OOC Discussion

Mister-Kent
Kaithulu
Squire
Squire

Re: OOC Discussion

#161 Post by Kaithulu »

Greetings everyone! Forgive me if this sounds awkward, but I'm not really sure what to say here :D

I'm going to be joining your game, it seems! I look forward to it!

I've played in several SWN games and attempted to GM it a couple times too, though neither attempt lasted very long, to my great chagrin. (More from interpersonal player issues than any poor GMing on my part... or so I like to think ;P)

So I'll be rolling up a character and hopefully will starting posting IC by this weekend at the earliest, or whenever you guys have an opening in the story since as I understand, you're still in the middle of a mission. Let me know if there's any particular role or skills that the group could use, though I can guarantee nothing since no one can really say how the dice will fall. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Marullus »

Welcome!

We lost both psychics, so there's room for that. :) Or any other concept, too.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by Mister-Kent »

Welcome Kai! :)
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID
Kaithulu
Squire
Squire

#164 Post by Kaithulu »

Just in case you guys haven't seen this, Kevin Crawford recently released a lifepath-based character creation system for Stars Without Number in his free magazine/journal/thing. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/154 ... -Sandbox-2

It's pretty awesome! I had some fun and made some pretty cool characters using it. Obviously it's too late for such a thing to be useful in the current game, but for future games, I think it could be a great tool. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Marullus »

Those tables are great! I like having more granularity than the standard options. Not as strong a Life path system as Burning Wheel, but good for this system.

I also backed his new supplement for planetary Warfare -https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... escription

I will let you know when it comes out.
Kaithulu
Squire
Squire

#166 Post by Kaithulu »

Awesome! Should have figured you guys were already aware of the tables. And you play Burning Wheel - even cooler! I've skimmed through the Wheel and Spokes but haven't had the pleasure of actually playing that game yet.

I am definitely looking forward to Starvation Cheap, too. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Marullus »

Oh, I had not seen the tables yet - thank you for posting it. :). I just went immediately to get them and read them, then shared it with my friends. :-D

I do like Burning Wheel for a number of reasons, life path creation system among them. It makes AWESOME characters, especially with a "the world just turned on its head and I am out of my depth" theme. I am glad to talk about that system any time.

I got to enjoy a SWN game at a con last year, then played this game. I like its genre; I am not normally big on D&D reskins, but this has nice flavor and I really want to see planetary combat.
Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#168 Post by Coleridge »

Welcome Kaithulu, Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. SWN is still pretty new to me, but fun so far. I'm curious how it will go if we get into a combat though.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by Mister-Kent »

I've played around a bunch with those lifepath tables--I really like how evocative the Life Event tables are!

New post shortly!
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Kaithulu
Squire
Squire

#170 Post by Kaithulu »

Thanks Coleridge!

Combat with this group will be interesting, certainly! SWN combat is especially lethal at low levels (in fact, I think at this point just about any of us could be killed by a single pistol shot if it rolled well), but as we gain levels and equipment we shouldn't have to worry about much. With two experts and a psychic though, we're probably going to be better at avoiding and outsmarting our enemies rather than taking them head on pretty much throughout our careers.

That said, you and Marullus have pretty badass characters. Marullus alone is a jacked-up cyborg with a gun that has a chance to one-hit kill anything that moves. And Michael has his multipurpose tech vest and artifact laser pistol. I think we'll be fine. :D
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by Mister-Kent »

My home internet is out for a while and I'm posting from my phone in the meantime. I intend to post every day, but the posts may be brief! :)
Playing
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Marullus »

On Friday, I'm leaving for my wedding and honeymoon. I expect to have limited to no posts for a week. I will, however, being enjoying the beaches of another country. :)
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by Mister-Kent »

Whoo! Congrats Marullus!

Finally got a long post typed for Ran, now for M&M's thread :)
Playing
Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#174 Post by Coleridge »

Kaithulu wrote:Thanks Coleridge!

Combat with this group will be interesting, certainly! SWN combat is especially lethal at low levels (in fact, I think at this point just about any of us could be killed by a single pistol shot if it rolled well), but as we gain levels and equipment we shouldn't have to worry about much. With two experts and a psychic though, we're probably going to be better at avoiding and outsmarting our enemies rather than taking them head on pretty much throughout our careers.

That said, you and Marullus have pretty badass characters. Marullus alone is a jacked-up cyborg with a gun that has a chance to one-hit kill anything that moves. And Michael has his multipurpose tech vest and artifact laser pistol. I think we'll be fine. :D
It's cool, we can likely avoid most combat. if bullshitting was a skill option, Michael would have taken it. I guess I'm kind of wishing Star Frontiers would make a come back. Laser pistol fights were pretty fun in that.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by Mister-Kent »

I've been assured out friend Killdozer's still in on the action, but I've got to get him and Ran to meet up :D

The post I just put up I had a version of on my phone, which my phone happily ate :( So I had to recreate it from memory. Luckily, I've got a new 'net setup now, so longer posts are now possible!
Playing
Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#176 Post by Coleridge »

Guys, I'm having some unforseen issues at work. I probably won't be able to post again until late in the week. Please move the story along as needed.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by Mister-Kent »

I'm thinking of ways to leap ahead--I think a small time jump of a few days is in order, perhaps with the Cat's Cradle having just retrieved the seeder from it's hiding place. Guy will have left on piratey business, having found the lead on the Xiao Brothers a dead-end, and recruited Ran to replace him on the crew. Malachi and Michael will have by this time returned to Oasis and rejoined the crew, including Killdozer, who's onboard doing his cook thang, still dreaming of new exotic recipes.

This way, we can clear the canvas--get that seeder sold (or whatever you decide to do with it) and choose a new mission! What do you say?
Playing
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Marullus »

I was looking forward to how Guy was going to handle the marital death threats, actually. :)
Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#179 Post by Coleridge »

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#180 Post by Coleridge »

If we jump ahead, Michael will likely have ditched Zedra to go get some smokes....

Return to “Cat's Cradle (SWN)”