Scroll 1 - The Master Craftsman's Tea Vessel

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Scroll 1 - The Master Craftsman's Tea Vessel

#21 Post by jemmus »

You're all from the same clan and have the same social rank. So you would call each other by given name, with no -san. (Actually most you probably don't have family names).
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

Thanks.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

With the others having spoken, Kaida lifts her eyes and speaks quietly. "There will be times for the valley route, but it does not have to be now. I agree the mountain route to and from is wise." She attempts to mask her own discomfort at the idea of disguising herself... or worse, going openly as a Shugenja in the world.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ffilz »

Yes, let us take the mountain route this time.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by jemmus »

Kawaishi-sensei had described the tea vessel. The master's pottery does not have an image of any known thing. The pigments of the glaze have chemical properties that cause them arrange themselves into patterns when the piece if fired. The master himself did not know exactly what the result of the interaction with the fire and heat would be. It is said that a piece may remind the viewer of flowing water, but no be an image or water. Or earth, or the grain of wood, or rock or mountains. But the vessel bears no image of any particular thing.

The merchant Tanaka Jiro surely has only one such piece. If a vessel has an image of a flower, or a tree branch, or the Moon or any other recognizable thing... it is not the one.

You could replace the tea vessel with an ordinary one from the village, and in dim light it might fool someone for a while. (There would be a die roll involved). But it woudn't be likely to fool anyone in daylight.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Fuma

"Worth a try, even if it only buys us a few minutes it could be critical. Of course we must make sure there is no connection between the one we leave and us in any way."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

A poor copy is better than none I say,” stated Sakai Jinsei.

On the off chance we meet people along the mountain trail, we should don disguises. Perhaps laborers traveling to Kofu?”

Jinsei looked over the background information about the merchant's daily habits. Did it include his number and type of servants?

“I’d like to bring garb of a house servant, should it prove useful in infiltrating Tanaka Jiro’s villa.”

Thoughts turned over in Sakai Jinsei’s mind of how to best go about the mission.

What other tools and tricks can we bring? I have my blow darts which can put foes in a slumber. But I have been unable as yet to procure our trade’s many tools.”
I’m assuming my blowgun darts have sleep poison.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by ffilz »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:46 pmA poor copy is better than none I say,” stated Sakai Jinsei.

On the off chance we meet people along the mountain trail, we should don disguises. Perhaps laborers traveling to Kofu?”

Jinsei looked over the background information about the merchant's daily habits. Did it include his number and type of servants?

“I’d like to bring garb of a house servant, should it prove useful in infiltrating Tanaka Jiro’s villa.”

Thoughts turned over in Sakai Jinsei’s mind of how to best go about the mission.

What other tools and tricks can we bring? I have my blow darts which can put foes in a slumber. But I have been unable as yet to procure our trade’s many tools.”

I’m assuming my blowgun darts have sleep poison.
Did you purchase poisons? I need to finalize my purchases from my initial cash.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:46 pm I’m assuming my blowgun darts have sleep poison.
Nope - you need to roll your starting coin and spend it on poisons. (Make sure you note your +1 sword, too.)
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Grognardsw »

Sakai Jinsei listened to his fellow ninjas' ideas for the mission.

He offered further thoughts: "A night time infiltration is most direct but risky."

"A longer and more elaborate approach could be to find out who does Tanaka Jiro's yardwork. Get hired by them. Use job as means to recon and infiltrate house. Or pose as businessmen looking to do a deal with Tanaka to get inside house. One of us stays separate and infiltrates. Start fire as diversion. Perhaps he inadvertently reveals oocation by visual cue. I heard a tale of a certain bohemian who used a variation of this tactic in a certain scandal."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

You are given background information about the merchant's daily habits as a backup, so that you may have full information about what is known of the target.

it is built in the shinden zukuri style of the nobles of Kyoto. In that style, two long open galleries lie alongside the courtyard garden. From them guests view performances, or view cherry blossom or the the Moon and compose haiku.
Jemmus - I think I'm inclined to go with my original instinct and take hensu-jutsu as her one skill instead of ninjutsu. She's better with talking/obfuscating/rhetoric and being the decoy/face and can leave the ninja-ing to the ninjas...

