Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

The Morning After

#1 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 2
Time: 9:10
Weather: 45 degrees, partially cloudy

The party rose late to a modest breakfast spread that the stewards of the Watch had prepared for the heroes. As they rolled out of their cots and begin to move, the events of the previous night dripped back into their memories. A night's sleep had given them some perspective...

The party's strike against the Steading could not be deemed anything but a success. Scores of giants had been slain, the Steading had been left broken and burned.

But the party had not learned as much as they had hoped regarding the source, motivation, and cause of the unified giant/wildling raids. The party had seen signs of the giant's plunder, which surely portended more raids to come. More disturbingly, however, was the realization that these raids were not simply a matter of a mere alliance of convenience among the savage races North of the Wall. The party had seen races* heretofore known to them only in legend (if at all) in league with the foul hill giants. Who these things were and from where they had come was undoubtedly a further mystery to be uncovered.

And, most of all, the party had seen one of their companions -- a powerful priest no less -- dragged to his doom by a thing that should not be. The sight of this horror had tested the party's very sanity and, chillingly, undoubtedly left the impression that something much more sinister than giants lay at the heart of these recent troubles.

The party was left to discuss the happenings of the previous night and -- encouragingly --inspect the treasure they had won.

*Marsh giants and a cloud giant
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Morning After

#2 Post by Zhym »

Over breakfast, Gaerys makes suggestions that once again come off sounding like commands.

"First order of business: recuperation. We're in no shape to fight until our wounds have healed. As much clerical help as we can get with that, the better."

"Second: we need to recon the steading. Is anyone left alive there? Does any part of the steading yet stand? Are any clues to be found among the wreckage? If the steading is abandoned, I may be able to track the giants' exodus--but time is critical. If the steading is yet occupied, perhaps there is more we can learn. And what do we do, if anything, about the evil that lies beneath?"

"Antheris, you are relatively unscathed and travel well through wilderness. Would you accompany me on a reconnaissance trip? Our mission would be to observe, not engage."

"Third order: sorting through our acquisitions to determine those items most helpful to our mission. Vorsyin, that's your thing. How soon can you tell us what items are magic and their enchantments?"

"Last: trophies and treasures. You are all welcome to my share of gold; I have little need of it. And as for those shields, you can have those as well; I will carry the crest of no house. We can discuss any magic once its nature is known."
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, Druid

Antheris smiles at Gaerys over one of his great stone-shaped goblets of "breakfast ale," and nods.

"I'll be more than happy to help take a look at what is happening in and around there now.
"First let me see about what our new wolf companion might know and remember about the Steading, we may be able to use that to advantage.
"I will, however, need to attend to some of our wounded along with Hollis, but time away from camp in the embrace of the woods will do me well.
"Maybe some of the rangers in this camp have information to share? Could anyone see the Steading while we were in it, especially if anyone - or anything - fled it?"

Antheris will seek out the armorer or blacksmith in the camp and see to having the bear armor fit for Blue, who he'll go to pains to show the armorer is safe to be around and to fit the armor to. He will also speak with animals to make sure Blue understands, and also to see what his new dire wolf follower can tell them of the Steading and who was still at the steading just before the party left through the hole they made in the stone.

Antheris will also spend time to acquaint himself better with the surrounding wilderness, communing to absorb what he learned of his powers while in the steading, and also to determine what sorts of animals and beings inhabit the area. (ooc: in expectation of using Animal Summoning I and/or Call Woodland Beings in the near future). He will also Speak with Animals and Speak with Plants to locate the treant that helped them and survived and to learn the location where the treant that was destroyed spent its time, and go to thank them and others connected with them and to offer his condolences and mourn the destruction of the one who fell.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

The nights rest and hot meal have done a lot to help Vorsyin recover from the strains of the previous day. He would like nothing more then to spend the day in meditation and reflection but he knows that there is still work that must be done. Listening to Gaery's commanding voice confirms this idea.

