OOC - Welcome and Chat

atpollard
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC - Welcome and Chat

#61 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote:Regarding all this talk of blade quality and clothes by social rank and so on: my character didn't get any money from his mustering-out benefit. So he's penniless, which seems fine for a child of privilege setting out to prove himself.

But, how literally penniless is he? I'd like to think he's clothed and has a few non-consequential possessions (some books, his manuscript-in-progress, a cameo of his mother, etc.).
An earlier post said "Cr 500 x Soc", to the Tech Level of your home area.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ah! Missed that, or misread that. Thanks!
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by atpollard »

AsenRG wrote:What kind of a blade did Remy get from his benefits roll? Is it field grade as indicated by his social status?
So I wanted to give this some thought before answering. Here is an answer that applies to all muster weapon benefits ...

Enlisted men employ government issued “Field Grade” weapons in their normal duties.
Officers employ government issued “Standard Grade” weapons in their normal duties.

Upon retirement with less than 3 terms, it is customary to present certain individuals with their service weapons upon retirement (Field Grade for enlisted, Standard Grade for Officers). Such a weapon indicates no more and no less than that you served well and left the service in good standing.

Those retiring from the service after 3 or more terms, may be presented with a higher quality ceremonial weapon in appreciation for your long service. (“Standard Grade” for enlisted men and “Premium Grade” for officers.

It is also possible for a high ranking officer (or a nobleman) to want to recognize an individual for some personal debt of honor or accomplishment and present them with a weapon appropriate to the SOC of the individual presenting the weapon in recognition.

Personally, I don’t care what Grade of weapon you have ... select whatever grade you choose. Just be prepared to explain WHY you have a weapon of that Grade. Is it your old service weapon? Is it a ceremonial weapon presented for long service? Were you recognized by someone of rank?

FYI: Whatever choice you make is fair game as a plot hook for the Referee.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by atpollard »

NOTICE:
I will be out of town for a week on vacation with the family. (no internet)
Looking forward to picking up after New Years.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#65 Post by AsenRG »

Merry Christmas to you all!
atpollard wrote:
AsenRG wrote:What kind of a blade did Remy get from his benefits roll? Is it field grade as indicated by his social status?
So I wanted to give this some thought before answering. Here is an answer that applies to all muster weapon benefits ...

Enlisted men employ government issued “Field Grade” weapons in their normal duties.
Officers employ government issued “Standard Grade” weapons in their normal duties.

Upon retirement with less than 3 terms, it is customary to present certain individuals with their service weapons upon retirement (Field Grade for enlisted, Standard Grade for Officers). Such a weapon indicates no more and no less than that you served well and left the service in good standing.

Those retiring from the service after 3 or more terms, may be presented with a higher quality ceremonial weapon in appreciation for your long service. (“Standard Grade” for enlisted men and “Premium Grade” for officers.

It is also possible for a high ranking officer (or a nobleman) to want to recognize an individual for some personal debt of honor or accomplishment and present them with a weapon appropriate to the SOC of the individual presenting the weapon in recognition.

Personally, I don’t care what Grade of weapon you have ... select whatever grade you choose. Just be prepared to explain WHY you have a weapon of that Grade. Is it your old service weapon? Is it a ceremonial weapon presented for long service? Were you recognized by someone of rank?

FYI: Whatever choice you make is fair game as a plot hook for the Referee.
OK, sounds fair,
And I always assume that my choices are fair game as plot hooks for the Referee, so no issues there.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Let the game begin

#66 Post by atpollard »

“Perfection is the enemy of good enough.”

I want to finish designing the Steamships.
I want to add more Equipment to the list of what Characters can purchase.
I want to fine tune the territorial boundaries on the large scale map.
I want to create a detailed local map to hand out.
I want to spend more time answering questions about the Character’s backgrounds.

If I wait until everything is PERFECT to start the game, then it will never get started. Since I promised to start in the first week of January, it is my pleasure to announce that preparations for play are “GOOD ENOUGH”.

Let the game begin!

What the PLAYERS need to know:

I will begin by creating two different starting locations. In each location, a variety of events will already be in motion. The CHARACTERS may simply jump into any part of either location and begin to interact. There are no restrictions on when or where a character enters the game.

