Character Generation

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Character Generation

#1 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I've posted some setting information, and also added a tab for the social circles the PCs will have ties to, so now it's time to start rolling up characters.

I'm going to go with [4d6k3] for attributes in order: STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, CHA

The dice roller campaign ID is 746.

Characters can be Human (Fighter, Magic User, Cleric, Thief), Dwarf (Fighter or Thief - see BX Dwarf for fighter and house rules for Thief), Slug Men (not so common in the region of play, Magic User or Cleric, for now, will mechanically be human), or Crab Men (see Yoon Suin for mechanics if interested, probably not too common in the Mountains of the Moon).

I think that will get us started. As we develop the PCs, I will give additional hooks into the setting.

For those that don't have the book, here's some background tables (for those without the book, I recommend a human from The Mountains of the Moon or a Dwarf - also from the Mountains of the Moon):

Result Geographic Origin (you can also choose The Mountains of the Moon)
1-3 The Mountains of the Moon
4-5 The Yellow City
6-7 Lamarakh
8-9 Sughd
10-11 The Hundred Kingdoms
12 Seaborne Nomad

Yellow City human
Result Background
1-3 Slave (if male, 50% chance of being a eunuch)
4-7 Very low caste (born of a prostitute, criminal, cockroach breeder)
8-13 Low caste (born of a waged labourer, servant, entertainer)
14-16 Commercial caste (born of a stall or shop owner)
17-19 Warrior caste (born of a soldier; if male, 90% chance of being a eunuch)
20 Artisan caste (born of a jeweller, weaver, dyer, refiner)

Lamarakh/Seaborne nomad
Result Background
1 Slave (re-roll to on geographic origin table for parentage)
2-4 Ordinary parents
5-7 Born of a skilled hunter or fisher
8-9 Born of a powerful warrior
10 Born of a shaman or summoner

Other Human
Result Background
1-3 Slave (if male, 50% chance of being a eunuch)
4-7 Very low caste (born of a prostitute, vagrant, criminal, cockroach breeder)
8-12 Low caste (born of a rice farmer, worm breeder, waged labourer, servant)
13-14 Merchant caste (born of a trader, salesman)
15-16 Warrior caste (born of a soldier, guard, assassin; if male, 60% chance of being a eunuch)
17-18 Artisan caste (born of a jeweller, weaver, dyer, refiner, tea brewer)
19 Landowning caste (born of a plantation owner or landed aristocracy)
20 Nobility (born of a ruler)

Dwarf
Result Background
1 Swordsman family – guards, mercenaries, assassins
2 Remnant aristocracy – the family believe they claim descent from nobility
3 Jewellers – a family of expert appraisers

Result Reason for Ruination
1 Plague or famine caused by angry gods
2 Haunting by ghosts of the ancestors driven wild
3 Civil war between rival leaders
4 Demons from the roots of the mountains
5 The golem servants created by the dwarves themselves
6 A great mystery

Frank
Last edited by ffilz on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Modric
Guide
Guide

Re: Character Generation

#3 Post by Modric »

Modric
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Modric »

Geographic Origin Roll:

[1d12] = 8

Sughd
Modric
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by Modric »

Background Roll:

[1d20] = 15

Warrior Caste
Modric
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Modric »

Deity Rolls (because of high Wisdom score)

[1d30] = 21,[1d3] = 1

Lawful deity that takes the form of a carnivorous plant.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

Stats
Stats: STR:13, INT:18, WIS:13, DEX:17, CON:7, CHR:10
Looks like a nimble magic user with tuberculosis.

Geographic Origin
Background [1d12] = 11
The Hundred Kingdoms
Background [1d20] = 3
Slave
Eunuch? If 50+, then yes: [1d100] = 8
Not a Eunuch
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Let's learn about my character's home town!
Polity: [1d12] = 9 [1d12] = 10 [1d12] = 10 [1d12] = 5
Rulership Style: Paranoid. The rulership is terrified of losing its power to hidden enemies.
Type: Tyranny
Symbol: Blade
Religiosity: Pantheon of Demigods
Issues: [1d6] = 2
Issues: [1d20] = 15 [1d20] = 12
Assets: Great Forge, Velvet worm breeding pits
Issues: [1d20] = 17
Issue: Rakhosh Insinuation
Polity Flavor: [1d30] = 7 [1d30] = 14 [1d30] = 4
Sacred monkeys wander the city without restraint.
Powerful curry, practically inedible to outsiders.
Butterfly house, made of glass, filled with plants and species of butterflies.

A slave for whom?
[1d8] = 2 [1d10] = 3 [1d6] = 1
A place of learning in conflict over fraud or theft with another place of learning.
[1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 3
NPC: Eldest Teacher
NPC: Wealthy Donor
The School has a bitter rival it wants destroyed.
Specialty: Torture and execution.
Raja Kupu
A wealthy city-kingdom in the burning south of the Hundred Kingdoms, renowned for its iron work and the wondrous Palace of Butterflies, a spire of glittering glass panes and an interior kept cool and moist at exorbitant cost. The people worship deified heroes and kings, eat blistering hot spices, and hunt the grasslands with trained velvet worms.

The city is plagued by jealous spirits from out of the desert, leading to periodic bouts of madness among the populace. The tyrant king, Golden Pratam, has responded with ever more restrictive laws and exacting suspicion of any behavioral deviancy. His own conception of what constitutes deviancy is increasingly unmoored and mercurial.

Wening was raised in slavery to one of several houses devoted to the arts of execution and torture. While execution is usually a straight-forward affair of throwing the condemned into a velvet worm breeding pit, torture is highly prized and respected as a necessary and learned art by the paranoid rulers of Raja Kupu. The House of Unveiled Truth is one of the smaller torture academies, dedicated to researching subtler and keener means of excruciation as much as performing them.

