001 - Welcome to North Port!

joertexas
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 001 - Welcome to North Port!

#41 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:46 am
terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 amMirek watched the conversation with interest.
The Caravan Master glances in Mirek's direction for a moment as Amistad speaks his piece, and then returns her attention to him. "My reputation is well known here in North Port. Perhaps some inquiries will ease your mind."

She looks at Adan. "What say you, Adan?"
"Well..." Adan looks at Amistad for a second then turns back to the Caravan Master, "I don't have anything to do for the next day or so. If you are paying all expenses, I don't have an objection to taking a trip to South Port to look over your caravan before deciding on anything."

"I do have a request, though." Adan is sitting easily in his chair, but he has one hand resting casually on the butt of his hand crossbow, "At the moment you have the advantage on us as you know our names and we don't know yours. It appears we will be traveling companions...for one day at least, so, let's start this again."

Adan stands and offers his hand to the woman seated at the table, "I'm Adan Quinn and it's a pleasure to meet you..." he cocks his head and waits to see if she will shake his and if she will offer her name.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:36 am
"Well..." Adan looks at Amistad for a second then turns back to the Caravan Master, "I don't have anything to do for the next day or so. If you are paying all expenses, I don't have an objection to taking a trip to South Port to look over your caravan before deciding on anything."

"I do have a request, though." Adan is sitting easily in his chair, but he has one hand resting casually on the butt of his hand crossbow, "At the moment you have the advantage on us as you know our names and we don't know yours. It appears we will be traveling companions...for one day at least, so, let's start this again."

Adan stands and offers his hand to the woman seated at the table, "I'm Adan Quinn and it's a pleasure to meet you..." he cocks his head and waits to see if she will shake his and if she will offer her name.
She takes his hand in a firm grip with a small smile. "I am Ustasi, but most people know me as the Caravan Master from South Port."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:05 am She takes his hand in a firm grip with a small smile. "I am Ustasi, but most people know me as the Caravan Master from South Port."
"A pleasure to meet you Ustansi." Adan returns the firm grip, "Caravan Master from South Port. When do we leave for South Port?"

Releasing his grip Adan turns to Amistad, "The bravest and strongest warriors come to North Port, but the caravans leave from South Port. Perhaps that is why she recruits here, aye? If we are to guard caravan we will have to make our way to that city in any case. I say, we let the Caravan Master pay our way to that place, look over her caravan and then each decide whether to take employment there or not."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"If she wants guards to go to South Port why not put South Port in the advert? Only fools come here to go there.

Ma'am Ustasi, if you want me to bodyguard you to the ship and South Port it will cost you four thaylers. I will protect you from fools and rogues.

Once there I will review your caravan, the security needs, the route and other prospective guardians and make my offer and recommendations."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:30 pm Amistad

"If she wants guards to go to South Port why not put South Port in the advert? Only fools come here to go there.

Ma'am Ustasi, if you want me to bodyguard you to the ship and South Port it will cost you four thaylers. I will protect you from fools and rogues.

Once there I will review your caravan, the security needs, the route and other prospective guardians and make my offer and recommendations."
Ustasi looks to the room's other doorway. "Elaith!"

A woman strides into the room. "Is there a problem?"

Elaith Aefir Portrait.jpg
Elaith Aefir Portrait.jpg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 589 times

"Amistad here says that you aren't really doing your job as my assistant and route planner," Ustasi deadpans. "And, we should advertise for new guards to show up in South Port."

The elf eyes the barbarian for a moment. "Considering that South Port's harbor is too shallow for a sailing ship, I'd say it'd make more sense to meet prospective guards here. We make four trips per year, and I've been with you for five years, give or take a tenday. So, after a score of trips, I know the way to Traveler's Rest, and I've lived through them all. Barely, I admit, but I am here."

