[Closed] 2: On the Road (Aiko, Koga, Osaru)

Starbeard
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: On the Road: Aiko, Koga, Osaru

#41 Post by Starbeard »

The "merchants" laugh and mock you. "Tainted ones? Oh no! How dangerous! Drop your burdens and run, we'll scare them away for you!"

They approach a few steps and you see that they too have the same milky eyes and small rashes on their skin.

Actions?
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

The 'merchant's' response to Osaru only confirms what Aiko's instincts had already told her. Their appearance up ahead was no coincidence.

"It's a trap," she hisses to the others in a low whisper. "They intend to murder us."

Then louder to the 'merchants' and pretending to be grateful and unaware of their true nature, "Oh thank you". To sell her deception, she glances behind her at the five and then hurries closer to the three, as though seeking their protection. Then suddenly, she draws her blades and attacks them. She hopes her play acting and the speed of her attack will give her some slight advantage. Maybe they can overwhelm the three before the five can join the fray. She knows it isn't a great plan but it is her nature to act and so she is. Their options are limited.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru draws his weapon and readies for battle "Indeed that is as I was fearing."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Starbeard »

Skirmish time!

Mirumoto Aiko feigns fear and rushes to the safety of the merchants in front of you, while the others take the opportunity to move forward into combat range during her distraction. It seems the merchants are momentarily disabled by the maiden's helplessness, having not expected this reaction at all. And, at the moment she enters within range, Aiko draws her blade and attacks, Osaru charging in behind her.

Aiko makes a contested Awareness+Sincerity to bluff the merchant:
Aiko's Awa+Sincerity (5k3) vs Awareness x5 (TN15):
[1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 9
10's reroll: [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4
(17+14+9 = 40, success)

Merchant's Awa+Sincerity (3k3)* vs Awareness x5 (TN15):
*This should be 4k3, but one effect of the Shadowlands Taint is that it lowers your social rolls by 1 die per Shadowlands Rank. That means the cat is out of the bag: this guy has 1 Rank in the Shadowlands trait.
[1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2
(5+2+2 = 9, failure)

Aiko clearly wins.
Aiko is in melee with the merchants, and the rest are 20 yards away (i.e., you can make a combat move and still attack or take an action this round).

Everyone: please make an Initiative roll (1k1 and add your Water Air Rank). Aiko gets +1k1 to her initiative role for her ruse.

Aiko and Osaru: please make your attack rolls (Agility + Kenjutsu, listed at the bottom of the post), declaring whether you are making any raises or spending a Void Point for +1k1, and also make a damage roll (Weapon DR + Strength, also listed at the bottom), also declaring Void Points and/or adding +1k0 per raise to the attack. None of your opponents are wearing armor, so the TN will be their Reflexes x 5, which is between TN10 and TN20 for most characters.

Koga: please declare your action for the round, along with any rolls.

登場人物
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;8, Wounds (4) 0;2 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
Last edited by Starbeard on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolfVT

#45 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru gets into his fighting stance and readies to strike the closest "infected" merchant.

Initiative [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12
[1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 1
[1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 10
re-rolls [1d10] = 8
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko suddenly draws her blades, darts in and launches an attack on the corrupted 'merchants'.

General note: I assumed I healed 2 of the 4 wounds I received sparring with Harada through resting overnight at the inn, which would put me on 2 wounds and in wound level zero but I noticed I was still marked as -1 in the status block. If I am still at -1, I'd have to roll one less dice on all the rolls below, which would change things somewhat.

Initiative:

Initiative 2k2 + Water [1d10] = 6, [1d10+1] = 3+1 = 4 Total = 10
Note: I've added my Water rank as you said but shouldn't it be Air for initiative? In which case my total would be 12 rather than 10.

