Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[001] The Adventure Starts

#1 Post by ffilz »

You all meet at an inn in Tsumajokuku in Shinano province. Here is a map:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/3 ... 0&layers=C

The town is along the Nakasendo.

Introduce yourselves.

You will soon hear a rumor of a nearby Shinto shrine (the little hut symbol in the middle right) being plagued by bakemono.

Edited to reflect changing from Buddhist temple to Shinto shrine.
Last edited by ffilz on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] The Adventure Starts

#2 Post by Marullus »

Tea House.png
Tea House.png (459.06 KiB) Viewed 717 times
The tea house is quiet and simple, looking out over a verdant garden of trees. The smell of brewed tea - the pungent fermented black kind, mixed with the nutty aromatics of the unfermented green - permeates the small place. The murmuring of quiet voices as groups of two or three socialize around low tables.

Near the window to the garden, Bankei the monk sits on a tatami mat by himself, the cup steaming, still undrunk, on the low table before him. A monk's spade sits across his knees, a wrapped furoshiki lying at his side - likely with all his belongings - combined with his straw hat and flat wooden shoes marking him with the obvious appearance as a traveller. He wears the saffron garment of a buddhist and his body is at rest. His eyes watch the others in the room serenely, seeming more interested at the moment in the ebb and flow of people in the room than in the placid garden.
Bankei - Buddhist Monk.jpg
Bankei - Buddhist Monk.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 717 times

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by jemmus »

Kiyoshi entered the teahouse with a porters box on a pole over his shoulder and a dai-kyu in his hand. He laid both down and removed his straw hat, straw raincoat, and quiver full arrows. The young bushi entrusted all of them to the care of wait staff person and said his thanks. He removed his straw sandals, stepped up onto the tatami mats, and seated himself at a table. His clothing was simple, as were the hilts and scabbards of his dai-sho.

He nodded to the monk also seated in the room. Not wishing to impose on his privacy, but also not wanting to be impolite.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

Nagao Ezo*, middle class bushi duelist

The young suburban buke named Nagao Ezo of Fujiwara Lineage is already there, slowly sipping a watered down hot sake and enjoying some simple salted rice cakes and tea. He motions Kiyoshi over and pats a spot next to him. "Here, fellow bowman. Have a seat, the breakfast is not great but it is hot enough to keep you dry, and heavy." He sees Kiyoshi glance at the quiet monk in the corner and says, "Don't mind him. He was here before I was and I've hardly seen him move yet." He leans in a little closer as he politely takes it upon himself to pass food and pour drinks, "But that's a monk for you, isn't it? Either they never talk or they can't stop." He chuckles to himself and catches Bankei's eye, silently offering with a wave of his hand to share some of his meal with the monk.

*(Actually Nagao Wezo, but it feels weird using the old fashioned pronunciation since all the W- syllables have disappeared in Japanese)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ffilz »

As the bushi partake, they overhear two villagers talking about how the shrine to a forest Kami of Nagiso mountain has been plagued by bakemono, apparently egged on by an angry ghost.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

"Well that won't do." Ezo gets the villagers' attention and asks for more details. "What's all this about a ghost? How long has this gone on?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

The monk turns his attention to the two samurai and the villagers. He raises one eyebrow at the mention of ghosts and lips his cup to finally sip his tea.

Bankei slurps the tea, a mark of poor breeding in the eyes of the present samurai. "Alas, a spirit in a woeful state. Perhaps peta, a hungry ghost? Or asurakya, a frightened ghost? This matters," he asks the peasants.

Saving link for later.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Really sorry guys, I see that I forgot to subscribe to the thread, so I didn't notice about the posts.

Kiyoshi smiles at the invitation and the joke about the monk. He takes a seat at Ezo's table. It is good to meet you, Ezo-san, the ronin says in rather polite Nipponese to the higher rank samurai. He speaks loudly enough for the monk to hear. I am Kiyoshi. Thank you, I shall partake. He enjoys the offered food and drink. Are you a local here, or a traveler like me?

Hearing mention of the bakemon and ghost and the monk's cryptic reply, he listens intently. This is why he left his little town. To test and improve his skill with the dai-sho, become a famed swordsman, and perhaps someday even found his own school of kenjutsu. Or more likely, die while trying.
PCs

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Starbeard »

"Chichibu. Not far, but far enough." Ezo replies, in a mannered but casual speech reflecting his relative station. "It is a fair and pleasant country, too close to civilization for ghost hauntings. I'm afraid I would be useless in such a situation, but my curiosity is too strong. What do you say, Ronin Kiyoshi, shall we organize an investigation?"

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by jemmus »

Yoshi, Ezo-san. I think we should, Kiyoshi says. And we should bring along the expert at these things, if he's willing to go. The ronin nods to the monk and waits for his response. He naively hopes it will be positive.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by jemmus »

Kiyoshi
Chichibu. I have heard that it's famous for its little brook trout. I'm from Odaira-juku, just a few hours walk from here. It's not famous for anything. There's a merchant family that employs a few people to make and deliver rice chaff pillows. And a little tavern for eating, drinking, and gambling.

Kiyoshi has heard many ghost stories back in Mukaihara. He hears the peasants gossiping about a "frightened ghost." Of those, he's never heard anything at all. The ghosts in the stories were always lost souls living in attics, bumping around, and occasionally appearing. Mostly to frightened children. He thinks a moment and replies to Ezo, Yes, I would like to go, Ezo-san. I don't think a blade or an arrow will be of any use against a ghost. They won't kill a spirit, I don't think. A ghost has no body, they're just a spirit that wouldn't go to heaven or to hell. But we can kill the bakemono, or chase them away! Yes, I agree, Ezo-san. Let's proceed!
Last edited by jemmus on Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Starbeard »

"Ah, the trout are overrated. The secret is actually in the cooking." Ezo leans in conspiratorially with an apologetic smirk. "We use salted plums from Ogose, and wrap them in washi from Ogawa!"

