The God Conscience (Bartholomew Silva)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The God Conscience (Bartholomew Silva)

#221 Post by Grognardsw »

Bartholomew, Cyxeria and X took a shuttle to a few miles west of the town of Hubbarton, which was a mile east from the Xathos Epiphany compound. Hubbarton was a quaint and small community of 10,000, a veritable hamlet compared to the mega-city of Zibylon.

They were picked up by a van from Acme Services and brought to the Acme garage in town. It was a food and general services company. A Syncretic Order driver name Kambel explained the route into the Xathos Epiphany compound. “We service the compound and will drop of real shipments. First at the MCI building on the south side (#3 on the map) and then the villas on the north side (#14 on the map.) You can hop off when you like and do your thing.”

Kambel gave them the beige clothes to blend in. "Contact us on this frequency for pick-up. Any questions?"

The van drove out to the Xathos Epiphany, checked in without trouble at the main gate (to the right of #5 on the map), and made its way to the MCI building.

Map
Go to this page to zoom in on the map: https://images2.imgbox.com/7b/18/nesLqxjU_o.jpeg

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Well Cyxeria - Lets start at the very beginning. #3 it is.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Grognardsw »

The truck pulled up to the dock of the staff cafeteria building and started unloading.

Bartholomew and Cyxeria helped. "No cameras in sight," whispered the synthezoid.

At an opportune time the pair walked off, finding themselves at the juncture of a rear exit outside or a door into the cafeteria.

You are at the westernmost corner of building #3, where the "s" is in "staff."

Compound Map
Go to this page to zoom in on the map: https://images2.imgbox.com/7b/18/nesLqxjU_o.jpeg

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Well, we are in - lets look at building 6. We can pass the pedestrian tunnel and check that out as we go.

What is foot traffic like? Are the vehicles in the motor pool (building #2) a possible alternative means of escape or are they locked away?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Grognardsw »

From his vantage point on the loading dock, Bartholomew observed the foot traffic in the area. It was sparsely busy here at the back of the building. Looking beyond to the lawn there were picnic tables with people eating and talking.

To Bartholomew's right was a motor pool building. The Shepherd saw some open garage doors with vehicles within. He assumed they were closed at night. If a car could be taken, it would still need to get out of the guarded gates.

Finding themselves at the juncture of a rear exit outside or a door into the cafeteria, with Bartholomew expressing no opinion except going to building 6, Cyxeria guided them out the rear exit door. The pair walked east behind the staff cafeteria (#3), lower lounge (#4) and upper lounge (#5). The back of these buildings abutted lawn and patches of woods. They saw a few people and pairs of people walking about for lunch-time strolls. They didn't seem to take note of Bartholomew or Cyxeria.

At the corner of the upper lounge, they circled around to the front for a view of the pedestrian tunnel. The front of the caferia and lounge building was much more busy than the back. People were walking about going in and out of the building for lunch. People smiled at each other, nodded, stopped to chat. Bartholomew and Cyxeria received a few random "hellos" from close passerbys.

The pedestrian tunnel was 10' wide and went under the main east-west road. Many were passing through it.

The Syncretic agents then they turned west onto a road that brought them by the "Tavern" and down to south side of building #6, which was the front of the building. In their intelligence briefing materials, Bartholomew knew this building to be administration and manufacturing.
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Well - Nothing specifically suspicious.

He looks for security systems and for signs that there are armed personnel wandering about...They can always become a source of arms if needed, and are a good barometer of expected trouble.

Assuming that there is nothing specifically off-putting - and that we don't seem to have attracted a gaggle of watchers in human form

OK - Time for stage 1. Shall we?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Grognardsw »

Compound Map

Bartholomew looked about for security cameras and saw one on every roof corner of every building. While there there no armed personnel, the Shepherd occasionally saw grey garbed persons. Grey was the color of security in the color-coded clothing in the compound. If they had weapons, they were small and not seen.

Bartholomew and Cyxeria were in beige clothes, marking them as acolytes. As they approached Building #6, administration and manufacturing, they felt comfortable they were not attracting particular attention from people out-and-about. The camera eye was ever-present. There were many people in the area wearing teal-colored clothing, the mark of administration.

