Attack Sequencing vs. Round Count

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Attack Sequencing vs. Round Count

#21 Post by max_vale »

I remember reading a great Dragon articles years and years ago about how the 1st edition Monk class just wasn't worth the effort as it doesn't really do anything well......this last post just made me remember it! :)

That aside....I kinda like the "Kwai-chang-kane" 1st Edition Monk; but a couple of things I would change would be to allow Dexterity affect thier AC (I've never understood why it didn't); make thier Open Hand attack rate just be 2/1 until 9th level; when it increases to 3/1 (per my earlier post houserules).

Also...the weapons allowed are kinda wierd.......Crossbows? But that's another story! :)

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Xaxyx »

max_vale wrote:On top of this; what happens with a second weapon in hand?
In 1st Edition (and I'm reasonably certain in OSRIC as well), a second weapon in hand gives one full additional attack per round with the offhand. The mainhand attack rate is wholly unaffected. The only penalty is that mainhand attacks are made at -2 to-hit, and the offhand attack is made with -4 to-hit. These to-hit penalties can be mitigated by dexterity reaction adjustment (up to +0).

Just felt obliged to throw in that clarification. It's the rules lawyer in me. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

I applaud your passion for the subject, Xax.

But I've got to be honest with you; I can't be bothered to worry about this topic as much as you are.

If I'm a player in a game, I follow the GM's rules for the game. If I don't like his rules or his GM style, then I don't have to play his game. Simple.

If I'm the GM, then I'll provide details about what the rule is and expect my players to follow it. If they don't want to follow it, then it wouldn't bother me one bit if they left the game to find one more suited their play style.

It really isn't that big a deal to me.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by Xaxyx »

Alethan wrote:I applaud your passion for the subject, Xax.

But I've got to be honest with you; I can't be bothered to worry about this topic as much as you are.

If I'm a player in a game, I follow the GM's rules for the game. If I don't like his rules or his GM style, then I don't have to play his game. Simple.

If I'm the GM, then I'll provide details about what the rule is and expect my players to follow it. If they don't want to follow it, then it wouldn't bother me one bit if they left the game to find one more suited their play style.

It really isn't that big a deal to me.
Well this is, after all, the RPG theory forum. As far as practicality goes, if a DM chooses to use the RNR or some variant, then that's the rule and, as you've stated, I'll either play or drop out. Speaking more in general, it's rare that I come upon a DM with a rule so idiosyncratic and counter-intuitive that it prompts me to quit. And this certainly isn't one of them. So I suppose it's not a "big deal" to me, either.

My intention when creating this thread was merely to explore the rule, and perhaps demonstrate for DMs who are employing this rule, or are considering its use, that it has the potential for some real silliness, thus causing more harm than good. The passion you've identified is all focused upon critiquing the rule's effects; nothing more. I sympathize entirely with the purpose behind the rule. I simply feel that it not only fails to accomplish the goal toward which it's purposed, it in actuality just makes things worse for DM and player alike.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by max_vale »

I know as both a DM and a player; it seems like every few sessions something comes up where situations come up where everybody is surprised by a rule (or lack thereof) for a given situation.

Some examples that pop up in my head are:

-"Invisibility spell lasting FOREVER as long as the caster doesn't attack or is hit by an attack".....not sure if this is from 1st or 2nd Edition (or possibly both).....but personally; I think this is ridiculous. I house ruled that the spell lasts a number of hours equal to the caster's level.

-Ghoul paralysis having no listed length of time it lasts....(again, not sure if this was a 1st or 2nd Edition book)

-Halflings in 1st Edition can be Druids.....but not Clerics

-On the Classes available to each race in the 1st Edition Player's Handbook; only Humans and Half Orcs can be Clerics. NPC Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes can be Clerics....odd that they'd allow the Half Orc this option; but not the other Demi Human races....

-In 1st edition (both the PHB and UA) Clerics can't use Slings....

Etc., etc.

Of course; this also brings to mind the wonderful Gary quote about how the game is up to the individuals playing it and to use what works and throw out what doesn't! :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

Xaxyx wrote: My intention when creating this thread was merely to explore the rule, and perhaps demonstrate for DMs who are employing this rule, or are considering its use, that it has the potential for some real silliness, thus causing more harm than good. The passion you've identified is all focused upon critiquing the rule's effects; nothing more. I sympathize entirely with the purpose behind the rule. I simply feel that it not only fails to accomplish the goal toward which it's purposed, it in actuality just makes things worse for DM and player alike.
Well, you certainly got me thinking about it for my own house rules. I like the idea of making the additional attacks only take place on consecutive attack rounds with the same weapon. It seems quite logical.

I don't yet know if it will make the GMs job any easier, though. I suspect that even with such responsibilities handed over to the players, many GMs will continue to track such things on their own.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Xaxyx »

max_vale wrote:I know as both a DM and a player; it seems like every few sessions something comes up where situations come up where everybody is surprised by a rule (or lack thereof) for a given situation.

Some examples that pop up in my head are:
Hey, now! Don't you go hijacking my hijack! Why I oughta...
-On the Classes available to each race in the 1st Edition Player's Handbook; only Humans and Half Orcs can be Clerics. NPC Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes can be Clerics....odd that they'd allow the Half Orc this option; but not the other Demi Human races....
Forget not the illustrious half-elf, who can also be a cleric, though sadly no higher than 5th level (though unlimited in druid; go figure...)
Of course; this also brings to mind the wonderful Gary quote about how the game is up to the individuals playing it and to use what works and throw out what doesn't! :)
Love that Gary!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by max_vale »

Sorry...my mind tends to wander! :)

I was attempting to illustrate (badly!) that I have a similiar outlook on RPG Theory as illustrated by situations that to crop up here and there with rules/rules interpretations/rulings on rules every few sessions; even with fairly experienced players/DMs in my experience...

DOH! I TOTALLY forgot about the Half-Elf being allowed to be Clerics as a PC in 1st....I guess you had to be at least Half Human to qualify....though I have NO idea why.....:)

Sorry about the thread de-rail....and now; back to your regularly scheduled Attack sequencing/Round Count Thread!

Return to “RPG theory”