The half-elf carries a greatsword in a scabbard across her back, and she has an ornate dagger in a gemmed sheath at her hip.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad
Amistad here says that you aren't really doing your job as my assistant and route planner,"
"With respect Sister," he refers to the elven young lady with a titled honourific, speaking in elvish.

"I certainly gave no critique of your skills or knowledge. Unless Ma'am Ustasi wants to call me a liar to my face."

Then switching back to common.
It's a days' sail south of here along the coast. The trip is safe, since the waterway is protected from the ocean by an island.
"So we are going to South Port via a barbarian longship, short in draft and long in oar then. Or perhaps I can paddle the distance in my grandfather's canoe?" he is deliberately sarcastic.

"My offer stands. If you would like me and perhaps my itinerant companions to accompany you back to South Port and review your caravan, guarding yourselves and it with all diligence to the Traveler's Rest, it will cost four thaylers a day, starting today.

You can keep the horse."

Amistad uses his lack of Charisma [1d20+1]=20+1=21

He smiles with pearly white teeth.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 pm Amistad
Amistad here says that you aren't really doing your job as my assistant and route planner,"
"With respect Sister," he refers to the elven young lady with a titled honourific, speaking in elvish.

"I certainly gave no critique of your skills or knowledge. Unless Ma'am Ustasi wants to call me a liar to my face."

Then switching back to common.
It's a days' sail south of here along the coast. The trip is safe, since the waterway is protected from the ocean by an island.
"So we are going to South Port via a barbarian longship, short in draft and long in oar then. Or perhaps I can paddle the distance in my grandfather's canoe?" he is deliberately sarcastic.

"My offer stands. If you would like me and perhaps my itinerant companions to accompany you back to South Port and review your caravan, guarding yourselves and it with all diligence to the Traveler's Rest, it will cost four thaylers a day, starting today.

You can keep the horse."

Amistad uses his lack of Charisma [1d20+1]=20+1=21

He smiles with pearly white teeth.
Elaith, who stands within three inches of the barbarian's height, studies Amistad for a long moment. "Indulge me, but what is your experience in these matters? Have you even visited the North Lands before? Have you, from your manner of speech, being from the Islands, ever ridden with a caravan? You ask for four times our wage; why should we pay you that?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Does not indulge her at all, ignoring her question. He is here to report to the caravan master. He faces Ustasi
You ask for four times our wage; why should we pay you that?
"If there was one critique of your assistant and route planner it is she is not very good at mathematics. Perhaps you need to hire me on as your accountant?

Four thaylers a day seems a good investment to secure your merchandise and balance the books."

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm Amistad

Does not indulge her at all, ignoring her question. He is here to report to the caravan master. He faces Ustasi
"If there was one critique of your assistant and route planner it is she is not very good at mathematics. Perhaps you need to hire me on as your accountant?

Four thaylers a day seems a good investment to secure your merchandise and balance the books."
Mirek was right in wagering that there would be a show. Now he starts making bets about whether they'll get tossed out rather than hired. As entertaining as the barbarian is, he has an interesting way of making friends and influencing people.

"To be clear, I'm fine with the offer as extended."
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm Amistad

Mirek was right in wagering that there would be a show. Now he starts making bets about whether they'll get tossed out rather than hired. As entertaining as the barbarian is, he has an interesting way of making friends and influencing people.

Ustasi rises and steps around the table. "We will leaving from the Darkford Docks, Slip Five, at the fourth bell. Be there, ready to travel, if you wish to join us. The pay remains as advertised." With that, the pair leaves though the tavern's rear door, with Elaith casting a last curious look at the three of you as she follows her mistress.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by Eris »

OOC: I'm always one post behind, it seems. :)

After shaking the Caravan Master's hand and saying his piece to Amistad, Aden sits back down and glances over at Mirek and shakes his head. Aden then sits quietly just observing.

