Re: Investigation #5: Joker, Roy, & Mac: The Haunting of 601 North E Street

#221 Post by Rex »

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker will be leaving the Hex Bag in the secret panel, and will not be using his goggles.

Joker has a brilliant (stupid?) idea- He wants to try and rig something that will supplement the containment frequencies, working with his PKE and cell phone- IF he can do it with the miscellaneous electronics and tools he has on-hand here. He's certain that he has no time to get back to the Firehouse and do a proper job of it.
If I could get to the die roller, I'd give you a brains roll at 8d6 adding 3 BP again.
FA FO
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:46 pm Joker
Joker will be leaving the Hex Bag in the secret panel, and will not be using his goggles.

Joker has a brilliant (stupid?) idea- He wants to try and rig something that will supplement the containment frequencies, working with his PKE and cell phone- IF he can do it with the miscellaneous electronics and tools he has on-hand here. He's certain that he has no time to get back to the Firehouse and do a proper job of it.
If I could get to the die roller, I'd give you a brains roll at 8d6 adding 3 BP again.
Roll it with Google and take a Screenshot :) I like this idea.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:45 pm Cool: [4d6] = 16 G:[1d6] = 5
You recognize one of the faces in the line as the young woman from earlier. She like the others is focused on the house, chanting and holding hands with the other witches that surround the house on two sides. Also, the PKE on your phone is going crazy trying to sort all the different readings happening all at once.
Last edited by Bluehorse on Fri May 14, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:11 am Mac

Cool +3BP [5d6] = 18 ghost die [1d6] = 1

About to get fun.
There is plenty to see. The cat attacking Lionel and even the ghost that receeded back into the house were obvious. But as you turn around for a better look, you lose your footing and accidentally fall on your back. When you look up at the house you are certain you see an image of a woman in a window of the second floor.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I think I just saw a ghost, female in the second floor window." Mac stands up and brushes himself off.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#227 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy heads outside and tries to get out past the ring of chanting people.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 pm Roy heads outside and tries to get out past the ring of chanting people.
At about 10 feet from the line of women, Roy feels like he walks into a spongy brick wall and is pushed back.
GreyWolfVT

#229 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy looks like this is not good and heads back to inform the others "Uh guys we're trapped in some sort of invisible bubble wall thing."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#230 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel heads back into the house, still attempting to rescue/ wrangle the cat with the weird eyes. It is really getting windy out there, and it sounds like a bunch of people...chanting something? Maybe I'm just imagining that one 'cuz of the creepy house. Check out this cat's eyes- no pupils! Is it blind?
Cool: [2d6]=7; Ghost Die: [1d6]=5
Lionel has no goggles.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac heads back in with Lionel. "Weird shit going on for sure."
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Bluehorse »

The Haunting of 601 North E Street
You've got that eerie feeling.September 10, 2018, 1:05 pm
Unnaturally Cold Inside - Windy outside - Rolling thunder

Felt like it was time to pull everything together into one main post again between all the more rapid action posting.

Joker
I took the liberty of rolling for you:
Joker Brains: [7d6]=23 G: [1d6]=2 :o :shock: :lol:
The Turk goes full mad scientist and begins dropping equipment on the floor right then and there. His Universal Tool comes out and he is quickly pulling open panels and yanking wires from the old Analogue PKE as well as his cell phone. There are sparks and what looks to the untrained eye like someone solely focused on the destruction of the equipment. He then jams some of the wiring from them both to the Proton Pack and there is a loud whirling noise before the PKE flashes and the antennas go all wonky. Using his phone as well as the analog dials, he manages to make the PKE transmit frequencies rather than receive. It is a real rat-rod of a job, but it is working! After a few moments of dialing it in he locks onto a frequency directly between the old and the new securing the house and property. Everyone, no matter where they are, can feel the sudden and almost violent shift in the air as all the energies are locked tight. That's the good news.

