OSE System+Symbaroum Setting - OH MY!

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

OSE System+Symbaroum Setting - OH MY!

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

Then, out of the ruins, the Blight Beast came at them, massive and roaring. Its claws scraped the rocky ground, scouring out deep sores oozing pure corruption, leaving drops of black, mercury-like mildew on moss and stones in its wake.

“We cannot escape this,” said Fenya. Magdala nodded agreement. “Well then,” Kvarek sighed, “this is where we make our stand, for the right to the treasures of Symbaroum!”

Symbaroum invites you to join in the adventure! Explore the vast Forest of Davokar in the hunt for treasures, lost wisdoms and fame. Visit the eleven barbarian clans to trade or to plunder their treasuries. Establish a base of power among princes, guilds or rebellious refugees in the capital city of Yndaros. Or survive encounters with famished Arch Trolls, dark-minded Blight Beasts and undead warlords. But whatever you do, never ignore the warnings spoken by the wardens of the forest: tread carefully and do not disturb the ruins of old, for the dark deep of Davokar is about to awaken.

This got a couple of nibbles in the 'What Would You Like To Play or Run' section so I'd thought I put it out there on it's on thread for me to gauge any more interest and to answer any questions. Symbaroum is a rich, dark and evocative setting. The art within is incredible and truly helps set the mood and the immersive setting. Yet Symbaroum is a game as well with its own system (and cost) that tends to make most OSR players go 'meh' and give it a pass. Even the Quickstart rules only let players play pregen characters...WTF? Popular as the setting is, it was released with a 5E compatible set! But...I don't play 5E. I yearn to play the setting with OSE instead. I've already taken steps in trying to mesh the two and I'd love to get a passle of players to join in me in playing what is B/X'ish in Symbaroum.

This is and will be a work in progress. This game will evolve, even with the help of the players. There will be house rules, which I'm sure will amended. Players will need to immerse themselves into the lore of Symbaroum, which is why I need players that want and will be invested in their setting. No one has to be an expert. I will provide information as the game progresses. To add sauce to anyone piqued thus far, these races will be allowed for play...

Ambrians (Human)
One of the Eleven Barbarian Tribes (Human)
Ogres (Only one allowed and has severe handicaps as well as hard-to-meet min/max ability requirements)
Goblins (not the tiny garden variety of D&D, but a little taller and longer of nose. A servant/slave/laborer race with a few exceptions)
Changelings (Bastard children of elves and humans. Half-Elves, or is it Half-Human? Orphans and outcasts)

No elves? WTF? Yeah, elves are not nice in general in this game. There will times of conflict with elves in this game. There will be violence. This is not for aesthetes of LOTR/D&D elves. As for the Ogres and Goblins, I will be using sources from material such as Dragon Magazine and some well-known RPG bloggers.

No dwarves, No Halflings. Tsk. Shame...

Still dabbling at Race and Class vs Race As Class.

This is what I've got thus far.

That's alright...tell me how much you love this and queue up in the line to your left for expressing your fervent wish to join.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OSE System+Symbaroum Setting - OH MY!

#2 Post by Rex »

I am interested. I do own Symbaroum but have never played it.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by kalstone »

I'm interested too. I don't own Symbaroum. Is there a players guide somewhere?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

This is the free quick start. The rules wouldn't apply but it has setting info in it.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... uick-Start

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by kalstone »

I've started reading through the quick start and I'm really intrigued. It's a cool setting.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I haven't played it but do own it and have messed around with making a character. That doesn't really apply here but the setting cool for sure.

Return to “Looking for players or games”