I can look through everything we took and can confirm if anything is indeed magical in nature easily enough. Detailing the exact nature of the magic and its possible use, well, that is another thing entirely. I fear that I will be unable to accurately identify any magic item for quite some time, certainly until this conflict is over. He takes bite from a bread roll before continuing. The necessary magic is extremely taxing, not something that I can do more than once a day in the best of times. He pauses for a moment.

I fear that I need to keep my strength for our return trip.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis the Cleric

Hollis lifts the flap of the tent and quickly moves inside, hoping not to let much of the fire's warmth escape. He looks around at the battle-scarred crew and nods.

Who's in charge here? Name's Hollis, I was sent by King Stark to join your warband against the giants.

And after introductions are made, Looks like you fellows have already been out and about beyond the Wall. I can help, if you'll let me. I have some... skill in healing.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

"How fortunate. Healing is just what we need. If I might jump to the front of the line, I could be off and scouting more quickly."

To Vorsyin, he replies, "I did not realize identification was so arduous. It seems the only way to suss out an item's powers in time for those powers to be useful is by trying it on. Perhaps I shall do so with the ring, once we have taken appropriate precautions by removing my weapons and asking Hollis or Antheris prepare the prayers needed to remove any curse."

OOC: Also, it probably can't be used now anyway. From the Identify spell description:
The spell must be cast within 1 hour/level of the time a magic item first comes near the caster, or the magic user's own aura will have blended too much into the item's aura, contaminating his ability to read it.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Ethan Blacktyde

Ethan greets Hollis, "Good to have you. I am Ethan Blacktyde, Bannerman to Lord Stark, and leader of or expedition."

Ethan is small by the standards of the Northmen, but clearly a warrior Lord. Right now, he is wounded badly, with broken nose, wolf bite, an arrow wound, and several others. He also smells like the contents of a chamber pot.

"These were no normal giants we face. Some were for times the size of a man, and they are in league with demons. I'm glad to have the gods on our side."
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

drpete wrote: Ethan Blacktyde"These were no normal giants we face. Some were for times the size of a man, and they are in league with demons. I'm glad to have the gods on our side."
Hollis frowns a bit. I don't know if the old gods are on our side or not. Who's to say what the stones and the trees think of giants and men? Probably nothing at all. All I do know is that I'm on your side and I have a... way with things of nature.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Computer +1 »

Zhym wrote:"How fortunate. Healing is just what we need. If I might jump to the front of the line, I could be off and scouting more quickly."

To Vorsyin, he replies, "I did not realize identification was so arduous. It seems the only way to suss out an item's powers in time for those powers to be useful is by trying it on. Perhaps I shall do so with the ring, once we have taken appropriate precautions by removing my weapons and asking Hollis or Antheris prepare the prayers needed to remove any curse."

OOC: Also, it probably can't be used now anyway. From the Identify spell description:
The spell must be cast within 1 hour/level of the time a magic item first comes near the caster, or the magic user's own aura will have blended too much into the item's aura, contaminating his ability to read it.
I saw that about the spell also but I was going to ask Magnus if he would rule about how long away from the item it would take to restore the original aura.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin says a brief Hello Hollis before departing the breakfast area and seeking out a Maester. He will first attempt to restock the more mundane spell components before asking about the more obscure. (Like a few pearls.) He will then seek to discuss with the Maester the evil he felt at the Steading and see if the Maester can offer any information or insight as to what they may be dealing with.

After meeting with the Maester he will seek out a quiet place to begin his studies.

Magnus I will "restock" my memorized spells when you give me the go ahead.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

If Gaerys can get some healing and unless other rangers already have the steading under surveillance, he will head back to the steading, hopefully with Altheris, to watch it—from a safe, concealed distance—for any comings and goings. He'll leave the ring with Vorsyin for magic detection and identification.

I know, never split the party. But in this case I think it might make sense for a ranger of the Watch to, uh, keep watch on the steading while everyone else recuperates.
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

After helping Hollis with the healing of the party, Antheris will inquire among the rangers and maester at the camp about the availability of any healing potions or scrolls that were available for purchase.

Before he and Gaerys leave to scout, however, he will speak with his dire wolf follower for information the wolf may have.