The Bad news is that Joker can see this is not going to last long, and of course this is not a permanent fix. The equipment is simply not made to run this way, and based on how everything is acting right now, and assuming there is not problems, he estimates that there will be a critical failure in approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

Okay, so each typical round is more to less 5 minutes outside of combat though as always that is a little wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Basically, in 6 rounds I am going to start rolling to see if there is a failure or not, and then give Joker or anyone else handling the equipment a chance to fix it.
As long as you can maintain it, it will keep working. But now you are operating on a clock. Do as you will. :)

Roy No sooner voices his concerns than the snap in the air is felt. Even the witches seem to notice and falter, if only briefly and look around before continuing their chants. It becomes clear to Roy in that moment that when they stopped, the air shifted again, almost like a drag on an old record player. When they start up again, he can feel everything go back to how it was the second before when to his perspective, not seeing Joker and his new gizmo whatever happened, happened. The witches continue their chants, hyper-focused on the house.

Jason will be made dizzy when the power snaps and wavers right after. His own PKE sensitivity affected by the sudden changes. He is also sure he feel a pulse of.... something... almost like a singular heartbeat from the book in his hand.

Mac decides enough is enough and heads inside, taking Lionel with him. The former football star somehow manages to shrug off the idea of the ghost almost getting him as well as get the cat to let him pick it up. It purrs in his arms but then turns and looks out into the yard, hissing. Something else good about Lionel's background, he knows an offensive line when he sees one. The statues from the garden are moving closer!

Map Unable to post a map just now, but Mac and Lionel are now either in the Guest room or the kitchen where the ghost went. Just let me know and I will post a quick addendum for you guys.

kept the Spellbook to Jason's Inventory and putting the HexBag back in the panel.

So as you have likely figured out, this is the first severely haunted house you have come across and there is a lot of unpack. If at any point you think I have missed something or you get confused, please let me know and I will fix it as best and quickly as I can. Hope you are enjoying this :)

Inventory:   
Ecto: 1 Proton Packs, 1 PKE Extention for Phones, 1 Slime Blower, 1 Sniffer
======================================================================
Jason: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Old Spellbook
Lionel: Ecto Keys, Phone, Proton Pack, Trap.
Roy: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggles - M
Joker: Phone, PKE Extention, Proton Pack, PKE - A, 2 Traps, Ecto Goggles - M
Mac: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggle - A.
Brownie Point Spending:
Joker: -3 to Roll
Mac: -3 to Roll

Actions?
Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 214/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 178/188 @
Roy O'Dowd: 157/157 @@
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal 249/260 @
David "Mac" McAuslan 166/191
@

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Urson »

Joker
Sorry I didn't get back to this any sooner- Real World plus the Die Roller overhaul plus using my phone to keep track of what's going on.
Joker smiles- briefly. A bandage I have built! But we need a better power source. A battery of some kind... He starts running through options in his mind- the battery from Ecto-1, a power supply from a proton pack, a generator... Ecto! Of course!
Brains 5 [4d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=1 :surprised: Joker's current inspiration is to rig a connection with Ecto-1's engine, using the vehicle as a generator to provide power for the gadget
FA FO
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#234 Post by Taaz »

Jason had headed out of the room to find Roy, but became mesmerized by Jokers contraption, ..so, thats...brilliant. He says to himself as joker works. As Joker powers it up he feels the energies shift and gets a bit lightheaded, bracing against the wall he steadies himself and starts to look at the book in his hand. Uhh Joker any way I can use those goggles. He holds up the book Theres something really weird about this.
GreyWolfVT

#235 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy goes back inside trying to locate Joker in all this confusion. "Did anyone hear me? I said they locked us down inside some sort of bubble."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#236 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel finds Joker and Jason. The statues in the garden are moving this way. I think they are protecting...something. I don't know if they are trying to protect us from something, or keep us from getting to something, but kitty here didn't like them, he says, scratching the cat behind the ears. What do you mean, some kind of bubble, Roy?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Maybe they are reinforcing the original ward?"
GreyWolfVT

#238 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy shrugs "I don't know I couldn't see it but when i tried to break past the eh witches chanting I slammed into some sort of spongy wall or force. So I called it a bubble. Couldn't see it but it was there almost like being trapped in a glass dome"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Urson »

Joker
Trapped? We can't trapped be- My bandage won't hold long= we need power it. Joker pauses and takes a breath, visibly trying to keep himself calm. He slides the Ecto Goggles to Jason. When he speaks again, he's visibly searching for the English words he needs.