Attack Roll:

Kenjutsu 6k3 1 raise: [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 8,[1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 9

Exploding 10: [1d10] = 3

So, kenjutsu 6k3 (1 raise, no void) total = 13+9+8 = 30

Damage Roll:

Normal damage is 4k2. I did 1 raise, so that's 5k2 and I'm going to use a Void point to make it 6k3.
Damage 6k3: [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 1, Void dice: [1d10] = 10

Exploding 10: [1d10] = 8

Total (thanks to the void dice) = 18 + 7+ 5 = 30

Final note: Looking back on the above, if you do feel I should be rolling one less dice, I don't think it requires too much unpicking. If I drop the last dice I rolled each time, then I think it would mean:
Initiative drops from 2k2 to 1k1 = 6+1 (or +3)
Kenjutsu drops from 6k3 to 5k3 = 13+8+8 = 29
Damage drops from 6k3 to 5k3 = 18+7+5 = 30
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Starbeard »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Aiko
General note: I assumed I healed 2 of the 4 wounds I received sparring with Harada through resting overnight at the inn, which would put me on 2 wounds and in wound level zero but I noticed I was still marked as -1 in the status block. If I am still at -1, I'd have to roll one less dice on all the rolls below, which would change things somewhat.
You're right, I missed updating that. Sorry! I've fixed it now: you healed 2 points overnight (equal to your Stamina trait), which puts you at 0;2.
Note: I've added my Water rank as you said but shouldn't it be Air for initiative? In which case my total would be 12 rather than 10.
That's typo #2. It is Air Rank, I'm not sure why I typed Water. The book rule is actually 1d10+Reflexes, but I like the house rule of making it 1d10+Air, since that balances reflexes and awareness. Anyway, typo fixed, thanks.

I see that LtTibbles hasn't logged on since October, so I'll assume he's gone AWOL for now and NPC Koga.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Starbeard »

Oops! Another GM Mistake!: It just occurred to me that you all have your weapons sheathed. It takes one round to draw and ready your weapon; if you want to attack this round, you have to use the Iaijutsu skill.

It doesn't change anything here, since Osaru's Agility+Kenjutsu and Reflexes+Iaijutsu are exactly the same, and while Aiko's rolls are different (Agi+Ken is 6k3, Ref+Iai is 5k4), if we use her rolls then the 5k4 is actually better than what she had before. It does mean that both Koga's and Harada's attacks missed when they would have hit before.

I'm updating the PC notes at the bottom of GM posts, so that the first score is your 'draw and attack' skill, and the second is your 'weapon ready' attack skill.

Koga & Harada Combat Rolls: Brigand Combat Rolls:
#1 Initiative (1k1+2): [1d10] = 57
Action (1= full attack, 2-6= attack, 7-10= full defense): [1d10] = 1full attack
Full Attack (5k3 +1k1 Shadowlands, +2k0, TN to be hit becomes 5, kanabo ignores armor): [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 10
10's reroll: [1d10] = 7
Damage (4k2, +1k1 Shadowlands): [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 5

#2 Initiative (1k1+3): [1d10] = 69
Action (1= full attack Iaijutsu, 2-7= Normal Iaijutsu attack, 8-10= draw and full defense): [1d10] = 7normal attack
Attack (3k3, +1k1 Shadowlands): [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 5
Damage (5k2, +1k1 Shadowlands): [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 4

#3 Initiative (1k1+3): [1d10] = 14
Action (1-4= attack, 5-10= cast spell): [1d10] = 5cast spell
Casting Spell (Wind-borne Slumbers, 3k3 vs TN15): [1d10] = 5
Initiative Order:
12 — Aiko & Osaru
10 — Koga & Harada
9 — Brigand #1
7 — Brigand #2
4 — Brigand #3

As Aiko and Osaru draw their blades, Mirumoto Koga and Assistant Harada follow up and charge into the Corrupted brigands with cries of heroism!

The brigands respond immediately, one drawing a katana from beneath his cloak while another quickly unfurls a scroll, ready to cast from its elemental mysteries. The brigand with the iron kanabo heaves it up over his head, aiming to crush Aiko straight into the soil.

The party is too quick for the brigands.

Aiko draws her two blades and severs the kanabo brigand's hand right off, dropping him to the ground with a scream (random hit location to the hand, 30 damage is his Earth x 5, enough to destroy it; taken to 'Down' wound rank).