Antheris next will prepare to scout the Steading with Gaerys by memorizing Speak with Animals, Locate Animals, and Speak with Plants and use them to speak with the plants and animals near the Steading to find out about anything coming to or going from the Steading.

He will also recon the Steading in bird form as he did previously.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis the Cleric

Right before Antheris and Gaerys leave to scout the Steading, Hollis will cast Augury and see if the scouting trip will result in weal or woe for the party.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 2
Time: 13:45
Weather: 45 degrees, partially cloudy

The party finishes breakfast and, joined by their newest companion, formulates their plan for the next stage of the war Against the Giants.

Ethan is able to rid himself of the smell of the chamber pot through a bath of cold water, lye powder, and a change of outer clothes. He relaxes as he awaits well-deserved healing. Kjelti joins him, though she keeps a suspicious eye open lest a desperate man of the Watch try to take advantage of her womanhood.

Antheris saunters around camp and the surrounding woods, breakfast ale in hand and animal companions in tow. He first speaks to his newest direwolf follower, who tells his story of its life in the service of the hill giants. It is much like one would expect -- bred from a bitch taken from the surrounding forest, beaten into submission by the keeper, and confined to the courtyard -- except when pursuing the brutal business of the giants. The direwolf, who has no name, could not share much more than the party already knew.

[*I read speak with animals as applying to only one type of animal at a time and there are no other dire wolves (or wolves) around.]

Antheris then speaks with the tall pines surrounding the Fist. They knew of the wise treants who overlooked the forest but knew nothing of the goings on of the prior night. However, the trees are able to describe the fauna of the forest in great detail...the druid recognizes them all as typical dwellers of a sub-arctic taiga forest, with pre-historic mega fauna mixed in...dire wolves, giant stags, badgers, aurochs, sabercats, great eagles and even mammoths in the far north. The trees also tell of other treants, as well as the Children of the Forest, who dwell in the underbrush and spaces beneath the trees. The trees have seen comings and goings of various races of giants, as well as ogres and various tribes of wildlings serving - or enslaved by - the giants.

[See game resources thread for wiki pages on various tribes of wildlings. Some are more civilized than others...]

Antheris then makes his way to the camp armorer, who, for a few pints of ale, is happy to adjust the armor for Blue. The druid's jovial way and bear's tame nature puts the armorer at ease. The armorer begins his work as Blue patiently stands still as the armor is suited for his needs.

Antheris's trip ends with a long meditation as he prepares spells useful for the planned reconnaissance.

[Please put your new spells on your character sheet. In addition, if you are going to specifically cast any spells, I need an ooc note. Sorry to be strict, but there needs to be a bright line there, or else I am guessing. The only exception to this is where we have agreed to "fast forward" for purposes of healing, whereby the party rests for a few days and spell casters are assumed to have memorized and cast all applicable healing spells. The party is doing too much today to call it a fast forward.]

Vorsyin leaves the tent to confer with Maester Llewyn, a slim older man with kind eyes and a still-sharp mind. Clearly pleased to be in the company of such an accomplished mage, the Maester greets him warmly and asks questions about the occurrences within the Steading. After hearing the description of the Marsh Giants, Cloud Giant, and especially the taking of Luna, he shudders deeply and explains:
This is just as I feared...we face a threat far greater and more terrifying than the muscle and sinew of the savage races North of the Wall.

Before the Ages of Man, before the time of the Children of the Forest, before even life itself was breathed into Westeros, there was Chaos. There was Shadow. And in this time unspeakable, impossible things ruled. Things without purpose, things without reason, things for whom light and life are abominations.

Their age passed as Old Gods brought Light to the Shadow, Order to the Chaos. Life would flourish. Their age at an end, these Ancient Ones would wither and die off in the bright light of life. But with the passing of the ages, the turning of the world, the Ancient Ones would be shaken from their slumber. Their death itself would threaten to die, undoubtedly spurred on by the wanton destruction and cruel deeds of Men.

Westeros's past is scarred with such stirs of the Ancient Ones. The Long Night, the Coming of the Others, the Night's King...these were times where the will of Men was tested.

