Fifth Expedition

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Fifth Expedition

#81 Post by Dumnbunny »

Raven Crowking wrote:So, by the RAW, you can draw a weapon while moving and attack, for example.
So, in this case, I could draw a weapon holy symbol while moving standing more or less still and attack turn unholy. Correct?
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by Raven Crowking »

Dumnbunny wrote:
Raven Crowking wrote:So, by the RAW, you can draw a weapon while moving and attack, for example.
So, in this case, I could draw a weapon holy symbol while moving standing more or less still and attack turn unholy. Correct?
Absolutely.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#83 Post by Dumnbunny »

Jed's sling falls to the ground as he releases it in favour of his skull-topped mace, a symbol holy to his god. Brandishing it in front of him, he yells "Your existence is an affront to Nergal! Begone!"

Turn Unholy: 13 + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 13

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by Raven Crowking »

Okay, everyone has had more than enough time to chime in!

Cisneros is in a tough spot - fleeing will incur an attack, and he cannot Invoke Patron (when he gets access to the patron spells he will have new mercurial rolls for them) without some part of his patron.

Jed's sling falls to the ground as he releases it in favour of his skull-topped mace, a symbol holy to his god. Brandishing it in front of him, he yells "Your existence is an affront to Nergal! Begone!" Although his voice rings with the authority of Dread Nergal, it seems to have no effect on these men.

Willem stabs with a spear, but draws no blood.

Jonas moves back to prepare a flask of oil. Since he was in melee, one of the men gains a free attack as he withdraws - 10 + 1 = 11. I assume that, with the armour provided by the Lord, that is too low to hit?

Gunnar's warhammer cracks the skull of the one that just touched Cisneros, but not before the creature can attempt it again. With a 15 + 1 = 16, it comes in contact with the elf once more, causing 3 hp damage, and forcing another Fort save. Even as it touches Cisneros, its skull is shattered, and the thing is revealed for what it is - a foul-smelling skeletal lich, barely held together by rotting tendons and bits of flesh, in a nauseus moldering robe!

Meanwhile, the other two continue to attack Murq in their desire to reach Jed. One gets an 11 + 1 = 12, and the other a 6 + 1 = 7. I assume that the 12 misses?

Murq's spear slices into the creature, and he feels it cut along the bone. When he follows it up with a shield bash, the creature falls....not only to the ground, but into another heap of reeking bones and soiled cloth!

Next round.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#85 Post by beermotor »

Dang. Down goes Cisneros... Fortitude save: 9 + 1 = 10, if that doesn't get it, he'll burn some Luck as needed. And hope that Jed can heal his wounds this round!

Gunnar, seeing the two creatures destroyed, is emboldened, and attacks the remaining thing. 17 + 2 = 19, damage = 1 + 2 = 3 (sigh). "Bash them with hammers and shields, blades are useless!"

Daryll keeps a tight grip on Fang. "You best heal the elf, priest, let the dwarves handle that last'un!" he shouts.

HP stays behind Daryll, and looks nervously back the way they came...
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by Dogma »

Jonas moves back to prepare a flask of oil. Since he was in melee, one of the men gains a free attack as he withdraws - 10 + 1 = 11. I assume that, with the armour provided by the Lord, that is too low to hit?
His AC is 13, so yes that is a swing and a miss.

Seeing his new spear is useless agains their opponents, Willem wishes he had picked up the club from Garth's body in addition to the other items. He'll try to use the spear to fend off any attacks.

Can he strike with the spear butt or swing it like a staff?

Jonas will hold onto the flask of oil to see how the fight continues.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Raven Crowking »

Yes, you can swing with the spear butt - 1d4 damage.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Dogma »

He will attempt that then
To hit: [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16, damage [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2

noahms456
Squire
Squire

#89 Post by noahms456 »

"'Twas nothing in the world me pa hated more than idleness and cowardice", says Hob. "You'll need to cower here in the rear without me, lads. Gold and silver to be had yonder and these men'll not keep me from what we came for." Hob the Dwarf will attack the nearest robed man with his hammer (a 4 on d20 for a miss)

"Come, come, let's not tarry here - we needs must make our way back to the surface! I cannot breathe in this place" - Sedge the Elf considers running for the block and tackle room, but attempts to duck and weave and grab the wounded Cisneros if he can -- mustering all the courage within him. (he has a 5 STR so he may need help if he is succesful).

Spotting the look on their comrade and drinking companion, Karl and Edoard advance with daggers drawn, urging him to stay and fight as he is able. Edoard's ukulele is tucked behind safely, and he is secretly composing a lyrical ode about his first mortal combat.

Edoard whispers through clenched teeth "Dammit! No humming. Now is not the time!"

They both strike at enemies who stray near but do not advance to the fray proper - a serious fear of sorcery seems to permeate them both just now

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#90 Post by Dumnbunny »

Murq goes after the remaining foe, attacking with his spear but rather than thrust with it, he swings the shaft at the monstrosities legs, bashing at it with his shield. Meanwhile, Jed turns to Cisneros, touching him while speaking a brief prayer to Nergal.

