BX OOC I

dmw71
Thofed
Strider
Strider

Re: OOC I

#61 Post by Thofed »

Do we need to decide now? With PbP are we going to hit any level limits in the foreseeable future?

EDIT: I guess some people may feel cheated if there is a change
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

Thofed wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:03 pm Do we need to decide now?
Not this second, no. But before the game begins (as the corresponding human racial abilities would involve character generation steps).
Thofed wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:03 pmWith PbP are we going to hit any level limits in the foreseeable future?
Most assuredly, no. :lol:

Actually, let's just lift the level limits and add the human racial abilities. Why not? I thought the human abilities were kind of cool, so let's do it.

Done deal.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

Another potential home rule question:

Do we want to allow the 'Re-Rolling 1s and 2s (Optional Rule)' rule?
Re-Rolling 1s and 2s (Optional Rule) wrote: If your roll for hit points comes up 1 or 2 (before applying any CON modifier), the referee may allow you to re-roll. This is in order to increase the survivability of 1st level PCs.
If so, it would be for 1st level only. And there would only be one re-roll; you'll keep your highest result from the two tries regardless (in case you re-roll a '2' on your first roll and get a '1' on your second).
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Lance »

It's not max hp at first level, but I like it :)
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:18 pm Another potential home rule question:

Do we want to allow the 'Re-Rolling 1s and 2s (Optional Rule)' rule?
Re-Rolling 1s and 2s (Optional Rule) wrote: If your roll for hit points comes up 1 or 2 (before applying any CON modifier), the referee may allow you to re-roll. This is in order to increase the survivability of 1st level PCs.
If so, it would be for 1st level only. And there would only be one re-roll; you'll keep your highest result from the two tries regardless (in case you re-roll a '2' on your first roll and get a '1' on your second).
All of the above sounds good (as well as lifting the racial limits and allowing the human bonuses. I tend to like racial limits, but in a pbp game they are less necessary). Rerolling 1s and 2s for hit points at 1st level is fine as well.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

Lance wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:19 pm It's not max hp at first level --
Nope. I still love the idea of a 1 hp character (which will still be possible, though unlikely). :lol:

A character like that would obviously be fragile, and would almost force the player to be creative with their role-playing. Could be fun.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by dmw71 »

Lance wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:19 pmIt's not max hp at first level, but I like it.
thirdkingdom wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 pmRerolling 1s and 2s for hit points at 1st level is fine as well.
This is good enough for me.

Consider this rule official, too.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

I am going to slowly start building out the 'House Rules' for this game, here.

Feel free to track its progress as I will be updating it frequently.

It is a locked topic, on purpose. If you have any questions, or spot any errors, or if anything is unclear, you should still be able to quote from it any copy it into here. Or, if you can't quote, still respond in here and just make it obvious what point you're addressing.

It's looking like it will be an early next week launch, but maybe this weekend if I dedicate some time to it. Almost certainly not tonight, though.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rex »

Looking good to me so far. Just waiting for the rolling and crying!
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#70 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 am Looking good to me so far. Just waiting for the rolling and crying!
that makes 2 of us. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by Zeromancer »

Okay, here's my concept... a dwarven warlock who fires arcane bolts from his staff axe!

Oh wait, we're NOT playing a modern TTFRPG. Probably going with a dwarven or deurgar fighter. I'm totally open to having other dwarves alongside, perhaps even from the same clan.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

No concept for me before I roll.

Dave, where did you get the book? Did you order it from the necrotic gnomes website?
Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by Zeromancer »

As long as I hit the Strength minimum, I"m fine. If some of the other stats don't min/max him perfectly, I won't worry about it 3d6 in order, let's go.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:38 pm Dave, where did you get the book? Did you order it from the necrotic gnomes website?
Necrotic Gnome, apparently, is located in Europe (the U.K., maybe?), so I ordered my print copy from Exalted Funeral, their U.S. distributor:
Exalted Funeral.jpg
Exalted Funeral.jpg (90.87 KiB) Viewed 17714 times

Print copies of almost everything are frustratingly out of stock. I did manage to purchase the Classic Fantasy rules (which came with the PDF), but I purchased my Advanced Fantasy books in PDF form from DriveThruRPG (knowing that I'll get the PDF again for free when I purchase the print copies from Necrotic Gnome (via Exalted Funeral) directly -- I just got impatient).

The good news is, they (Necrotic Gnome) are currently busy fulfilling their Kickstarter pledges, which will hopefully be completed soon. Once they're all fulfilled, they'll resume stocking their titles for purchase to the general public. (I have email notifications set up for all their "Advanced Fantasy" titles, so I'm impatiently waiting... along with a lot of other people). :lol:
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by dmw71 »

Zeromancer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:50 pm As long as I hit the Strength minimum, I"m fine.
FYI... Strength (and/or Charisma) are the two stats that offer you the best chance at getting a decent roll.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Zeromancer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:50 pm As long as I hit the Strength minimum, I"m fine.
FYI... Strength (and/or Charisma) are the two stats that offer you the best chance at getting a decent roll.
I maintain that Charisma is the most important score in an old-school game.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm I maintain that Charisma is the most important score in an old-school game.
It might very well be, depending. If a character is in "attack everything on sight..." mode, maybe not? If, however, there are any plans for diplomacy, or negotiations... then, yes, definitely.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Lance »

Well in an old school game "hire everyone" is the first order of business :D
Thofed
Strider
Strider

#79 Post by Thofed »

We roll now? :)
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by VonAlric »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:52 pm It's unlikely -- especially in a play-by-post game -- that we'll need rules for beyond level 14, but in the event that does happen, there is always this:

B/X Companion

Note: The affiliate id in the above 'B/X Companion' link belongs to Necrotic Gnome; not me. I left it in place, well... because.
I can say that the B/X Companion is a good continuation of the original B/X (and by extension, original OSE rules). Logical extension instead of the mess that BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia made of some things.

Also, before I get any further, thank you for letting me into the game. Nice to not sit on a wait list!
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Return to “Dave's OSE Adventures (OSE)”