0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

Eris
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

#41 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:20 pm
"Welcome to Berm!" says Cladie with a smile, "Money first, and if you break it you bought it, understood?"

"Aye good lady, here is your gold. Happy to have a bed." -2 gp

"Okay, then, food and drink now, or do you want to take your gear up to the room first?" she asks as she takes the money and drops it into her pouch which she pulls from inside her dress and then puts back inside.
"Given you are apt to get busy I will drop off my gear in the room, if that's alright."

Malbek will go thru his adventures pack for his supply of paper and writing implement and head back down.

Malbek
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:21 pm
Eris wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:20 pm
"Welcome to Berm!" says Cladie with a smile, "Money first, and if you break it you bought it, understood?"

"Aye good lady, here is your gold. Happy to have a bed." -2 gp

"Okay, then, food and drink now, or do you want to take your gear up to the room first?" she asks as she takes the money and drops it into her pouch which she pulls from inside her dress and then puts back inside.
"Given you are apt to get busy I will drop off my gear in the room, if that's alright."

Malbek will go thru his adventures pack for his supply of paper and writing implement and head back down.

Malbek
Cladie drops the coin in her pouch, tucking it away and then shows Malbek, and the rest of you, to the large room on the top (3rd) floor of the building.

Going up the stairs you pass the second floor, "These are Lars and my chambers. Guests are on the floor above."

Continuing up the narrow stairs you reach a landing with a pair of doors. Claudie takes a large key from a set and unlocks the one on the right and shows you in.

"You'll bed here, and if you'd rather you can take meals here as well. " Claudie shows you around the room, "The beds have clean sheets and blankets. More blankets are in the chest, there. Oh, and the chamber pots are in the little room there. They are emptied each morning."

The room is large, taking up about half the space of the upper floor. There are four double beds in the room. Each bed can be surrounded with curtains to provide privacy and extra warmth. The curtains hang from rails suspended from the rafters. There is space for extra beds or for sleeping on the floor if there are more than will fit the beds.

There are a pair of open windows, one on the north wall and one on the west wall neither has glass, but there are wooden shutters that can be opened or closed...and locked. The window on the north overlooks the palisade and the forest beyond, the one on the west wall gives a view of the river.

A closed door on the south wall opens to "the little room" a shared privy or toilet. Inside there is a wooden seat and lid with a chamber pot under it enclosed with a wooden cabinet to contain smells. A basket filled with what look like corn shucks is next to the toilet. There is also a table with a jug of clean water on it and a bucket set next to it if you wish to have a quick wash.

There is a table in center of the large room. Four wooden straight backed chairs are grouped around it and two more are against one wall. There is an oil lamp set in the center of the table.

On the walls are sconces with short unlighted tallow candles in them. A shelf on the wall holds a group of candles and a brass candle snuffer.

Against one wall is a wooden chest. The chest lid is closed and there is a cushion atop it to act as a seat while it is closed.

Cladie hands Malbek the key, "Come down when you're ready for a drink or meal."

Once everyone is settled you can also talk over your plans for the rest of the evening. You can remain here in the room or go downstairs with Malbek who is taking some paper, quill and ink with him when he goes.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:54 pmOnce everyone is settled you can also talk over your plans for the rest of the evening. You can remain here in the room or go downstairs with Malbek who is taking some paper, quill and ink with him when he goes.
Aislin takes a few moments to study the area around the inn from the window. She removes her armor, bow, and her pack, setting them on one of the chairs against the wall. She rummages in her pack for a suede roll that contains her eating utensils, including a knife that doubles as a dagger at need. Then, the elf looks up at the others. "I'm going down to eat with Malbek."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#44 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:54 pm
"Okay, then, food and drink now, or do you want to take your gear up to the room first?" [/dialog]she asks as she takes the money and drops it into her pouch which she pulls from inside her dress and then puts back inside.
"And I'd like to get cleaned up a bit too before dinner too," Maeva adds.
Cladie drops the coin in her pouch, tucking it away and then shows Malbek, and the rest of you, to the large room on the top (3rd) floor of the building.

