Character Generation

sulldawga
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#81 Post by Enoch »

sulldawga wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:50 pm Not to continue to harp on the players' choices for their PCs but I noticed that none of you currently have a ranged attack. Just FYI.
I picked up some daggers for throwing, which lets me use my Strength. I figured with no other melee Warriors it was probably best to go melee rather than ranged.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Marullus »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:19 am Kaithar the unhoused

Class: Adventurer: Expert (Wise) / Mage (Skinshifter)
Background: wanderer
STR: 10
DEX: 16 (+1)
CON: 10
INT: 14 (+1)
WIS: 10
CHA: 6 (-1)

Skills:
exert 0
know 0
magic 0
notice 1
sneak 0
stab 0
survive 1
work 0

Languages:
common / native
trade cant
Angnir runes

Combat:
Base Attack Bonus: +0
Hit Points: 6
Armor Class: 11

Weapons:
dagger +1 d4+1 1sh/AC15
claw blades +1 d6+1 2sh/AC 13
heavy spear 0 d20 2sh/AC15

Saves:
Physical: 15
Evasion: 14
Mental: 15
Luck: 15

Forms:
- black mountain lion / puma

Foci:
Amundi Godblood Walk Like Wind - +10move, vertical movement, exert bonus

Arts:
change form - shapeshift into black mountain lion/puma, +10' move quadraped
feline leap - jump full movement horizontal as move action, 1/2 vertical
skilled - +3 skill points - magic, notice, sneak

Equipment:
Readied
common clothes, boots
healer's pouch enc1
backpack

Stowed
waterskin enc1
tinderbox
rations 1 week enc4
10 sheets paper
writing kit enc1

43sp

char gen

rolls
abilities hp
background wealth survive [3x nulled] work 0 +2 physical

Wise / Skinshifter - wanderer background

st 10 dx 16 +1 cn 10 in 14 +1 ws 10 ch 6 -1
exert 0 [foci]
magic 0 [art]
notice 1 [art] background from rolled 3rd survive
sneak 0 [art]
stab 0 [hobby]
survive 1 [skinwalker, wanderer, background roll] => shift rolled survive to notice
work 0 [background roll]
evasion 14 mental 15 physical 15 luck 15
AC 11 HP 6 System strain BAB 0

foci - Amundi Godblood Walk Like Wind - +10move, vertical movement, exert bonus

native language, trade cant, +1

arts
change form - shapeshift into black mountain lion/puma, +10' move quadraped
deline leap - jump full movement horizontal as move action, 1/2 vertical
skilled - +3 skill points - magic, notice, sneak

dagger +1 d4+1 1sh/AC15
claw blades +1 d6+1 2sh/AC 13
heavy spear 0 d20 2sh/AC15

common clothes, boots
healer's pouch
backpack

waterskin
tinderbox
rations 1 week
10 sheets paper
writing kit
43sp

As a preteen, Kaithar came wandering into the area west of Ket on the opposite banks of the Moche River. Vorthon the hermit [hedge wizard] took the boy in and raised him on the edge of the community. Kaithar served as an assistant rather than as an apprentice as Vorthon always suspected that the lad would not remain in Ket and waited for the day the boy-man would leave.

Kaithar is taking advantage of the push into the western lands to retrace his unremembered journey to Ket as a boy. He hopes to discover where he came from and who he is.

Vorthon the hedge wizard performs the old dances and rituals. He prepares medicinal herbs and potions. He is also a skilled tattooist.

Kaithar has a stocky frame, curly black hair, a long pointed black beard, and unusually bright green eyes. His arms and legs are covered in light scar marks. He wears muted pastoral colored clothing. His speech is sparse, but deliberate. He takes vigorous but planned movements.

== notes ==

wanderer survive 0 free, growth +2 physical, survive. work
expert / mage bab 0
foci - Amundi Godblood Walk Like Wind - +10' move, move up/down vertical surfaces
hobby skill - stab 0
funds 110sp
Ac dex +1
saves ev 14 me 15 ph 15 lk 15
native lang, trade cant, +1

@cybersavant -
You might want to consider just the normal Partial Expert class unstead of Wise. You only used the Wise to get 3 skill points and gave up an extra Focus (which gives a skill point) and the Expert ability to get a skill point every level in order to do it. You also are completely unable to fight in your skinchanger form of Puma, because you don't have the Punch skill for unarmed combat, it doesn't have hands and can't use stab, and your unarmed combat only does your normal unarmed damage (1d2).
If you went to Partial Expert, you would get another focus, but lose two of the three skill points from Wise (magic, notice, sneak). If you picked Unarmed Combatant, you would get Punch-0 as a skill, and it would raise your Puma and unarmed damage to 1d6 (1d8 if you raise it to Punch-1) and at Punch-1 your Puma will do shock. (Your Walk like the Wind is an Expert focus pick already, so you can use your second Focus pick for any, to include Unarmed Combatant as a combat focus... you could move your Free Pick of Stab-0 to one of your lost skills or move it here for the Punch-1 benefits which apply to both human and puma forms.)

