Feature Inheritance: Elf, Magic-User in 1e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Feature Inheritance: Elf, Magic-User in 1e

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Preface:
I am looking for a strict rules-as-written interpretation of the following situation.

Question:
Would a single-class Magic-User -- normally restricted to just dagger, dart, and staff -- be able to add bows and/or swords to the list of permitted weapons if they are of the Elf race?

Elf
Elf Bow Sword.jpg
Elf Bow Sword.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Magic-User
M-U Weapons.jpg
M-U Weapons.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Current Thoughts:
I'm leaning towards no.

The Elf, Magic-User would still get the +1 to hit from their race, but that bonus would be applied towards the otherwise -5 penalty from their class for using a weapon they're not permitted to use.

Thoughts?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Feature Inheritance: Elf, Magic-User in 1e

#2 Post by Rex »

We always played it as No.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

If the statement is true then the same would apply to an Elf MU, Thief (with bow) and MU/T.

It is hard to "prove a negative", but if you look two paragraphs back from the quoted paragraph it says

A character of elven stock can opt to be a fighter (maximum of 7th level), a magic-user (maximum of 11th level), a thief, or on assassin (maximum of 10th level). An elven character can also be multi-classed, i.e. a fighter/magic-user, a fighter/thief, a magic-user/thief, or a fighter/magic-user/thief. If the character is multi-classed, the following restrictions and strictures apply: Although able to operate freely with the
benefits of armor, weapons, and magical items available to the classes the character is operating in, any thieving is restricted to the armor and weaponry usable by the thief class. All earned experience is always
divided equally among the classes of the character, even though the character is no longer able to gain levels in one or more of the classes. (More detailed information is given in the CHARACTER CLASSES section hereafter.)

The inference is single class elven characters follow the same rules as humans (except level limits) and the multi-class are as described and the language states that it would not be legal for a MU/T - "If the character is multi-classed, the following restrictions and strictures apply: Although able to operate freely with the benefits of armor, weapons, and magical items available to the classes the character is operating in, any thieving is restricted to the armor and weaponry usable by the thief class."

Which leads me to agree with "The Elf, Magic-User would still get the +1 to hit from their race, but that bonus would be applied towards the otherwise -5 penalty from their class for using a weapon they're not permitted to use."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

We always played that any multi-class fighter (not dual class) can use any weapon. For multi-class thieves, the armor/weapon restrictions only apply when using their special abilities.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am The Elf, Magic-User would still get the +1 to hit from their race, but that bonus would be applied towards the otherwise -5 penalty from their class for using a weapon they're not permitted to use.
This is the RAW way to go IMNSHO.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

I appreciate all the input.

I did ultimately decide to go with this:
dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am The Elf, Magic-User would still get the +1 to hit from their race, but that bonus would be applied towards the otherwise -5 penalty from their class for using a weapon they're not permitted to use.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Hi Dave,
dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am
Question:
Would a single-class Magic-User -- normally restricted to just dagger, dart, and staff -- be able to add bows and/or swords to the list of permitted weapons if they are of the Elf race?

No.
dmw71 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am
The Elf, Magic-User would still get the +1 to hit from their race, but that bonus would be applied towards the otherwise -5 penalty from their class for using a weapon they're not permitted to use.

No. They aren't permitted to use those weapons at all. The -5 penalty applies to weapons they are permitted to use, but aren't proficient in.

A first level Elf Magic-User that is proficient in staff gets a -5 to hit with dagger and dart, and can use no other weapons.

To use spells, bows and swords, they should be an Elf Fighter/Magic-User. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Inferno wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 pm No. They aren't permitted to use those weapons at all. The -5 penalty applies to weapons they are permitted to use, but aren't proficient in.

A first level Elf Magic-User that is proficient in staff gets a -5 to hit with dagger and dart, and can use no other weapons.

To use spells, bows and swords, they should be an Elf Fighter/Magic-User. :)
Huh.

So, a party is in battle with a rust monster.

The fighter, cleric, and thief have all been killed; the last remaining character is a magic-user.

The rust monster "eats" the magic-user's dagger (which they're proficient with).

The only other weapons available are the fighter's longsword, the cleric's flail, and the thief's short sword.

The magic-user, now weaponless and out of spells, can't possibly pick up and make an attack with any of these other weapons?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Correct. Rules-wise they're not permitted to use them. Like a cleric can't use a sword even if it's the only weapon.
Gamewise, the Magic-User's lack of martial skill would prevent them from ever hitting.

Figure out a makeshift staff, or retreat to avoid the TPK, or try something else. :)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Quonundrum »

What about improvised weapons?

In effect, a magic-user could not murder Mr. Plum with the candlestick in the library because it's not a dagger, dart, or staff?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

I'd try to find the improvised weapon's equivalent.

Maybe a club for the candlestick?

I'd let them use a kitchen knife like a dagger.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Quonundrum »

That's my point, though.

If the candlestick is treated as a club, then a magic-user could not use it as an improvised weapon (for murder or otherwise), given that a club is not a permitted weapon of proficiency.

It feels like an unnecessary break in verisimilitude to use such a strict interpretation of the rules.

It's not like he'd hit the broad side of a barn with a -5 to-hit penalty, anyway. :D

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

Could a cleric use an improvised weapon of a broken bottle? Or a butcher's cleaver?

Given a dire enough situation, where no permitted weapons are available, can any character use any weapon? Could a paladin use poison if it was the only option available?

