OOC Thread

#1 Post by max_vale »

Out of character thread....

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Thread

#2 Post by NJWilliam »

Ordered 1e rulebook from Noble Knight this morning!
Anything else you suggest I get my hands on?
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by angelicdoctor »

max_vale: FYI, I will be out this weekend on spiritual retreat and therefore will not be posting at least until next Monday.

I will use the AUotF template. I am not sure how to modify this for a Bothan PC as yet since I do not possess the tome that details this for that species. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

I'd say the 1E "Star Wars Sourcebook"; 1987.......with these two books; you're good to go for any and all 1E gaming! (Provided you have a good imaganation and some time on your hands! :) )

If you want to run some 1E adventures; but don't have the time/inclination to make them up yourself; I'd definitely recommend the following Star Wars adventures:

-Starfall (which we're going to play!)

-Tatooine Manhunt (the original published adventure; outside of the one in the main book....the mining shaft adventure, whose name I can't remember right now...which is EXCELLENT for new SW RPGers in my opinion)

-Project Shantipole (Commander Ackbar is working on a new Rebel Starfighter in the asteroid field inhabited by the Engineering genius Verpine (an insectoid race)...when the Imperials; with the help of an undercover spy on Ackbar's staff; get word of the project and show up to shut down.....(fun assault on an asteroid and space fights in an asteroid field)

-Scavenger Hunt: This is a quite silly adventure that many people may not enjoy; but I rather like the concept of trash-loving species and the fun that might be had with dealing with a race like the Squibs (3 foot tall, blue-furred schnauser-like humanoids who are insanely good at bartering...what's not to love? :) )

-Isis Coordinates: A puzzle-solving heavy adventure that some players who enjoy this part of gaming as much as action.

-Death in the Undercity: Probably the most serious of the 1st Edition modules; this one deals with the strained relations of two sentient speices on the water world of Calamari and foiling the efforts of insidious Imperial agents attempting to exploit the situation.

-Domain of Evil: Probably the 'darkest' of the 1st Edition Modules; this adventure focuses on the Rebels being pursued by a relentless group of Bounty Hunters and forced to crash on a swampy planet and deal with a threat from the Dark Side.

There are other adventures out there as well; but these are all good starts. Many people I know highly recommend the 2nd Edition 'Revised and Expanded' book; but as I don't own this; I can't speak to it.

I hope this helps!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by max_vale »

Angelic: Have a good weekend; and I will certainly take a look and get back to you. You are more than welcome to play the Template "as is" if you like; but we can go over that next week!

-Max

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#6 Post by WarGrunte »

Max, I am still willing to learn about this game, and while I get the basics of the dice rolls, I am confused about templates a tad bit. I do not own, and thanks to where I live, cannot get any first edition books, or any books for that matter. Other than that, I have no problems pertaining to me being able to play this type of RPG, if you would still want me to join. And a quick question: Would there be any chance that the characters might go on to play different modules if this campaign goes well enough?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by max_vale »

WarGrunte: No worries amigo; I ABSOLUTELY want you to play; I'll walk you through character creation in some posts later tonight/tomorrow. If the adventure goes well and there's enough interest; I certainly have no problem with keeping the players and the adventures going! :)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Vargr1105 »

Question. I know at least one version of SW D6 has something called "Skill Specialities"...or something.

Is this available in 1st Edition?

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#9 Post by WarGrunte »

Vargr mind if I copy your character skeleton? I do not have anything to work with really, so it would be a big help to be have something to work from. I would not copy any of your information or anything, just need some help starting my profile is all.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Vargr1105 »

Sure WarGrunte, use the template skeleton all you want. I based mine of charsheets off 1st and 2nd Ed SW on the template companion fanbook.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by max_vale »

Hey fellas; I was really hoping to get some time today to get some posts in on this site; but I am far too wiped to make any sense; so I'll get back to this tomorrow...my apologies!