This- mess he gestures to the breadboarded gadget, Is to try and...reinforce the containment we accidentally disturbed. If it keeps working, we have 30 minutes before the... batteries fail. We need a permanent...fix, and we need it soon.
FA FO
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Bluehorse »

The Haunting of 601 North E Street
You've got that eerie feeling.September 10, 2018, 1:10 pm
Unnaturally Cold Inside - Windy outside - Rolling thunder

Joker's Field Device Timer: 1/6

Joker is still working on his bandaid solution, realizing quickly that its limitations will be and working on another solution to extend the device's life. He gets a good idea for how to adapt it to work off the Ecto, perhaps even as a future piece of equipment that could be mounted on the roof rack, but this is a mental tangent that goes nowhere and doesn't address his main problem. The device already being attacked to the proton pack, it has a good power supply for now, but what will not hold us is the components in the PKE itself that were never intended to function in this way. There are vital parts of the device that are sure to fail just like driving a car at high speed in reverse. It will work for a while, but soon something's got to give.

Roy can barely be heard outside so he comes back into the house.
Did anyone hear me? I said they locked us down inside some sort of bubble.
This also means that the Ecto itself is out of reach since it is parked on the curb well behind the witches and their chanting.

Roy feels the chill again as he enters the house and is sure he hears things moving around upstairs, but they seem more muffled now.

Jason looks almost enamored with Joker's skill as he looks at the rigged up device and it clicks for him what the Mad Turk has put together. He then borrows the Ecto Goggles and has a look around.

What he sees at first is that the positive energy fields... which are very much plural now as compared to when they first arrived and there was but one, seem almost blindingly bright and the goggles themselves have to adjust and refocus. The weakened original one certainly emulates from the panel he and Joker opened earlier where they found the book and Hex Bag. Another two are much stronger and work almost complimentary of one another now, one that seems to come from a source external from the house and the other filling in the gap to work in tandem with both of their fields from Joker's device.

The book in Jason's hand certainly looks like the energy pulsing from it rhythmically could have been part of the original field from the hidden panel, but it is now disorganized and ambient rather than focused. Think of water bubbling up from a source in one hand vs being directed down a canal in the other.

Mac and Lionel rejoin the others in the living room inside the house. They warn the others about the statues outside that are moving towards the house.

Joker and Roy will also notice that Lionel is holding a very familiar orange cat with large pupilless green eyes. It is currently purring as Lionel gives it a scratch behind the ear.

When Jason turns to look at the Cat, it is emulating a bright molten aura of PKE energies neither negative, nor positive, but a fluctuating motley of both at the same time.

Joker knows time is ticking on his device if they want to make the most of it.

Almost as if on queue, there is a thump, another, and the sounds of breaking glass in the Guest Room to the south as well as at the window just now on the west side of the Living Room you are in now. Those statues don't seem to be protecting anything. They are coming inside!
il_570xN.640340877_8s62.jpg
il_570xN.640340877_8s62.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 273 times
e2b23f54b0b44da4272d86cb78.jpg
e2b23f54b0b44da4272d86cb78.jpg (136.55 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Violet2_large.jpg
Violet2_large.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 273 times
halloween-yard-12.jpg
halloween-yard-12.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 273 times
076ddf4397f97f29cbf9acc6a69cd3c6.jpg
076ddf4397f97f29cbf9acc6a69cd3c6.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 273 times
Map
B+F1+F2-15.jpg
B+F1+F2-15.jpg (155.59 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Inventory:   
Ecto: 1 Proton Packs, 1 PKE Extention for Phones, 1 Slime Blower, 1 Sniffer
======================================================================
Jason: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Old Spellbook
Lionel: Ecto Keys, Phone, Proton Pack, Trap.
Roy: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggles - M
Joker: Phone, PKE Extention, Proton Pack, PKE - A, 2 Traps, Ecto Goggles - M
Mac: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggle - A.
Brownie Point Spending:

Actions?
Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 214/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 178/188 @
Roy O'Dowd: 157/157 @@
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal 249/260 @
David "Mac" McAuslan 166/191
@

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

Return to “Mission Archive”