When Elaith enters the room, Aden studies her and says her name to himself a couple of times trying to memorize it so he can pronounce it correctly when he addresses her. He continues to think to himself, As for myself, I've shaken the Caravan Master's hand, so I've already agreed to accompany her to South Port. My part of this discussion is over. Mirek said that agreed with him as well, so that is probably settled, too. Arguing with a potential boss and her right hand sure doesn't seem like good way to begin a relationship. I just hope Amistad's truculence doesn't bleed over to me.

Aden crosses his legs and makes a small sigh as he crosses his arms over his chest, "Best to just wait and see what happens for now."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:00 pm
terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:50 pm

Ustasi rises and steps around the table. "We will leaving from the Darkford Docks, Slip Five, at the fourth bell. Be there, ready to travel, if you wish to join us. The pay remains as advertised." With that, the pair leaves though the tavern's rear door, with Elaith casting a last curious look at the three of you as she follows her mistress.
Aden nods when Mirek says he's fine with the offer, it confirms what he thought.

As Ustasi rises, so does Aden, "I'll be there, Caravan Master."

Then as Elaith looks back at the trio, Aden says, "My name's Aden, by the way. It's good to, sort of, meet you, Ma'am." he finishes with a rueful smile.

After the pair leave the room, Aden closes the door where they exited and turns to the other two. "I'm going with them to South Port and will very likely be taking the job, if offered, at 2 thayers a day. I could use the money and the work."

"I think you feel that way as well, yes? Aden says to Merik.

"So, are you joining us Amistad?" Aden cocks his head and stands with his arms crossed over his chest.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad
"Ma'am. Sister, gentlemen."

He bows his head as they leave the room one way and he will leave through the other door and go back to the bar.

It seems she has decided not to negotiate and stick to her 'modus operandi'. If it is a 'take it or leave it' offer, he is not going to cave in to suddenly plead to go and is fine leaving it. If the others want to accept the offer that is their concern.
Amistad perhaps has problems relating to this culture. He has travelled to the GG in North Port only to be told go to South Port. When asked why they couldn't have gone straight to South Port the excuse was 'sailing ships' can't berth in the harbour there, yet Ustasi insists she is catching a sailing ship to that location. That might be a DM slip but whatever, it doesn't make sense to the barbarian. She is not recruiting from North Port, the adverts were recruiting from the Islands. I can understand ships being too deep of draft for a harbour.

Secondly, he feels that Ustasi clearly took what he said out of context to call her aide and infer his criticism which he takes as 'she is lying about me to stir up trouble'. He called her out on that.

Again the 'four times wages' rather than actually doubling might be a slip but Amistad insists that since the advert said arrive here, then he ought to be paid from here, not from there at South Port.

He suggests four thaylers a day. He provided two very good charisma checks which I hoped at least would lead to acceptance or more favourable negotiations. If she wants to come and make him an offer of '3 thaylers a day because that's all we can afford', or '2 thaylers and a horse to keep', that is her perogative to come back with.

But if the 'take it or leave it' expectation is he will journey by sea for another day or so, be fed and at South Port decide if he wants to join up, that is not an offer he will accept. He clearly feels having been asked to arrive here, he has obeyed and should be paid from here for that was the place of recruitment.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pm Amistad

He bows his head as they leave the room one way and he will leave through the other door and go back to the bar.

It seems she has decided not to negotiate and stick to her 'modus operandi'. If it is a 'take it or leave it' offer, he is not going to cave in to suddenly plead to go and is fine leaving it. If the others want to accept the offer that is their concern.
Amistad perhaps has problems relating to this culture. He has travelled to the GG in North Port only to be told go to South Port. When asked why they couldn't have gone straight to South Port the excuse was 'sailing ships' can't berth in the harbour there, yet Ustasi insists she is catching a sailing ship to that location. That might be a DM slip but whatever, it doesn't make sense to the barbarian. She is not recruiting from North Port, the adverts were recruiting from the Islands. I can understand ships being too deep of draft for a harbour.

