PbP Newbie Looking for a Group

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
princehomeless
Squire
Squire

PbP Newbie Looking for a Group

#1 Post by princehomeless »

Hello, I'm new to PbP (but not to roleplaying games in general). I'm looking for a game to join so I can get familiar with the format and the site. I'm open to a lot of different systems, including (but not limited to) SWN, WWN, BW, DnD 5E, and Genesys. I love writing backstory (especially diegetic backstory), and I get more out of roleplaying than combat. (and I get more out of combats that include roleplaying!) I have a number of existing DnD and SWN characters I'd love to play, but I also love character creation, so I'd be happy to make a new character at whatever level is appropriate. I'm pretty flexible in terms of posting frequency, but just to be safe, I'll say a tentative range of 1-5 times a week.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: PbP Newbie Looking for a Group

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Welcome to Unseen Servant! I hope you find it to your liking!

PbP is a different beast in a lot of ways from playing around a table, and kinda scratches a different itch. I find battlefield tactics are hard to maintain, and of course the actory-improv-social aspect is missing. But it's great for people who like to write. You can really hone your character's voice when you can edit and re-edit before hitting Publish on a response.

The pace of PbP is infamously slow, and requires some getting used to. This is especially hard at the beginning of a campaign when you're hyped and in love with your new character, and just can't wait to tear into the world! It helps a lot to find a well-run game that updates at regular intervals, so you know how to pace yourself.

Systems that work well for PbP are different than ones that work at the table. I, personally, like very light rulesets, where there's a lot more interpretation than mechanics, as I find that keeps us responding the the story rather than spending a week resolving a single action. But there are plenty of folks here who run crunchy games successfully.

As for finding a game: you're in the right part of the forum! You can see which campaigns are actively recruiting. It's also worth checking out other campaigns, and if you find one you like, inquiring with the GM. Not everyone will have room for another player, but at least they'll know your interested if room opens up later!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I think what works for PBP is more dependent on the DM/Players than on the rules system actually. Run and play what you will enjoy and it will be all good. I play in a variety of systems and run one of the crunchier games and they all work. Some DM's run games that last and some prefer shorter games. Find something that looks interesting and jump in.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Well, here are some options you might be interested in.

Tiglath is running a Traveller game, and the group is just finishing up a mission. Now would be a good time to join, and the group is fairly active in posting. While I was playing, Tiglath was happy to let me do some of my own story arcs.

The Game
My side fiction

If you want to stick to Fantasy, Spearmint is running one of the largest D&D games, with multiple groups acting in the same area. A character could go from one group to another if they wished, and Spearmint is a fun DM to play under.

The Game

princehomeless
Squire
Squire

#5 Post by princehomeless »

I don't necessarily have a preference for fantasy. I've never played Traveller, but I know it was a huge inspiration for other games I am familiar with. I'm not the biggest fan of D&D, but I'm learning and getting used to it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

If you like crunchy and backstory you could give my HarnWorld game a try. Take a look and see if it might be something you might want to try. I will be gone for the weekend shortly but can answer any questions when I get back.

viewforum.php?f=1285

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I'd definitely recommend Tiglath's game if you are looking to try traveller.
  • He's a good umpire and
  • He's looking for players
  • There are a number of long-standing players who will be able to help you get your feet under the table

Return to “Looking for players or games”