Ch. 4: Even Deeper Into the Tomb

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 4: Even Deeper Into the Tomb

#281 Post by Zhym »

Odilo speaks the words of his spell as the juggernaut bears down on him. He resists the urge to speak the spell more quickly—a hurried spell is a fizzled spell, he knows. He can only cast the spell and hope it is fast enough.

The juggernaut is almost though the door when Odilo speaks the final syllable. The massive stone elephant slams into an invisible barrier with a thundering crash that echos throughout the tomb! The party is saved!

Skarlos and Bagrin still slumber, but the juggernaut is safely contained behind the powerful mage's force barrier.

For now, at least. Status: Quinn (B13(F7/T8)): 75/78; Urdak (Dwarf F10): 74/75; Bagrin (I5/T11): 44/45; McCloud (F6/MU6/T10): 40/40; Odilo (M11): 44/44; Skarlos (C10): 55/56
Effects: Unseen Servant (Odilo): 1.7 turns remaining; Wall of Force (Odilo): 2.1 turns
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#282 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "My good fellows perhaps we shall venture up the stairs instead? I've managed to contain it for the time being but I suspect it will have a hard time going up stairs. So shall we wake our friends and move one from this room?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by tkrexx »

Hmp. The Dwarf grumbles, not wanting to give away the fact he has no idea what just happened. Zem stairs be onminus... omlemus... Dark. He nods his head for effect.

Whew! Good spell placement!
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by saalaria »

Agreed - nice one GT. So the stairs - out of the frying pan and all that!
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Stirling »

McCloud will pull his comrade up the stairs as fast as he can, with much kicking and slapping as he can get away with, one eye on the elephant bulldozer. "perhaps we need to let it pass by so we can go behind it" advises McCloud
GreyWolfVT

#286 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo looks to McCloud "You know I had not thought of that though it will be a while before my wall disperses. How patient are we all?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Zhym »

McCloud drags Skarlos up the stairs. The darkness at the top of the stairs does not recede as he climbs. Your lights do not penetrate it.

Does McCloud continue into the darkness? And does he bring Skarlos with him?

Status: Quinn (B13(F7/T8)): 75/78; Urdak (Dwarf F10): 74/75; Bagrin (I5/T11): 44/45; McCloud (F6/MU6/T10): 40/40; Odilo (M11): 44/44; Skarlos (C10): 55/56
Effects: Unseen Servant (Odilo): 1.5 turns remaining; Wall of Force (Odilo): 1.9 turns
GreyWolfVT

#288 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Hmm interesting... I don't suppose anyone other than myself can cast spells such as light or remove/dispel magic?" I only ask as I never learned those myself, I just think they might be useful to test a theory upon this darkness."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#289 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Um, is Bagrin still sleeping then? Somebody gonna give the poor guy a nice slap to the face or poor cold water on him, eh? Or is this the kind of magical sleep that has to just wear off? :D
GreyWolfVT

#290 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You won't want Odilo to wake you he has odd methods suck as urinating upon you..... or sending Cyril to peck your face... strange crazy mage.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by tkrexx »

Now that you mention it...

The Dwarf, satisfied other eyes are on the unknown in the darkness, trudges off seemingly toward what everyone else seeks to avoid. C'mon, lil Baggin Gnomen, he gruffly hoists the smallest party member by the collar into the crook of his shield arm and marches back toward the stairs. Needn ya t'shown me more Gnomen words.

Suddenly Urdak barks ahead. Halfn-Elfn Cloud! Humon Skarls! Humon Iloilo! Ja see it? Goin' t' them steps is a slopen! Slopen down. Ya seen a slopen down? Like dis? He gestures in a half-wave indicating a tilt.
Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#292 Post by Mondego »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Odilo "Hmm interesting... I don't suppose anyone other than myself can cast spells such as light or remove/dispel magic?" I only ask as I never learned those myself, I just think they might be useful to test a theory upon this darkness."
"What is your theory? I can cast a spell which is usually effective in banishing magic. Although my own magic may prove too weak if the spell was cast by Acerak himself."
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#293 Post by saalaria »

Hopefully Zhym will allow me to chime in ooc while asleep! Can we all fit on the stairs out of what we expect the elephant's reach is and still be out of the darkness?
GreyWolfVT

#294 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "I think it might at least potentially tell us if it is a magical darkness similar to the light spell most clerical types cast. It is to my understanding that you can cast a reverse of that spell and I am thinking this might potentially be just that. I know wizards and the like can do similar though I again did not learn or study such a spell. Would you be willing to test this theory?"

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#295 Post by Mondego »

Quinn will cast Dispel Magic on the area of darkness.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Zhym »

Urdak tries to waken Bagrin. "C'mon, lil Baggin Gnomen," he says as he gruffly hoists the smallest party member by the collar into the crook of his shield arm and marches back toward the stairs. "Needn ya t'shown me more Gnomen words." Bagrin stays stubbornly asleep, however.

Suddenly Urdak barks ahead. "Halfn-Elfn Cloud! Humon Skarls! Humon Iloilo! Ja see it? Goin' t' them steps is a slopen! Slopen down. Ya seen a slopen down? Like dis?" He gestures in a half-wave indicating a tilt.

Quinn ignores (or can't understand) what the dwarf says and faces the darkness. "Vamoose mumbo jumbo!" he says, while waving the back of his hand in the universal sign for "go away." But his magic is not strong enough to overcome Acererak's, at least on this attempt. The darkness remains.

Status: Quinn (B13(F7/T8)): 75/78; Urdak (Dwarf F10): 74/75; Bagrin (I5/T11): 44/45; McCloud (F6/MU6/T10): 40/40; Odilo (M11): 44/44; Skarlos (C10): 55/56
Effects: Unseen Servant (Odilo): 1.3 turns remaining; Wall of Force (Odilo): 1.7 turns
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#297 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Guess you could try throwing Bagrin into the darkness with a rope tied around his ankle, haul him out and see what happens. :lol: Though I'm not much good for anything but moral support right now, I do wonder if there's not a way past the steamrolling elephant, but that's a potentially very dangerous experiment too. Maybe something could be placed as a physical wedge to keep it from rolling once the wall of force runs out? I know, I know, I'm technically asleep... :mrgreen:
GreyWolfVT

#298 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Well the way I see it we have a few options at this point. Wait for the wall of force to disipate and see if the creature just cannot make it up stairs as I suspect, who knows maybe it does the other way down the hall. We then can see what is on the other end of the hall it was in. Or we can try going up into this darkness like we did the mist in the other room earlier. Lastly we can just go back through all the other halls and see what we can uncover if anything."

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#299 Post by Mondego »

"I might be able to immobilize the juggernaut using magic, making it possible to get around it to the doors on the far end of the hallway," Quinn suggests.

OOC: Either Stone Shape or Transmute Rock to Mud should work to limit it's movement.
GreyWolfVT

#300 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Hmm well that would be interesting to see if you can melt or destroy it's rollers, wheels whatever you want to call them. The thing looks like an elephant on rolling pins to me."

Return to “Party 2”