Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Lionel's Rendezvous with Latiqua

#1 Post by Bluehorse »

Papa's Pub
Aug. 9, 2018, 7:30pm
Humid but tolerably cool

Lionel made it downtown to Garrison Ave. He had a good look at it earlier when he was at the Bass Reeves statue and had seen it was lively and brightly lit, but now that he was in the thick of it, he was amazed by the dazzling orange street lights and the bright neon signs that seemed prominent here on the short strip of Fort Smith nightlife. He almost missed the little pub and walked in. It was crowded and loud, mostly lit with green neon and bar lights. TV's were everywhere playing sports from all over, primarily whatever college games were on and a few just tuned into espn.

There is a particularly rowdy crowd, sure enough at the back table behind the bar in the more spacious area. You see a crowd at the table that is a mixture of men and women all laughing and cheering the game, holding up their drinks at whatever amused them. There is a particularly attractive black woman there wearing a casual top and jeans. One of the others ask her loudly over the crowd. When's that boy of your's gonna show up?

Girl, I don't know, he said he'd be late cause of work or somethin.

Oh year, a Ghooooooost busterrrrrrrrr! The crowd of friends laughs good-naturedly.

No one seems to have immediately noticed Lionel from that group, but more than one seem to be eyeing him curiously. Lionel would never make it back out the way he came right now, as a waitress just dropped a tray of drinks and is busy cleaning up as people mill about blocking the way. There is a door in the back that is propped open going into the back alley that looks just as busy as the street out front, but he would have to walk right by Latiqua and her friends to get there if he so chose. There are also Bathrooms and the end of the bar to his right.

Actions? Did Lionel clean up or come straight from work?

Brownie Point Pool
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/58 (*)

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)
** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Lionel's Rendezvous with Latiqua

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Not running as late as he originally feared, Lionel took the opportunity to take a quick shower and put on clean clothes before heading out. Arriving at the Pub, he stops at the bar to order a beer before joining the group. As he approaches the table, he gets the reaction he is by now accustomed to- people stop what they are doing and gawk at him, unaccustomed to seeing someone with his physical presence. Nearing the table, he calls out, Latiqua? Sorry I'm late. Unfortunately, I'm always on-call. You never know when something'll come up and I gotta go to work. He holds out his hand as he introduces himself. I'm Lionel.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Bluehorse »

Latiqua the Black Beauty looks up and grins, squealing before laughing. I told you! I told you! she says smiling and pointing to two of her naysayers. She gets up and comes around the table to give Lionel a hug, then shoos one of the group out of her chair to make room for Lionel to sit with her. Don't you worry, we are just glad you made it. Got a drink alreday too. Mmmm Mm. A man that comes prepared, I like that. she goes about introducing her friends in quick succession. She quickly squeezes your upper arm either testing or claiming you as hers in front of the others, probably both. Tell us about what you do! The news on TV and radio is all buzzin about all this stuff and everyone talking about they gotta ghost in they basement or something now like it's the new thing. You believe that? Like overnight everyone's house is haunted.
Scott308

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Chuckling, Lionel gives them a quick rundown of his job. Well, that'll be good for business if everyone does have a ghost in their basement! Seriously, though, yeah, I'm a Ghostbuster. Ghosts are real, and I went to school to study them and how to fight them, making the world safe for the living. Most ghosts are really harmless, and others, like the one in the coffee shop, are more of a nuisance. I expect most of our calls will be to deal with them. It can be a challenge, and it pays well, so that's good. And we're helping people. But sometimes, you'll run across a ghost that is dangerous. Evil exists, and hopefully none of you ever encounter something like that, but my team is ready and willing if we're needed. Taking a sip of his beer, he turns to the tv. That's enough talk about work. Right now, I want to watch some preseason football. I'm interested in seeing how the rookie defensive end from Oklahoma does. I hope he makes the team.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Latiqua smiles and hangs on Lionel's are a little more and sips her drink. Sounds dangerous to me. Like military and fireman at the same time. You a football player too, right?

