Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

Re: Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

#41 Post by bucksurdu »

Marullus wrote:Allric smiles confidently at his companions. "Your Lords of Light shine auspiciously, Bandy, to allow us to resolve this mystery. Kobolds may be a match for children but not for such as we," he says, nodding surely. "Note that Thag found no footprints of grown men or larger threats. Let us proceed onward to pursue the children into the forest; we can examine the remains of this orphanage once the children are not at risk, yes?"
Alfred scratches his antlers. Hmmmm. Head down, Alfred follows the tracks into the woods, assuming the rest of party are following him. Track first and ask questions later. :)
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

It appears our elf friend has decided for us. We should probably go after 'im, we wouldn't want whatever it was that stalked Galen and I to catch 'im alone.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon reminds them of the trap door.There might-could be starvin' kids down there. Thag, why don'tcha take a gander 'fire we go traipsin' after the tracks?

@Marullus: Bandy is a halfling. Berry is our cleric. ;) Or were you playing Allric as senile? :P
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Wait up, friend Alfred, we must determine if there 'r any survivors 'ere. Help me check this 'atch for any traps, them kobolds who left them prints out there are likely to have left surprises fer us.

I could either use my Scout-3 with no help, but at no Grind cost, or we could let Alfred do the test with his Scout-2 + Fresh + I can use by Traps-Wise do help him and insulate myself from any affects, but at the cost of a turn. Any anyone else could also use Scout or something to help him.

So, do we do a Scout-3 test at no time cost
or a Scout-2 +2D (+ possibly more if y'all help) but costing a turn.

With either choice, should we subtract a die and earn a Check?

OOC: If you act on your belief then at the end of the session you can earn a Fate point. But if you act against your belief, then you could earn a Persona point. I think Persona is a little harder to earn than Fate, but when spent has more power (or affect) than a Fate point. So it might be good to earn one. But unfortunately you cannot earn both by acting on and later (in the same session) against your belief.
bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

#45 Post by bucksurdu »

Alfred turns to see Thag motioning him back. Oh, bother! He returns to the party gathered around the trapdoor. You want me to go in there? I'm no dirt-covered dwarf, but if that's what you want, I'm game.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

I recommend Alfred doing the test with help from Thag and Rabon (total 5D) and we'll use a turn. Buck, go ahead and post an action stating how you do so. Ludanto will then tell you if it NEEDS a test and what the obstacle is. Then Buck can decide if he wants to roll his dice or use a trait against himself for a check first.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Kobold traps tend to be simple, but effective. I'll be lookin' over your shoulder fer anythin' odd. And resisting the urge to say "I'll be standing waaay over here". If'n the cellar door is trapt, it'll probably be either rigged to collapse, or maybe have a trip wire attached.

Using my Trap-Wise to help, but insulate myself from any consequences.

Depending on if the test is passed or failed, I'll get to count a I Am Wise (pass) or I Am Wise (fail). I already have done Deeper Understanding and Of Course! - You remember back when I tried to disarm that falling anvil trap that kobold we found in the library had set?

Once all four types of Wise actions are done I can change my Wise, or take a Beginner's Luck or skill advancement test related to the wise.
bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

#48 Post by bucksurdu »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Kobold traps tend to be simple, but effective. I'll be lookin' over your shoulder fer anythin' odd. And resisting the urge to say "I'll be standing waaay over here". If'n the cellar door is trapt, it'll probably be either rigged to collapse, or maybe have a trip wire attached.
Okay, let me take a look at this thing. Alfred rubs his antlers and steps quietly (trait) toward the trap door. He approaches slowly, looking for trip wires or other triggers. When I get to the trap door itself, I use my dagger to gently pry up the trap door while lying on my belly with my arms extended toward the door as far as I can reach.

I use my Scout skill (3), plus Fresh (1), plus Thag's trap-wise (1) to check out the trap door. I think that gives me five dice.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rabon's on vacation, but said we can use him as an NPC if it is something he would do. He can help and add another +1D. If you use your quiet trait to help yourself you can get another +1D. But you only get to use it once per session. This would be just hte second test, and online sessions are 8-10 tests long. Or, after the GM tells you the Obstacle level, use the Quiet trait against you, take away a die, and earn a Check.
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

#50 Post by bucksurdu »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:If you use your quiet trait to help you you can get another +1D. But you only get to use it once per session. or, once the GM tells you the Obstacle, use the Quiet trait against you to earn a Check.
Right. I want to retain my quite trait for later.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

With my Wise, Rabon's help, your Fresh, you should have 6? dice. If the obstacle is only 2 then earning a Check would probably be a good option, 5 dice to get 2 successes. Or would this also be an instance of Buck's Law? lol

So we wait for Ludanto to give us the Obs.
shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I hope that maybe someone survived down there, but if no one is there, we need to find the monsters that did this and deliver the Lords' judgement on them.
Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Ludanto »

Alas, the trapdoor doesn't budge. It might be locked, and it's certainly warped by the damage. Even the metal apparatus is melted, so picking the lock isn't an option. On the other hand, there don't appear to be any traps, as there isn't much space to hide them in the barren, sooty floor.
bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

#54 Post by bucksurdu »

Ludanto wrote:Alas, the trapdoor doesn't budge. It might be locked, and it's certainly warped by the damage. Even the metal apparatus is melted, so picking the lock isn't an option. On the other hand, there don't appear to be any traps, as there isn't much space to hide them in the barren, sooty floor.
Does anyone have a hammer, axe, or small hobbit I can use to bash open the door?
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Soun's like we need t' put our backs inta it.

A Laborer test?
Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Ludanto »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Soun's like we need t' put our backs inta it.

A Laborer test?
You won't know until you actually try something...
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Who's carrying the 10' pole? Or did we leave that behind in town? I want to use the pole as a lever with a brick from the building's fireplace or a rock as a fulcrum.

If no pole, then can I get a thick branch? Or an unburned timber from the building?

Wedging the pole/branch/timber under the lip of the hatch, and using the brick/rock as a fulcrum, I use my weight to try to force open the hatch.

Anyone wanna add some muscle?
Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Ludanto »

Unfortunately, there's no place to wedge a lever. The door is flush with the floor, and the handle is a molten lump. :(
shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry produces his little used and oft forgotten mace from his belt.

Could this maybe help us bash through?
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

'tmight work, iffin we bash what's left o' the lock.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”