For example, the first location will involve a large ship heading for a small port in a storm with small boats rushing out to meet it. A CHARACTER could begin the adventure on the ship, or on one of the boats heading out to meet it, or standing on the shore watching, or sleeping in your own boat at the dock and awoken by the commotion. Where and how you make an entrance is up to you.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by ffilz »

Cool, sounds fun. I will await the two starting locations and decide how to jump in.

As far as gear, I don't see myself as having that much beyond what I've noted so far (once we have more prices I can figure out how much cash Samuel has left).

This game should be less of a gear head game than far future Traveller (and I've come to appreciate Classic Traveller for it's minimalist approach to gear).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Inferno »

Hi,
In stat blocks like this: 6AAB83, what do the letters mean? Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Leitz »

Inferno wrote:Hi,
In stat blocks like this: 6AAB83, what do the letters mean? Thanks.
Hexadecimal notation; "A" is 10, "B" is 11, etc. Stats usually go from a low of 2 to a high of "F" (15).
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Inferno »

Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm starting to feel lonely in the bar scene. Everyone seems to be more interested in drowning. :lol:
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by atpollard »

Monsieur Rose wrote:I'm starting to feel lonely in the bar scene. Everyone seems to be more interested in drowning. :lol:
If anyone would prefer a more URBAN starting point, I have no objection to a player changing their starting location and joining you in the Bar ...

... or if you decide you want a more RURAL starting point, you can switch to the dock/ship.

Once I respond (probably Monday), both locations should be too busy for anyone to feel lonely.
[you could always recruit more players for the Bar from Unseen Servant in general.]
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by AsenRG »

I hope I'd manage a Monday post before you.

ETA: And I managed it, it seems! Remy shows his flair for the dramatic... 8-)

Now, Monsieur Rose, you just need to hire a well-known local hunter, and you can choose how you want that confrontation to go :mrgreen: !

BTW, I'm in no hurry to get drowned, either. There's always time for that :twisted: !
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#74 Post by AsenRG »

I wonder when it would be a good time to give the sheriff a simple tip. He should check the purity of those coins, not their origins, IMO.
I mean, even if he is a pirate, he would have been unlikely to get newly minted coins;).
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Interesting. I'm hoping to get some of the coins for myself, and possibly make a new contact. Let's try and not entirely piss off the gambler. :lol:
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by AsenRG »

While I'm hoping to get the sheriff on our side. And of course, the gambler doesn't need to know it waz your streetwise guard that tipped the sheriff off.

Assuming I'm right to begin with, of course, but it looks highly probable.

And you can easily get some of his coins! He's a damn gambler, you are a nobleman. Just make sure to win a round, or rather don't make it hard to let you win, and then pay with your own coin.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Leitz »

Soo....knowing how far afield I can carry a story, how far afield can I take Diana? :)
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by atpollard »

Sorry for the light posting last week. I tried to explain how important Traveller is, but the millionaire owner of an auto dealership that was not being allowed to open his new service addition on schedule because if the nitpicking of an inspector felt that HIS problem should be MY problem.

Imagine ...

Worst of all, my employer actually AGREED with him. I suspect the seven figures of revenue that this client generates for the firm probably clouded my employers decision process. So rather than create an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved, I feigned shock and outrage at the actions of the inspector and had to spend a lot of time repeating the same questions and answers to all of the people that needed to be “kept in the loop”.

It seriously harshed my calm and interfered with my posting schedule.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote:Soo....knowing how far afield I can carry a story, how far afield can I take Diana? :)
Uhhh ... Diana is on a fishing boat, kilometers from port, slowly sailing back to the port with other refugees. Unless she plans on pirating the boat she is on, her influence on the universe seems rather limited at this particular moment.

Perhaps I overlooked something ... players are such unpredictable critters.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by AsenRG »

atpollard wrote:Sorry for the light posting last week. I tried to explain how important Traveller is, but the millionaire owner of an auto dealership that was not being allowed to open his new service addition on schedule because if the nitpicking of an inspector felt that HIS problem should be MY problem.

Imagine ...

Worst of all, my employer actually AGREED with him. I suspect the seven figures of revenue that this client generates for the firm probably clouded my employers decision process. So rather than create an uncomfortable situation for everyone involved, I feigned shock and outrage at the actions of the inspector and had to spend a lot of time repeating the same questions and answers to all of the people that needed to be “kept in the loop”.

It seriously harshed my calm and interfered with my posting schedule.
You have my sympathy.
Putting business before Traveller? The gall some people have!

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”