Going up the stairs you pass the second floor, "These are Lars and my chambers. Guests are on the floor above."

Continuing up the narrow stairs you reach a landing with a pair of doors. Claudie takes a large key from a set and unlocks the one on the right and shows you in.

"You'll bed here, and if you'd rather you can take meals here as well. " Claudie shows you around the room, "The beds have clean sheets and blankets. More blankets are in the chest, there. Oh, and the chamber pots are in the little room there. They are emptied each morning."
Those who have been around Maeva for any period of time would probably notice the slight and quickly concealed look of disappointment on her face before she turns back to Cladie, wearing a polite smile. "Thank you. This will be perfectly fine."
The room is large, taking up about half the space of the upper floor. There are four double beds in the room. Each bed can be surrounded with curtains to provide privacy and extra warmth. The curtains hang from rails suspended from the rafters. There is space for extra beds or for sleeping on the floor if there are more than will fit the beds.

There are a pair of open windows, one on the north wall and one on the west wall neither has glass, but there are wooden shutters that can be opened or closed...and locked. The window on the north overlooks the palisade and the forest beyond, the one on the west wall gives a view of the river.

A closed door on the south wall opens to "the little room" a shared privy or toilet. Inside there is a wooden seat and lid with a chamber pot under it enclosed with a wooden cabinet to contain smells. A basket filled with what look like corn shucks is next to the toilet. There is also a table with a jug of clean water on it and a bucket set next to it if you wish to have a quick wash.

There is a table in center of the large room. Four wooden straight backed chairs are grouped around it and two more are against one wall. There is an oil lamp set in the center of the table.

On the walls are sconces with short unlighted tallow candles in them. A shelf on the wall holds a group of candles and a brass candle snuffer.

Against one wall is a wooden chest. The chest lid is closed and there is a cushion atop it to act as a seat while it is closed.

Cladie hands Malbek the key, "Come down when you're ready for a drink or meal."
"I'll be down soon, and thanks again." The hazel-eyed woman waits until the girl is definitely out of earshot before letting out a barely perceptible sigh and saying to no one in particular, "Well, at least it seems to be nice and clean, and the bedding seems to have been recently changed." Choosing one of the beds in the large room, Maeva takes off her leathers, stows her weapons and gear, and spends some time with the jug and bucket cleaning herself up and making herself look as presentable as she possibly can.
Once everyone is settled you can also talk over your plans for the rest of the evening. You can remain here in the room or go downstairs with Malbek who is taking some paper, quill and ink with him when he goes.
Once she's done with sprucing herself up, Maeva excuses herself from anyone who's still in the room, and then heads downstairs to have something to eat with the rest of the party.

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by joertexas »

bobk2323 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:09 amOnce she's done with sprucing herself up, Maeva excuses herself from anyone who's still in the room, and then heads downstairs to have something to eat with the rest of the party.
Aislin walks downstairs with her, and finds Malbek. She sits down across from him and looks for the young halfling server.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:27 am Aislin walks downstairs with her, and finds Malbek. She sits down across from him and looks for the young halfling server.

"Welcome I asked for bread and cheese for now, I figured you could order what you want, there server should be out with your ale, I asked for a fresh one delivered when someone arrived to the table."

Malbek has his paper wrapped up in a twine to protect it.

Malbek
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:46 pm
joertexas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:27 am Aislin walks downstairs with her, and finds Malbek. She sits down across from him and looks for the young halfling server.

"Welcome I asked for bread and cheese for now, I figured you could order what you want, there server should be out with your ale, I asked for a fresh one delivered when someone arrived to the table."

Malbek has his paper wrapped up in a twine to protect it.

Malbek
"Sounds good to me. What is my share in the room and the meal?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:14 pm "Sounds good to me. What is my share in the room and the meal?"
2 gold divided by the number of us, 8 silver, I suppose, that leaves 4 silver for the server.

GM Counting 3 active characters.

"Ale has Bog Myrtle in it i believe, and a couple other things. Tasty."

Looks around.

"Based on what you heard, you think its worth while to gather a map of the area, you never know where we have to go."