Cyxeria spoke without moving her lips, a disconcerting sight, so as to avoid lip reading via camera. "Not sure now is the time for network penetration. Too many people in the daytime. Let's reconnoiter and make contact with our internal contact to learn latest intelligence. A change of color clothing."

They entered the lobby of the long, wide, three-story building. It was a typical office building lobby with an attendant desk, two elevators, doors to stairs, and a board listing departments and floor numbers.
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Bartholemew follows Cyxeria's lead. He doesn't really have a choice.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Grognardsw »

Cyxeria and Bartholomew examined the office building lobby for a time, noting the departments listed on the information board. The two talked.There are a lot of people about, commented the synthezoid, so clandestine activity at this time of day wasn’t possible. A change of clothes to match the professions working in here would be helpful, or a night time approach with janitorial garb? What do you think?

Next they strolled through the underground walkway to the north side of the compound, then heading east to “The Villas” complex (#14 on map). This was where the Syncretic mole lived, in the “Middle” villa of the three.

This place is like a little village, said Cyxeria, commenting about the friendly people, nice grounds, and peaceful atmosphere.

At the Villa building, they rang apartment #42 hoping to find answers and meaning about the Xathos Epiphany from their spy contact. They were buzzed up and soon found themselves at the door, which was ajar. They strode into the apartment.

“Greetings friends!” a tall, heavy set man said as the Shepherd and synthezoid entered. The door closed.

“I am Randall Garrett. I’m glad our mutual friends brought us together. I trust your journey thus far has been smooth?” He turned on classical music and offered the pair drinks.

Sorry for the delay in postings. Springtime gets busy in RL.
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Bartholomew nods in acknowledgement.

If we are discovered, this poor man will be discovered. I hope he's getting out of here as soon as we leave the building - but he doesn't sound like he is.

Greetings. Smooth so far. I hear you have news. Mind if I look around?

And with that, Bartholomew takes a look around the apartment. What floor is it on? Is the window material breakable as an unexpected exit? Where is the back door? Are we alone? Does the room have a phone? A live internet connection? Finding anything else that could be in use as a bug these days is out as this is a corporate hole and they could have built stuff in.

Sorry - Just paranoid. But it doesn't mean they aren't out there!

And with that, Bartholomew sits to face the door and with at least one alternative exit within easy access.

Well Randal, they seem to be treating you well. How can we help you?
I'm going to be away until 28th May 2022
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Grognardsw »

“Feel free,” Randall said as Bartholomew surveyed the second-floor apartment. The windows, which could be opened, appeared breakable with some effort. There was no back door in the apartment, but the Shepherd had noticed a second exit door to the building at the bottom of the stairs they had come up.

Randall was alone with Cyxeria and Bartholomew. The Syncretic agent observed that there was a phone and a Know terminal in the room, and he knew from the briefing materials that a liver Know connection was typical. He checked around for bugs and didn’t see any.

Randall turned on a radio in the bedroom and television in the living room. “I’m pretty sure the place is not bugged, but perhaps some background noise will make you feel better.”

"How can you help me? Stay alive," said Randall with a smile. "But hopefully I'm here to help you more."

Randall discussed the compound, his general information confirming earlier reports and information gained by other agents. The mole confirmed the location of the computer center where Cyxeria could best execute her data gathering, hacking and virus release.

"People who come here all seem willing. The nature of the name-sake Epiphany is still is a mystery to me. You have to work up to it, receiving knowledge, lesser revelations, and then the big Epiphany when one gets to the top of the pyramid. So to speak."

"The Religious Technology Center (RTC, #16 on the map) is the most top secret of the buildings I've observed in the compound," said Randall. "It could be Shifts, or something else. I don't know."

Mention of the Shift brought back memories of Bartholomew's experience with the black market Shift.

Compound Map
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Sorry for the delay - I seem to have completely missed the notification for this thread!

Well, thank you for help. Any idea where the epiphany may occur? The RTC? And where are the computers where they store books and records? also the RTC?

