#41 Post by greyarea »

Yes, just a bit! :)
kjc
Strider
Strider

Re: The Town of Stewgray

#42 Post by kjc »

Arsenios aka Nevik - Cleric
Arsenios bites his lip nervously as sweat forms on his brow. He shifts back and forth on his feet as he mutters under his breath,"Lords of Light...what would St. Marcus do in this situation?"

ooc: We need a ruling Mr. GM! Arsenios is a LAWFUL CLERIC, would he lie to these men? They represent authority, structure, and order. :mrgreen:

Kryssah - Fighter
Kryssah looks for a way out of the building. She wants to shadow the cloaked figure that hurled the rock.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before." - my five-year-old son.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by merias »

kjc wrote:Arsenios aka Nevik - Cleric
Arsenios bites his lip nervously as sweat forms on his brow. He shifts back and forth on his feet as he mutters under his breath,"Lords of Light...what would St. Marcus do in this situation?"

ooc: We need a ruling Mr. GM! Arsenios is a LAWFUL CLERIC, would he lie to these men? They represent authority, structure, and order. :mrgreen:
Alignment choices are totally in your court, do as you wish. Perhaps minor transgressions can be atoned for or rationalized in some way? Of course, I always reserve the right to play an angry god later :twisted: .
Kryssah - Fighter
Kryssah looks for a way out of the building. She wants to shadow the cloaked figure that hurled the rock.
Kryssah was sitting in the corner, next to the rear door. So she has any easy/quick out if she wants it.
kjc
Strider
Strider

#44 Post by kjc »

Arsenios - Cleric
Obviously uncomfortable, eyes wide and pleading, Arsenios says nervously, "Nevik huh? I'm not sure...I feel we should cooperate with the authorities..."

Kryssah - Fighter
Trying to slip out quietly, but quickly, Kryssah moves to follow the cloaked figure outside.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle gives Arsenios a harsh look for a second. Excuse me, guard, but who is this Visk? He sounds like an evil character and I know my friend here, motioning to Arsenios, and I would like to help the forces of law bring him to justice, if we can be of such help.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Drizzle gives Arsenios a harsh look for a second. Excuse me, guard, but who is this Visk? He sounds like an evil character and I know my friend here, motioning to Arsenios, and I would like to help the forces of law bring him to justice, if we can be of such help.
The younger guard eyes you for a moment, then speaks. "Ask anyone in town, they know the name. Last year we had three murders, all had this parchment with a black hand on a wax seal left at the scene. We had a Warden pass through here back then who mentioned the name Visk - she said Hingford had some problems with 'im in the past. Poison is new, and in broad daylight...that's a first. Scared the locals, then seemed to disappear, until now. If you want to help, we would love to know where Visk and his assassins are hiding. The Regent has a reward for information leading to his capture, lots more if you bring 'im in yourself."

The guard looks down at the body, then kneels and starts checking Dribbho's robes.

"Hm, nothing on him. Not even a coin purse," the younger guard says, looking at Rufus, then back at the dynamic duo. "Must have really been down on his luck...well, you two are free to go."

Rufus turns to the innkeeper. "Hullman, can you fetch the undertaker?"

Status: Only the three of you are in the Inn, with the two guards, Hullman, the body and the three Hobbits, who are watching from the bar but have not said a word. Everyone else ran out, including Kryssah who left out the back door.

I'm waiting on a PM from kjc, then I'll start a new thread with the pursuit of the cloaked figure.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle nods and thanks the guards, and then asks Arsenios and Adrog to come with him out of the building and to a darker area. I have a feeling we might get swept into this. Sorry to put you in that situation, pal. When the town guards are concerned, I think it helps if we can remain out of gaol if possible. With me being right there and a man suddenly dead, I'd be hung from my neck for sure. This way at least we can help secure justice.

If we can find this Visk character, we can stop these assassinations and maybe get a nice reward besides. Better than working for some mysterious mage, perhaps. We solve this mystery, and bring in the Black Hand Gang, everyone profits.
kjc
Strider
Strider

#48 Post by kjc »

merias wrote: I'm waiting on a PM from kjc, then I'll start a new thread with the pursuit of the cloaked figure.
occ: PM sent
Miraje
Strider
Strider

#49 Post by Miraje »

Adrog will follow the others, but keep a wary eye on the Guards. And those Hobbits. Hobbits are shifty... 8-)
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by merias »

Time-wise Kryssah would have slipped out the back door before even Hullman had a chance to - so only Arsenios would have seen her leave, and she'll still be gone by the time you are done chatting with the guards. Let me know what you are doing in the meantime.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by merias »

Miraje wrote:Adrog will follow the others, but keep a wary eye on the Guards. And those Hobbits. Hobbits are shifty... 8-)
Shifty Hobbitsssess...