Secondly, he feels that Ustasi clearly took what he said out of context to call her aide and infer his criticism which he takes as 'she is lying about me to stir up trouble'. He called her out on that.

Again the 'four times wages' rather than actually doubling might be a slip but Amistad insists that since the advert said arrive here, then he ought to be paid from here, not from there at South Port.

He suggests four thaylers a day. He provided two very good charisma checks which I hoped at least would lead to acceptance or more favourable negotiations. If she wants to come and make him an offer of '3 thaylers a day because that's all we can afford', or '2 thaylers and a horse to keep', that is her perogative to come back with.

But if the 'take it or leave it' expectation is he will journey by sea for another day or so, be fed and at South Port decide if he wants to join up, that is not an offer he will accept. He clearly feels having been asked to arrive here, he has obeyed and should be paid from here for that was the place of recruitment.
He might consider going and seeing for himself, especially since he knows nothing of this place. There is nothing to negotiate, as the Caravan Master and Elaith know nothing of Amistad, either.

The incorrect statement about pay was a slip, as I said in another thread post, and wasn't deliberate - the NPCs would have given the correct information. The part about the ships isn't a mistake.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pm Amistad

A character has to be who they are. I look forward to seeing how JR handles it. ;)
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by terrymixon »

Mirek will return to the common room and corral a table, order another ale, and see if either of the others joins him.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

Then, we will negotiate once you see the caravan."
There is nothing to negotiate,
The pay remains as advertised."
it is not Amistad who has refused to negotiate. The advert proposed 2gp per day, apply at the inn.

He has arrived at the requested location and suggested 4gp. I am disappointed his rolls didn't do any more than provoke her 'take it or leave it' offer and walk out the door.

He feels justified in thinking that she should hire him from the tavern here and at least pay him 2gp for the day and sailing to South Port. She verbally said in character, 'we will negotiate' so that means the pay is not fixed. At least that is to his barbarian way of thinking. If she doesn't hire him at South Port, she has at least paid the inconvenience of the extra journey. He is not travelling that far just for bread and cheese.

If a man travelling several hundred miles in response to her advert is not deemed worthy of consideration, he will not push offering his services.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

Mirek will return to the common room and corral a table, order another ale, and see if either of the others joins him.
"It is thirsty work, talking talking. I say what I mean. I mean what I say. If this woman turns her nose at my offer to get better terms for better service, that is her concern.

I will not travel to the other port for this merchant. If I am not worthy of hire now, I will not be then. Is she not a wagon master? Can she not afford to invest in her guards? Or does she conduct her affairs by paying a pittance to drag the dregs to 'come and see' with no guarantee."

He speaks to Mirek and Adan as they are seated. He takes an ale from the bartender and asks him again to explain in regards to the merchants who ply the western Waggoner Road to the Lake of Arrows.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 pm
"It is thirsty work, talking talking. I say what I mean. I mean what I say. If this woman turns her nose at my offer to get better terms for better service, that is her concern.

I will not travel to the other port for this merchant. If I am not worthy of hire now, I will not be then. Is she not a wagon master? Can she not afford to invest in her guards? Or does she conduct her affairs by paying a pittance to drag the dregs to 'come and see' with no guarantee."

He speaks to Mirek and Adan as they are seated. He takes an ale from the bartender and asks him again to explain in regards to the merchants who ply the western Waggoner Road to the Lake of Arrows.
“Who can dispute with a man of convictions? We all must do what feels right. It may be that she is simply bargaining as merchants do. Or she may feel she can offer the lower price and find enough guards of sufficient worth at her price. Who knows?

“For me, getting to the new location and seeing what is there makes the journey worthwhile even if the pay isn’t as much as it might be. What works for me isn’t for everyone and I recognize that.”

He drank some of his ale. “The real money will come from adventuring and this is just a means to an end for me.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by joertexas »

The waiter comes by. "I thought you were going with the Caravan Master."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”