Osaru leaps forward and strikes the second brigand as the infected man tries to draw his own sword, slicing through his shoulder and knocking him unconscious from shock and blood loss:
(Damage roll 6k2: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 2; 10's reroll: [1d10] = 928 damage to upper arm; arm destroyed, at 'Out' wound rank)

Koga and Harada both rush after the revealed shugenja, but he manages to stay out of their kill-zones as Air is conjured up around him. Suddenly there is a gust of wind and a spirit forms next to the shugenja, blue and troll-like with brilliant white hair billowing around his face. The spirit dances through the wind toward Assistant Harada and reaches out, drawing the Air out of his body and lulling him into a deep sleep.
(Harada Earth roll vs shugenja's Air x 5): [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1 (failed, Harada falls asleep)

The five Tainted brigands coming up from behind halt only momentarily as their comrades are cut down so easily. The Corruption of the Shadowlands is strong, however, and the smell of blood sends them into a drunken rage for vengeance! They draw their weapons—all katanas, these must be a band of disreputable ronin in disguise—and rush toward you, cursing your names and your families!
(Their morale roll will effectively be 3k3 vs TN15, with success meaning they go into a frenzy: [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 5they will charge and attack)

The five tainted ronin are 30 yards away. You can move 20 yards and take an action, or run 40 yards and take no action. Two of the ronin next to you are wounded to Down or worse, and can't take any actions. The shugenja ronin is still unharmed and active.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;8, Wounds (4) 0;2 | Void Pts 1/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsu Harada, Magistrate's assistant (NPC): no armor (TN10), katana 4k2/5k3 (Dr 7k2) | Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 (ASLEEP)
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko determinedly turns on the shugenja. He's the biggest threat. We have to finish him quickly she thinks.

"Brother, protect Harada, find a way to rouse him if you can," she tells Koga. Knowing they are outnumbered and Harada is a good swordsman.

Then she launches an attack on the shugenja.

Initiative: [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12

ooc: I think I'm correct in recalling that you re-roll initiative each round in L5R. Please ignore the above if that's not the case.

Attack 6k3 (1 raise): [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 1

ooc: OMG what a dismal roll! So, that's 13 with an attempted raise. I won't even bother rolling for damage. Sorry, it's all on you now Ed/Osaru.
GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru will keep fighting the nearest threat.
unsure if i needed to do this again but here it is just in case.
Initiative [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12

[1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 5

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Starbeard »

Yep, you roll initiative each round.

Koga initiative (arousing Harada) (+2): [1d10] = 2

Shugenja action:
(1-2 maintains concentration and stays in melee;
3-8 maintains concentration and moves away;
9-10 breaks concentration and attacks/defends)
: [1d10] = 8
Shugenja initiative (full move) (+3): [1d10] = 3
The shugenja, unable to take further action without breaking the concentration of his spell, turns to flee (40 yards down the road). He ducks below Aiko’s strike, but catches Osaru’s blade right under the shoulder, severing tendons and major blood vessels!
Hit location: [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 7 — (upper arm)

Damage (5k2): [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 5
Reroll 10s: [1d10] = 7 — (17 + 8 = 25)
Shugenja drops to "Out" wound rank, arm destroyed & bleeding out 3 hits per round.
The shugenja immediately falls unconscious and loses control of the spirit feeding on Harada's inner Air. Koga stoops down and jostles Harada violently as the kami speeds away, disappearing back into the spirit world. "Master Lion! Wake up!" the young magistrate comes to immediately, as though he were never asleep. "What happened? Why am I on the ground?!" The Lion grabs his sword and starts to stand up.

Behind you, the five tainted ronin continue to charge forward, heedless of danger, screaming deathly battle cries. Their gleaming swords are held high overhead in an aggressive attacking position!

(The five ronin made full moves into contact, so cannot attack until next turn. They all look to be making Full Attacks, which give +2k0 to their attack, but their TN to be hit is reduced to TN5).

Actions?

登場人物
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;8, Wounds (4) 0;2 | Void Pts 1/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsu Harada, Magistrate's assistant (NPC): no armor (TN10), katana 4k2/5k3 (Dr 7k2) | Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 (PRONE)
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Starbeard »

FYI, here's a review of the basic combat actions available:

Move: move 40 yards, no other action.

Attack: move up to 20 yards and attack.

Full Attack: move up to 20 yards and attack with +2k0. Your TN To Be Hit is TN5 for the whole round.