I fear that another great test is upon us...the Ancient Ones are again struggling to awaken so that Shadow and Chaos can again overtake our world. Their servants have gathered and began their assault on the world of Men. They call to these beings through their unspeakable deeds and undoubtedly strange happenings that we have not yet seen.

You see, my friend, I do not fear the giants' clubs and boulders which we see in the broad daylight...what I fear lies waiting in the dark.

Do not repeat my thoughts outside of your fellows. We have a war to fight on the surface, and if the men were to know their true enemy, I fear we would not have the soldiers to do so.
That conversation concluded, the Maester digs around in a chest. He hands Vorsyin a handful of "mundane" material components, a pearl, as well as two potions. Vorsyin pays the Maester back in gold for the cost of these items. The Maester apologies that the two potions are all that he can spare, but asks if Vorsyin has any other specific material components that he requires.

Their business concluded, the Maester turns towards a number of injured men of the Watch, giving Vorsyin a solemn nod on the way out.

[Add 100 GP pearl and two potions of extra healing … subtract costs from your sheet or party treasure.]

Back in the party tent, Hollis slips in a trance punctuated with a chant to the Old Gods. He casts a handful of bones to the ground for a sign whether the scouting trip will result in weal or woe for the party. An upturned rodent skull and three rib bones falling in the shape of an ancient rune for "knowledge" causes the priest of the Old Gods to determine that the trip will result in WEAL for the party's mission.

Gaerys, joined again by Antheris, gather their things and prepare to depart. Gaerys hesitates, realizing that no healing had been administered to him quite yet....

Sorry again, but need a bright line for spellcasting.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys asks Antheris and Hollis if they might cure his wounds so that he and Antheris could set out and monitor the remains of the steading as soon as possible.

He plans to stay in the woods, watching the steading, until the party joins him, he has news worth returning to report, or the party sends someone to retrieve him.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris, Druid (41/41)

Antheris claps Gaerys on his mail clad back, "My friend, you are so eager to return that you have neglected your own health, I have but a little healing prepared today that I thought we might need on our trek, perhaps Hollis has something more potent, but let me use what I can. I do have a potion if our needs turn that dire." (ooc: Antheris will use his two Cure Light Wounds on Gaerys: cure light wounds x 2: [1d8] = 4, [1d8] = 7)

Antheris picks up a goblet of ale, swirls some mistletoe in it and hands it to Gaerys with a very stern look, "Quick now, drink up!"

While Gaerys is getting ready, Antheris conveys to his friends what he learned from the plants and animals, with many a broad smile to Hollis, about the surrounding area and its denizens. When they are about ready to go, he tells the dire wolf to stay at camp, and ends with, "We really need to find a proper name for her," as he scratches the wolf behind one ear.

ooc: Antheris's spells updated and marked off for this and his morning activities, and ready for the recon trip. His plan is to get near the steading, use Locate Animals if he cannot otherwise locate animals (focusing on whatever animal he and Gaerys see the most tracks of in the area), and, if necessary use Summon Animals to bring some of them to him quickly, and then use Speak with Animals to find out what they can tell him about recent happenings in and around the steading.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys accepts and drink the ale. He isn't sure about mistletoe as a flavoring, but free ale is free ale.

Character sheet updated. HP: 31/56.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis motions for Gaerys to sit down next to him. The cleric lays his hands on Gaerys' bandages, mumbling softly to himself. Gaerys feels a comforting warmth under the bandages, and a buzz that seems to be coming up from the ground and spreading through his body.

Hollis does this twice and, when he is done, unwraps the bandages. Gaerys' wounds are almost totally healed.

When Gaerys looks back at Hollis, he shrugs and smiles awkwardly. Just gave your body a little extra energy to get better faster.
Last edited by sulldawga on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

"Thank you both."

"Antheris, let us set out as soon as you are ready."
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sulldawga »

Hollis

After looking at Gaerys' wounds and examining the auguries surrounding the scouting trip, Hollis will seek out Ethan and see about hastening the healing process on his wounds as well.

Though he was not as successful with Ethan as he was with Gaerys, he is still confident.

I need to rest. We can try again tomorrow. It won't be long before you're hale and hearty once more.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”