The Ribbon Cutting.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Ribbon Cutting.

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy keeps trying to find other things to work on out of the shot of the camera and away from the interviewers. Busying himself with cleaning the equipment and making sure things look neat and tidy.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Roy keeps trying to find other things to work on out of the shot of the camera and away from the interviewers. Busying himself with cleaning the equipment and making sure things look neat and tidy.
Roll brains Mod. 10 or more your good. Then roll again for hard. I got a plan :)
GreyWolfVT

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Bluehorse »

The Firehouse
Ribbon Cutting Day
Aug. 9, 2018, 9:25am
Hot and humid outside.

Julia is busy wrangling the Mayor's men and women and trying to keep them from wandering into the lab areas and living quarters upstairs, quickly shoeing a few away and redirecting them to other parts of the lobby. She then quickly begins to tape off stairs with hastily printed signs that say, "Private Area, Employee's Only."

Lionel makes a quick friend with the old photographer who turns out to be a sports fan that followed his career at OU. He then makes his way outside just as the Mayor shows up.

Roy slips out of the lobby and finds himself in the lab away from all the hubbub. A long sigh of relief and he is able to finally get some time alone with the equipment. As he begins looking over the various items... Packs, traps, PKE attachments, etc, he quickly notices a problem with an item of equipment and makes the easy fix. He doesn't even need to replace any parts, one simple adjustment here... and... Got it! A quick check on the diagnostic and everything is back to optimal condition!

Since you were wanting to do general maintenance, I did exactly that for you! So you get to pick a piece of equipment, just one, and say that the next round that it is directly implemented, that it will have a +1d6 to operation. This can be any piece of equipment, used by anyone, but you have to declare it now if you want it to be for you or someone else, and what piece of equipment it is. This will be a temporary effect for 1 round only. ;) Way to go, Radio!

Mac Slips into the southern gab with ease and before long the two city leaders and he are having a good time, laughing and exchanging stories. They seem to genuinely like the big man and he is leaving a good impression. There seems to be a heavy scent in the air that all three men know that at some point the crossed over from serious talk to "Front porch" talk between friends. This was as good as saying "you're one of us" for the moment. They continued exchanging a few stories, each on getting more outlandish until one of the Mayor's Men (totally sounds like a cover band name now that I see it in type) looks at the other. Ya think we should tell him about the courthouse ghost? the other laughs. That old snipe hunt? Really? Waste your breath and go right ahead! they laugh a but and wait for Mac's reaction.

Please I was about to say something about these rolls back on Friday when I first saw them, but I am happy that I had an obligation to hold me from posting since then. I just realized that I have been "overcharging" so to speak on difficulties, and had in my mind bumped everything up a level... so I was treating Moderate Rolls as Hard etc. I apologize! I will keep a closer eye on this in the future and try to to get mixed up. I don't believe this has led to anything game-breaking yet, but if you feel otherwise, we can certainly talk about it. That being said... Good rolls Mac!

Jason Recognizes the language as being Vietnamese, and even happens to recognize what is said as being the equivalent of "Oh great, what now?", and although Etta doesn't quite catch the conversation, she does notice as Gabby pauses at the door and gives Jason a look of interest before ducking out to tend to her duties. This look isn't exactly lost on Jason either as he looks on after she walks away. Obviously, she was distracted by her duties as the Mayor's Aid but she did take a moment to get another look at Jason before leaving.

Okay! So the Language one was pretty straightforward in either you recognize it or not. The second roll was to see if you recognized it enough to know the phrase, Etta failed both rolls but Jason squeaked by. Jason can roll Impossible Brains (30 or more) and if you make it I will say you can speak it. The third was perception at moderate meaning 10 or more, to see if you notice how she looked over her shoulder at Jason. Both of you made that roll so you both recognize her interest there :)
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Bluehorse »

Etta steps outside to continue to set J.T. straight, but he has moved on to harassing one of his workers. She notices that the street in front of the Firehouse has been blocked off in quick fashion and there are both FSPD and FSFD present to do the job. The ladder trucks seem more for the show for the cameras as part of the ceremony than necessity. There is one EMT crew standing nearby but out of the way on the front north corner of the firehouse. There is also a trio of news vans pulling into the parking area on the north side of the building. Doubtless, Bur will be with them. There is a crowd of people beginning to gather in various directions. It is a rather mixed batch, some young, many old, almost every one of them seems to fit in as the typical working-class sort. One can imagine some of them work either 2nd or 3rd shift which is why they are able to be here.

