Level 1 character thread

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Level 1 character thread

#1 Post by AleBelly »

Hi Chapter 1 players -

Your characters aren't out of the woods yet, but I'd like to set up this thread to talk through moving your PCs to level 1. For now let's focus on the ones that you brought through the funnel from the beginning. I have begun posting more information on the classes here, but I'll also open this thread for questions and discussions.

Just a couple general points that pertain to all classes/races:

When advancing a level, you can roll for hp. If you don't like the roll, you can either choose to increase your PCs hit points by half their hit die, or roll for them once again, but you're stuck with that roll. Modifiers apply in both cases.

Level 1 adventures may only have one PC per player. If short on staff, you can always hire henchmen or recruit 4 new 0-levels through the Unseen Servant's looking for players forum.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Level 1 character thread

#2 Post by Rex »

I am thinking of going with Thief for Wenyld. She is lacking in hp but had a solid Dex, Con, and Int. It fits her background as well.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by AleBelly »

Wenyld has some quality stats! This also reminds me that you can also revisit alignment when hitting level 1, choosing a different one if necessary. This is to reflect the PCs figuring out who they really are through adventuring. Lawful thieves are typically part of organized guilds, neutrals are swindlers/pickpockets/burglars and chaotic thieves tend towards the assassin role. This is reflected in the different bonuses thieves get for each skill.

Never played a thief in DCC, but always thought it would be fun!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Due to his stats, I was also thinking Thief for Palmero.

Unless you see a better avenue for him?
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

due to still going through the meat grinder I will hold off on thinking on what I would want to be as a level 1 until I see what I have left to work with :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by AleBelly »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:05 pm Due to his stats, I was also thinking Thief for Palmero.

Unless you see a better avenue for him?
His stats would lend themselves well to thief or cleric, in my opinion. He would get +2 on spell checks due to personality. But would also make a nimble thief! So I think it all comes down to what you want to play...
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by AleBelly »

CAI4 is at work, so I'll give an update on his characters in case others are wondering.

Radahn has opted to become a warrior. Warriors get a d12 for HP rolls, and he rolled a 12! Radahn is a Level 1 warrior with 13hp. Beefy boy.

Bilberta advances as a level 1 dwarf. Dwarves get a d10 for HP rolls at each level, and he rolled a 5. Per house rules, after the HP roll a player can opt to either 1) keep that roll for their PC, 2) take half the hit die (5 hp in this case), or 3) reroll...but the results hold no matter what. CAI4 opted to reroll since Bilberta has a -2hp stamina modifier (yuck). He rerolled, and got a 4. So Bilberta is a level 1 dwarf with 3 hp! :lol:
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

I played Xerxes in cleric fashion and Zygmund as a mage, so will carry on with those career paths.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by AleBelly »

Sounds good...both need to determine if they will keep their alignment and Xerxes needs to pick a god to serve. Since he is Lawful Ulesh makes the most sense. If Xerxes wishes to be neutral instead (based on his interaction with the Ildavir statue) we can play that as well and he can be a servant of her. But given he benefited from divine intervention he would need to pick one of the two as that's all he would have known at this point...does this make sense?
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Stirling »

I think he called primarily upon Ulesh in play, so will stick with that deity.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”