Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

#21 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The Goblin keeps talking as his comrades warily circle the barrel of broom sticks.

"You go now. Leave Goblins alone! Big friends, many friends in cave now! You take treasures and go, Manlings! No fight I! Many dangers for you in Goblin cave!"

GM speak: The Goblins will not initiate a fight here. They insist you leave their caves. If you wish to pry information from them, you may try.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Keehnelf »

I'll leave it to the guy who speaks goblin to get this started.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I speak axe should I try? :twisted:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin says, Relax, friends. We aren't here to fight. We want to learn more about the others in the other caves. The men from the town will be here soon, looking for that caravan. We need to be prepared to defeat them.
Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The Goblins remain wary. The same talker keeps talking.
"You Manlings from town? Not Hurters from hidden caves? Goblins very poor, but strong! Bad Manlings no attack us! Bad Hurters fear us!

"You lucky... my friends, big Goblin warriors rest now. Otherwise, we kill you for food!"
The Goblin hesitates a moment, looking over the adventurers before smiling a toothy, stupid grin.
"Gurzrak tell you about other cave. Then you go away! You look for other Manlings? The Hurters? Many Hurters live on other side of ravine. Put up sign for other Manlings."
The Goblin, presumably named Gurzrak, pauses to count the fingers on both hands. It is a difficult process for him. Once or twice, he looks down ruefully at his feet (or perhaps his toes), but thinks better of whatever he had in mind.
"There are ten Hurters in other cave. Not more than ten. Goblins follow them out of Caves at night. Hurters attack other Manlings along the road. Take things, Manlings from trader wagons. Many good foods and shinies to be taken!

"Goblins go out to take, use broken wagons for wall... to keep out scary Dead things at night. Scary Dead things come from other caves... stinky Dead things! You no sleep outside at night! Dead things walk, eat you!

"Gurzrak also know good secret. There is special cave next to Goblin cave. Hidden, many trees hide cave. Pool of water inside. Hurters come, dump shiny treasures into pool for hiding... but Goblins know! Goblins smart, see all that happens in Caves.

"You go outside, walk this side of ravine towards many trees... find big cave with pool inside. Many treasure from Hurters! Leave poor Gurzrak alone, or Gurzrak will yell for warriors to wake up! Fight Manlings from town!"
GM Voice: Since this is a big speech from the Goblin, I hid it in spoiler tags. If you have Goblin-wise or otherwise feel a special bond with Goblins, feel free to read what he says. Otherwise, I'll leave it up to sulldawga to relate it to you in a characterful way.

Okay, this is the end of the line for the Goblins. They refuse to say more. One or two of them pull the "broomsticks" out of the barrel that they are standing around... the broomsticks happen to be crude Spears. While they do not appear to be eager to fight, their patience for unwanted Adventurers in their home turf has reached their limit.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers
Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by Simon »

I happily cannot comprehend their vile speech, but I see clearly enough their intent. What our move Moradin?

As the Goblins pull the spears from the barrels, Ahmad will calmly draw his mace and say a quick prayer to the Nine Eye'd One.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)
GreyWolfVT

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris

looks a bit restrained wanting to attack but waiting patiently on Moradin. He looks to the paladin and asks "They look ready enough for a fight but scared at the same time. What is out move Moradin?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin turns to his friends and quickly whispers, They claim only to have followed some evil men to the ambush to get wagon parts. They need to build blockades to stop the Undead nearby. I think they can help us.

The paladin jams the point of his two handed sword in the dirt and begins to gesture with his now free hand. He's speaking to all of the Goblins, not just Gurzrak.

Friends, I will be honest with you. We are here for the Hurters. They cannot continue to prey on the manlings from the town. And soon, if you stay here, you will be treated like the Hurters will be treated. Men will hunt you down and kill you. I don't want that to happen. I think we should be allies.

The Hurters don't help you at all! They make you give them the treasure. You said it yourself, you're poor. They don't even help you with the Scary Dead Things! You have to protect yourself. That's no way to treat allies. Help us kill the Hurters and, in return, we'll help you destroy the Scary Dead Things.

Convince Crowd conflict? I wanted to do Trick but we don't have anyone with Manipulator.
Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Gurzrak strokes his chin, and says:
"You wish talk to Goblins? Gurzrak not know if you liar or friend. You wait here. Wait for Goblin warriors. Wait for Bree-Yark Chief.

"Gurzrak go waking the Chief, and many many Goblin warriors so you Manlings no hurt I. Gurzrak go get Chief, go get warriors, and then we talk. Maybe we not kill you today, Manlings. Maybe we talk.

"Now you wait here, Manling. Gurzrak goes to get Chief, then maybe we talk. By fire-eyes of Maglubiyet, Gurzrak swears it as truth."
At the end of his speech, Gurzrak's comrades pluck spears from the barrel and take up positions in front of the passageway leading further into the Goblin caves. Gurzrak himself disappears down the tunnel, presumably to gather his allies and his Chief to talk with you.