He continues to ponder the effects of a sword against bakemono, having never tried it before; until now all of his opponents have been mortal men. Finally he turns to the villagers and asks them if they would be willing to lead the group of investigators to the site.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

"Ahhhh... it is better an asurakya," the monk nods sagely, examining his finger as he finishes with his nose. "A fearful ghost is better than a hungry one." He nods simply to acquiesce to coming along, wiping the finger on his pants. "A sword may not be of use, but your words are as effectiveas any. We must find what fixates it and help it let go and move on... to reincarnate as the Buddha wills." He pauses to finish his tea, then adds thoughtfully, "To be fixated on something, but unable to touch it without a body must be frustrating."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by jemmus »

Yosh, Kiyoshi says. An expert gakusho for the ghost, and two dai-sho for its henchmen. the young man has a kind of daydream-y look on his face. As if he's he's contemplating his possible future adventures and chances for glory. Yes, he will defeat the enemy against desperate odds. Or be cut to pieces. Either way, a brave and glorious life. Maybe someone in the village will write a song for him, or be said that the hero is sadly gone. "Yosh, let's go!" he says to himself.

The only problem is the o-bakemono, ghosts, demons and such. How to fight them? Tanaka-sensei back at the village dogo didn't talk about them much. Seems he might not have known himself. But Kiyoshi had been taught (how many times?) how to fight a wild boar or a pack of wolves. The first, you kneel and plant the butt of a yari in the ground. The second, you turn your back on the attackers snarling in front and use your katana on the one directly behind. Then right and left against the others, to the angles right and left. All of the hamstringers. And then snap to the front again, face front, and strike immediately, front, right and left. So as not to get flanked from that quarter. Wolf packs are that way.

Class! Have I told you how to fight a pack of wolves? They are very clever, you know. Class: Yes, sensei! Sensei Tanaka-san: Wolves are very clever. What you have to be aware of is...."
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

I moved the discussion of equipment to the character generation thread and the discussion of ghosts to a new thread. After we really get playing, I'll open a new thread for equipment purchasing discussion.

I think we're waiting on Starbeard to purchase equipment, and does Jemmus have all the gear his character needs?

I think we can continue the adventure though, if we get to a point where the equipment folks have is important, then I'll pause at that point.

So I think you're ready to start traveling?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Sounds good to me. :)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ffilz »

Kiyoshi is ready to go (moved equipment discussion to the chargen thread).

I'll probably post start of travel this evening, feel free to add any role play before hand.

I'll assume the bushi ride, samurai in front, ronin 2nd, while the priest walks behind. You should be able to ride all the way there.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

According to Google Maps its about a 90 minute walk from the tea house to the temple.

Nothing much of note happens on the way to the temple.

How do you wish to approach the temple and what preparations would you like to make?

A useful spell for Bankei might be:

Detect Spirits (Clerical)

Cost: 1+1/turn

This spell will report the approximate number of spirit creatures within 40 meters of the caster. The caster may choose to focus the spell, and examine a 60-degree cone. The caster may choose to continue concentrating on the spell to examine another cone (or the whole circle). The caster may examine his level worth of cones in the period of two turns (if the caster is higher than 4th level, he may examine additional cones in the 2nd turn of casting). Each additional turn of concentration takes 1 MP, and the caster may continue to concentrate as long as desired and able. If the caster is threatened, he may make a spell success roll for a 1st level spell, adjusted by SR penalties for defense taken to maintain concentration. Any damage taken will destroy concentration. The caster may choose a minimum size of interest for each examination.
This spell is a primitive version of Read Magic Aura, and as such is subject to some of the same difficulties as that spell, however, the simple aura of being alive (or undead) is relatively difficult to obscure.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Starbeard »

Nagao Ezo dismounts and carefully prepares his bow and quiver, peering up the road to where the top of the shrine peeks out above the shroud of trees. "Well, Honorable Priest, what does your stomach say? It just looks like an old ruin to me."

With his bow and blade adjusted for quick use, he remounts his black steed Charcoal and gets ready to continue up the forest path, making sure to avoid the middle of the road where the gods pass up to the shrine.

"It doesn't seem like there is any way in but through the front, unless you would like to soil your clothes on the mountainside."
Frank, is this the place?
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 9.45.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 9.45.46 PM.png (651.02 KiB) Viewed 551 times

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:48 am Nagao Ezo dismounts and carefully prepares his bow and quiver, peering up the road to where the top of the shrine peeks out above the shroud of trees. "Well, Honorable Priest, what does your stomach say? It just looks like an old ruin to me."

With his bow and blade adjusted for quick use, he remounts his black steed Charcoal and gets ready to continue up the forest path, making sure to avoid the middle of the road where the gods pass up to the shrine.

"It doesn't seem like there is any way in but through the front, unless you would like to soil your clothes on the mountainside."
Frank, is this the place?
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 9.45.46 PM.png
The temple is not a ruin, it was in active use until the bakemono and ghost sent the priest running, or maybe the priest was killed? The folk back at the tea house didn't say.

Actually retro if you want to ask more questions before hitting the road.

Return to “Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron)”