Fifth Expedition

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Fifth Expedition

#101 Post by Dumnbunny »

beermotor wrote:I think Level 1 Dwarves shield bash on a d14, but I could be wrong?
Crap, I knew that, but posting after a long day I had a brain-fart :/.

Murq's Fort Save: 17 (d20) + 0 = 17
Jed's Fort Save: 7 (d20) + 2 = 9

Hmm, Jed has 10 Luck currently, and he'll burn whatever he must to make that save.

Murq sees HP ready to swing his torch, Jonas fiddling with a flask of oil, and winces. He tries to time his attack with theirs, attempting to push the figure back with the force of his spear thrust, forgoing a shield bash.

Jed will touch Murq's shoulder from behind, muttering a prayer to Nergal.

Murq's attack:
Deed Die: 3
Spear: 11 + 1 (Str) + 3 (Deed Die) = 14 To Hit, 1 (d8) + 1 (Str) + 3 (Deed Die) = 5 Damage

Jed's Lay on Hands on Murq: 18 + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 18, 6 Healing
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]
noahms456
Squire
Squire

#102 Post by noahms456 »

Both Karl and Edoard, slightly unhinged by their complete lack of efficacy, take two steps back to place a little more distance between themselves and the hooded thing. Karl notices that Edoard is always slightly at his elbow and a little behind, in every bar fight and alley brawl. He'll take it up with his friend.. "Wait, friend? How long have I known him, really, a few months?" All thoughts of music have fled his mind.

Edoard is prepared to trip Karl up if it means that these man-beasts will pause before eating himself. He has one hand on Karl's shoulder, as if to pull him out of (or into) harm's way as need be.

Sedge the Elf, still choking from the still and moldy air, lets out a feeble "Look out!" - he means to warn his comrades that there is a flask of oil about to be lit but his fear has the better of him. He is paralyzed by indecision and longing for trees.

Hobart Hobnail, jaw clenched and slightly embarrassed, has viewed the more experienced members' actions in tossing a flask of oil and steps well back to avoid any splashing. His hammer-arm is cocked for a another attempt to strike.

I haven't yet figured out if we use the dice roller on the site or not - is this just honor system? Also, if I had kept up I ought to have burned the Luck to see if I could have wounded these bad boys.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by beermotor »

honor system... i use rolz.org.
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Raven Crowking »

Well, well, well. Unexpected, this is.

Jed needs a 13 to save, so burns 4 Luck.

Beermotor is correct - honour system is in force.

Murq, realizing a need to time his attack to those of his comrades, waits for HP to thrust the torch forward.

HP thrusts forward with the torch, hitting the creature, which is not immediately set afire. At the same time, Murq attacks with the spear. It would be a mighty strike indeed, if the flesh resisted, but it does not.

Gunnar attacks and misses.

Jonas, panicking, throws oil as Hob steps back. The roll is a "3", and the oil falls short. Does it light anyway? Not yet. The vial smashed on the floor, making footing somewhat slick and splashing everyone somewhat, save Sedge, who is truly out of the way.

Karl and Eodard back up, while Cisneros, who is prone, scrabbles to hands and knees, attempting to get behind the dog. From being prone in the immediate vicinity, Cisneros is perhaps the oiliest of the group.

Jed lays hands on Murq as the creature reaches out to him with both hands. As Murq is healed, Jed is struck twice (19 +1 and 16 +1), taking 2 points of damage from each strike (4 points total), and requiring two Fort saves.

Next Round.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by beermotor »

"BY THE HAMMERER!" Gunnar roars, and strikes at the creature. 5 + 2 = 7. Dang... does he get some sort of "it's all over Jed right now and you're behind it" bonus?

Daryll will throw a dagger at the thing's head. 16 + 1 = 17 to hit, 1 + 1 for damage, so he'll burn 2 Luck for +2d3 = +3 = 5 total damage. Hopefully to its head. Hopefully.

Cisneros, covered in oil, panics and crawls as fast as he can away from the melee. HP, having dropped/thrown/swung the torch, scrambles back likewise.