Full Defense: move up to 20 yards, no other action. Roll dice equal to your Defense Rank, keeping one of them and adding that to your TN To Be Hit for the round. Also, opponents who attack you must drop all dice that roll less than your Reflexes+Defense.*

*This is actually a house rule. The rulebook says opponents drop all low dice, and the GM Guide revises this so that you roll Defense & add one die to your TN. I think I'd like to try it with both combined, since they both have problems (the original rule usually seems pointless, since for most characters the dice rolls that would actually be kept in the attack wouldn't be affected by the Full Defense, and in the revised rule characters without ranks in Defense don't get any benefit from taking Full Defense).
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko calmly turns towards the five charging tainted Ronin and holds her sword ready. She waits her moment. As soon as one of them comes close enough, she makes her strike.

Initiative: [1d10+3] = 2+3 = 5

Kenjutsu 6k3 (2 raises): [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 5
Exploding 10s: [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7
Double Exploding 10: [1d10] = 10
Treble Exploding 10: [1d10] = 4

So that's 34 + 17 + 9 = 60 to hit with 2 raises. I guess I should have raised more but who knew!

Damage 6k2: [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2

So that's 8 + 5 = 13 damage.
GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru turns facing the charging enemies and takes up a defensive stance preparing to strike once they are in range. Hand on sword hilt ready to strike.

Initiative [1d10+3] = 8+3 = 11
[1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 7
10 Re-Roll [1d10] = 4

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Starbeard »

Harada initiative (+2): [1d10] = 10 10's reroll: [1d10] = 416

Koga initiative (+2): [1d10] = 10 10's reroll: [1d10] = 921

Ronin initiatives (all +2):[1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 9 10's reroll: [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 1A) 16; B) 13; C) 11; D) 7; E) 5

Koga stands beside his sister and barely manages to slash underneath a charging ronin's guard. The wound cuts deep, dropping the ronin to the ground.

Harada wastes no time in finding out what happened. He draws upon his iaijutsu training to make a strike as he stands up, channeling his Void into the cut. The ronin charging into him brings his blade down at the same time, and the two meet in a kharmic strike—both blades cut through the opponent and Harada falls to the ground next to his opponent! The ronin clutches his wounded side while Harada lies dead, forearm severed and belly gored out.
(Harada takes 36 hits and is killed outright)

Two more ronin are right behind fall upon Harada's lifeless body with mindless bloodlust, hacking away like crazed madmen.

Osaru finds a free opponent and makes a nasty cut to the side, but the corrupted brigand grits through the pain and ricochets his katana underneath Osaru’s guard! The edge of his blade sinks deeply into Osaru’s leg, causing him to lose balance and fall to the ground!
(Osaru takes 9 hits, and is down to the -2 Wound Rank: all rolls are now -2k0)

Aiko turns calmly but is surprised to find that the Tainted ronin are already upon you. With almost no effort at all she skewers the ronin attacking Koga, simply by letting him impale himself upon her blade. As he sinks up to the hilt she sees the glassy white emptiness in his eyes, and the foul decay on his breath. Moments later he slips from her sword and falls to the ground.

You are now fully mixed in melee. Harada has been killed, and Osaru is at Wound Rank -2 (-2k0 to actions). The status of your enemies is:

Ronin “A” (Wound Rank -3), unengaged
Ronin “B” (unharmed), unengaged
Ronin “C” (unharmed), unengaged
Ronin “D” (Wound Rank -4), facing Osaru
Ronin “E” (KO, dying)

Their bloodlust appears to have faltered a bit due to wounds and casualties, and they are now taking more defensive stances.

Actions?

Combat rolls…
Koga's Attack, Initiative 21 wrote:Attacking A, B, C, D or E?: [1d10] = 9 — attacking Ronin E

Hit location: [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1 — upper leg

Attack (TN5 + 2 raises): [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 1 — total 15

Damage (+2k0): [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 6 [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2
10's reroll: [1d10] = 2total 18 hits to E (drops to -4 Rank, falls to ground from leg wound)
Harada's Attack, Initiative 16 wrote:Must use Iaijutsu while standing up, otherwise he has to wait until next round to attack.