In short:

Right now your Puma form has BAB +1 unskilled punch -2 Dex +1
- Puma bite: +0 to hit, 1d2+1 damage, no shock

If you switch to Partial Expert. Take Unarmed Combatant, and switch Stab to Punch, you get:
- Puma Bite: +3 to hit, 1d8+2 / 3 Shock AC 15
...as a human he would be a ferocious Brawler when put in a corner and almost as good (and better than he was with your chosen Stab weapons)
- Human Strikes: +2 to hit, 1d8+2 / 3 Shock AC 15

In addition you would (keep sneak-0, i assume), drop Magic-0 and lower Notice-1 to Notice-0, both of which you can get back at level 2.

...you are our party's main guy for Survival and probably notice. And since you are focused on moving as a Puma I assume you want sneak. Gars will be focused on Magic as a skill so we have that, but I am curious that you took knowledge of dwarf runes (Angnir) from your "Know" - that's an interesting implication from your lost past and I have intentionally not had Gars start with that language to let you shine there. [With him having Know and Amnesia as well as a mysterious affinity for mythic dwarf inscription, this can be a useful mechanic - your successes on Int+Know checks become a prompt for the GM to give you knowledge that you now 'remember' as you recover memories in line with your secret past.]
(Alternatively, you can ask the GM to let you not be well-studied and swap Know-0 to get back Notice-1, if that fits your concept better as a naive peasant boy on his Coming of Age quest.)
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by sulldawga »

Replying to Urson, who PM'd me his PC.

You can change one attribute score to a 14. So you can bring that Charisma score up or possibly move the 10 in Strength to Charisma and put the 14 in Strength. You don't have a melee build, per se, but a high Strength also lets you carry more.

You also get a free Skill in anything. As a Warrior, it may be in your best interest to take Stab-0. Since you have Die Hard, you are definitely going to have the most Hit Points of any PC in the group and they're going to want to stick you up front in any marching order.

Otherwise, Mikhail looks good! Please post him in the Player Characters thread.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Urson »

OK, noted.
The changes have been made.
FA FO
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Marullus »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 am I am sure there is some logic to how Crawford designed the rules. They are just not obvious to me at this point. I think the biggest problem I have is that the contents of the Gear Bundles are opaque.

However, the rules say right there "the options below cover all the non-weapon, non-armor gear expected of a particular role" and "the specific contents of each bundle are as broad as the GM finds reasonable for the role". So it gives me liberty to make up my own bundle.

I think a Wilderness Travel Gear bundle would contain a one man tent, a bedroll, a blanket, cooking utensils, a small hammer, a shovel, a waterskin, and a tinder box.

I am also going to make two House Rules. One is that every new PC gets the max 180 sp to start and the other is that a Wilderness Travel Gear bundle is only 40 sp. Encumbrance remains the same (5 enc).
Okay, redoing Gear. 180sp instead of a package.

Wilderness Bundle - 40sp
War Robe - 50sp
Metal Shield - 20sp
Staff (long-handled shovel) - 1sp
Rations, 1 week - 5sp
Lantern - 10sp
3 pints oil - 3sp
Writing Kit - 3sp
20 sheets of paper - 2sp
Cartographer's tools (in-game purchase) - 15sp
Mule - 30sp
1 16 sp remaining

Readied items (5 / 6)
  • Reinforced Longcoat (war robe, AC 14) (3)
  • Small Shield (+1 AC when wearing armor) (1)
  • Long-handled Shovel (1)
Stowed items (Backpack) (5 / 12)
  • Lantern, Tinderbox (1)
  • 3 Flasks of Oil - (1)
  • Waterskin, 1 gallon (1)
  • Writing Kit & 20 sheets of paper - (1)
  • Cartographer Tools - (1)
  • 1 silver piece

Stowed on Belegroc the Mule (9/15)
  • Rations, 1 week - (4)
  • Wilderness Bundle (5)
    • one man tent
    • a bedroll
    • a blanket
    • cooking utensils
    • a small hammer
    • a shovel
    • a waterskin
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by The_Wanderer »

