Chapter 1: The Black City

Eric.D
Eric.D
Scout
Scout

Re: Chapter 1: The Black City

#141 Post by Eric.D »

VVhite-Crow wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:38 pm
Akhom has committed a great sin, and must go to She Who Understands the Signs to receive the retribution.
At this point I would rather like to know if Farouk knows more about She Who Understands the Signs and how Akhoms retribution could look like.
Seems like a Wise test. Religion-wise? She Who Understand the Signs-wise? Unless you determine that Farouk is from this area and completely familiar with the local culture, in which case, I'll just share the details.

VVhite-Crow
Scout
Scout

#142 Post by VVhite-Crow »

Eric.D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 am
Akhom has committed a great sin, and must go to She Who Understands the Signs to receive the retribution.
At this point I would rather like to know if Farouk knows more about She Who Understands the Signs and how Akhoms retribution could look like.
Seems like a Wise test. Religion-wise? She Who Understand the Signs-wise? Unless you determine that Farouk is from this area and completely familiar with the local culture, in which case, I'll just share the details.
He is a nomad and probably has been around the Hegurji Mountains occasionally during his youth. But he's a smuggler for 4 years already, and knows the outlaws for the same time. So I think he is rather familiar with their religions. Especially being superstitious himself. But I wouldn't mind rolling a Wise, when there are interesting consequences. To find out what the retribution looks like and who or what She Who Understands the Signs is, a She Who Understands the Signs-Wise would be appropriate.
BL She Who Understands the Signs-Wise [_5d6s4]=(2, 6, 3, 3, 5)=2=2

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#143 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:11 pm At Herzebuh's admonition, Akhom stops struggling.

"Let me go, please," his voice is still angry, with little contrition, but it is calmer, "I have been rash. I will abide by the law."

There is a mutter among the small crew as they remark on this pronouncement.

Herzebuh looks to Lilly and Suen-Magir, "He is saying that he will not harm you. I do not know if your people know the law of hospitality. Akhom has committed a great sin, and must go to She Who Understands the Signs to receive the retribution. The law says we owe a debt, and must keep you all safe here until the retribution is done or you choose to leave."
Lilly rolls over his legs and hips (probably not the most corfortable for him considering her armor) to land on her feet besides him.

She takes a look at Suen and at Nunesh sitting in his circles in the distance... Shares a glance with Finnithir looking for confirmation... (@GM: let me know how he reacts)

"We're taking Urkazzar with us to see the city his ancestors were driven from. " - this does not sound like a question.
If there is any hesitation I'm happy to roll for it
She grabs him by the forearm, helping him up - "If your customs demand that you join us I wouldn't be oppose having another competent armed-hand, specially if your as capable at throwing that spear as at striking with it." - trying to flatter him despite his failure in the fight - "BUT, if you do join us, have no illusions regarding your role: you'd be to protect the demon-touched you just try to attack... Above all else. Would you swear to it? Does anger permit that?"
I am not an OathSwearer so I can't make an official Oath but I'm wondering if there's something I can do here to leverage his sense of honnor.

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#144 Post by Eric.D »

VVhite-Crow wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:31 am
Eric.D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 am
He is a nomad and probably has been around the Hegurji Mountains occasionally during his youth. But he's a smuggler for 4 years already, and knows the outlaws for the same time. So I think he is rather familiar with their religions. Especially being superstitious himself. But I wouldn't mind rolling a Wise, when there are interesting consequences. To find out what the retribution looks like and who or what She Who Understands the Signs is, a She Who Understands the Signs-Wise would be appropriate.
BL She Who Understands the Signs-Wise [_5d6s4]=(2, 6, 3, 3, 5)=2=2
I should set the Ob before you roll! I had an Ob of 3 in mind (i.e. My Favorite Ob), so this would be a failure.

Farouk would therefore have the impression that She Who Understands the Signs is probably a real person, or persons. She seems to be primarily important to these and other bandits. The people living in tribes would not defer to her authority, they would go to see the Father of the Tribe and have him settle any issues. It's actually pretty uncommon for the bandits to discuss her, this particular conflict has probably heard her mentioned more than you would usually hear in several months.

Importantly, and very wrongly, Farouk believes that She Who Understands the Signs is probably a distant, aloof dispute-settler. Her name seems to be invoked when there is a disagreement or a line has been crossed.