And when you say "unexpected" do you mean that we didn't set ourselves on fire, or that we're about to TPK on a group of 3 undead things that are only vulnerable to blunt objects, of which we only have 1? :-)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by Dogma »

beermotor wrote:And when you say "unexpected" do you mean that we didn't set ourselves on fire, or that we're about to TPK on a group of 3 undead things that are only vulnerable to blunt objects, of which we only have 1? :-)
I would think both :)

Willem will continue to strike with the butt of his spear "Die ye filthy undead bilge rat!"

to hit [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3, damage [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 that's not good

Jonas continues to back away from the creature, until he stumbles over one of the dropped sledge hammers. To afraid to wield it himself, he pushes it across the floor so it is within reach of the other combatants.
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by Raven Crowking »

Well, I've given sufficient time, and I am going to assume now that anyone who has not responded is too stunned to move this round.

HP, Jonas, and Cisneros all scramble back as best they can.

Daryll throws a dagger at the thing's head, which drives into its eye.

Willem strikes out with the butt of his spear "Die ye filthy undead bilge rat!" He misses.

But, clawing at the dagger in its eye, the creature reverts to old bones and rags, and collapses in a heap.

"BY THE HAMMERER!" Gunnar roars, his weapon passing through the now-empty space where the creature had just been.

3 XP each.

I still need saves for Jed, unless you want me to roll them.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by beermotor »

Sheesh.

Cisneros frantically tries to wipe the oil off his body. "Keep those torches AWAY!"

Daryll tries to calm the dog. "Well, guess we figgered out what to do to them things. Hit 'em in the head, or hit 'em with a hammer." He retrieves the daggers he threw.

Gunnar grunts, then sniffs, looking to see if there's any gold or gems on the ground where these un-dead things collapsed into dust.

HP absent-mindedly wipes the oil off, then picks up the sledge hammer and goes back to work on the wall.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#109 Post by Dumnbunny »

Jed's Saving Throws: 13 and 18. If the target is different from last time, he'll burn luck (up to 5 points).

The battle done, Murq quietly wipes the oil off himself, and whatever bits of dust were left by the creatures on his spear.

Jed, suffering badly from the unholy touch of whatever-those-were, puts a palm on his chest and beseeches Nergal for healing.

Jed's Lay on Hands on himself: 18 - 1 (Luck) + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 17, 1 Healing

Still feeling very considerably weakened from his ordeal, Jed imposes on Nergal once more, that he may live to continue to serve Him.

Jed's Lay on Hands on himself: 20 - 1 (Luck) + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 19, 5 Healing
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#110 Post by beermotor »

HP, whistling an off key and slightly mad-sounding tune, pauses in between hammer blows on the crumbling wall. "Say, Master Jed, care to explain what that heretic business was all about?"

Daryll reaches down and grabs his sledge hammer, then thrusts the handle rather rudely at Eduard, the fat merchant. "Get to work, chum. That wall ain't gonna break itself down." He continues to look nervously back down the hallway where they came from. He looks sidelong at Cisneros, trying (perhaps in vain) to wipe the oil off his clothes. The elf looks back with a "Yeah, I know, that was too close" expression.

Gunnar claps Murq on the back. "I'm glad to have met you, friend. But we need to get you a warhammer, don't we?"

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#111 Post by Dumnbunny »

beermotor wrote:HP, whistling an off key and slightly mad-sounding tune, pauses in between hammer blows on the crumbling wall. "Say, Master Jed, care to explain what that heretic business was all about?"
"I'm not sure, well, that is to say, I believe they were creatures of Orcus and Set. They're the sons of Nergal, who was 'slain' by them. Afterwards, they corrupted his worship. I believe they recognized me as a true worshiper of Nergal and were offended by me."
beermotor wrote:Gunnar claps Murq on the back. "I'm glad to have met you, friend. But we need to get you a warhammer, don't we?"
"Aye", Murq spits on the ground. "This spear's near worthless."
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Raven Crowking »

There is no way to wipe oil out of your clothing, so you'll want to avoid being caught in a fire attack. Or not. Up to you. Either way, it soaks into your clothing wherever you came into contact. It is not easy even to launder oil out of cloth.

Gunnar smells no gems or precious metals upon the fallen un-dead things, although he can smell such coming from beyond the bricked-up area.

Back to the wall.....With each blow of the heavy sledge hammers, loud echoes roll through the dank passageways.

You are about half-way through when you are again disturbed. This time it is by a single figure, nude, pattering out of the dark - from its half-rotted body you guess that it is not alive. If it were not for the dog's sudden attention, you would all be surprised. As it is, the thing is only 5' away you before you have a chance to react. At least there seems to be only one....also coming from the long hall to the west and south.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by beermotor »

"Damnable things!" Gunnar will move to engage it, attempting to smash it in the head with his warhammer. Rolled a 3, + 2 (deed die) + 2 = 7 total.