Kaida nods to Jinsei at his good suggestion for gathering information from the merchant on the location of the cup. "Knowing his patterns, it should be possible to speak to him merchant-to-merchant, or as a Wandering Priest in need of a purchase of his oil. It may be safer and faster to engage under such a guise rather than getting hired by his landscaper. I may be able to talk us in or out of this situation," she adds to the conversation. You know this is true - none in the school is better at winning matters of debate than her... her facility with written and spoken words is a talent and a curse dependingon your position. She sits up a bit straighter as she continues, "I am willing to be one who goes as customer, perhaps another with me? Two of you then, as Monkey and Dog, remain concealed to enter the estate perhaps at night, or maybe day. With the large central courtyard, gaining the roof should then grant access to most of the compound, but the entire courtyard is exposed. Strong Lightning poison might be able to render guards unconscious before they can raise an alarm if blowguns can be used from roof concealment. Bushi guards would be expected to be strong, which might recommend a paralytic poison over a narcotic, but it would be more economical to have a stronger narcotic..." she then realizes how much she has spoken and trails off.

After a pause, she speaks again, her eyes lowered. "As you are my nakadan, I will speak of the gifts of my mother." She fidgets with her fingers on her lap. "For those that will infiltrate, I can make the ghost reveal itself to your eyes, should it be present, but only for the the span of an hour. My own sight also sees at night as if it were day and if I encounter difficulty I can ask locks or bindings to release themselves. Otherwise, I have several ways to facilitate escape should it be necessary by my ability with the elements - blinding with light, obscuring with smoke, disturbing the earth or making it slick with mud, or the most minor of illusions. If you become debilitated, I can aid you enough to escape, rather than face death... all of these things, though, must be held in reserve or risk our exposure."
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by ffilz »

Minoru:

Kaida offers a valuable suggestion. I could accompany in the guise of either a merchant or a wandering priest.

I don't know how my infiltration skills compare to the others. I do have blowgun and poison darts.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Fuma

"I can go infiltrate, and I am a good climber. Unfortunately I am not good with a blow gun."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Each member of the nakuden considered those he has trained beside for years...

• Minoru -
    • Percieve 9, Ninjutsu 12, Climbing 13, Cieling-walking 10, Leaping 12, Hensu-Jutsu 9.
    • Staff 10, Throwing 9, Blowgun 5, Unarmed 11.
  • Fuma -
    • Percieve 5, Ninjutsu 11, Climbing 13, Cieling-walking 8, Leaping 13, Hensu-Jutsu 5, Lockpicking 7.
    • Bow 10, Garotte 10, Rope/Chain 12, Unarmed 12.
  • Jinsei -
    • Percieve 5, Ninjutsu 10, Climbing 15, Cieling-walking 9, Leaping 15, Hensu-Jutsu 5, Lockpicking 8.
    • Sword 10, Quickdraw 13, Silent Kill 6, Throwing 8, Blowgun 6, Unarmed 11.
  • Kaida -
    • Percieve 9, Ninjutsu 0, Climbing 4, Cieling-walking 0, Leaping 8, Hensu-Jutsu 9, Rhetoric/Argument 15, Magic 10 (inc. Lockpicking 11).
    • Rope/Chain 8, Elemental attacks 10, Unarmed 6.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by jemmus »

The neophyte operatives remember a teaching by old Hari-sama. The people of Nippon love order, organization, and well-established custom. Over generations, the ancestors of the Nipponese devised quite clever ways for doing things most quickly, efficiently, and efficiently. Do you know that across the sea, when the people must build a stone wall a hundred yards away, they do it like this? Each person takes takes a stone, carries it 100 paces, places it on the wall, and walks 100 paces. And they all do that again and again for days until the wall is completed.

In Nippon, people with that same task form a chain from the rock pile to the wall. The first faces north, the next faces south, the next north and so on, alternating in opposite directions. The past the stones from hand to hand down the line to the wall, and no one has to take one step all day. It's even enjoyable work, everyone doing something together, chatting about this and that, some section of fools and jokesters making people laugh all throughout the day.

That is an example of the clever ways of doing things the Nipponese have inherited from the ancestors. It is strength of the people of Nippon as whole, because in many areas it make things more easily and expertly done. But it can be a dangerous weakness for a person of Nippon who is weak, meek, or just lazy of mind and spirit. They trust to custom without thinking. Or fear to deviate from custom, stand out, and draw the ire of the pack.

