UE Issue #3: Smash and GRAB

gurusql
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: UE Issue #3: Smash and GRAB

#61 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oleander Pan

"Thanks, Chip. Just out of idle curiosity, how much discretion can you exercise over requests your co-workers make?"
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by gurusql »

CHiP

"I do have computational limits. So if there are multiple requests coming in at the same time, I do need to select the order I complete those tasks or if I should suspend certain activities for a period of time. To date, my 'co-workers' as you have used the term have not asked me to complete a task that is outside my skill set so I have not needed to deny any requests."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rex »

Azir

Azir leads Knight Light around, seeming to enjoy his company. She is not the most talkative person but seems to be genuinely friendly.

"Do you have any hobbies? I have a day job as a Currier, kind of boring but it keeps me active."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by gurusql »

Wind Dragon

"Eclipse, before our southern vacation you had talked about setting up a patrol schedule. With 6 of us in play how about a 12 hour window every third day or an 8 hour window every other day?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Azir

"Either works for me, but from a alertness perspective the longer you are "on duty" doing something the less alert you become. I once read that somewhere."
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:46 am Azir
"Do you have any hobbies? I have a day job as a Currier, kind of boring but it keeps me active."

"Sc..school, mostly. I might g..go to c..college, b..but I g..got b..behind."
Knight Light replied. "I like astronomy, b..but am not sure th..there are j..jobs for it. I sword fight, but j..just with sticks. How about you?"

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:46 am"Either works for me, but from a alertness perspective the longer you are "on duty" doing something the less alert you become. I once read that somewhere."
Knight Light nodded. "If I st..stay here I c..can b..be on whatever sch...schedule you need. I am out of sch..school for the summer."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rex »

Azir

"I have never tried stick fighting before, but I am pretty good unarmed, mostly just cause I am pretty tough. It might be fun to try stick fighting, at least I am unlikely to smash up the basement that way."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oleander Pan

"Ah, just my two cents, here, but it sounds like you guys are stretching things too thin. You got monitor duty shifts, and patrols, and some of you have day jobs, too? Between six bodies, one of whom is a minor? GOSH's hr department is gonna have a field day with this.

"Chip should be the bulwark of monitor duty, right? All we need to do is provide redundancy in case there's a breakdown, or Chip is targeted in some way. Can probably be done remotely, with this communicator things you got? Or, you know, get GOSH to hire someone that isn't pulling in hero-money to hang out and keep Chip company.

"If we're doing patrols, it should be two people, right? That's the way cops do it. And a patrol shouldn't be more than four hours, if we wanna have our heads in the game. With this small a crew, we can't cover much of the city, and we can't do it 24 hours a day seven days a week. Perhaps we should work with Chip to figure when and where patrols would be most effective, and focus our efforts then and there.

"Or... I dunno, firefighters don't drive around hoping they spot a fire. They focus on responding quickly and getting where they are needed as fast as possible. That seems like an issue for us. All I saw in that nice garage was a motorcycle. We got any other vehicles? Or are the bus lines in New Chicago just that good?

"We need something to get around in, and it would be great if it had a siren.

"Or, you know, whatever. I'm sure Agent McGinley have already worked all this sorta stuff out."
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse sighs

"Well, you've learned our secret. We're scarcely more experienced in heroing than you are, bad at organising and we have almost zero resources. It was a push to get CHiP and the security system, but they were essential along with the communicators. I think you're right about smaller shifts, more flexible. I'm self employed, so usually quite flexible, in some ways my job is just a cover for heroing. But currently I'm on a short contract for a few weeks that means I'm doing office hours, and I'm in hot water after we vanished for a few days. It sounds like something else we need to sit down and discuss and try and put a plan together and hopefully persuade GOSH to provide some transport. Me and Wind Dragon can't keep flying everyone around. CHiP might need an upgrade to, and I don't see why GOSH couldn't provide us with some junior agents to help, well we can ask."

IIRC we still have some points left to spend on the base, but vehicles turned out as prohibitively expensive.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rex »

Azir

"Yes resources have been and I think will continue to be an issue for a little longer. At least until we have proven our worth some more. I could quite my Currier job, it doesn't make me much money but is more a cover so I don't have to explain all this to my little brother."
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:22 pm Azir

"I have never tried stick fighting before, but I am pretty good unarmed, mostly just cause I am pretty tough. It might be fun to try stick fighting, at least I am unlikely to smash up the basement that way."
"I'm n..not really that t..tough, b..but I c..can show you a little. Maybe g..get you used t..to fighting against a sword?" Knight Light said. "How about a tr..trade? Will you show me how t..to frame a qu..question for the c..computer? I've never seen one for real."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Azir

"Sure, I just talk to CHIP like it is a person and he talks back to me. I don't know much about computers really. What would you like to ask it?"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse

"I'm the groups tech guy. If you want to learn about computer programming and electronics and stuff like that then I'm sure we can find some time over the summer."
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by VonAlric »

Dos Seso

Hearing the talk of the computer, Dos Seso perks up. "CHIP really is a marvel of a computer system, its ability to decipher our language to produce accurate results and also 'think ahead' for other logical items is something that we used to only read about in books or watch on TV. I like to think of CHIP as a more stationary, growing version of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider."