OK - so the place is secured and I'd assume that your going missing will be noticed. Any idea what happens when someone goes missing?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Grognardsw »

Welcome back.

Compound Map

"The Epiphany is a personal epiphany that members experience after reaching certain milestones," answered Randall Garrett. "Those who have reached the Epiphany never seem to reveal what it is."

"The RTC is a building, and I think it houses the more sensitive data. However, building #6 contains administrative data systems."

Bartholomew remembered briefly visited building #6 (post #227)

"I'm not aware of members going missing. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Perhaps they keep it hush-hush."

The Shepherd wasn't surprised by Randall's comment, given that efforts to turn up kult defectors in Zibylon didn't find any.

"Hopefully I can maintain my mole spy position."
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:33 pm Welcome back.

Compound Map

"The Epiphany is a personal epiphany that members experience after reaching certain milestones," answered Randall Garrett. "Those who have reached the Epiphany never seem to reveal what it is."

"The RTC is a building, and I think it houses the more sensitive data. However, building #6 contains administrative data systems."

Bartholomew remembered briefly visited building #6 (post #227)

"I'm not aware of members going missing. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Perhaps they keep it hush-hush."

The Shepherd wasn't surprised by Randall's comment, given that efforts to turn up kult defectors in Zibylon didn't find any.

"Hopefully I can maintain my mole spy position."
Well if they notice we were here or catch us they may be able to back-track our movements to your apartment. So be very careful. If we get clear we will see about shining a red laser dot through your apartment window onto your wall, from outside, at exactly 10pm for a minute only. Just to reassure you - and no one knows about this except us two.

Anyway, what information and guidance can he give us now we are here. So far, nothing he has said has seemed worth the risk to him or us of our being here.

So, from your experience, when would be the best time to head to data centre or RTC?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Grognardsw »

Randall nodded at Bartholomew’s laser-beam confirmation tactic.

“The RTC building is best approached at night, when it’s empty,” said Randall. “I don’t believe there are human guards, just technology.”

“From what I have heard, there are more mysterious technologies and departments within RTC than in the administrative data center. When I’ve asked people about it, some of the rumors are about ‘transcendent texhnologies’ and Shifts. I’m not sure what those mean, and neither are those who’ve told me. Higher-up stuff.”
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by BackworldTraveller »

OK - Then we wait.

Cyxeria, have you any specific ideas about fooling the security AIs?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Grognardsw »

"We'll have to trust in our safeguards - refraction suits, jammers, data coder, drone bug, and the like," replied Cyxeria. (equipment items referenced in posts #210 and 214)

"We could monitor the building for a day or two to gain further intelligence?"
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The longer we wait, the more risk we place our contacts in

Randal, you have been here for a while - what can you add to the movement patterns about the building?

And then turns to Cyxeria

By the way, I didn't ask if these suites were bugged

Hmmm.

Randal, are there any unexpected access methods to these buildings? Roof Hatches, Drains, Fire-escapes?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Grognardsw »

“From what I’ve seen,” said Randall, “there is a day-staff that keeps regular hours of 8:00-6:00 and no night staff. There may be janitorial at night, I’m not sure. The building I work in does, so probably RTC does.”
Randall turned on a radio in the bedroom and television in the living room. “I’m pretty sure the place is not bugged, but perhaps some background noise will make you feel better.”
“My sensors do not detect any bugs, and I have a sub-sonic interferer running anyway,” Cyxeria said.

“As far as access points, if the RTC is like my building here and my workplace, it will have roof access, front and rear, and windows access,” said Randall. “I’ve heard talk of underground tunnels connecting certain buildings. If so, I imagine that would include the RTC.”

Cyxeria spoke: “Satellite imagery confirms the RTC roof has a regular door and elevator shaft access.”
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by BackworldTraveller »

OK, Night it is. We need enough movement to mean we don't stand out and not so much we won't be seen. The satellites will have picked up movements of people over time.

Cyxeria, can you pick a lull in the flows?

Other than that, time for sleep.

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”