IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

#1 Post by sulldawga »

The party, having reconnected with old friends and made new ones, decides to abandon all old jobs and form an Adventuring Party. You gather in the city of Port Brax, where enough silver changes hands on any given day it's practically guaranteed some will fall into your hands as well.

Seeing as how you have a Dwarf and a half-Skorn in your ranks, you have naturally gravitated toward the Fearless Knight Tavern, which is popular with adventuring types and Dwarves.

Whilst contemplating the bulletin board in search of some silver to bolster their meager coinpurses, you notice a low rumble among the patrons as a tall woman dressed entirely in white enters the tavern. A few of the rowdier ale-guzzlers rise to make her acquaintance but she is immediately followed by a rather large Thuel barbarian, arms deeply etched with tattoos, and the patrons quickly return to contemplating the bottoms of their mugs.

The woman turns to you, which reveals her to be both strikingly beautiful and possessing a ragged scar diagonally across her face. Somehow the scar detracts not an iota from her radiance. A circlet of white metal gently rests upon her head, while a white gold torc with a sizable ruby hangs from her neck. She holds a crooked staff, with another ruby nestled within the carved tip.

A word, if you will?

She gestures to the table behind you. Whether out of politeness or curiosity, you acquiesce and take your seats. She joins you, her companion standing mute behind her.

My name is Tairisa. I am, or was, an adventurer like yourselves. You are adventurers, yes? That's the word on the street, at least. So... there are a great many items, of interest to a great many people, that disappeared when Mount Rokan exploded and the Second Age ended. These items, missing for centuries, are worth much silver to the right buyer. I have made a lot of coin retrieving them in the past but suffice to say I have discovered delving the depths of the great libraries of Northgate to be safer than delving ruins and crypts. Yet you four are made of sterner stuff, eh? I reckon we can find some common ground that makes us both a little coin. I discover the location of a trinket of value. You fetch it for me. I pay you for it and save you the trouble of finding a willing buyer. You keep whatever else you find.

She pauses, and looks around at you all.

What say you?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

#2 Post by sulldawga »

The job board at the Fearless Knight Tavern

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"These jobs you speak of, when we are not on them we may do as we please?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sulldawga »

Tairisa

For now, our relationship is transactional. Once you receive the location of an item from me, you have a limited amount of time to find it and return. Once you're back, you collect your fee and move on to other things. If you do well, I may have other tasks for you. You can accept or pass at any time. I have other business associates who may be more interested than you.

If you fail, return to me and tell me of your adventure. If circumstances beyond your control prevented you from succeeding, we may still be able to do business. If you prove incompetent, we go our separate ways. If you take my item and do not return it to me, well... I will not be pleased. And Malgur hates it when I'm displeased. He likes to see me smiling.

The Thuel barbarian behind her smiles. It's not a pleasant sight.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Shysie

Shysie smiles back at the barbarian.

"Since you are here I assume you have something you would like for us to retrieve for you. I am open to the idea if you will share the details."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sulldawga »

Tairisa

Speaking quietly, she says, There is an old manor house two days' travel from here. The house is nothing but a heap of stones by now, picked over thrice and thrice again many years ago. However, I have discovered that one of the previous owners was a cultist and had a shrine dedicated to a minor demon below the house. I believe the shrine contains a book with pages made of sheets of beaten metal. This book contains instructions on how to summon the demon and bend it to the summoner's will.

One thing you must know about me from the start: I am no servant of Chaos. I will admit to being somewhat... cynical in how I earn my living but I will not harm the innocent while doing so. That being said, I'm not above turning a profit on this discovery. I happened to mention this book to the Great Judge of the Temple of Wodon, and he was very interested in ensuring that book never gets used.

You head out there and find the hidden entrance to the cellar. Get the book. Return it to me. I sell it to the Great Judge, the demon stays locked away in Hell, and we get a little jingle in our pockets. Well, you get a little jingle. I'm going to give the book to the Judge out of the kindness of my heart, and then ask a tiny favor of him. But that's not your concern, eh?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

Tairisa

25 sp each. And again, you can keep anything of value in the shrine, excepting the book.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"How far to this shrine? Wondering if the 25sp will even cover our travel expenses."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sulldawga »

Rex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 am Shysie

"How far to this shrine? Wondering if the 25sp will even cover our travel expenses."
Tairisa

As I said before, it is two days' travel from here.

Rations are common gear (1d3 sp) and you start the game with a week's worth. You have no other travel expenses. Maybe you're just attempting to drive a hard bargain here but otherwise, I'm not understanding.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Rex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 am Shysie

Sorry, my poor attempt at haggling I guess. Not very good at it in real life either.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"I am willing to accept your offer if everyone does."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ybn1197 »

Sitting quietly, Baldwin shakes his head affirmatively to Shysie's unasked question. Sitting still was never one of his practiced skills and ale cost money, something he found himself in short supply of at the moment.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sulldawga »

Seeing agreement from the party, Tairisa lightly taps the floor with her staff.

We're agreed then! I will give you a day to prepare and acquire any equipment you need for the expedition. Meet here tomorrow at dawn and I will share how to get to the site. And remember, tell no one. If there are any claim jumpers, so to speak, they will most likely want you dead.

We can roleplay any equipment purchases or speed it up and get you on the road. Let me know.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:25 am Drasig Brak

"What can you tell us of our destination? Anything in particular we should prepare for?"
Tairisa

The Highlord's troops patrol the farmlands but no further. Outside of that, you could see anything. Skorn, barbarians, wolves, you name it. But generally there are Rangers who are patrolling further afield in large numbers so the groups you do see are small and keeping a low profile. Young ones looking to get blooded for the first time. You'll probably still want to run away from them but if you can't, you'll have a chance in a fight. Don't worry, I wouldn't send you out to die.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"Lets get some rest and head out first thing in the morning."

I think she is OK on gear. Should we pick up some group gear with the money we got up front? Rope, pitons, that sort of thing?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

Miebies

"I agree we should get some rope and pinons just in case. Other than that I am ready to go."

Sorry for the delay with my illness.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sulldawga »

Pitons are something of a modern invention. They don't exist in this game. What are you trying to accomplish? If you're looking to lift something heavy, or lower yourself down into a pit or the like, you could get a block & tackle, which will cost you... 3 sp.

: 1d3 3

Just tell me who's buying it and who's carrying it.

Return to “Tales of Argosa (Tales of Argosa)”