Malbek
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Eris »

The ale is not watered down, thick and strong. The food is basic, a stew with potatoes, carrots and shredded chicken in a rich brown sauce. There are loaves of fresh sour bread to act as trenchers and to mop up the sauce as you eat.

The room slowly fills with locals, both men and women, eating, drinking, and talking. Your group seems to be an object of interest to the locals, as you all notice them watching you and whispering to each other. They aren't unfriendly, just interested, as it appears strangers are pretty rare in Berm.

Lars steps up on the stage and introduces a young man with a lute who limps up onto the stage behind him, "Jocas has agreed to play and sing for us this evening. He won't ask, but a coin or two in the hat would be appreciated. You all know why, so enough said about that."

Jocas plays and sings. The songs are old familiar ones. He isn't great, but he can pick the tunes out well enough and his voice isn't off key. Some of the patrons sing along with him, quite a few drop coppers and silvers into a hat that has been placed next to the small stage.

After a bit, he stops and Lars takes the stage again saying, "Let's give Jo a hand and maybe he'll come back later to sing for us again."

Later Lars stops by your table and asks, "Is everything to your liking? The food and drink? You room?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:17 pm The ale is not watered down, thick and strong. The food is basic, a stew with potatoes, carrots and shredded chicken in a rich brown sauce. There are loaves of fresh sour bread to act as trenchers and to mop up the sauce as you eat.
Maeva smiles a little as she takes her first big sip of her ale, pleasantly surprised. "That's actually rather good," she says to no one in particular. While there's really no way for anyone to determine whether or not she's disappointed by the decidedly non-gourmet food, even the ex-wealthy girl has to admit to herself that it's all quite fresh, and satisfyingly filling. Unlike her normal practice of daintily partaking of her food with the sensibilities of a rich gourmet on a diet, she partakes of it heartily, almost as a living example of "hunger makes the best sauce."
The room slowly fills with locals, both men and women, eating, drinking, and talking. Your group seems to be an object of interest to the locals, as you all notice them watching you and whispering to each other. They aren't unfriendly, just interested, as it appears strangers are pretty rare in Berm.
The brunette young woman is neither offended nor intrigued by their attention, concentrating on other things as she enjoys her dinner.
Lars steps up on the stage and introduces a young man with a lute who limps up onto the stage behind him, "Jocas has agreed to play and sing for us this evening. He won't ask, but a coin or two in the hat would be appreciated. You all know why, so enough said about that."

Jocas plays and sings. The songs are old familiar ones. He isn't great, but he can pick the tunes out well enough and his voice isn't off key. Some of the patrons sing along with him, quite a few drop coppers and silvers into a hat that has been placed next to the small stage.
Almost as if she a bit embarrassed by actually doing so, she surreptitiously drops a few silvers of her own into the hat as she makes a quick trip to the privy.
Later Lars stops by your table and asks, "Is everything to your liking? The food and drink? You room?"
Maeva smiles politely. "Everything is quite adequate, thank you. And the people that work here have been very courteous to us as well."

--
Bob K.
Last edited by bobk2323 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Bob K.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by joertexas »

bobk2323 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:19 am
Maeva smiles politely. "Everything is quite adequate, thank you. And the people that work here have been very courteous to us as well."
Aislin swallows her bite of food and sips her ale. "It's very good, thank you."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by ateno »

"Yes, very good, thank you. I'll take another when you can.

After the entertainment Malbek will walk around with his ale and try to strike up conversations about the local area and try to add to his map.

Malbek
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:33 pm "Yes, very good, thank you. I'll take another when you can.

After the entertainment Malbek will walk around with his ale and try to strike up conversations about the local area and try to add to his map.

Malbek
The locals all seem willing to trade information for information. Malbek has to tell them about Fallcrest, where he was yesterday and for a while before that, and pass along a few tales, but he does gather what he seeks. Some of it anyway.

The road from Berm to Old Bridge follows the east bank of the Dragon for under a league before curving around a swampy area into the forest where it meanders between hills for the better part of a day's walk.