He scratches at his chin for a moment then addresses Knight Light directly. "I'm actually very curious about your sword's capability in relation to my 'Projected Self' capabilities. You could think of it as translucent images of myself that are layers over myself and themselves, gives me some protection from getting hit by an opponent. There would be some benefit to both of us. First, doing that would help me strengthen the protection and secondly, you could get used to the fact that you may have to strike at a villain to protect yourself and others and, not to be rude but, you don't quite seem like you have gone out and picked any fights on purpose. It is a bit of a mental hurdle to get over. Anyway, just putting that out there, there's no pressure on you to do anything you are not ready to do."

He looks to both of the newcomers. "There is one thing I would like to ask of you both and it is rather personal. As I mentioned, I can push my mind out and find other minds. One of the benefits of this is that I can connect to others and speak with them, telepathically. There are times that it is expedient or even safer for this type of communication rather than using comms. So, to help me get used to your minds, I am asking for your permission to scan and link to your minds so I can be familiar with how they feel to me, which then makes it easier for me to connect to you at any time that is becomes necessary. My only caution is that I don't know what sort of issues could occur with you, Mr. Pan. A bonobo brain and a wizard brain, isn't that how you put it? I don't know how everything would react but we could take precautions to limit the issues. Again, I am putting that out there and there is no pressure on either of you to do so. If you are curious about it, you can ask the other three members about their experiences."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by gurusql »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:05 pm Eclipse sighs

"Well, you've learned our secret. We're scarcely more experienced in heroing than you are, bad at organising and we have almost zero resources. It was a push to get CHiP and the security system, but they were essential along with the communicators. I think you're right about smaller shifts, more flexible. I'm self employed, so usually quite flexible, in some ways my job is just a cover for heroing. But currently I'm on a short contract for a few weeks that means I'm doing office hours, and I'm in hot water after we vanished for a few days. It sounds like something else we need to sit down and discuss and try and put a plan together and hopefully persuade GOSH to provide some transport. Me and Wind Dragon can't keep flying everyone around. CHiP might need an upgrade to, and I don't see why GOSH couldn't provide us with some junior agents to help, well we can ask."

IIRC we still have some points left to spend on the base, but vehicles turned out as prohibitively expensive.
First a HERO meta rule, if heroes want to use stuff it costs points.
To balance that out, GOSH "gave" to team the house and 40 points to spend (10 pts per initial member) to "come together as a team over the first 10 adventures".
  • The team invested a total of 20 pts into team communicators (5 points per initial member)
  • In addition, they invested 9 total points to get Closed-Circuit TV Security System for the Base, Base Comms, CHiP, and a Physics Lab (not yet realized)
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oleander Pan blanches at Dos Seso's request. "Ah, lessee. I hear what yer saying, and I see the benefit of it. But I'm not sure exactly what you'll uncork if you peep into my brain. See, I'm not alone up here," he taps the side of his head. "I got a lineage of wizards, going back to pretty much the dawn of time, subletting my skull. Mostly, it's their memories, but wizard memories are little more... er, independent than the normal kind, so sometimes it feels more like their ghosts, you know?

"What I'm saying is, yeah, if we're going to do it, we should definitely start out in controlled circumstances. Ah, fiddlesticks. Let's do it... but be careful."

There is no mechanical aspect to any of this, it's just background fluff.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#77 Post by VonAlric »

Dos Seso

"A lineage...... so there's a lot going on up there. How about we get everyone settled and such before you and I start that party, hmm? Maybe in the next day or two."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Leitz »

There are lots of conversations going on, and I've asked the DM for a little input before I reply to some of them. The fewer miss steaks...mz takes...miswhatever I make in sharing back-story the less confusing it'll be. :)

Knight Light listened to the talk of patrols, and coverage, and then when there was a lull, he grinned, "My c..cover is an intern, and I c..can use the excuse t..to n..not g..go t..to b..bed early."

"B..but there is another p..problem. If we t..travel in p..pairs we either g..go in uniform or we see each other as we are. The first d..draws attention and the second g..gives us our secret identities. I will g..go with however the t..team decides." He paused, and looked at Azir. The tips of his ears turned red. "Except you. I mean, n..not in uniform. If my g..girlfriend saw me with a c..cute g..girl I wouldn't last long."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oleander

"Right. Right, right, right. I keep forgetting about your identity issues, since it's kinda a non-issue for me. Slapping on a pair of glasses and some brill creme won't make people think I'm some different talking bonobo.

"But we should patrol in our hero identities, shouldn't we? They're at least as much about maintaining a visible presence as they are happening to be on the scene as something is developing."
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Leitz »

Knight Light nodded as Oleander spoke. "It also means we c..could b..be t..targeted b..before we kn..knew they were c..coming. If we k..keep the same routes, habit c..can k..kill us. They hide and it makes it harder for us, we c..can return the favor."

He turned to Eclipse and added, "B..but we also st..start right, and g..get just what we n..need. Other t..teams d..did the same, I b..bet. How we d..do it will show who we are."

Return to “United Earth (Champions 5th Edition (HERO))”