If yes, what's the purpose of this chart? :)

DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Quonundrum »

Class based prohibitions notwithstanding, a cleric or paladin could attempt to wield those weapons, subject to divine retribution, of course.

They're not physically prevented from wielding them.

The problem with the chart is that it doesn't define what permitted means. Proficiency is well defined with noted penalties for non-proficiency.

It's entirely acceptable to apply it as implied, though. I just prefer to allow characters more freedom than a strict interpretation of the chart that requires some degree of suspension of disbelief.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

Quonundrum wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am Class based prohibitions notwithstanding, a cleric or paladin could attempt to wield those weapons, subject to divine retribution, of course.
So paladins and clerics are punished for violating that chart, and magic-users are not? Any other classes get a bye on the rules? :)
Quonundrum wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am They're not physically prevented from wielding them.
I'm not saying that. Again, I'm saying those weapons are as useless to a Magic-User as spellbooks are to a Fighter. M-Us have no martial training. They can try to use them, but they won't land a telling blow. I'd let a Fighter try to read a magic scroll too, if they wanted.
Quonundrum wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am The problem with the chart is that it doesn't define what permitted means.
So I figure it's the standard definition of the word: allowed. I don't think it's a strict interpretation. It's just what the word means.
Quonundrum wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am ...suspension of disbelief.
So, our hypothetical magic-user flees the rust monster and ends up in a chamber with a candlestick, a short sword, a footman's flail and a bohemian earspoon. The rust monster catches up to him!

In my version, all objects are equally useless to the chronic non-combatant. He has to find another way.

In your version, the magic-user walks past the sword, the flail and the earspoon, and grabs the only non-weapon in the room, the candlestick! Then he turns, ready to face the monster.

Which version seems like an unnecessary break in verisimilitude? :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

My poor cleric will not be able to eat that yummy steak. No pointy forks or sharp knives allowed. ;)
Each DM makes their ruling methinks. But I certainly see what Inferno is saying.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:30 am Each DM makes their ruling methinks. But I certainly see what Inferno is saying.
Absolutely. In this case, though, I am seeking clarification of how the situation should be handled, rules-as-written.

I never considered this, but I can see how the rules could be interpreted this way:
Inferno wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 pmNo. They aren't permitted to use those weapons at all. The -5 penalty applies to weapons they are permitted to use, but aren't proficient in.
I still think this edge case is unique, though.

Their race says they're so good at using a type of weapon they get a bonus.
Their class says they can't use the weapon at all.

The character is both -- their race and their class.

Which wins out?

I'm definitely enjoying the discussion.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Quonundrum »

Inferno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:28 am So paladins and clerics are punished for violating that chart, and magic-users are not? Any other classes get a bye on the rules? :)
A paladin would be punished for using poison, an evil act. A cleric, by the class rules, are prohibited from using edged weapons that shed blood. Others get the appropriate non-proficiency penalties.
Inferno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:28 am I'm not saying that. Again, I'm saying those weapons are as useless to a Magic-User as spellbooks are to a Fighter. M-Us have no martial training. They can try to use them, but they won't land a telling blow. I'd let a Fighter try to read a magic scroll too, if they wanted.
Sorry, I was not suggesting you were saying that. I meant that a magic-user could physically wield a sword, badly, hence the non-proficiency penalty. To say he would never land a telling blow is a bit unrealistic, in my opinion.
Inferno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:28 am So I figure it's the standard definition of the word: allowed. I don't think it's a strict interpretation. It's just what the word means.
True, but in the context of the rules, I am suggesting that interpreted in conjunction with the proficiency rules, that table specifies what weapons a particular class can opt to become proficient with.
Inferno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:28 am In your version, the magic-user walks past the sword, the flail and the earspoon, and grabs the only non-weapon in the room, the candlestick! Then he turns, ready to face the monster.
Ah, but wouldn't we rule the candlestick operates as a club? In which case even the candlestick is useless!

What about a simple rock?

As a non-combatant, however, I would concede that an actual weapon could be just as dangerous to himself as to the enemy. A dexterity check each round of use to avoid a critical error (even self inflicted) would not be unreasonable.

:D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

If you are interpreting it strictly by the books and how it was played when it came out then Inferno is correct. House rules and DM rulings of course varied wildly.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Quonundrum »

Okay. My personal preferences aside, I will try to interpret the rules strictly as written. The specific words in the text therefore must be evaluated

In the elven racial bonus description, "proficiency" isn't used. However, the word proficiency is only used on pp 36-37 defining weapon proficiencies!

Pg. 16
When employing either a bow of any sort other than a crossbow, or a short or long sword, elven characters gain a bonus of +1 on their die rolls "to hit".
So, the racial description uses the word "employing", which is used interchangeably in the class descriptions with "use". In context of the rules then, these two words are equivalent and this is important when we look at Table II and pp 36-37.

In the Table II footnotes, the allowed weapons are clarified as those "useable", by the class or in general. So, we can assume "use" is equivalent to "permitted" in this context.

Under Weapons on page 36 we can see the same equivalence ...
At the start, your character will be able to employ but a limited number of weapons. The number is determined by class.
If proficiency with any given weapon is not held by the character, it is used at a penalty as shown on the table which follows.
So, to recap. "Employable"~"Permissible"~"Usable" and further limited by the rules of proficiency.

How improvised weapons are handled, to my knowledge, are undefined in the rules as written. Otherwise, it appears Inferno and Rex are indeed correct from a strict rules interpretation.

Return to “General RPG discussion”