"It's a trail, not really a road." one of the locals informs him, "And in the deep wood you'll enter the County of Harv where the little people live."

"Obits they call themselves."
says one, "No, Hobbits." corrects another.

"Well, anyway, small people who aren't unfriendly if you do no harm. In fact, you might want to stop at their village for the night as that should be more safe than a camp in the wood."

"Beyond the Harv, the woods are thick and filled with dangers."
then someone corrects this, "No, not so bad. I've walked it several times. Of course, there are always dangers in the forest, but the trees thin out and the trail comes back to near the Dragon River for the rest of the trek. Most of the evil creatures, Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs and such are on the west side of the river up toward the Grey Hills. You should not run into them along the trail."

"I hear that Goblins have set up at Old Bridge. Is that why you are headed there, to run them away?"
asks one of the locals, "If they overrun Old Bridge they will eventually come down this way to threaten us, too."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by ateno »

"
Using this map I got here, it there a rise or a tree or object we can come up behind and use as cover to look at the 'old bridge', pays to be prepared."

Malbek
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:07 pm "
Using this map I got here, it there a rise or a tree or object we can come up behind and use as cover to look at the 'old bridge', pays to be prepared."

Malbek
"Old Bridge is a town, a little bigger than us." says one of the locals, "It's called Old Bridge, because there used to be a bridge that went across the Dragon River there once upon a time."

"Yeah, it went from the west bank to the island in the river and from there to the east bank where the town is located. The big ruins are over on the west bank."
another of the locals tells you adding, "The trail will emerge from the trees east of the town and go through some farmland. From there you can look down on the town, I suppose. I guess you'd be able to see where the bridge used to be out on the river before it collapsed, too."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:22 am "Yeah, it went from the west bank to the island in the river and from there to the east bank where the town is located. The big ruins are over on the west bank."[/dialog] another of the locals tells you adding, "The trail will emerge from the trees east of the town and go through some farmland. From there you can look down on the town, I suppose. I guess you'd be able to see where the bridge used to be out on the river before it collapsed, too."
"Thank you kindly, that will help."

Malbec draws out the presumptive route on his hand drawn map and heading to the last speaker

"That's about right then, I appriciate the time. Enjoy your night."

Malbec
bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:22 am
"Old Bridge is a town, a little bigger than us." says one of the locals, "It's called Old Bridge, because there used to be a bridge that went across the Dragon River there once upon a time."

"Yeah, it went from the west bank to the island in the river and from there to the east bank where the town is located. The big ruins are over on the west bank."
another of the locals tells you adding, "The trail will emerge from the trees east of the town and go through some farmland. From there you can look down on the town, I suppose. I guess you'd be able to see where the bridge used to be out on the river before it collapsed, too."
Maeva asks, "Just how intact are these ruins, if you don't mind my asking? Would there still be enough to them for someone to use them as cover or shelter?"

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Eris »

bobk2323 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:46 pm
Eris wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:22 am
Maeva asks, "Just how intact are these ruins, if you don't mind my asking? Would there still be enough to them for someone to use them as cover or shelter?"
"Oh yeah!" Maeva gets several nods from the locals here, "The fortress on the island in the middle of the river is still enough intact to be something of a fortress. I think most roofs are gone, collapsed in over the years, and the outer walls have fallen and much of the stone carted off, but the central keep still stands. Mostly."

"Not so much the ruins on either side of the river and the bridge isn't there at all, completely gone now."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Eris »

You don't learn much else about the area, some rumors of "walking trees deep in the wood" and some Lizardmen having moved into a swamp next to the river between Berm and Old Bridge, oh and a tribe of Barbarians was seen on the west bank traveling south...they didn't seem unfriendly, but you never know with nomads, and they are further east than usual.

OOC: Once you've finished your meal and chat with the locals, are any of you doing anything other than heading to bed for a night sleep?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:24 pm OOC: Once you've finished your meal and chat with the locals, are any of you doing anything other than heading to bed for a night sleep?
Aislin meditates on her spells for the next day before she goes to bed.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Nentir Vale Adventures (SFA/TD Hack)”