Attacking A, B, C, D or E? (re-roll 10 since E is already engaged): [1d10] = 1 — attacking Ronin A

Hit Location: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9 — torso

Attack (TN5 + 2 raises, spending Void Point): [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 3 — total 17

Damage (+2k0): [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 7total 16 damage to Ronin A (down to -3 Rank)
Ronin A's Attack, Initiative 16 wrote:Ronin A attacks Harada

Hit Location: [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6 — lower arm

Attack (TN10, +2k0 full attack, +1k1 Taint): [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 4 — total 25

Damage (+1k0 Taint): [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 6
10's reroll: [1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 8Harada takes 36 damage (arm severed, killed)
Ronin B's Attack, Initiative 13 wrote:B's target: 1-3 Koga, 4-6 Harada, 7-8 Aiko, 9-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 6
Ronin C's Attack, Initiative 11 wrote:C's target: 1-3 Koga, 4-6 Harada, 7-8 Aiko, 9-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 6
Osaru's Attack, Initiative 11 wrote:Osaru's target: 1-2 A, 3-4 ), 6-7 C, 8-10 D: [1d10] = 6 — Osaru attacks Ronin D

Hit Location: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9 torso

Attack (TN5): total 29

Damage (5k2): [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 9Ronin D takes 18 hits (down to -4 Rank)
Ronin D's Attack, Initiative 7 wrote:Ronin D's attack against Osaru:

Hit Location: [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 1 — lower leg

Attack (TN15, +2k0 full attack, +1k1 Taint, -4k0 wounds): [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10 10's reroll: [1d10] = 2 — total 15

Damage (+1k0 Taint, -4k0 wounds): [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8Osaru takes 9 wounds to the leg (-2 Rank, fall to ground)
Aiko’s Attack, Initiative 5 wrote:Target: 1-2 A, 3-4 B, 5-6 C, 7-8 D, 9-10 E: [1d10] = 9 — Aiko attacks Ronin E

Attack (TN5 + 2 raises): total 60

Damage (+2k0): Ronin E takes 13 damage (down to Dead Rank, but still alive)
Ronin E’s Attack, Initiative 5 wrote:Ronin E will prefer Koga, Aiko and Osaru, for being unengaged and/or wounded: 1-3 Koga, 4 Harada, 5-7 Aiko, 8-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 3

Attack (TN15, +2k0 full attack, +1k1 Tainted, -4k0 wounds): [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9 — total 11 (miss)

登場人物
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) -2;1 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsu Harada, Magistrate's assistant (NPC): no armor (TN10), katana 4k2/5k3 (Dr 7k2) | Wounds (4) DEAD | Void Pts 1/2
Last edited by Starbeard on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko sees Harada go down and her face flushes in dismay and fury. She's pretty sure the magistrate is dead. She spins nimbly away from the dying tainted Ronin at her feet and angrily brings her katana down in a swift strike against one of the two uninjured tainted goring Harada.

"I will kill every last one of you, vermin!" she spits at them determinedly.

Initiative: [1d10+3] = 8+3 = 11

Kenjutsu 6k3 (0 raises): [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 7
Exploding 10: [1d10] = 10
Double Exploding 10: [1d10] = 1
So that's 21 + 9 + 8 = 38 to hit. I should have raised!

Damage 4k2: [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 1
So that's 9 + 6 = 15 damage.

ooc: Oh man! This is a typically epic L5R battle! Awesome!
GreyWolfVT

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru concentrates on the battle and his foe trying to hone his abilities and training to survive this fight.

Initiative [1d10+3] = 5+3 = 8

[1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 10
[1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4

Re-rolled 10's [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 6
Re-Rolled 2nd 10 [1d10] = 1

I just rolled my usual 6d10 and re-rolls for any 10's sry that -2k0 doesn't translate to "english" d10s to me still.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Starbeard »

Koga Initiative (+2): [1d10] = 7total 9

Ronin Initiative (all +2): [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 6
Ronin A Initiative: 11
Ronin B Initiative: 9
Ronin C Initiative: 8
Ronin D Initiative: 4

Aiko flicks her wakizashi to the side, knocking the butchering ronin's sword back to give her room for a belly cut with her katana. The sword sinks through his robe, drawing blood from between ribs! (Ronin B takes 15 hits and is now at -3 Wound Rank.)

