Group 1: OOC I

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#61 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:It's a lot easier to die in 5e when the DM has enemies target downed characters.
I'm not complaining -- 5e is built to accommodate fun -- but dying is difficult. Especially compared to previous editions. The instant two failed death saves when being struck while already down is when things do get interesting.

As a DM, I am all for monsters targeting easier targets (e.g. a squishy mage instead of a fighter wearing chain mail), but I don't think I would have a monster target a downed player unless it made sense for them to do so.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:it's actually easier than you might think try rolling a 1 on a death save then 2 passing rolls then the last roll is under what you need 3 fails dead. Saw it almost did it myself.
The fact that you stop at zero hit points and don't get into negatives; and the fact that you get chance after chance to make death saving throws is proof that the edition is built to steer characters away from death.

Is it possible? Absolutely.

But, damn, it is not easy. My wizard (who died, but was revived) was only the second character death I've seen in 5e -- ever (and he didn't even die-die). Oh, wait -- the third character. I forgot one.

But, I've been playing my wizard so aggressively, and while he goes down a lot, there is always someone in the party able to stabilize him and prevent him from truly dying. We're approaching the final showdown in Princes of the Apocalypse soon, which will probably be genuinely difficult, but I truly think the group will survive.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I'm not saying characters can't die, just that it takes more time/ effort/ negligence than early editions.
This.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by drpete »

Worked out the math, and it's pretty close to a 3/5 chance that you'll make it through the death saving throw gauntlet with no intervention... roughly 2/5 die, 2/5 stabilize, and 1/5 recover to 1 hp.

Chance of Dying/ Stabilizing/ Recovering
Round 1: 0%/0%/5%
Round 2: 4.3%/0%/9.8%
Round 3: 15.7%/12.5%/14.1%
Round 4: 29.7%/29.4%/16.9
Round 5: 40.5%/41.4%/18.1%
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

Computer +1 wrote:Urth... casts Hellish Rebuke... Do i roll for this or is just a save from whom I am aiming at?
Okay, I just read the spell.
Hellish Rebuke
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take in response to being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see

Range: 60 feet

Components: V, S

Duration: Instantaneous

You point your finger, and the creature that damaged you is momentarily surrounded by hellish flames. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Hellish Rebuke is actually a reaction spell, which is triggered in response to being damaged -- so, that is the only time it can be cast, and not part of your normal action on your turn.

So, you can make any other action on your turn (e.g. attack with your mace, dagger(s), Eldritch Blast cantrip, etc...) as your action, and also declare that you want to cast Hellish Rebuke if you get damaged.

---

This is actually a helpful scenario, which is why I'm posting this response in the main OOC threat, because the two spells in question function differently:
  • Attack: For Eldritch Blast, you'd make an attack roll using your spell attack modifier (+5). Like any other attack (e.g. melee, ranged), a miss is a miss, so you'll only do damage if your attack roll results in a hit.
  • Saving Throw: For Hellish Rebuke, you don't actually make an attack roll; instead, your target will make a save against your spell casting DC (13) and the spell description will define what happens on a successful or missed save (e.g. full or half damage).

Make sense?
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Computer +1 »

Thank you, yes that makes complete sense!

I would like to amend my spell choice to Eldritch Blast instead!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:If a character is healed...

Before their turn in initiative order, they can act as normal, starting from prone...

After their turn in initiative order, they do a death save, but otherwise lose their turn.

Is this right?
It's a good question, probably best illustrated with examples.

Before Turn
  • The monster acts first, hitting a PC and dropping them to 0 hit points;
  • A party cleric acts next, healing the PC for 6 hit points;
  • On the PCs turn, because they have positive hit points, they are free to take their complete Turn as normal. However, you do begin your turn Prone
    • Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of movement equal to half your speed.
    • To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation. Every foot of movement while crawling costs 1 extra foot.

After Turn
  • The monster acts first, hitting a PC and dropping them to 0 hit points;
  • At the start of the PCs turn, because they have 0 hit points, they need to make a death saving throw.
    • If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail.
      • When you make a death saving throw and roll a 1 on the d20, it counts as two failures.
      • If you roll a 20 on the d20, you regain 1 hit point.
        • * Note: Because this save takes place at the beginning of your turn, if you roll a 20 and regain 1 hit point, you can still take their complete Turn. However, you do begin your turn Prone.
          • Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of movement equal to half your speed.
          • To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation. Every foot of movement while crawling costs 1 extra foot.
  • Assuming the PC is still down, the party cleric acts next and healing the PC for 6 hit points:
    • The PC is healed and can stop making death saving throws. However, because their turn has passed, they will not be able to act again until the start of their next turn (assuming they still have positive hit points; otherwise, this process repeats).

Make sense?

If not, feel free to ask any questions.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Level 2

#68 Post by dmw71 »

I have created a new 'Experience Points' topic where I will track the current XP totals for each character.

While there's still a bit of role-playing to do in each group, every character should now have 300xp, which is enough for 2nd level!

Congratulations!

See: Character Advancement
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ravenn4544 »

Sweet!

Question :)
Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn.
Does this mean a sorceror can create a spell slot and cast that spell on the same turn? or create the slot then cast the spell the next turn?

thanks!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Pulpatoon »

Nice! The short hop from 1st to 2nd is something I really like about 5e.

I don't see where players can edit their XP on D&D Beyond. Is that function reserved for the DM?
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#71 Post by GreyWolfVT »

When viewing your character it is under the name you click the drop down and select manage xp
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.27 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by drpete »

Cool :)

So how would you like us to handle hp advancement? The fixed step, roll...? If we're rolling, are we doing it here?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

How else would you do it? I already updated mine, but can switch it if I did it wrong.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

I just found the fixed step rule, basically you take the average every time. Just let me know if that is what we are doing since I rolled for it.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#75 Post by Scott308 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Sweet!

Question :)
Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn.
Does this mean a sorceror can create a spell slot and cast that spell on the same turn? or create the slot then cast the spell the next turn?

thanks!
As it is a bonus action, you can use your bonus action to convert sorcery points and then cast the spell in the created spot that same turn.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote: Does this mean a sorceror can create a spell slot and cast that spell on the same turn? or create the slot then cast the spell the next turn?
Scott took care of this one.
Pulpatoon wrote:I don't see where players can edit their XP on D&D Beyond. Is that function reserved for the DM?
Ed took care of this one.

But, if anyone still has any questions or is unsure about something, definitely feel free to ask.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:So how would you like us to handle hp advancement? The fixed step, roll...? If we're rolling, are we doing it here?
I do want to try having player's roll for new hit points once their character advances a level. Yes, we'll use the roller here -- just post the link to your roll here in the OOC thread, or in your private forum. Either way.

(Just pay attention to the hit die for your class (especially if you're new to 5e) since there are differences from previous editions.)

If anyone rolls a 1, I will allow one re-roll (but this second roll must be kept).
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by drpete »

Here we go... I included my con bonus & lvl 1 hp so the result is new total hp.

HP Roll: [1d8+14] = 6+14 = 20
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:Here we go... I included my con bonus & lvl 1 hp so the result is new total hp.

HP Roll: [1d8+14] = 6+14 = 20
Interesting approach -- but, cool!

Nice roll. 20 hit points at 2nd level for a rogue is very solid!
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan