man is still dead ... whoever killed him ... so your chief has a corpse. The girl is still unwed and benefits no one ... and now his arm is weaker by one sword ... yours. I do not see how this decision has benefitted anyone, but perhaps I am too simple of a man." Nicolas shifted his attention to Jaques.

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 5:55 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]

The boy delivered the cider. Conversation revealed that his name was Paul Gruber and 16 year old Paul had lived in Hessen his whole life and worked in the 'Lucky Strike' to support himself. "The Count of Hessen is in charge of the city, but he don't do much himself" said Paul. "That's why he appointed Bill to maintain order."

Some clarification reveals that 'Bill' is William Mohr, the Sheriff of Hessen. The older man with him was 'Vol' who was his brother Volker Mohr and the Territorial Marshall appointed by the Duke of Westfalen. The other two men with Bill were Max and Wil Mohr, their younger brothers. Max was a bounty hunter and young Wil was a Shotgun Courier, someone who protected valuable cargo and made sure it arrived at its destination. They were all pretty important people around here.

Nicolas runs the Bacque Fleet. His brothers Philippe and Gautier each captain a large ship and lead a bunch of smaller boats. They have a lot of influence among the fishermen ... "even if they aren't from the Bund".

Fergus and Torquil MacCrain lead the MacCrain Fleet. They are nearly as important as Bacque Fleet.

"Mr Klugman runs the Committee of Safety. All the business leaders belong. He comes here sometimes and has dinner with Bill." said Paul.

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 2: Hour 6:00 [Town of Hessen: 47N,28W]

"Perhaps it is fortunate that we met this evening." whispered Jaques.

Nicolas clasped your arm "I knew you were a kindred spirit! We are men of action unchained by petty clerks and their petty rules." Nicolas scowled at the Deputy keeping an eye on them. "Come, let us return to my ship where we may speak away from prying ears and spying eyes."

Without waiting for an answer, he rose and swaggered ... just a bit unsteady ... to the door.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by AsenRG »

"Ah yes, but he risked losing at least three of them", Remy nodded. "Still, I'm going to consider your words".
Of course, what had convinced him wasn't only that. It was the fact that he couldn't marry his love if he had killed her uncles, now could he?
And of course, normal people hesitate shedding the blood of kin, he mused. What did it say about Bacque?
Well, probably that he was now owing a favour to a man he should keep an eye on.

"Max Mohr is the one with the guns that stopped them from escalating, no?",[/b] Remy asked, wanting to be sure. "He is probably the most dangerous man I've seen tonight".
He looks at Bacque. Remy hasn't seen Bacque in action, but he's willing to bet he'd be at least adequate to the task.
"Well, most likely...eh, wait - if the Bacques have a fleet, do they also belong to the Committee of Safety?"

Remy raises partially, but looks at Jacques. If the nobleman follows, Remy is going to do the same.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques smiles to himself. "You see, mon ami? It seems we are to set off on another adventure. Let us hope that it will end as well as last time, non?"

Jacques gathers his winnings, rises from the table, tips his hat to the others, and starts following Nicolas.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by AsenRG »

Remy assumes the "mon ami" was meant to Jacques reflection in some mirror - an aristocrat couldn't well be Remy's friend! - and starts following in tow. Well, Bacque seems like a man who's about to make things fun!

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”