Wenig was given as a gift from a wealthy patron to the House's aging Master Scholar when she was a very young girl. She became the Scholar's eyes, learning to read and write in order to maintain his correspondence, studying anatomy that she might describe the interior landscape of the torturer's subjects, and eventually picking up a few spells for when mere physical manipulation of a subject fell short of desired results. She worked diligently, both from fear of being tossed to the velvet worms and out of genuine affection for her master. She knows her lot is better than that of most slaves—especially ones as prone to debilitating coughs and general enervation as she is.

Now, how did a sickly slave to torturers get from the Hundred Kingdoms to the Mountains?
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, I wonder if I should have thought about the background chart...

Anyone who wants to change their background, or hasn't rolled up yet, I'm offering that you can always choose to be from the Mountains of the Moon, and you can then choose to be from the starting Oligarchy (some details to be shared probably next week) or a neighbor.

Also, if anyone wants to be an actual outsider, PM me and we'll talk.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by rossik »

Butter Burt
Human Fighter
(to edit)

STR 13, INT 8, WIS 9, DEX 9, CON 13, CHA 6

DM, where should i look to roll the rest o my character?

Burt was a pugilist in his youth. After a cheap shot, he lost the main fight and all credibility. Since then, he got a food compulsion and started eating as hell. He got round and soft, always with a sweaty look on his frown. When he starved for a hole day, after checking there was no food left in his shack, he decided to go and adventure, maybe collect money in exchange of his axe chops
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

rossik wrote:Butter Burt
Human Fighter
(to edit)

Burt was a pugilist in his youth. After a cheap shot, he lost the main fight and all credibility. Since then, he got a food compulsion and started eating as hell. He got round and soft, always with a sweaty look on his frown. When he starved for a hole day, after checking there was no food left in his shack, he decided to go and adventure, maybe collect money in exchange of his axe chops
Do you want to go with outsider or native? If native, local or random origin (you can always roll random origin, and choose local after seeing the random origin)?
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by rossik »

ffilz wrote:
Human Fighter
(to edit)

Do you want to go with outsider or native? If native, local or random origin (you can always roll random origin, and choose local after seeing the random origin)?

native seems nice
Modric
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Modric »

Given Samsura's high Widsom and Strength, I was going to pick either Warrior or Holy Man. Looks like at least one Warrior and one Mage so far.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

rossik wrote:
ffilz wrote:
Human Fighter
(to edit)

native seems nice
Local or random origin?
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by redwarrior »

Hanarl, the Cleric Stats: STR:17, INT:6, WIS:17, DEX:8, CON:13, CHR:17 gets by and faith, strength, and his commanding presence. He's fairly hardy, starting out with decent hit points, url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... 70&macid=0][1d6] = 4 [/url]. Which is good, because he never was all that bright! He's saved up about a hundred gold [3d6] = 10, and is ready to spread his faith and a little mayhem!
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by redwarrior »

redwarrior wrote:Hanarl, the Cleric !
comes from the Hundred Kingdoms, [1d12] = 11, son of a noble [1d20] = 20,
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

I think I'll go with Frank's offer of rolling a random origin and seeing what I get before choosing whether I stick with random or pick local. So, here goes...

Geographic Origin: [1d12] = 6, Background: [1d20] = 11
So that makes my character from Lamarakh and (converting my 1d20 roll of 11 to a 1d10 roll of 6 on the Lamarakh/Seaborne nomad table) I am 'Born of a skilled hunter or fisher'

Sounds interesting. I'm already liking the sound of that.

The following info on Lamarakh is paraphrased from the book:

Lamarakh is the river-forest, a mighty confluence at the foot of the Mountains of the Moon where the waters of the God River gather amidst the lush forest. The spots of dry land there are more akin to islands and the Lamarakhi who live in the region do not bother to make permanent homes but go everywhere on rafts, skiffs, barges, coracles, catamarans, and sloops; often tying them together to make whole floating villages to ride the waterways.

For the human population of the Yellow City, who usually only speak the trade tongue, the Lamarakhi are another species entire, though they are as human as any city dweller. Their names are unpronounceable, their language an unsolvable puzzle, and their sexual proclivities abhorrent. In other respects Lamarakhi are charming and vivacious. Their lives are carefree, living as they do off the fruit of the forest and the fish of the rivers, and smoking their scented cigarettes which they call kojo. Some tribes are headhunters who raid the Hundred Kingdoms for sport and the flesh of cattle (and sometimes men), but the most part are engaged in peaceful trade. They are the go-betweens from the Oligarchies of the mountains, distant Sughd, and the Yellow City and Hundred Kingdoms down river. All trade in Yoon-Suin passes through their hands. Lapis lazuli, peridot, silver, copper, palladium, jade, opal, aquamarine, amethyst, tiger-eye...and tea and opium by the sackful. Yet the boat people have little use for such riches treat it as mere trinkets for, living as they do, they have nothing to spend it on.

Nice. I think I'll stick with this, it sounds cool.

I'm seeing my character as a primitive hunter/warrior, who lives on the edges of the trade cities, probably drifting around doing some raiding and some mercenary type work, guarding trade shipments and stuff. Whatever takes her fancy.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Pulpatoon »

redwarrior wrote:
redwarrior wrote:Hanarl, the Cleric !
comes from the Hundred Kingdoms, [1d12] = 11, son of a noble [1d20] = 20,
We should link our backstories up!
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by rossik »

random, the only true way!
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by redwarrior »

Pulpatoon wrote:We should link our backstories up!
Well, it looks like you're definitely the brains of the team! Maybe I decided I needed someone with that readin' and writin' when I headed out, and you decided that a big, dumb person that got along with others could be handy!

Return to “Frank's Yoon Suin (OD&D|BX)”