Male friend Yeah, you played on OU some time back, right? Man, you knocked some guys on their ass, why did you quit?

GF 1 I still call BS. she grins. Looks like a lightshow to me.

GF 2 Oh hush. You know people always been talkin about ghost and stuff around here...

GF 1 You hush yourself... People on drugs or wantin attention or something

Male friend Oh here we go... he turns around to the TV and takes a drink of his beer.
Scott308

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Yeah, I played at OU. My second year, my mom died, and then I saw her ghost- along with my dad's- at the funeral. I started researching ghosts and found out about the Ghostbusters. My coach told me I was throwing away millions by not playin' ball anymore, but I felt it was important to do this. I still love football, but this is something that will allow me to help people. And it sounds like there are plenty of people who have issues with ghosts in this area.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

Papa's Pub & Pizzaria

Aug. 10, 2018, 7:45 pm

Nice and Cool Inside.    A little smokey

There is a moment of silence, as Lionel finishes speaking, and he realizes that other than the sounds of the TVs, everyone within immediate sight seems to have hushed and are hanging on his every word.  Football or Ghost story?  Now, realizing the hush in the rest of the room, the rest of the pub is going quiet too so that they can turn and see what is going on.  With just the sounds of the TVs in the small pub now, Lionel can see every pair of eyes are on him expectantly.

GF 1   So you saw your mom and dad's ghost, huh?  How many of those beers did you have before the funeral?

Latiqua   You know what?  Why don't you just leave?  she says to the mouthier friend.  Within seconds they are arguing loudly before the other friends begin pulling them away from one another, the male friend taking Latiqua out the front door and the other GF taking GF1 out the back to separate them and give them some air.  

Lionel finds himself standing alone as all eyes turn and look at him again as if waiting to see what he will do.  Everyone seems to slowly turn back to their drinks as they murmmers start up again in the noticeably quieter barroom, but then slips back to the previous volume with a bit more laughter.  Before Lionel himself can act, he is approached by an older looking man with leathery red-tinged skin, and long iron-grey hair.  He is dressed in what was probably once a really nice dress shirt, but it has been washed far too many times.  He is also wearing a straw hat that is equally worn and sweatstained from years of use.  It has a beaded headband with a pair of old feathers.  He is holding a drink in his hand and is slightly stooped.  He eyes Lionel a long moment before he speaks in a sandy dry voice, nodding to him.   Dreams and visions about one's family... especially parents are important.  Hold onto that.  Do not let others tell you otherwise.   Hold onto those. and without waiting for another word he walks to the bar to lay his drink on the end before heading to the bathroom.

Brownie Point Pool

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel will walk over to the end of the bar where the older gentleman set his drink, waiting for him to return from the lavatory.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Bluehorse »

Papa's Pub & Pizzaria
Aug. 10, 2018, 8:00 pm
Nice and Cool Inside.    A little smokey

As time went on  Lionel got word from one of the other friends from the original group that the party was pretty much over.  GF 1 had been calmed down but only after being walked away to head to another local watering hole to cool off.  As for Latiqua she had to be all but carried away before she stopped trying to come after the other friend and they were currently just trying to keep them separated.  Male Friend Man, I'm real sorry.  This rarely happens, only like every other week or so.  You watch though, next week they will be hanging off one another talking about how much they love each other and acting like perfect friends taking selfies and all that stuff.  I don't know what their brand of crazy is called, but it makes for fun weekends.  You gonna be alright here or would you want to go track her down?

Brownie Point Pool

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Thanks, man. I'm good. Maybe it's for the best that I saw this right away. Anyway, it was nice meeting you. I'm gonna finish my beer and then head out. Take care.