Osaru's wounds must be enticing the opponents to him. Three of the ronin gang up on him, circling around in the hopes of picking him off quickly. One of the previously wounded ronin attempts to feint under his guard but misses—and as he steps to the side, Koga spins around reflexively to chop at him, giving a bloodcurdling shout as his enemy is slain upon his sword!

Osaru easily deflects another wounded ronin's weak attack. His katana sings as it slides along the enemy's blade, forcing its way past his guard. Osaru's katana bites into the ronin's gut, spilling his bowels in one clean motion! With a terrible scream the ronin drops his sword and clutches at his belly, knowing that the end has come.

Two ronin remain, one wounded and one unharmed. The unharmed ronin, a long-moustached man whose wild eyes and chilling laugh cut to the bone, sees Koga preoccupied elsewhere and leaps in for the kill! Koga brings up both of his swords to defend, but the maniacal ronin only cackles and leaps to the side, leaving Koga exposed! His sword goes for Koga's neck, but the Dragon samurai ducks at the last moment and takes a terrible strike to the head! He falls to his knees and drops his swords (Koga takes 25 hits, taking him to the "Out" Wound Rank. His wound will also leave a disfiguring scar to the head/face.)

The crazed ronin turns to find his next victim, speaking in tongues as though he were possessed by a demon.

The wounded ronin has more sense, and attempts to flee into the woods while he still has his life.

Actions?

Combat rolls…
11: Aiko's attack wrote:The tainted ronin is defending normally, but a 38 still hits.

Hit Location: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9 — lower torso

15 damage brings him down to Wound Rank -3.
Not enough damage to produce special effects to the hit location.
11: Ronin A's attack vs Osaru wrote:1-3 Koga, 4-6 Aiko, 7-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 8

TN15, +1k1 Taint, -4k0 Wounds: [1d10] = 7
9: Ronin B's attack vs Osaru wrote:1-3 Koga, 4-7 Aiko, 8-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 10

TN15, +1k1 Taint, -3k0 Wounds: [1d10] = 5
8. Osaru's attack against Ronin D wrote: TN10, attack roll 43. Hit!

Hit Location: [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8 — lower torso

Damage 5k2: [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 7total 16 hits

Ronin D is killed.
8. Ronin C's attack vs Koga wrote:1-4 Koga, 5-8 Aiko, 9-10 Osaru: [1d10] = 2

TN15, +1k1 Tainted: [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 2
10's reroll: [1d10] = 3total 27, hit!

Hit Location: [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 8 — Head!

Damage, +1k0 Tainted: [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 7
10's reroll: [1d10] = 8total 25

Koga is dropped to "Out" Wound Rank, and has a head disabling wound:
Head disabling effect: [1d10] = 1 — scar (+5 on all seduction TNs)
Ronin D wrote:Ronin D is dead and can't act.

登場人物
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) Out;1 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) -2;1 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsu Harada, Magistrate's assistant (NPC): no armor (TN10), katana 4k2/5k3 (Dr 7k2) | Wounds (4) DEAD | Void Pts 1/2
Opponents:
Tainted Ronin A: Killed
Fleeing Tainted Ronin B: Wound Rank -3;3 (Earth 2)
Crazy Tainted Ronin C: Wounds Rank 0;0 (Earth 2)
Tainted Ronin D: Killed
Tainted Ronin E: Killed
GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru lets the fleeing foe run for now and tries to defend Koga taking on the insane ronin that stuck Koga in the head.

Initiative [1d10+3] = 1+3 = 4

[1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 2
Re-Roll 10 [1d10] = 10
Re-re-roll 10 [1d10] = 9

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

"KOGA!!!" Aiko cries out in anguish, springing wrathfully at the crazed Ronin, who has struck down her twin brother.

Initiative: [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12

Kenjutsu Full Attack 8k3 (2 raises): [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 9
So, that's 9 + 8 + 8 = 25 with 2 raises. Hopefully that just hits?

Assuming I do hit, I'm going to add my Void to the damage. With the two raises I think that's 7k3.
Damage 7k3: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 5
So, that's 9 + 9 + 8 = 26 damage, assuming I hit.

ooc: Hopefully obviously, I went for the emotional reaction for Aiko rather than perhaps the most tactically sound choice. I think not going Full Attack would have been more prudent but less in keeping with the character and situation. Hopefully it's worked out okay.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”