Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#41 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Sensing that something horrible has happened to one of his companions, Thurinor cannot resist the temptation to turn around and look. Though still holding a defensive posture and striking any crows that come near, his concentration is broken for a moment.

To hit short sword: [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 Damage s/m [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Damage L [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

Tough break, Swil! :shock:
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh doesn't let out any cry but he clutches the eyeless socket, dropping his battle axe. He sinks to his knees. He still holds his shield but he makes no attack this round.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Early Afternoon - The Eastern Platform

Round 3

Party Initiative: [1d6] = 3, NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Segments: Party 1st, Crows 3rd, Stonjuz 6th

As the crow leader is rising, still sending shrill cries, Ogirdor takes aim and lets loose two arrows more. The missiles fly straight but not true enough. Both ruffle his outmost feathers but fail to hit flesh or bone. Andrin watches this happening without taking any actions of his own.

While his battleaxe drops and clatters on the carved stones that form the ground of the platform Swilbosh falls silently to his knees clutching the bloodied ruin of his left eye socket; but with enough presence of spirit to keep his shield raised for protection.

Stonjuz begins casting another healing spell to aid Ozborn, but the fighter-thief charges from his protective position by the doors to avenge the lizardman companion who was just maimed attempting to help him. The fury of his attack delivers one of the last crows from life with a brutal shortsword blow.

Thurinor looks around and adopts a defensive posture to strike at any bird that comes near...noe do however. The crows are retreating. The smaller ones hiding behind the battlement disappear and the their leader, followed by a couple of survivors from the battle against the adventurers make haste in flapping back to the tower top and beyond it.

As the birds fade from sight Stonjuz tiptoes to where Ozborn lies, touches him and a new magical healing surge waves over him curing him fully.

There is a great cacophony of crowing and flapping coming from the the unseen top of the tower. It gets dimmer and more distant quickly until only silence remains.

End of Round 3 - Combat Ends

Hit Points and Conditions updated: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=652&p=14202#p14202

For the group's ease in deciding what to do next, here is the map of the platform again.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozborn shudders as his wounds close up. He claps Stonjuz on the shoulder. "Thank you, sir!" Suddenly remembering where he is, he turns toward where Swilbosh is kneeling and winces. "...but, ah, maybe you better see if you can do something for Swilbosh here." He stands around awkwardly for a moment not sure what to do with himself. "I'll go check on that door, then. The sooner we get out of here the better."

He approaches the door as before, looking for signs of traps, loose stones, etc. He doesn't expect to find much - judging by the crows' behavior after the battle he gathers that their nest was up there and that they were protecting it. He doubts a crow could set a trap, but he's seen a lot of things today already that he never thought he'd see...
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh stands and balefully looks with his remaining eye to where the crows have fled to. He stands contemplative for a while.
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by zebediah »

With the crows flying away Ogirdor turns his attention to Swilbosh. He will try to clean the wound and put some bandages.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Stonjuz »

ChubbyPixie wrote:........ he turns toward where Swilbosh is kneeling and winces. "...but, ah, maybe you better see if you can do something for Swilbosh here." .......He approaches the door as before, looking for signs of traps, loose stones, etc....
"Now just how in tarnation do you go about figuring Boccob is to replace his eye? I know!....I'll just conjure up a TRUE SEEING spell......ahahaha!
Seriously now, poor Swilbosh, and I do feel fer ya now, ....and I can take away the pain....that be doing ya?....I be glad to....come on over and lets all have a look at it whilst Oz here jimmies the door."

ooc: its only one hit point.....and he doesnt seem to be shrieking or anything like that....so I was planning on saving his last spell, for now.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Early Afternoon - The Eastern Platform

While Ogirdor and Stonjuz move to aid Swilbosh, Ozborn checks the doors. He finds no evidence of traps on the locks but the doors are indeed locked.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Retrieving his tools from his pack, Ozborn will attempt to pick the lock. He thinks the Kingsley / Hearthstone method should do the trick, though the pinky manipulation is difficult.