"Keep digging, it's just one ... so far," Daryll says to HP and Eduard.

Cisneros, oily as he is, will stay well away from those carrying torches, and keep a very nervous watch out behind the group.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#114 Post by Dumnbunny »

Murq snatches the mace from an unresisting Jed's belt and moves towards the nude figure. "Mind if I borrow this, lad?" He swings hard at the figure with both mace and shield, trying to bring it down to the floor. Jed meanwhile boldly brandishes his holy symbol, "In Nergal's name, depart!" But he stands there impotent, no feeling of Nergal's might flowing through him at all.

Initiative: 3 (d20) + 0 = 3

Deed Die: 1
Mace: 15 (d20) + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 17 To Hit, 3 (d6) + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 5 Damage
Shield Bash: 2 (d14) + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 4 To Hit

Turn Unholy: 7 + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 7

For convenience, I've put some vital stats in my signature.
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#115 Post by Raven Crowking »

"Damnable things!" says Gunnar, moving to engage it and swinging his warhammer.

Murq snatches the mace from an unresisting Jed's belt and moves towards the nude figure. "Mind if I borrow this, lad?" However, taking a weapon from someone else is not the same as drawing one from your own scabbard, and that takes up Murq's action for this turn. He gets to the un-dead thing, but is only allowed his dwarf special ability (shield bash), which misses.

Jed meanwhile boldly brandishes his holy symbol, "In Nergal's name, depart!" But he stands there impotent, no feeling of Nergal's might flowing through him at all.

The creature lunges at Murq (10 + 2 = 12), trying to fasten grisly teeth into his flesh, but the doughty dwarf manages to interpose his shield at the last moment.

I very much appreciate the stats in the sigs, which allows me to post without having to look things up!
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by beermotor »

Sorry, forgot initiative, and forgot to shield bash. DERP.

Init: 8 + 1 = 9.

Gunnar attacks again, going for the head of the thing with his warhammer. 18 + 2 (deed die; dang) + 2 = 22 to hit, 8 + 2 + 2 = 12 damage. Shield bash: 5 + 2 + 2 = 9 to hit, what's damage for a regular ol' shield? d4? EDIT: Ok, assuming a 9 will hit, damage is 2 + 2 + 2 = 6.

HP keeps swinging the sledge.

Daryll and Cisneros keep a sharp lookout to the rear.
Last edited by beermotor on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by Raven Crowking »

Sword and board: Dwarves excel at fighting with a
shield in one hand and a weapon in the other. When
fighting with a shield, a dwarf always gains a shield
bash as a second attack. This shield bash uses a d14
to hit (instead of a d20). The dwarf adds his deed die
to this number, as with all attacks, and can attempt
Mighty Deeds of Arms involving the shield as well
as his weapon. The shield bash does 1d3 damage.
Some dwarves customize their shields with spikes
or sharp edges to do more damage, while others
enchant their shields with unique powers. Dwarves
with multiple action dice (levels 5+) still receive only
one shield bash each round.
Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by Dogma »

Willem drops his spear and digs through his pack for his crowbar. "This be makin' a nice dent in 'is noggin' I reckin"

I think this is his only action for the round since it was in his backpask. It not please feef free to roll to hiot and damage to speed things along.

Jonas tries to keep out of everyones way and nerviously keeps watch for any more creatures approaching.
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by Raven Crowking »

The creature moans as it lurches forward....but however eager it is to attack, Gunnar strikes first, striking heavily with his warhammer. The blow sends the creature lurching, nearly caving in its chest. As the dwarf attempts to bash with his shield, the maimed dead thing slips inside the radius of the shied, and bites Gunnar's arm (15 + 2 = 17), dealing 4 points of damage.

Willem now has his crowbar.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by beermotor »

Gunnar howls in rage. "Get it off!" Then he smashes it (again) with his warhammer. 1, fumble. (Sigh.) 7, he drops the warhammer, cursing loudly at his lost grip. Then he tries to bash the thing in the head (deed) with his shield again. 10 + 3 (deed succeeds) + 2 = 15 to hit, 2 + 3 + 2 = 7 damage. For the extra blow to the head, d4 damage? If so, +4 damage.

If that's not the end of this dang thing, then I don't know what to tell y'all...

HP continues digging at the wall with the sledgehammer, urging Edoard to keep doing so as well. Cisneros and Daryll keep a close lookout to the rear.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”