Murq's attacks:
Spear: 10 + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 12 To Hit, 1 (Shaft-strike, assuming a 1d4) + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 3 Damage
Shield Bash: 18 + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 20 To Hit, 2 + 1 (Str) + 1 (Deed Die) = 4 Damage

Jed's Lay on Hands on Cisneros: 12 + 1 (CL) - 1 (Per) = 12, 4 + 2 = 6 Healing

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by beermotor »

Oof. Thanks for the heal but I noticed Murq rolled an 18 for the shield bash... I think Level 1 Dwarves shield bash on a d14, but I could be wrong?

It would be nice if we could just fix that going forward cause I think this encounter will level most all the 0s (except for the 4 new ones).

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Raven Crowking »

Shield bash does indeed use 1d14. Let us adjust that...the new roll is.....3.

Cisneros burns 3 points of Luck to make his save.

Gunnar strikes the remaining opponent, but does not slay it.

It once more attacks Murq, 14 + 1 = 15, for 5 points of damage and a Fort save.

Willem's strike comes in contact with flesh, but seems to do little good.

Murq's attacks do nothing, but when Jed goes to lay hands on Cisneros, the creature pushes past Murq to gain a free attack. This will gives Murq a free attack, 12 + 1 + 2, which unfortunately does nothing. The creature touches Jed (17 + 1), causing 3 points of damage and triggering a Fort save. Cisneros feels life coursing through him once more, but has his Stamina reduced by 1.

Hob the dwarf attacks and misses.

Because the creature has pushed near, Karl and Edoard also both attack - a 12 and a 16. The 16 cuts flesh, but there is no blood....unless Edoard wants to spend a point of Luck to reach bone?

Otherwise, next round.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by beermotor »

Wait, what? He was healed within one round, do you apply random physical stat loss as if rolling over the body in that situation? Maybe I misread the rules.

On next round, Gunnar will attempt to finish the job with his warhammer. 5 + 2 = 7, so I guess that's a miss. Sweet merciful crap we need a damn Halfling.

Cisneros will attempt to get the hell out of there and get behind Daryll and the dog.

Daryll will hold his action, wait for the thing to turn its back to him, then release the dog and attempt a backstab. (I'm not sure that's going to happen this round, but that's what he's waiting for...)

HP will perhaps unwisely advance, with his lit torch, and attempt to set the thing on fire. 17 to hit! d4 damage? If so, that's 4! And if it lights up, d6 fire damage is 5! [Edit: forgot -1 because of Birth Augur, so subtract 1 from the 4 damage at least, dunno if that counts towards the fire damage or not.] The future wizard has a strange, perhaps unholy gleam in his eye at the sight of the flames engulfing the weird un-dead thing.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Wait, what? He was healed within one round, do you apply random physical stat loss as if rolling over the body in that situation? Maybe I misread the rules.
You will find what you are seeking on page 93:

"A character that was bleeding out but was saved suffers permanent physical trauma from his near-fatal injuries. Anyone who is saved from bleeding out suffers a permanent loss of 1 point of Stamina. In addition, he gains a terrible scar from the would that downed him."

Also, as a side note, now that the creature is in the midst of you, are you sure that you want to set it afire?

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by beermotor »

Dang... I hadn't been playing with that rule in my game. Hmm. Heh, man, that's harsh. You know what this means, of course... from now on, we equip ranged weapons, and shoot everything first, no talking. Maybe that's what DCC is supposed to be about... :-)

If setting the thing on fire will catch just one other person on fire, HP will take that chance. If it's likely to set more than one, or everybody on fire, then he won't.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:If setting the thing on fire will catch just one other person on fire, HP will take that chance. If it's likely to set more than one, or everybody on fire, then he won't.
Could go either way. Do you feel lucky?

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by beermotor »

No. No, I do not feel lucky. Ever in this game. Heh.

HP hears some whispered voice from the dark, dark outerworld beyond the edge of sanity that says, "Do it," and so he does, gleefully.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by Dogma »

I am very torn...do I have Jonas put the oil back and pick up a sledge hammer to attack, or go with my first instinct, which is to have him panic and toss the flask of oil at the same time that HP throws the torch :o . What to do, what to do...

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#99 Post by beermotor »

I think you know what he must do... :lol:

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by Dogma »

Oh the inhumanity.. :twisted: .

Jonas could feel his panic raise as they fought the undead creature. Their blows were ineffective and it's touch seemed to quickly bring down all within reach. He watched as HP, a maniacal grin on his face, thrust forward with a lit torch.

What if it doesn't catch fire! We're all doomed! The thoughts burst into Jonas brain like lightning. Without thinking, he tossed the flask of oil in his hand at their undead foe and turned to run down the corridor.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”