Wargrunte: I saw your PM and no worries amigo...I'll help you out; I promise! :)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by max_vale »

Okay; I'm up a little early and have a bit of time; so I thought I'd go over character creation for anybody that has any questions....

Okay; there are 6 attributes and a boatload of skills. Both attributes and skills are always measured by a dice code; 3D or 4D+2; etc. The basic principle to remember is that Dice codes are broken down into "pips". 3 pips make up a Die. It goes like this; from lower to higher:

+1
+2
1D
1D+1
1D+2
2D
2D+1
2D+2
3D

And on and on and on. The six attributes for all characters are:

DEXTERITY: Eye-hand coordination; Agility; etc. This Attribute covers anything from Shooting Blasters to Dodging to Parrying attacks with Melee Weapons

KNOWLEDGE: This covers all of the stuff your character has learned; from knowledge of Alien races (which for a non-human race would cover humans); to Academic subjects like History or Sciences; to Languages; to Streetwise.

MECHANICAL: This skill covers the ability to drive machines of all kinds; ride animals; and fire weapons that are built into vehicles such as Laser cannons on X-wings or Heavy Blaster Turrets on Speeders; etc.

PERCEPTION: A combination of awareness of things around the character and skills that other games cover with 'Charisma'. Everything from Searching to Hiding to Persuading others to do/believe what you wish them to; are covered by this Attribute.

STRENGTH: Brute Strength; Endurace and Athletic Ability are covered by this attribute; Skills such as Brawling; Lifting; Climbing; and Stamina all fall under Strength. This attribute is also used to resist damage; so its also a measure of how tough a character is.

TECHNICAL: In essence repair skills and Computer Operation Skills. The ability to fix a damaged Space Frieghter or bypass the Security alarms of an Imperial Installation would be covered by this Attribute.

All skills fall under one of these attributes; so DEX would cover Blaster, Thrown Weapons, Dodging, etc. MECH covers Starship Piloting, Starship Gunnery, Astrogation; etc. (I'll throw up a list of skills falling under each Attribute). EVERY character can attempt ANY skill.

*Exception: the 3 Force Skills: Control, Sense, Alter do NOT fall under the attributes and only Jedi/Force Users may have and utilize these skills.

All PCs attributes total 18D (or 54 pips); with human characters having each attribute fall anywhere between 2D to 4D. Alien characters attributes may fall anywhere between 1D+1 to 4D+2.

In addition; each starting character has 7D (or 21 pips) to spend on increasing skills. All skills have the same starting level of the associated attribute; so if a character has a DEX of 3D; then that character has a Blaster, Dodge, etc. skill of 3D as well. The 7D to spend on advancing the skills can raise this; with the limit being that no more than 2D (6 pips) can be spent on any one skill.

Hopefully I haven't lost you all.....here's two examples of character creation:

Joe wants to play a Human Fighter Pilot named Schmo. He has 18D (54 pips) for starting attributes which can call anywhere between 2D and 4D. He decides to break them up like this:

DEX: 3D KNOW: 2D+2 MECH: 4D PER: 2D+1 STR: 3D TECH: 3D

He decides to use his 7D of starting skills like this: Blaster (DEX) gets 1D (making it 4D); Dodge (DEX) gets 1D (making it 4D); Alien Races (KNOW) gets +1 pip (making it 3D); Starship Piloting (MECH) gets 2D (making it 6D); Starship Gunnery (MECH) gets 1D (making it 5D); Brawling (STR) gets +2 pips (making it 3D+2); and Starship Repair (TECH) gets 1D (making it 4D).