A somewhat portly woman squeeze past, of all people, Officer Hightail which the rest of the team would recognize from yesterday, but Etta wasn't there. She hollers as Julia joins Etta outside. [/dialog] the other laughs. Julia! Over here. There you are. You look so pretty, we need to do something with your hair though, you're going to be on TV darling, oh! Who's this? The woman, unmistakable Julia's mother by her face and hair, ask as she looks over to Etta with a friendly smile.

Meanwhile, as the workers set up for the mayor's arrival... there is a sharp whistle from one of the officers and part of the barricade is moved aside and a long white limousine pulls in and parks on the curb opposite of the firehouse. The driver gets out and briskly walks over to open the door for a man dressed in a white monochrome suite and hand, chewing on a big cigar. He takes it out between his fingers and nods to the driver, saying something to which he nods and goes back into the driver's seat, where he remains. J.T. makes his way over and is immediately on the man's ear, speaking excitedly, to which the man nods slowly, putting the cigar back in place as he grabs his lapels casually and slowly begins walking over in this fine white cowboy boots, looking around as if half paying attention. As they get close to the firehouse he puts his hand up, shutting up J.T., calmly saying: at'll do, J.T. Now hush before you blow a gasket and make a mess on my street. Looks like the Mayor has arrived.

The Mayor:
MayorSandyS.jpg
MayorSandyS.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Locations:
Lobby & Lab:
Mission1.5-1-2.jpg
Mission1.5-1-2.jpg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Outside:
Outside1.5-2.jpg
Outside1.5-2.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Actions?

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 46/46
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 46/46
Roy O'Dowd: 48/48
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 30 /34
David "Mac" McAuslan: 37/40
GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll just pick one of the traps then i guess.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta greets Julia's mother warmly. "I've only just met your daughter, this morning—but what a morning it's been! She's a fine, capable woman, and I'm looking forward to working with her. I hope we can catch up, later, but it looks like I have some glad-handing that needs doing."

Seeing the mayor disembark his limo, Etta straightens her lapels and checks that her GBI pin is prominently displayed before approaching the ostentatious display of white haberdashery. "Mr. Mayor? Vanette Conklin, Ghostbuster. My, this is quite the to-do! Fort Smith certainly knows how to make a body feel welcome."
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Taaz »

Jason watches out the windows and sees some more excitement. "That must be where the party is at" He chuckles as he walks out the door.

He sees a gentleman in a white suit and hat and thinks that this must be the mayor with the way every one is reacting. He looks around the crowd and sees Sargent Hightail, "Need to Give him the Nickle tour, but I might be able to do that with the whole group." Bur was standing in the back, "Oh man Jacob was supposed to make sure everything stayed smoothed out with him... Mac seems to be entertain those City Hall fellas so, maybe he could help." He considered for a moment "Better check with the man in the suit first" and walks over to where the mayor is in time to hear his comment to JT and laughs audibly.

He stands there waiting to make sure the mayor is in a talking mood, before introducing himself.
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Taaz »

I spent 4 brownie points because the part of Kentucky Jason grew up with is right near FT Knox and after the Vietnam war there were lots of Vietnamese restaurants, churches, and markets. I made the roll but I would say he only knows a little bit and very conversational stuff.

Brains: [7d6] = 25 Ghost:[1d6] = 6
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote:I spent 4 brownie points because the part of Kentucky Jason grew up with is right near FT Knox and after the Vietnam war there were lots of Vietnamese restaurants, churches, and markets. I made the roll but I would say he only knows a little bit and very conversational stuff.

Brains: [7d6] = 25 Ghost:[1d6] = 6
I'm confused. what are you going for with that roll?
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Taaz »

Bluehorse wrote:
...Jason can roll Impossible Brains (30 or more) and if you make it I will say you can speak it. The third was perception at moderate meaning 10 or more, to see if you notice how she looked over her shoulder at Jason. Both of you made that roll so you both recognize her interest there :)
Rolling for being able to speak the language, sorry I should have put that in since it was a few posts back
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:
...Jason can roll Impossible Brains (30 or more) and if you make it I will say you can speak it. The third was perception at moderate meaning 10 or more, to see if you notice how she looked over her shoulder at Jason. Both of you made that roll so you both recognize her interest there :)
Rolling for being able to speak the language, sorry I should have put that in since it was a few posts back
ROFL! You know what... I spent so much time trying to get this dang thing posted I forgot about that roll. Gotcha. Looks like Jason speaks Vietnamese.
GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy keeps busying himself with tidying up the gear once that is done if nothing else can be repaired with what they have on hand for parts he will go to the library to try and find something to read.

