Revisiting The Caves: Pt.2

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Revisiting The Caves: Pt.2

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Placeholder for our newest thread:

With 3 full days remaining before their agreed upon mission to help the gnolls, the small group decides to try their luck at the Caves of Chaos complex once again.

Though thoroughly rested and fully healed, with new spells at their disposal, they party is disappointed to find a soggy, rainy morning when they arrive at the front gates to gather their weapons.

Bugs Donato G (T2) AC:3 16/16
Haldric Hammerheart D (C1) AC:3 12/12
Rida (F1) AC:2 10/10
Loyn Shortbeard D (F1) AC:5 12/12
Gyb the Meager Human (M1) AC:10 8/8
Keya Redd H-E (C1/R1) AC:5 12/12
Cloudia Birthmire (T1) AC:6 6/6
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Revisiting The Caves: Pt.2

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It seems downtime in town is not necessary for this group, so let's get back to some action here.

I have the tread unlocked now, so let's kick this mission off and see what happens.

Unable to locate their temporary friend Cloudia anywhere, Bugs, Haldric, Rida, Gyb, Keya, and Loyn leave the safety of the Keep to trod out into the wet wilderness on their way to the Caves of Chaos again.

At the intersection of the Keep trail and the main road, the party can see a short line of covered wagons and carts arriving from the south.

To the north, the road looks as open as it is wet.

Actions?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rida

"Cobb talked about a flying disc crashing into the hills. Maybe we could find out some more about that and check it out?"
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He looks off into the distance and rubs his chin in the manner he sees wise people do. "Hmmm, that could be interesting. What's a flying disc?"

"We have to fight in three days, right? Maybe some more scouting? Where did the other group go, maybe they have some information. Ooh, and we should ask them to help in the raid!"
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ateno »

"We should not get too far far into the deep, they could have killed us, I want to pay my debt."

Keya Redd
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

"To Gyb, the Caves sound good. Money is plenty there." He puts his head to one side. "But soon we'll go there anyway, and Gyb doesn't want be robbed by bandits again."

"Gyb owes Loyn several favors. If Loyn wants to find the disc and his father, Gyb will follow that way."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't understand taking such liberties with the dialog here.

As PC's, you have absolutely no idea what happened with the flying disk at this point.

Is there some reason you didn't want to discuss these details in the tavern thread, when Cobb was around?

I realize it's no fun sitting around waiting for someone else to set up the next encounter, but the blatant disregard for discovering details beforehand really concerns me.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

For my part, I think there is a misunderstanding. I was slow, as has been usual recently, and didn't get a post in at the tavern before you posted on Tuesday. I thought you were pushing us along because the group as a whole didn't post much in the tavern, so I went along with things in this thread.

I also posted in the tavern, trying to keep that conversation going and get more info. Poorly, probably, as is Bugs' M.O.

I do want the information from Cobb and would be fine with striking everything in this thread since the placeholder post on the 16th.
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Jernau35 »

Yes, I thought we were just moving along quickly. Cobb mentioned the disc while he was talking to Loyn. Then the link to this thread was posted. I assumed that, since Loyn knew about the disc before we left, then technically we all at least knew it existed.

I'm also fine with starting this again.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Sorry OM, I suspect this one is on me. I jumped to this thread and started talking about the disc when I should have just let it play out in the other one.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No need for sorry, I just want to talk this over so I can figure out why this is happening.

My main issue is this:

Every time we return to "town" in these games (not just this game but every game I have ever ran or played in), at least a quarter of the players from the group completely stop posting thoughts or actions. Like they don't have ANY interest in moving their plotlines or the game forward in any way. I simply do NOT get that, but I guess it is what it is.

Unfortunately, when I notice that players aren't "playing", I panic and try to do something to move things along myself, before they sit around doing nothing for so long they forget about the game completely. (I have actually seen this happen before a few times.)

I am not sure if that is the correct way to handle things, but I am also not sure why a player would do this in the first place, since "town" is the only place you can do certain things.

I always appreciate the players who are trying to move things forward, but I also prefer that the details of the next expedition are worked out before the mission starts, and not discussed "along the way".

Please feel free to join back in with HG who is still discussing these details in the tavern.

If those of you who haven't posted since returning want to explain why, that would also be great to know, but I aint holding my breath on that one.
:lol:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

For me it depends on the character and game. I have plans for Rida but not yet ready to start working on them at the keep and was mostly just moving things along since the group already has another commitment in a few days. In other games I am sometimes active in town and other times not, depending on what the character has going. Unfortunately there isn't always something for the character to do in town and some players are clearly not as enthused about the town type activities as they are about the non-town activities. I think these issues are present in all games including face to face games around a table, it just seems worse in pbp as it is easier to loose players.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

For me it just depends. Many times I use the 'town interlude' as just that, a chance to prioritize life and work and stuff. Some times I get motivated and do something like the dialogue with the priest guy. Generally, I have always been more of an action guy then a role play heavy player.

Haldric nods at Keya, "Indeed, we have a few days to wet our appetite on exploration - but let us remember our commitments!"

Should Haldric be at 12/12 if we are all healed up?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Caves
Now With More Cobb
Early Afternoon, Raining

Cobb sobers up long enough to meet his new group at the gates, wearing studded leather, carrying a shield and longsword combo, with a nice longbow strapped across his back. He doesn't say a word after nodding to Loyn and the others, holding absolutely no intentions whatsoever of leading the group once they start out.
Cobb the Woodsmen.jpg
Cobb the Woodsmen.jpg (73.27 KiB) Viewed 104 times

With the mysterious Cloudia no longer anywhere to be found, the party trades a wilderness fighter type in for their missing thief. With no representation from the arcane arts in the group, they set out for the caves anyway, hoping to find Crabgrass and Loyn's dog biscuit before he too disappears.

Bugs, Haldric, Rida, Gyb, Keya, Loyn, and Cobb trod out into the wet wilderness on their way to the Caves of Chaos again.

At the intersection of the Keep trail and the main road, the party can see a short line of covered wagons and carts slowly arriving from the south.

To the north, the road looks as open as it is wet. The rumble of thunder in the distance entertains the travelers as they prepare to set out from the Keep again.

Actions?

Bugs Donato G (T2) AC:3 16/16
Haldric Hammerheart D (C1) AC:3 12/12
Rida (F1) AC:2 10/10
Loyn Shortbeard D (F1) AC:5 12/12
Gyb the Meager Human (M1) AC:10 8/8
Keya Redd H-E (C1/R1) AC:5 12/12
Cobb (F1) AC:6 14/14
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Rida

"Shower day." Rida exclaims excitedly.

He moves along at his normal steady pace with the others.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ateno »

"Do we want to check in with the convoy?"

Keya
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb nods. "Gyb thinks to take a few minutes would not hurt".
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He looks to the North and the thunder, then nods in agreement with Gyb. "Maybe they saw the others, or at least know something about the bandits."

Bugs suggests they stay at the intersection and wait for the convoy to come to them. Maybe even one or two are heading north.
Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#19 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

He opens his mouth to catching a few raindrops on his tongue and says,“Agreed, let them come to us, we may be able to get some intel from them.”
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Rida

"Yeah, let them come to us. No need to walk in the wrong direction."

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”