Hey everybody - I'm finally getting my act around to joining this game.
Name: Sleepy
Rolling Attributes: [3d6]=4 [3d6]=9 [3d6]=10 [3d6]=13 [3d6]=13 [3d6]=5
Let's go with:
Strength 13
Dexterity 14 (+1)
Constitution 9
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 5(-1)
Charisma 13

Background: [1d20]=7
Laborer: Work-0

Additional Skills:
Growth: [1d6]=3
+1 Stat = Charisma is now 14
Learning: [1d8]=6
Exert-0
Learning: [1d8]=4
Convince-0

Class: Expert
Masterful Expertise & Quick Learner

Foci:
Choice: Deadeye (Shoot-0)
Non-Combat: Connected (Connect-0)

Outside Interest Skill:
Notice-0

Hit points:
[1d6]=2

Equipment Package: Archer
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by sulldawga »

Looks good to me.

I did say in the Interest Check thread that if you rolled exceptionally poorly, I would allow you to change two rolls to 14s. So if you want to change that 5 to a 14, I am ok with it.

You definitely leaned into the random chargen! Note that everyone gets full HP at level 1.

Go ahead and level your PC up to level 2 and then I will insert you into the game!
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by sulldawga »

Note that, after the fact, I allowed everyone to have the full 180 sp to start with, as I was expecting everyone to equip their PC for wilderness adventure a little earlier in life than the rules anticipated.

See the House Rules thread for pricing on things like the Wilderness Travel gear bundle.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by The_Wanderer »

Got it...This should be corrected then for the low roll, max HP at level 1, and now leveled to 2

Class: Expert, Level 2
Background: Laborer
STR: 13 (+0)
DEX: 14 (+1)
CON: 9 (+0)
INT: 10 (+1)
WIS: 14 (+1)
CHA: 14 (+1)

Skills:
Connect-1
Convince-0
Exert-0
Notice-0
Shoot-0
Sneak-0
Work-0

Languages:
Common

Combat:
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Hit Points: 12 / 12
Armor Class: 13

Weapons:
Large Bow
Hand Axe
Dagger

Saves:
Physical: 14
Evasion: 13
Mental: 13
Luck: 14

Foci:
Deadeye: You have a gift with ranged weapons. While this talent most commonly applies to bows, it is also applicable to thrown weapons or other ranged weapons that can be used with the Shoot skill. For thrown weapons, you can’t use the benefits of the Armsmaster Focus at the same time as Deadeye.
  • Level 1: Gain Shoot as a bonus skill. You can Ready a Stowed ranged weapon as an Instant action. You may use a bow or two-handed ranged weapon even when an enemy is within melee range, albeit at a -4 hit penalty. You may add your Shoot skill level to a ranged weapon’s damage roll.
Connected: You’re remarkably gifted at making friends and forging ties with the people around you. Wherever you go, you always seem to know somebody useful to your ends.
  • Level 1: Gain Connect as a bonus skill. If you’ve spent at least a week in a not-entirely-hostile location, you’ll have built a web of contacts willing to do favors for you that are no more than mildly illegal. You can call on one favor per game day and the GM decides how far they’ll go for you.
Well Met: You have a striking ability to charm and pacify people and creatures you’ve just met. Once they get to know you, however, their opinions are more likely to be based on experience; this Focus works only once on a target.
  • Level 1: Reaction rolls made by those the party meets are given a +1 bonus so long as you are present, whether or not you do the talking. Even hostile encountered beings will usually give the party a round to parley before attacking unless they’re in ambush or have a clear reason for immediate violence.
Class Abilities:
Masterful Expertise: Once per scene, the Expert may reroll any non-combat skill check as an Instant action. This allows the Expert to make a roll and then immediately use this ability if the resulting total isn’t good enough to succeed. In cases where it matters, the better of the two rolls may be used.
Quick Learner: When you advance a character level, you gain an extra skill point which may only be spent on gaining or improving non-combat skills or raising attributes. You may save this point to spend later if you wish.

Equipment:
Readied items (- / 6)
Buff Coat (AC12) - 0 enc
Bow, Large - 2 enc
20 arrows & quiver - 1 enc
Dagger - 1 enc
Hand Axe - 1 enc

Stowed (- / 13)
Backpack - 1 enc
Cooking utensils - 1 enc
1 week of rations - 4 enc
Waterskin - 1 enc
Tinder box - 0 enc
Torches x 3 - 1 enc

Coinage: 20 silver pieces
Level 2:
HP:
Skills Points Sneak-0, Connect-1, 1 point saved
Focus: Well Met Level 1
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by sulldawga »

I'll have a look at it this weekend but all looks good. I will find a way to work your PC into the game as soon as I can.
hedonismbot
Strider
Strider

#92 Post by hedonismbot »

Hi all,

I think I've got a good grounding on the game. I thought I'd roll stats to see if there was something that jumped out as a possible character class, but they were all very middling! Which means I can do kind of ok at a few things.