Such a person can be very vulnerable if on his own. We are eta because our ancestors were mountain hunters. All of the people hunted and trapped, before the coming of Buddhism from China. And so, the saying of a hunter ancestor of the clan has been passed down, and it is still true: "Once an animal established a repetitive, observable pattern... its doom is certain."
It is a useful thing for an operative to remember. By observing and learning people or creatures patterns of behavior, one can plan ahead and be ready for when they next follow them.[/dialog]

On the way out of the dojo the old man with his staff turns and rubs a side of his old nose. He says with a steady gaze and a kind steady smile. Oh yes, my intelligent young friends. Another thing. From my experience.... When the predator is waiting and watching the foolish prey's patterns of behavior.... Sometimes a predator is watching the same prey. Or predator himself. To be a ninja clan is to always have enemies. Samurai, yakuza, even peasants. And most dangerous of all-- other ninja clans. Who know our own profession. And are always eager to observe the predator, and found out a way to get into its lair and at its cubs, and get all of them out of this territory forever.

Kawaishi-sensei had said, We don't know the number of servants and guards at Tanaka Jiro's mansion. Part of your mission is to find out that information, for future use. And to prepare a map of the grounds and the interior, if only an approximate one from memory upon your return. But we know generally what staff a residence of such size and wealth would have.
Guards. Two to four, usually stationed outside the residence. Tanaka Jiro is known to be thrifty, so it's possible he would substitute an outdoors watchdog for a ronin's pay.
Servants. A gardener. For an estate of this size, he should have at least one assistant.
A cook and an assistant, who is also a meals server.
Three to five maids for housekeeping and laundry.
A personal maid for lady's dressing, toiletry, chamber pot, and general assistance. Another (male or female) for the lord's. These maids must ready on a moment's notice to empty a chamber pot, day or night. They are light sleepers.
If there are young children, a nanny.
A head servant managing the others. Often this is an older woman who carries or has access to keys to locks.
A steward serving as the general manager of the residence and its maintenance and repairs, provisions and supplies, and security. This man is usually of the merchant caste, mid-rank. He is often the who instead carries or stores the keys.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by jemmus »

Kawaishi-sensei quietly observes her former, now-graduated students discussing plans for the mission. I'm sorry, I will interject. It's a shock to the young shinobi.
They have said "I'm sorry" to her before, but they have never before heard her say the same to them. If you chose to approach in the guise of merchants, you should know some information.

Merchants of Kofu such as Tanaka Jiro become successful by gathering and knowing information. This one knows before the others that there was a good rice harvest in Shinano, so the prices must be low. And that the Taira are gathering an army in Totomi Province, and they will need much rice. He buys and sells rice ahead of other merchants, and has a windfall. A ninja in the guise of a merchant should have a convincing story about where they came from, their goods for sale or why they are seeking buy or barter. A successful merchant of Kofu such as Jiro would probably search his mind for the reason he did not know of this merchant (if the merchant portrayed is of any importance-- as may be required to gain a meeting with him).

Merchants are commonly thought to be greedy, and that seems to be a general truth. If they are not greedy, if they are successful, the follow their profession strategically, as if playing a game of go, or as if a general pursuing an ongoing war campaign. If practicing hensu-jutsu as a merchant, it could wise to remember such things. What does the stand to gain from the interaction? Quick profit from one transaction? Long-term gain from an ongoing relationship? Information about distant merchandise and markets?

Please know that I'm no merchant. But I had a teacher-- a grandfather of one of you, by the way-- who was a master of hensu-jutsu, especially in the guise of a traveling merchant. For decades he sold fishhooks, of all things, to merchants in Kofu City and and peasants, ronin, and samurai all around Kai Province and the surrounding provinces. So deep was his hensu-jutsu guise that he even became known by the nickname "Uncle Fishhook Taro." He of course provided much invaluable information about every kind of thing to the clan and its clients along the way.

He was my teacher, and I have done some hensu-jutsu missions, and I have done several missions in Kofu in merchant guise. And so, I interjected to share with you my little knowledge.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

I am unsure what points of decision we are looking for.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Grognardsw »

Jensei considered the words of old Hari-sama about walls. Did this mean they should tunnel under Tanaka Jiro’s wall, to under the house, and gain clandestine entrance? Jensei did not speak such a bold and arduous idea in front of the senseis. He half-suspected he was misunderstanding the wall lesson.

“Thank you, we will keep eyes and ears open,” Jensei said to the old man with the staff as they left.

Kawaishi-sensei’s information was helpful. “We will learn more,” he responded.