Roamingvapor
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by Roamingvapor »

Dave McAuslan

Mac has been chewing the fat and making some inroads with the fellas from City Hall. He thinks to himself "it never hurts to have friends in high places".
Then, paydirt.
One of them mentions a haunting in City Hall itself! This could open the franchise up to a nice, juicy municipal contract.

Well fellas, you may call it a "snipe hunt", but that's kinda in our wheelhouse. I've been brushing up on local history and I know the fellas would be stoked to investigate it. If there's nothing there, now youll have it on paper. If there is, I'm sure we can take care of it. It's a great chance either way to show folks what we're about.
I'm all ears, lay it on me.
I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Bluehorse »

The Firehouse
Ribbon Cutting Day
Aug. 9, 2018, 9:35am
Hot and humid outside.

Sorry so quiet! Here is a quick post to move things forward for the week. Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

Julia and her mom smile to Etta and easily slide to the sidelines to chat as Etta disengages with them gracefully and moved to intercept the Mayor just as he shuts up J.T. like a master. The tall man takes out his cigar with his left hand as he extends his right in a practiced smooth manner. This guy was slick to say the least, and the most dangerous part of this realization for Etta and other onlookers was that he obviously knew it. Dr. Conklin, a pleasure to meet you. Now if my information is correct, your daughter is part owner of the flower shop just down the way here. The little yellow one? Nice establishment. Order flowers from there regular myself, for the wife and others. Very fine work coming out of there. A lot of talent. Trying to remember the name of the young lady in there... Daisy? Violet? Seem to remember it being a flower. I'm simply embarrassed that it escapes me at the moment.

J.T. pipes up. "Uh.. Lily! Lily is the name.

The mayor nods and points to J.T. with his cigar. Right. Lily. Lovely young woman. You did right by here, Mama Conklin. So tell me, Ma'am. What brings a woman such as yourself into this kind of business. Not being sexist or anything... He waves the idea off as J.T. rattles off Or agist... or racist... or... The mayor nods and points to J.T. with his cigar again... apparently it was a practiced gesture of subtle authority. Right. All that... Now hush, J.T... The adults are talking. He turns back to Etta. Forgive my partner here, he's good at what he does, but he's like a box of last years lightbulbs, a little dim if you catch my meaning. But I am curious about you my fair doctor. Yours is a unique story I would be interested in hearing.

It is this moment there are a few flashes as the Mayor, J.T., and Etta interact in the middle of the street.

Jason of course gets a front row seat to this entire show and can see J.T. barely seems to flinch at being insulted by the mayor. Seems like he is used to it, actually. For the Mayor's part, he does acknowledge Jason, offering a hand to shake and a nod though he is very engaged with Etta at the moment, it is full grip, full eye contact, nonverbally saying, You're next, hand in there, son.

He does notice that Bur and his camera guy have set up and are communicating through mics to the control room back at the station and getting their shot ready. He seems to only be passively looking around as he runs through the checks. His phone has been pinging with usual Screecher pings, nothing of note, but then he gets one that is obviously a text. Everyone else gets this as well from Julia. Update on Jacob. Doesn't look good. Doctor says complete mental breakdown. They want to keep him for observation. Anyone up for managing the Press? He had arranged for giving Bur the exclusive. Not sure on details for where or when.

As said before, with your roll earlier, Jason officially speaks Vietnamese. Will be sending a private message soon to let you know what she said.

Those that are outside can see Gabby the mayor's assistant fluttering here and there managing the operations of the event despite her obviously being shy, the workers responded to her and it was obvious that things were now made ready for the ribbon cutting. She moved over towards the side of the podium where she waited, but spoke into her phone, eyes looking around like she is ready for something to go wrong.

Roy is able to work out some kinks on one of the traps that has seen a little use the last couple days. General maintenance wins again! Don't wait for it to break, little fixes now. He keeps looking about the firehouse for something else to do, cleaning up and checking for maintenance needs, effectively keeping out of the crowd out front. Alright. If you want to keep going this direction, let's do a hard brains roll to see if you find something else that needs fixing.