"Would someone be so kind as to see if either of the arrows I shot are intact while I see what I can do with this door? It's locked tight. Hopefully this won't take but a moment."
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor observes the valiant Swilbosh for a moment as if taken aback. His usual flippant smile is gone, replaced by a look of something between wonder and horror and all kinds of what-ifs that die on his lips before he can speak them. He looks to the tower where the crows have just left and says, "What else lies in wait for us there?" Then he snatches up his crossbow where he dropped it and hoofs it to catch up with Oz, looking for the brave thief's stray arrows as he goes. As Oz picks the lock, he reloads his crossbow and keeps a steady lookout. "I have a certain sticky spider spell that might get one of us over the wall," he says. "In case this doesn't work, I mean." And he grins, never down for long.
Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin moves over to the lizard man, a look of compassion and guilt on his young face. "I'm sorry, Swilbosh... Perhaps if we had attacked them immediately this would have never happened. I have yet to learn a lot as a druid and was unaware of the evilness within these birds."
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by saalaria »

Stonjuz wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote:........ he turns toward where Swilbosh is kneeling and winces. "...but, ah, maybe you better see if you can do something for Swilbosh here." .......He approaches the door as before, looking for signs of traps, loose stones, etc....
"Now just how in tarnation do you go about figuring Boccob is to replace his eye? I know!....I'll just conjure up a TRUE SEEING spell......ahahaha!
Seriously now, poor Swilbosh, and I do feel fer ya now, ....and I can take away the pain....that be doing ya?....I be glad to....come on over and lets all have a look at it whilst Oz here jimmies the door."

ooc: its only one hit point.....and he doesnt seem to be shrieking or anything like that....so I was planning on saving his last spell, for now.

OOC - definitely agree stoney no healing required currently
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Stonjuz »

Sir Clarence wrote:........ was unaware of the evilness within these birds."[/b][/color]
"Don't be so hard on yourself now, Andrin. I wouldn't call it evil. To them, we are the evil 'ere. As natural o' thing as anyone can see.....except maybe Swillby here." Stonjuz turns attention to the injury. "The temples of Good may be able to help you, if we ever find em again. Swillbosh? Have you ever heard of Cuthbert and Pelor? Im pretty sure Boccob is too uncaring of the matter. Besides, I got a sling here that can cover it up, like an eyepatch. And it sometimes gives off an air of swag if you are out trying to pick up the la...lizardladies."
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by saalaria »

"Thanksssss my friendssss for your care. One thing I know I do not like thessse evil birdssss. Come let ussss ssssee if there issss a way through thisss door to get at them for revenge."

With that he adjusts the bandage to be a bit more comfortable and shakes his fist in the direction the crows went.

He then gathers his gear - including the battle axe and turns to face the door, ready for action again.
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by zebediah »

Let's see what lies behind this door, and be all prepared.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Early Afternoon - Eastern Platfrom/The Tower

With skills of larceny and appropriate tools the roguish Ozborn soon manages to beat the old locks that hold the tower's doors closed. The doors are opened. Roused by a draught from their opening, the dust of ages billows out from the darkness within the tower.

When it clears the companions see a windowless 30 x 30 feet square room with several box-like shapes on its floor, their outlines softened by a thick layer of dust. No one but the adventurers has come this way for many years, that much is clear. And, judging from the humanoid skeleton slumped against one of the boxes, the last one to do so met with an untimely end. Peering from the open entrance the adventurers see another door near the SW corner of the room.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by Stonjuz »

"Most excellent skills with the tumblas Ozzy. Now to scope this trap that this skelly failed to notice. Must be around here somewhere wouldnt ya say?"
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hmmm. Hard to look for traps with this dust covering everything. Anybody got a 10 foot pole to prod around with? Thurinor? You have any magic that could clean this place up? Or a way to blow some of ithe dust away? What are those boxes, you think?"

Ozborn will examine the position / posture of the skeleton from the doorway to see if he can get any clue as to the manner of the unfortunate person's death. Is he sprawled like he was struck down? Did he just slump over as if fallen asleep or poisoned?

ooc: Would it seem to Ozborn that the amount of dust is unusual for a room that's been sealed? Is there a check for that?
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Early Afternoon - Eastern Platfrom/The Tower

Straining his eyes Ozborn can see that the skeleton, which appears to be smaller than man-sized, is covered in rotten and mildewed rags or leathers. A rusty dagger can be seen jutting from its ribs is a spot where the clothing as fully rotted away.

The amount of dust in the room seems in line with what can be expected from a place that has been closed for a looong time. The attic of of someone's great-grandfather might look like this if it had been closed since the person's death.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”