It looks like we have 4 characters so far, with these roles:

Ciarra - Healer/Warrior
Gars - Warrior/Accursed
Lavin - full Warrior
Sleepy - Expert Ranger

Is there anything missing that folks think would add to the party? I'm thinking maybe a full caster might help, or maybe an Expert to cover a skill gap or two?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

Any full caster would be my suggestion. We originally built around a Nobleman Necromancer; when he dropped it created a hole.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rex »

Run what you will enjoy running.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Marullus »

....also true. :)
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by The_Wanderer »

hedonismbot wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:03 am ...Sleepy - Expert Ranger
Ranger is a VERY generous description of Sleepy. He's just a real people person...who carries a bow.

Welcome to the game!
hedonismbot
Strider
Strider

#97 Post by hedonismbot »

Ok, here's a draft of Daravek the Marked, Itinerant High Mage (he/him). Who says being really average can't be a character concept? :D

I've got him at Level 1 right now, I wasn't sure if I should roll him to Level 2 or not. Please all take a look and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. I can't believe I got Connect twice on the Scholar growth table...
Background: Scholar (Chosen)

Growth x3
- Free Skill: Know-0
- Connect - 0
- Connect - 1
- +2 Mental (WIS)

Character history:
Daravek was the fifth son to a minor noble family to the east, and as such did not have much in the way of inheritance or prospects of power. His family decided that, since he was reasonably bright, he might have luck in one of the colleges of High Magic, where he might rise to be magical advisor to a lord or member of a powerful court.

While adequate at his studies, the consensus from his tutors was that he was "unremarkable". One area where he surpassed his classmates, however, was in his willingness to risk himself for knowledge, power, or even just fleeting social clout. As has often been the case with adolescents with such a penchant, he got himself into trouble. And trouble with High Magic is often extremely dangerous. A particular incident led to his forehead being permanently scarred by an arcane mark, and after the foul creatures and blasphemous energies were purged from the dormitory, his reputation suffered a similarly indelible mark.

Upon graduation, his prospects were slim and he was very nearly doomed to a lifetime of maintaining and re-transcribing the documents in the non-dangerous wings of the arcane libraries. It was very fortunate that it was around this time that the rumours of the westward expansion were passing through. Here was an opportunity to leverage risk for reward, and daring for reputation!
Class: High Mage

Attributes:

Str: 8 (-1)
Dex: 12 (+0)
Con: 11 (+0)
Int: 14 (+1) -- swapped for the 7 with the free 14
Wis: 14 (+1) -- 12 +2 from Growth Table
Cha: 11 (+0)

HP: 5
Attack bonus: +0

Skills:
- Know-0 (from Scholar)
- Connect-1 (from Growth)
- Magic-1 (from Mage, boost from Free Skill Pick)

Foci
Impervious Defense-- 1 Any from Mage Class

Arts
- Retain Sorcery-- Any two from High Mage
- Inexorable Effect
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

I think that's fantastic! :)

If you want to be previously-acquainted with Gars, I am good with it. You could have been invited along and are just late arriving. (Gars is ingratiating and certainly strove to be in magical and knowledgeable circles, but likely had a similarly-dubious reputation with your school's leadership as well, given that his own magic is limited and inherited (i.e. multi-generational warlock) and not academically learned as they would respect.

You get to buy gear with a full 180gp.

GM will say if you get to be Level 2 (but he let Sleepy level up, so I would assume).
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by sulldawga »

Yes, level him up to 2!

We do full re-rolls of HP. If you get a number lower than before, add 1 to your previous total instead.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

I hadn't looked at the Arts in a long time. Since the GM is leaning into the Privation rules, this one is both really amusing for roleplay and also appropriate. 😄
Wizard’s Grandeur: Commit Effort as an On Turn ac-
tion. As long as it remains Committed, you will not
become dirty, sweaty, stained, or rumpled regard-
less of the circumstances. Noxious substances will
slide off you without staining and you will remain
comfortable regardless of your attire in any normal
climate. You may sleep comfortably without shelter
or bedding as per the privation rules on page 51.

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”