Meanwhile Jane wants to play a Wookie Mechanic named Vaacabluu ('Vacca' for short); and she spends her 18D starting attribute dice like this: (Keeping in mind that Aliens can have attribute codes between 1D+1 and 4D+2)

DEX: 2D+2 KNOW: 2D+2 MECH: 3D PER: 1D+1 STR: 4D+2 TECH: 3D+2

She spends her 7D of initial skills like this: Bowcasters (Wookies' "Laser Crossbows"), a DEX skill; gets 1D+1 making it 4D; Streetwise (KNOW) gets +1, making it 3D; Astrogation (MECH) gets 1D+1, making it 4D+1; Persuasion (PER) gets 1D+2, making it 3D; Stamina (STR) gets +1, making it 5D; and Starship Repair (TECH) gets 2D, making it 5D+2.

Hopefully this helps......questions/comments?

(I'll get to Force stuff later!)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Vargr1105 »

I would point out that the reasoning behind the Templates is that the Attributes have already been allocated. The player has only to split 7D (21 pips) among the skills with the 2D (6 pips) limit on any one skill, thus saving time in chargen.

And if you want really "hardman" chargen (like I did) limit your skill choice to those indicated on the Template sheet. This not only also saves time, it keeps the character "faithful" to the SW concept.

And a final note to all you combat lovers out there. You might have noticed the lack of "Constitution" or "Stamina" attribute. Dexterity is the attribute that covers attack and defense, while Strenght is what you roll versus damage inflicted when you get hit to see how badly you are injured.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by max_vale »

Actually; only the 2nd Edition stuff limited the skills for each Template; but I know what you mean Vargr; and you've pretty much given a great breakdown; thanks :)

I want players to be able to put points anywhere they want (to the 7D/21 pip limit) so that they can better create a more well-rounded character if they so choose. Same thing with thier attributes. On the other hand; as Vargr notes; if you're looking to make a character "quick and dirty"; keeping the skills to 7D and not breaking them down into pips certainly does that.

Also; it should be noted that Strength covers Brawling attacks while Dexterity covers pretty much everything else. Warning to min/maxers though: I tend to go after obvious dump stats! :)

I should definitely have a bit more time tonight for posting...and will DEFINITELY have time tomorrow. Anybody got any pressing questions/comments on thier mind?

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by angelicdoctor »

max_vale wrote:Angelic: Have a good weekend; and I will certainly take a look and get back to you. You are more than welcome to play the Template "as is" if you like; but we can go over that next week!

-Max
To keep things nice and simple, I will simply 'run with' the template 'as is' for the Alien Student of the Force. Many thanks.

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by WarGrunte »

So, around what time can we expect to have this started, Max? You said mid-week or next week when you posted about leaving on a trip for the job, and I was just wondering cause some things might start up this weekend that could cause me to be stuck off the internet for that time.

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by angelicdoctor »

My PC is all ready to go as well.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by max_vale »

Hey fellas; it's been a Looooonnnnnnggggg couple of days; but the work crap is done and I get on a plane tomorrow for home....YAY!

The characters all look good; I'll take a closer look tomorrow and the game should be up and running this weekend. Wargrunte; if it looks like the weekend is a no-go for you; we could either push back the start of the game until next Monday (the 29th) if that's what everybody else wants to do; or just do the first initial posts without you (I PROMISE I won't let your character be used as a human shield! :) )

Thoughts?

P.S. Did I mention I'm SO FREAKIN' GLAD THIS DAMN WORK TRIP IS ALMOST OVER? WHOO-HOO!!!!

(ahem)....Sorry about that....

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by angelicdoctor »

Just a posting note. I normally post much more frequently during the week than on the weekends in general. I cannot guarantee that I will participate on any given weekend and much less so during holidays.

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by WarGrunte »

Well, there is a chance that I could sneak on during the later hours, so we could start it this weekend. But since Angel seems to also have posting issues during the weekend, we might want to hold it back until Monday or start it early on Friday. Either way is fine by me. And like Angel, something might pop up during the weekends that might cause me to have trouble posting, but I might not be aware of the event until it is upon and will be unable to give any forewarning.

Return to “Star Wars RPG: Star Fall”