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#145 Post by Eric.D »

hidetzugu wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 pm
Lilly rolls over his legs and hips (probably not the most corfortable for him considering her armor) to land on her feet besides him.

She takes a look at Suen and at Nunesh sitting in his circles in the distance... Shares a glance with Finnithir looking for confirmation... (@GM: let me know how he reacts)

"We're taking Urkazzar with us to see the city his ancestors were driven from. " - this does not sound like a question.
If there is any hesitation I'm happy to roll for it
She grabs him by the forearm, helping him up - "If your customs demand that you join us I wouldn't be oppose having another competent armed-hand, specially if your as capable at throwing that spear as at striking with it." - trying to flatter him despite his failure in the fight - "BUT, if you do join us, have no illusions regarding your role: you'd be to protect the demon-touched you just try to attack... Above all else. Would you swear to it? Does anger permit that?"
I am not an OathSwearer so I can't make an official Oath but I'm wondering if there's something I can do here to leverage his sense of honnor.
Oooh, this is very good! Fun! I'd like you to roll an honor-wise test, Ob 3. If you succeed, I will let you dictate how his honor would require him to join you. If you fail, he and Herzebuh will insist that he must go to She Who Understands the Signs.
Finnithir gives you a look of almost smug admiration, as though he never doubted you would come out victorious, and says, with ebullience that sharply contrasts with the situation, "May it be as my beloved says."

Urkazzar, now standing and looking a little uncertain, smiles at the pronouncement and nods happily.

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#146 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:39 pm Oooh, this is very good! Fun! I'd like you to roll an honor-wise test, Ob 3. If you succeed, I will let you dictate how his honor would require him to join you. If you fail, he and Herzebuh will insist that he must go to She Who Understands the Signs.

Well, that's a Fail

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#147 Post by Eric.D »

hidetzugu wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm
Eric.D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:39 pm Oooh, this is very good! Fun! I'd like you to roll an honor-wise test, Ob 3. If you succeed, I will let you dictate how his honor would require him to join you. If you fail, he and Herzebuh will insist that he must go to She Who Understands the Signs.

Well, that's a Fail
"No," says Akhom, roughly, "I cannot."

"The law is clear, he must receive retribution from She Who Understands the Signs," Herzebuh apologizes conciliatorily, "Though it is right that the will of the aggrieved by conveyed to her."

He looks pointedly at Akhom, who shifts uncomfortably and spits on the ground before replying, "I will abide by the law."

"Then we will take word to her for you," Herzebuh looks at Lilly as he speaks. He pauses, and Akhom interjects.

"I apologize for my offense to you," he looks at the ground near Suen-Magir's feet, "And to the rest of our guests. I will sleep for the night."

He pointedly does not look at Lilly as he walks away to his tent, anger and shame radiating from him in his movements. His men watch as he leaves, then, trying to appear unbothered, lay down their weapons and return to sitting around the fire, conversing in low tones.

Herzebuh breathes a sigh of relief.

"He will still be angry tomorrow, but he will not be rash once the drink and the dark has left him. I apologize as well, fair dwarf. Is it proper to call you dwarf? Should I call you dwarf-ess? Or something else? I have never met a dwarf before, and have only seen dwarf men."

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#148 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:00 pm
hidetzugu wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm

Well, that's a Fail
"No," says Akhom, roughly, "I cannot."

"The law is clear, he must receive retribution from She Who Understands the Signs," Herzebuh apologizes conciliatorily, "Though it is right that the will of the aggrieved by conveyed to her."

He looks pointedly at Akhom, who shifts uncomfortably and spits on the ground before replying, "I will abide by the law."

"Then we will take word to her for you," Herzebuh looks at Lilly as he speaks. He pauses, and Akhom interjects.

"I apologize for my offense to you," he looks at the ground near Suen-Magir's feet, "And to the rest of our guests. I will sleep for the night."

He pointedly does not look at Lilly as he walks away to his tent, anger and shame radiating from him in his movements. His men watch as he leaves, then, trying to appear unbothered, lay down their weapons and return to sitting around the fire, conversing in low tones.