Scott308

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Realizing he missed his opportunity to speak with the old man, Lionel sighs before finishing his beer. As he leaves the bar, he realizes that the night is still young, so he decides to wander around and see what the town has to offer.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Bluehorse »

Lionel sees a street seems to teem with life around him. Under the glow of neon and orange street lights, you see bars, eateries, tattoo parlors, a couple of music venues, lots of people out and about mostly in their 20's to 30 though there are plenty of people of older ages out as well. Everyone seems friendly and out to have a good time. It is strange seeing buildings of 1800's construction decked out in neon signs and so full of life and modern light, yet so well preserved as if by a loving hand. Something quite unexpected is all the art murals scattered about the old buildings. Murals of Indians, cowboys, wildlife, and sometimes just outright weird scenes are all over the downtown walls.

To the west, up the avenue, you can see the old Catholic Church on top of the low rise. And just visible from his vantage point is another small park with a prominent bronze statue. To the west, the so-called Bridge to Nowhere that crosses over the Arkansas River into Oklahoma, it is at this point you can see that the Bass Reeves statue actually facing as if he were heading into old Indian Territory.
Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Wandering the streets, Lionel passes a few bars that don't really pique his interest, but he does find a venue with a live band that he'll enter.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Bluehorse »

La Huerta Bar & Grill
Aug. 10, 2018, 8:30pm
Warm and humid, steady breeze off the river

Lionel makes his way west and quickly finds a Mexican Bar & Grill with a large open-air dining area with a large stage and live local music. Once inside he will find himself sitting and enjoying the music as well as a friendly crowd. The music is good. Not great... but good, and now and then they really nail and song and certainly know how to play and talk to a crowd. He is quickly brought water, chips, and salsa. Of course, the cute waitress asks if he wants a menu and something else to drink.

Gimmie a moderate cool roll, you will see why later. ;) Actions?

Brownie Point Pool

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Thank you. I would love a beer, whatever you recommend as long as it is something from Mexico. Bud light doesn't really cut it if I'm gonna have Mexican food, does it? He gives her a big smile. And if I'm gonna have Mexican food, I will need that menu, thank you.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Bluehorse »

Lionel is treated to a nice imported beer and a cast iron skillet of sizzling fajitas. Everything seems to be going great and he is greeted on and off by people that recognize him and make a minimal amount of small talk. Everyone seems to respect that he is out to enjoy himself.

Food done, a few beers in, the band playing their heart out to an appreciative crowd. Things are looking good!

You enjoying the town so far? that was a familiar aged voice.

As lionel turned around, the old Indian man is sitting beside him nursing a beer like he has been there the whole time.
Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Oh! Hey, yeah. I'm glad to see you again. Enjoying the town? So far. I haven't been here long enough to see much of it yet. I wanted to talk to you back in the other bar, but I didn't see you slip away. About seeing my parents after they died- I know what I saw. I won't let anyone take that away from me. It changed my life, gave me a purpose. I do what I do now because of that day. He extends his hand. My name is Lionel, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Bluehorse »

The old man doesn't extend his hand. In fact, he isn't even looking at you for the moment as he sips his drink. He doesn't really seem to be looking anywhere. This is good. Hold onto that exactly as you say. It will help you going forward. It is important to remember this, and stay on your path. There is much to see and hear in this town, but you have to stop to see it. Too many people do not do that. They see what they want, and turn and eye to what is also there right in front of them. This town and these people need someone willing to look and hear what they choose to ignore. I think you could be that person. You are on a unique path that can take you there. Pay attention to visions like the one about your parents. Those are where you can see truth. All of this? he gestures around the patio. Most all of it is a lie painted over what is really there.
Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Well, it's my job to look for the things that most people don't even know exist, or don't believe exist. It sounds like my being sent here is a good thing. From what you say, and what we've seen and heard in just our brief time here, there is a lot we can do to help the people of Fort Smith, whether they know it or not. Whether they will know it, or not, or really even care. Thank you, for sharing your wisdom with me. I hope I can live up to what you have said.

Return to “Mission Archive”