Outside with his fellow ninja Jinsei said:

“The merchant ruse sounds challenging for us. Perhaps the traveling priest option would be safer. Tanaka Jiro will not be so familiar with that class.”

“To summarize, we will go with disguises, a fake teacup, and protective box. By mountain path will we reach Kumo, set up surveillance and gather information. New insights may alter or adjust our current plan of infiltration by disguise to get views inside and hopefully spy the teacup
location.”

“Possible alternate plans may be a nighttime break-in. Here is an idea so addled it may work: From an adjacent property, we dig under Tanaka’s wall to his house and come up below. Perhaps in a location Kaida discovers from inside, like a closet or guest bedroom. We could enter and exit as we please.”
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:52 pmHe half-suspected he was misunderstanding the wall lesson.
I love this. :lol:
Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:52 pm“The merchant ruse sounds challenging for us. Perhaps the traveling priest option would be safer. Tanaka Jiro will not be so familiar with that class.”

“To summarize, we will go with disguises, a fake teacup, and protective box. By mountain path will we reach Kumo, set up surveillance and gather information. New insights may alter or adjust our current plan of infiltration by disguise to get views inside and hopefully spy the teacup
location.”
Kaida nods. "This is wise. I think that Minoru and I can make passable priests, and propose the purchase of enough oil that the merchant will seek to impress us with the riches of his home."

With his summation of the plan, she is ready to go.
(We get a fake tea cup and protective box from the clan before we leave. We have our disguises picked, and we don't have to purchase them.
We have bought poisons for the blowguns. We go by the mountain path, set up surveillance, infiltrate with the merchant as priests, execute the job, get away. We've spent our coin otherwise, setting up what we will have available to us for emergency pivots.
(I'd rather not bog down in overplanning.)

Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:52 pm“Possible alternate plans may be a nighttime break-in. Here is an idea so addled it may work: From an adjacent property, we dig under Tanaka’s wall to his house and come up below. Perhaps in a location Kaida discovers from inside, like a closet or guest bedroom. We could enter and exit as we please.”[/dialog]
Kaida looks uncomfortable, but cannot remain silent. "Our clan teaches to be monkey, mouse... not mole. We need ingress only once, so over top the walls and roofs seems more apt. A tunnel may be fortituous when we require access for a long time, perhaps. Climbing entry is suited to you, Jinsei," she smiles, ending with the compliment. "Besides, the style of the home is not to have internal hallways, but to open onto the central courtyard. This makes rooftop ingress easier, but also our ability to evade guards more difficult."
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by jemmus »

Kawaishi-sensei had given her former students an ink drawing.

To help you imagine and see before you go, this is the pattern of a mansion such Tanaka Jiro's. It's in a style called shinden zukuri. This is not an accurate drawing of the actual house. It just shows the general features of a shinden zukuri residence. There are four characteristics of this style that are invariably there.

One. The main gate is to the south.
Two. It has two long, parallel open galleries at the south side, bordering the garden.
Three. There is a pond in the garden with a bridge. Usually there is an artificial island in the pond. There are little boats for the aristocrats to sit in and play at boating.
Four. There is a central room and within it is a another room with three walls, open to the front. Sometimes it is a kind ornate fabric tent, rather than a room with columns and beams. But it always has a raised floor dias. There the noble gentleman or lady sits and has audiences with lower ranked noblemen, or high-ranking samurai.

We don't know if the narikin* merchant Tanaka Jiro uses this room for that purpose. We do now that the samurai of Kofu find his living a nobleman's residence risible. And a sign of these troubled times. On the one hand they are glad to see that some of the kuge aristocratic overlords have fallen on hard times. On the other hand, it's rather alarming the a mere money-grubbing merchant could gather the wealth and influence to do such a thing. And that the daimyo family of Kai would allow it. We have information that some of the Takeda clan samurai of Kofu believe that the daimyo has borrowed money from Jiro to fund the clan's war effort.

We also have more easily obtained information that many of the merchants of Kofu resent Jiro's ostentatious display of his wealth, and acumen in trade. He is not the wealthiest merchant of Kofu-- and not believed to be even the second or third wealthiest. "The nail that stands out of the board gets pounded back down."**

Narikin - literally, "became gold/money." Upstart, nouveau riche, new money bumpkin with no class or taste.
**"The nail that stands out of the board gets pounded back down." A famous real Japanese proverb.
PCs

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”