Herzebuh breathes a sigh of relief.
"He will still be angry tomorrow, but he will not be rash once the drink and the dark has left him. I apologize as well, fair dwarf. Is it proper to call you dwarf? Should I call you dwarf-ess? Or something else? I have never met a dwarf before, and have only seen dwarf men."
Lilly chuckles has Finnithir approaches - "What do you think my love? Dwarf-ess has a nice ring to it. How come you don't call me that?"

"Don't worry about it good Herzebuh, I've been a stranger in many strange lands. Not all of them as honourable as yours. Go rest in peace, soon we will bother your people no more." - she smiles at him until he retires for the night.
@Eric now my current plan is to fuck off in the night and leave Akhom behind (depending on the other pcs). If you think that would change his interaction feel free to falsehood me or something
As he leaves she approaches Farouk and Suen - "So... are you two good or do I need to beat the doubt out of you? Can we get our meditating monk (Nunesh) over there and get going. I want us to be at the city gates by dawn so we can have maximum daytime while we search it."

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#149 Post by Eric.D »

hidetzugu wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:09 am Lilly chuckles has Finnithir approaches - "What do you think my love? Dwarf-ess has a nice ring to it. How come you don't call me that?"

"Don't worry about it good Herzebuh, I've been a stranger in many strange lands. Not all of them as honourable as yours. Go rest in peace, soon we will bother your people no more." - she smiles at him until he retires for the night.
@Eric now my current plan is to fuck off in the night and leave Akhom behind (depending on the other pcs). If you think that would change his interaction feel free to falsehood me or something
As he leaves she approaches Farouk and Suen - "So... are you two good or do I need to beat the doubt out of you? Can we get our meditating monk (Nunesh) over there and get going. I want us to be at the city gates by dawn so we can have maximum daytime while we search it."
"Shall I call you that now? My dwarfess?" Finnithir laughs, "It is a softer and gentler word. I don't know that it fits you."

It does matter to Herzebuh, as he's worried about Urkazzar, so go ahead and roll that Falsehood. Ob 4. If you fail, he will interrogate you a bit to make sure Urkazzar will be safe.

VVhite-Crow
Scout
Scout

#150 Post by VVhite-Crow »

I should set the Ob before you roll! I had an Ob of 3 in mind (i.e. My Favorite Ob), so this would be a failure.
True, but would it have made a difference to roll afterwards? :) I thought I would keep the ball rolling by having a result at hand.
Unless Suen has anything else in mind, Farouk wouldn't insist on a beating. ^^
"I think... I hope we are good... You are right, we should find some rest (I hope there is still time to rest left) and be good to go as soon as possible. And you are the first to deserve a good night of sleep, qizm. It was brave of you step in Akhoms way." he gets up, slightly bows his head towards Lilly and starts walking to his belongings,
"I'll make sure our stuff and Bassam are ready for an early departure and then go to bed. (and he will try to check back with Akhom)I'm not really in the mood for conversation any more..."

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#151 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am It does matter to Herzebuh, as he's worried about Urkazzar, so go ahead and roll that Falsehood. Ob 4. If you fail, he will interrogate you a bit to make sure Urkazzar will be safe.
Beginner's Luck Falsehood: (Ob doubled to 8):

Let's see how that interrogation goes...
Eric.D wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am "Shall I call you that now? My dwarfess?" Finnithir laughs, "It is a softer and gentler word. I don't know that it fits you."
She licks her lips and says "I can be soft and gentle..." - her voice cracking mid-sentence as her face turns red.
Just a quick safety check: Are you ok with the flirty rp between these 2, Eric (and every1 else)? On voice games I tend to axe it, but in text it feels less awkward to me (but I don't want to assume it is less awkward for every1 else)
VVhite-Crow wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:45 am
True, but would it have made a difference to roll afterwards? :) I thought I would keep the ball rolling by having a result at hand.
Unless Suen has anything else in mind, Farouk wouldn't insist on a beating. ^^
"I think... I hope we are good... You are right, we should find some rest (I hope there is still time to rest left) and be good to go as soon as possible. And you are the first to deserve a good night of sleep, qizm. It was brave of you step in Akhoms way." he gets up, slightly bows his head towards Lilly and starts walking to his belongings,
"I'll make sure our stuff and Bassam are ready for an early departure and then go to bed. (and he will try to check back with Akhom)I'm not really in the mood for conversation any more..."
Trying (and failing) to not look insecure, Lilly turns to Farouk:
"I think it is better that we leave right away. Approach during the night so that when dawn comes we are at the city gates. Gives us more time to search the city."
OOC: I do have a 'The key to every job is speed. Get in, get the diamond, get out. No distractions.' Belief
"Plus, it makes sure whatever open route Nunesh is seeing remains open. Speaking of..." - She raises her voice so she can be heard from the circle - "Hey, bird-boy! Found us the stone yet? or did you fall asleep?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Yep! Good timing for his re-entrance. Will try to write it tomorrow.

