IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taking

The_Wanderer
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taki

#381 Post by ybn1197 »

Nymandus drops his crossbow, grabs his axe and strikes at the burning wight.

Battle Axe: Attack: [1d20] = 14 Damage: [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9

Should have been a "15" to hit. Forgot to add the axe's magical +1 to hit.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#382 Post by The_Wanderer »

Nymandus steps up and buries his golden axe between the wight's shoulder and neck, digging in several inches. There is a high pitched sucking sound as black mist leaches out of the room and dissipates. The wight collapses, dead among the flames.
It actually hit armor class 16, not 15. 14 for the roll, +1 from the axe and +1 for level 3
sirravd

#384 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd decides not to hurl his last dart, instead heading to the edge of combat behind the fighters.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#385 Post by The_Wanderer »

End of Round 2
Mai's muffled exhortations trail away as she is hauled up the stairs. In the meantime, Mirywdd readies himself for combat behind the remaining heavies.

Round 3 The undead keep coming. As you remember, there were a total of six in the well. The first charges through the flames and steps on the remains of the wight, clawing and biting at Nymandus. 2 damage, make a save
The next makes for the bugbear, screaming "TRAITOR! YOU ARE A CREATURE OF CHAOS!
Realized I never gave out Dying Rabbit's HP's:Dying Rabbit HP's: [3d8+1] = 13
5 damage so he is down to 8, needs 2 saves
Save: [1d20] = 3
The fearsome bugbear raises its weapon to strike, only to find its muscles constricting.
The final ghoul exits the well and begins to circle around the treasure vault, avoiding the flames. It is around 40' away.
Round 3, bottom half
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by ybn1197 »

Nymandus brings his axe around to face the fiery ghoul however his muscles fail to respond to his thoughts.

Save vs. Paralysis (12) [1d20] = 9
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#387 Post by tibbius »

Egbald brandishes his mace. The blue dots on his forehead glow. "Back to hell, foul creatures!" he shrieks. Turn undead [2d10] = 15.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#388 Post by The_Wanderer »

Paralysis fills Nymandus' veins as the battle continues around him.
Egbald again channels Law's hatred of the undead. Holy power fills him and the ghouls shift backward. All three ghouls appear to be affected and will draw no closer to the cleric.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#389 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, Cleric

Magrin looses another sling stone at the ghouls, but misses.

[1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#390 Post by tibbius »

"Let's get out of this pit," says Egbald. "I'll come last and hold them back. Do we have any more oil? Will the creatures come out into daylight?"
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#391 Post by The_Wanderer »

I forgot to roll how long they will be turned for...
[3d6] = 10 rounds[
The ghoul paralysis will last [3d6] = 13 turns
I'm actually going to call this combat at this point. At this point it is trivial for Aerik to pincushion the remaining ghouls with arrows before they fall and the two clerics can keep them at bay with nowhere to escape to.
Silence falls on the ruined burial crypt. The smell of burned oil still fills the air as the party regroups in the wood outside alongside a small pile of treasure and three allies rapidly gaining the use of their limbs again. Quellax' skin has taken on a deep gray tint except for around the wound where black tendrils snake along the surface.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#392 Post by tibbius »

Egbald examines Quellax curiously.

After about a minute, he shakes his head. "It is time to build a pyre for our comrade," he says, "before she ... awakes ... and tries to kill us."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brignum Mai

Upon regaining control of her muscles she lifts her blade aloft. "Well, that didn't go quite as I expected, but well done! Let us return and see what we can find!"
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#394 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, cleric

"We had best move quickly and gather wood then". He starts collecting wood and orders Bostrum to help.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#395 Post by tibbius »

Egbald keeps watch over the nascent undead, prepared to try turning it if need be.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by ybn1197 »

tibbius wrote:Egbald examines Quellax curiously.

After about a minute, he shakes his head. "It is time to build a pyre for our comrade," he says, "before she ... awakes ... and tries to kill us."
tibbius wrote:Egbald keeps watch over the nascent undead, prepared to try turning it if need be.
Nymandus stretches his muscles after having his will over them taken from him. Hefting his axe he approaches Quellax. Without a second thought, he brings his axe down on her neck, severing the head from the torso. "No rush now," he absently says walking away.
thirdkingdom wrote:Brignum Mai

Upon regaining control of her muscles she lifts her blade aloft. "Well, that didn't go quite as I expected, but well done! Let us return and see what we can find!"
"I agree, but we do need to tend to Quellax. Give me a hand collecting some brush and kindling and then we can return to the crypt. There must be something down that other well which I would like to see."
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by thirdkingdom »

ybn1197 wrote:
tibbius wrote:Egbald examines Quellax curiously.

tibbius wrote:Egbald keeps watch over the nascent undead, prepared to try turning it if need be.
Nymandus stretches his muscles after having his will over them taken from him. Hefting his axe he approaches Quellax. Without a second thought, he brings his axe down on her neck, severing the head from the torso. "No rush now," he absently says walking away.
thirdkingdom wrote:Brignum Mai

"I agree, but we do need to tend to Quellax. Give me a hand collecting some brush and kindling and then we can return to the crypt. There must be something down that other well which I would like to see."
Brignum Mai

"I also want to see if the names on the well have changed."
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#398 Post by The_Wanderer »

Month 1, Day 22, Afternoon
The Aftermath

The party gathers over the body of their slain companion, maybe not knowing exactly what is happening to Quellax but also not willing to take any chances. Nymandus decides things for the party by decapitating the body with his golden axe. A greasy black liquid seeps out of the wound, leaving a small puddle on the ground. The party builds a small funeral pyre on the rise outside of the crypt and light it.

After a while, the party breaks up and starts to attend to whatever is left in the crypt. It looks like your first pass removed all of what is still valuable from the treasure pit. What remains is decomposing junk. The glitter of precious or semi-precious stones remains in the domed ceiling although, as was noted before, it would take scaffolding to loot them. The floor of the other pit is covered in bones. It is impossible to tell how deep the bones are without doing some digging. Your names remain on the surface of the charnel well although strangely, Quellax's name has been moved to the front of the section with the party's names on it.
So what do you do with this place? It stands fairly close to civilization here but your "job" is just to explore the lands around Bitterpan...of which there is only one more hex remaining now.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#399 Post by tibbius »

"Let's put this behind us," says Egbald. "By the way, is anyone keeping a map?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
sirravd

#400 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd, though not a particularly compassionate man, finds his eyes filling with tears. He had grown to like his henchwoman.

"I'm not mapping, at least," he says.

Return to “Broken Valley (S&W Complete Hexcrawl)”