Mac is the lone buster in the lobby which has cleared out other than the two officials he is speaking to. He knows a good lead when he hears one and sells it well. The two men go from mostly joking to nodding like they see the logic. Win-win, and a story to boot! Okay, so here is the thing... You've heard of Judge Parker, right? Well, his courthouse is still here. We do live reenactments and the like around here for the tourist and young ones, especially night court... But some of the folks that work at the old courthouse say they have actually seen the old judge there at night, holding court like he used to... The second one interrupts. Nah, you've got it wrong... They've seen the old secretary. Cept for the other day when the one fella swore he saw Bass Reeves walking out the front doors. The first one starts up again. Anyway, folks have always said the historic site is haunted. All kinds of claims to see Judge Parker or a marshal, I even heard when I was a kid that people used to see civil war soldiers out there by the canon. Now look, I don't personally believe it much, but we live in weird times. Who knows, right? Again, the second one moves in. The park closes at sundown except for special events, but if you want a pass, I can arrange that. We do it all the time for paranoia investigators. The first: paranormal. The second: Yeah, that.
Anyway, the paperwork is easy, couple signatures and you are good to go. I'd sign off on it for you out sheer curiosity.

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 42/46
Roy O'Dowd: 48/48
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta beams when the Mayor mentions her daughter. "My Lily has had nothing but fine things to say about you, both as a customer and as the head of local government."

When asked about herself, she says, "Oh, Mr. Mayor, I have a story that will curl your hair and then straighten it out again. Maybe sometime when we're aren't standing in the middle of the street? It's more of a bourbon-and-cigars story. As for GhostBusters International, they are a progressive organization with opportunities for the daring and curious from any stripe of life." She leans in with a conspiratorial smile, "Besides, we can't leave it all up to the whippersnappers, now can we? Someone has to make sure their noses are wiped and the nuclear accelerators are put away." Seeing Jason approaching, she introduces him to the Mayor, eager to have someone else share the spotlight of the Mayor's attention.

Afterwards, she says, "Mr. Mayor, I'm sure your people have everything all scheduled out, but would you like a tour of the facility? We're still moving in, and aren't completely settled in, but you'll get the gist."
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Taaz »

Jason is standing there watching the Mayor and all he can think is the cigars, the boss caddy, and that white suit. "Anyone who rolls around like this would show up at a minister's funeral dressed in feathers." and chuckles to himself. He watches Etta handle the mayor with a combination of grace and maternal pride, she might need be our liaison to City Hall he thinks right as the mayor shakes his hand as he is introduced. Sir he nods.

No sooner had he done that before his phone buzzes in his pocket.

Update on Jacob. Doesn't look good. Doctor says complete mental breakdown. They want to keep him for observation. Anyone up for managing the Press? He had arranged for giving Bur the exclusive. Not sure on details for where or when.

"Hmm too bad, we can see what we can do to help cuz he seemed like a good kid" he thinks nodding to himself. He types back to the group chat If there is anything the DRs say we can do to help we are on it. He waits a second I wonder if it would be possible about getting a sample of his brain tissue and spinal fluid, effects of a paranormal induced psychological trauma aren't well understood.
GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

guess brains using a bp? Brains (10) [3d6] = 10 G: [1d6] = 6

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Bluehorse »

The Firehouse
Ribbon Cutting Day
Aug. 9, 2018, 9: 45am
Hot and humid outside.

moving this forward a scoche.
Jason wrote:If there is anything the DRs say we can do to help we are on it. He waits a second I wonder if it would be possible about getting a sample of his brain tissue and spinal fluid, effects of a paranormal induced psychological trauma aren't well understood.
Julia Okay, that is creepy.

The mayor nods to what Etta says about better times and places. Truth. And I would love a tour. I like to see how my investments operate. Without giving her time to react to that last comment, he then turns to Jason. Mayor Sandy Sanders. And you are?

Roy is unable to find anything else that needs cleaning or tuning up. He's allllllllllloooooonee....

Or so he thinks. When he looks up he can see a haggard face in the window that ducks down and disappears from outside in the alleyway.

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 42/46
Roy O'Dowd: 47/48

Return to “Mission Archive”