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#153 Post by Eric.D »

hidetzugu wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:09 pm Beginner's Luck Falsehood: (Ob doubled to 8):

She licks her lips and says "I can be soft and gentle..." - her voice cracking mid-sentence as her face turns red.
"Can you?" Finnithir's voice lilts in amusement, "You shall have to show me again. I seem to have forgotten what part of you is soft and gentle."

His smile is teasing and mildly lascivious as he puts an arm around you and kisses the top of your head gently.

"You did well, Lilly, my dwarfess. That could have gone much worse."

As you try to convince Herzebuh to move on, his eyes sharpen.

"You intend to leave tonight, don't you? With Urkazzar?" He looks over toward the tents, where Urkazzar headed after the fight died down. "He seems to like you two."

"He is an unusual, but kind, man," replies Finnithir. His voice is kind, but some gravitas has come into it, "What is he to you?"

Herzebuh turns back and studies the two of you shortly.

"My sister's son," he explains. His voice drops, nearly to a whisper, "He killed my son. I and my brothers were chosen for the blood feud, and we were to kill him. I did not do it. I have violated akka, a sin that condemns me to never return."

There is a silence as he looks up toward the sky, wordlessly, before continuing in a stronger voice.

"I should tell you..." his voice trails off.

"No, I cannot." It is clear that there was something he intended to say, but has chosen not to. He turns again and peers at you, and, trying to cover the break in his thoughts, "I cannot say he is safe to bring, dwarfess. But he knows the desert and the waters in it better than many of our elders, and he is unafraid of the demons that haunt the desert. They have never once bothered him. He is a protection to the camp here, which is why Akhom abides his presence."

He sets his hand gently on his knife, an unconscious emphasis of his words.

"If you take him, you must promise he will be safe. If you cannot promise it, you cannot take him with you. I have broken my family ties to protect him. I will not let someone else have him who will not keep him safe."

His eyes burn in the reflected firelight of the camp. "Can you promise this?"

This conversation will likely end the interaction with the camp, unless Farouk is insistent on visiting Akhom before leaving.

VVhite-Crow
Scout
Scout

#154 Post by VVhite-Crow »

(and every1 else)?
I wasn't expecting a lot of romance with the pitch we had, but that's cool. :)
I think it is better that we leave right away
"I wouldn't recommend spending too much time in the dark... but unless we can stop the sun from setting tomorrow we're just delaying the problem to another night by staying here, I guess... When you can convince the others to push on, I'm ready to move. But keep in mind that we walked all day to get here and that not all of us have the endurance of a qizm or float over the sand like your elf friend." Farouk replies.
This conversation will likely end the interaction with the camp, unless Farouk is insistent on visiting Akhom before leaving.
If he can't find him in time, and the others want to leave, he doesn't insist in speaking with Akhom.

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#155 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:13 pm
hidetzugu wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:09 pm Beginner's Luck Falsehood: (Ob doubled to 8):

"Can you?" Finnithir's voice lilts in amusement, "You shall have to show me again. I seem to have forgotten what part of you is soft and gentle."

His smile is teasing and mildly lascivious as he puts an arm around you and kisses the top of your head gently.

"You did well, Lilly, my dwarfess. That could have gone much worse."

As you try to convince Herzebuh to move on, his eyes sharpen.

"You intend to leave tonight, don't you? With Urkazzar?" He looks over toward the tents, where Urkazzar headed after the fight died down. "He seems to like you two."

"He is an unusual, but kind, man," replies Finnithir. His voice is kind, but some gravitas has come into it, "What is he to you?"

Herzebuh turns back and studies the two of you shortly.

"My sister's son," he explains. His voice drops, nearly to a whisper, "He killed my son. I and my brothers were chosen for the blood feud, and we were to kill him. I did not do it. I have violated akka, a sin that condemns me to never return."