As you leave one of them raises a mug in salute, but they seem unfazed and unwilling to otherwise move from the bar.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle says, So what is our next move? We find these Black Hand Gang guys, and Visk, of course, but how to find them? Any ideas?
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by merias »

We'll assume Kryssah makes it back to the Inn without incident.

A reminder, Drizzle still has the leather scroll case and coin purse he took from the body.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle waits until he thinks no one other than the party is watching and checks the coin purse and scroll case.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by merias »

Sorry! I forgot I owed you all an update.

Drizzle opens the leather scroll tube by prying off the endcap. Inside is a formal-looking parchment with some sort of seal, another that begins "I, Dribbho Gordelsom of Copper Way in Stewgray, being of sound mind.." etc., and a small note.

The change purse holds 11sp and 6gp, and a silver broach with Regent's standard on it (a shield with two standing bucks, facing each other with front hooves raised and crossed atop the shield).

(assuming Drizzle keeps reading)

The will details that Dribbho has no living relatives, and gives the bearer his residence, property and all contents therein, such that it is. Perhaps he was waiting to give that to someone? You are unsure, but you now seem to be the owners of a house in Stewgray.

The parchment with the seal looks like a deed to a house, on Copper Way in Stewgray, and details a small plot of land attached to the residence, along with hunting rights in Silverwood. You are unsure of where that street is.

The note is thus, in black ink:

"One league and a half along the Hunter's Road, take the northerly path along the dry ravine to the giant's rock and await our arrival."
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle strokes his chin thoughtfully, shows the parchment wordlessly to his companions, and then rolls it back in its case.

It seems we have a few places we can investigate: this house for more clues, or this location to meet these folk for the rendezvous. For some reason, I have a feeling those he was to meet are either part of the gang we seek, or have information about them. I suggest we meet them. I play Dribbho and you all stay in shadow.

Perhaps I should take this will out of the scroll case, so if they ask for it I can give it without surrendering its contents. This broach might help us get past any guards that might otherwise bar our progress.

Let's go get a second scroll case and some parchment, if we can. Then we have this as a decoy so we don't surrender the will if it comes to that.
Miraje
Strider
Strider

#57 Post by Miraje »

Adrog

Best we search here before moving on, that way if something gets complicated we don't have to backtrack.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by merias »

Drizzle can find a scroll case and blank parchment in the market for 1gp.

You don't know where Copper Way is, but I'll assume you can easily get directions from the innkeeper, if you want to investigate it. Otherwise let me know where you are headed.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle says, Search away, Adrog. I will get a case and parchment and then directions to this meeting place and to the house. When that's done we can see the results of your search and make our way from there. Since this Dribbho was just a guest at this establishment, I doubt you will find much, he concludes.

Then he heads to the market for the supplies and will ask the seller for directions, both to Copper Way and Hunter's Road. If he doesn't know, he will ask the innkeeper when he returns to see Adrog's progress.
merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Drizzle says, Search away, Adrog. I will get a case and parchment and then directions to this meeting place and to the house. When that's done we can see the results of your search and make our way from there. Since this Dribbho was just a guest at this establishment, I doubt you will find much, he concludes.

Then he heads to the market for the supplies and will ask the seller for directions, both to Copper Way and Hunter's Road. If he doesn't know, he will ask the innkeeper when he returns to see Adrog's progress.
Where would Adrog like to search (the private and shared rooms at the inn are upstairs)?

Drizzle makes his way to the market, and in short order locates what he needs. A small sign on a tent above a few, small tables of writing and calligraphy supplies reads 'Mixl's Manuscripts'. After your purchase of a blank scroll and case, Mixl, a short and chubby man with greying hair and ink-stained fingers, informs you that Copper Way is in the northeast corner of the town, and Hunter's Road is accessed via the Hunter's Gate to the east, which you know from Kryssah's walkabout is restricted to official business. He continues, this time at a whisper, leaning forward "A newcomer to town, I see. A small bit of advice, keep what coin you have at the ready! Most of the town guards are quick to look the other way as it were for a suitable bribe, also be wary of..." Mixl is cut short by a commotion on the opposite side of the market, two men are yelling at each other and seem close to blows.

ooc: You have plenty of money, see viewtopic.php?f=159&t=3268 for a reminder. Only the latecomer Kryssah is relatively poor. Also waiting on kjc's actions. I sent him a PM.

Actions?

Return to “Nolenor (OD&D)”