There is a silence as he looks up toward the sky, wordlessly, before continuing in a stronger voice.
"I should tell you..." his voice trails off.

"No, I cannot." It is clear that there was something he intended to say, but has chosen not to. He turns again and peers at you, and, trying to cover the break in his thoughts, "I cannot say he is safe to bring, dwarfess. But he knows the desert and the waters in it better than many of our elders, and he is unafraid of the demons that haunt the desert. They have never once bothered him. He is a protection to the camp here, which is why Akhom abides his presence."

He sets his hand gently on his knife, an unconscious emphasis of his words.

"If you take him, you must promise he will be safe. If you cannot promise it, you cannot take him with you. I have broken my family ties to protect him. I will not let someone else have him who will not keep him safe."

His eyes burn in the reflected firelight of the camp. "Can you promise this?"

Interesting...

"You looking for me to lie to you, my friend?"

"The Black City is dangerous, How could I offer guaranties?"

"What I can offer is that my sword will be between him and anything out there. I will be first through every door and every corridor."

Edit: Angling for the softness of Ugly Truth's Obs if you force to roll something :mrgreen:

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#156 Post by Eric.D »

Herzebuh nods, solemnly. "The gods above love those who make only promises they can keep. This is a good answer, dwarfess. I release Urkazzar to you."

He takes his knife out and buries the point in his hand until it draws blood, and, sheathing the weapon, extends his bleeding hand to you.

"We are in your debt for your actions tonight, so I vow to extend the law to you even as alghuraba. I will ask She Who Knows the Signs to keep you safe when we go to her."

hidetzugu
Scout
Scout

#157 Post by hidetzugu »

Eric.D wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:12 pm Herzebuh nods, solemnly. "The gods above love those who make only promises they can keep. This is a good answer, dwarfess. I release Urkazzar to you."

He takes his knife out and buries the point in his hand until it draws blood, and, sheathing the weapon, extends his bleeding hand to you.

"We are in your debt for your actions tonight, so I vow to extend the law to you even as alghuraba. I will ask She Who Knows the Signs to keep you safe when we go to her."
She looks quizzically at the hand at first, then calls Finnithir over.
"Though we have no Longbeards present, and no Mazar-âmân to record it, I herby borrow the watchful eyes of the First Born to serve as witness to my Oath. Only death will prevent me from bringing Urkazzar out of the City."
She mimics his cut on her own hand and clasps his.

Mazar-âmân: Dwarven Book of Oaths.

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#158 Post by Eric.D »

"I witness this," says Finnithir, solemnly.

"Then in the eyes of your gods and mine, we have a vow," declares Herzebuh, holding your hand firmly.

Disengaging, he reaches around his neck and pulls off a necklace, a leather cord, with a small, round clay pendant. He hands it to you, and you can see that the pendant has a strange silver symbol buried in it, and that it is contained in an unusually fine silver band.
charm (1).png
charm (1).png (130.22 KiB) Viewed 93 times
"If..." he pauses, then continues cryptically, "If ever Urkazzar does not hear you, show this to him. He will remember."

He nods, then turns away, making his way toward Akhom's tent.

This necklace is a charm against Urkazzar.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Marullus »

hidetzugu wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:09 pm "Plus, it makes sure whatever open route Nutesh is seeing remains open. Speaking of..." - She raises her voice so she can be heard from the circle - "Hey, bird-boy! Found us the stone yet? or did you fall asleep?"
Nutesh awakens abruptly as he is poked with a long stick by the dwarf. His eyes snap open to see Lilly. Ku-Aya gone. Carrock flying furiously toward him in the sky above.

"Stop... stop that!" he swats away the poking stick, rising, his limbs shaking and wobbly.

He explains all he saw through the bird's eyes to his companions, ensuring the nomads are out of earshot.

"It comes back to the building at the center. The knowledge we need is there. I am sure the diamond is there also. The statue atop the roof waits for our coming, and..." he shudders involuntarily and swallows hard, "The formless flesh and the Pit of the Void await us there, too."

Eric.D
Scout
Scout

#160 Post by Eric.D »

Alright! Does anybody have questions for Nutesh, or are we good to head back to the city? You will arrive in the night if leaving right now, as only a few hours have passed since arriving at the camp.
If leaving now, is the intent to make your own camp, or to go right in during the night?

Return to “A Small Time Job (Burning Wheel Gold Revised)”