GM Voice: Okay, I'll give you a challenge, but it makes no sense to talk to Gurzrak if you want to hammer something out with the Goblins. This doesn't mean a Convince conflict with the Chief won't end in violence, however... or that Gurzrak might not be lying to you at this moment... but I have some ideas to ratchet up the stakes, thanks to your Beliefs & Goals :twisted:
Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Q.Q Elf »

GM Voice: Okay, enough time to think better of your choices...

After some waiting, the situation clearly changes when a throng of 6 more Goblins enter the room. The two larger newcomers carry spears, and a lot of generally surly attitude.

The four smaller newcomers are overburdened with assorted things. Two of them carry an enormous carpet, rolled into a bulky bundle. They unroll it more or less in the center of the room, where it occupies a 10 foot by 10 foot square. It is a fabulous old Elvish design - rich in blacks, purples, and navy blues. The central image (in silver thread) is a stylized representation of the constellation of the Goddess of Creation, whose name has long been lost to even the Elves and is only remembered through images.

Another Goblin drags an old wooden chair to the edge of the carpet. To the back of the chair, the Goblins have nailed a crude image of one of their gods (presumably Maglubiyet). In the eye sockets of their icon, the Goblins have mounted 2 dark red gemstones. The heavy chair is itself of Mannish style and make, and is otherwise unremarkable.

The fourth of the Goblins carries a large tome. The cover is spattered in blood and smudged with Goblin filth, but the silver lettering is clearly Elvish. It is a copy of the Archive of Quenteli, the first book of Elven laws.

GM Voice: Okay, must go off and do things in the real world, but I need to get the Goblin Chief into the room... feel free to admire his furnishings in the meantime.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh, I see who we're testing first here, hehe. :)

Erinas sets her jaw firmly but says nothing at the arrival of the goblins. She is determined to discover what sort of creature this goblin "chief" is--clearly he cannot be wholly debased if he trusts in the laws of the ancient elves, but perhaps blasphemy will be mixed in as well and need some correction, by word or by deed.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by sulldawga »

This could go very well if Erinas is the only one who can read the Book. Assuming they believe you're telling the truth about what you're reading.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Keehnelf »

Good thing Persuade is my social grace!
GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris doing his best to remain self restrained twirls his axe in his hands not sure what to make of what is going on. "I sure hope whatever yer doin' works out well fer us Marodin." not liking the scene of the new goblins added to the scene and whats all this elvish stuff? He looks ready for battle but trying very hard to hold himself back.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin whispers, We can't fight everyone Horris. And I haven't seen enough to condemn these goblins just yet. I know enough about their race to know they are often pawns in a larger game. If we're to clean out these caves, we will need help.

And who knows? These elvish relics may be a good sign that they will be open to the teachings of the Lords of Light.
Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Five more large Goblins stride into the room. These ones are dressed in soot-stained studded leather armor, and bear crude wooded shields. All five of them wear swords at their sides. They take their place behind the chair, which is located at one side (closest to the far passageway) of the carpet.

Behind them walks the Goblin Chieftain. His filthy grey robe may have once been white. Under the tattered grey robes, he wears a shirt of gleaming silver mail. In the Elven fashion, he wears a wreath of leaves and vines around his head, except that the leaves have mostly turned yellow, and occasionally fall off & onto his "finery". Like his bodyguards, the Chieftain wears a sword at his side. In his hands is a silver-shod staff, with the icon of the Lords of Light at its tip. There are sockets for three gemstones (representing the Past, the Present, and the Future in the iconography of the Lords of Light)... except that two of the sockets are empty, with the middle socket still holding a dark red gemstone.

Slightly behind the Chieftain is his Cupbearer, holding what looks to be a Dwarf skull with the top sawed off and transformed into a goblet. The skull-goblet holds a dark red liquid of some kind (most likely wine).

Gurzrak is nowhere to be seen.

When the Chief sits in his chair, the Cupbearer stands off to the Chief's right, and the book-bearer stands to the Chief's left-hand side. It is clearly in some sort of imitation of the Courts of Elves and Men. However, how much of that is for appearances and how much is simple imitation - it is impossible to determine at this time.

Once seated upon his chair, at the edge of the carpet, the Goblin Chief begins to speak.
"You, intruders in my Halls! As you can see, I, Zlatkul, am King of all Caves, blessed by Maglubiyet, ruler of all Goblins, Troll-kin, defeater of Manlings.

"If I, Zlatkul, King of all Caves, wished to kill you, and shit out your bones, I could have it done! I, mightiest of all Goblins! But I am strong, and well fed by man-flesh. So I will listen to your pleas.

"My servants say you offer to defeat the Hurters! And the Dead things! What have you to grant to I, the great Zlatkul?"
At the end of his speech, he leers at Erinas in a rather unwholesome way.

GM Voice: Okay, we are entering into a Conflict. As a Convince conflict, my Goblin Chief's intent is to make the party recognize the greatness of Zlatkul, King of all Caves, ruler of all Goblins, and provide him with tribute before you go off and clear out one of the other Caves in his name.

I think your intent is to have Zlatkul offer up some help in clearing out the Caves... but feel free to restate. He may even let you drink from his cup!

In any case, it's time to set up the Conflict. Figure out who is the "Conflict Captain", then the Captain will assign roles & roll disposition.

On the Goblin side, for the Convince argument, it will be the Chief and his 5 bodyguard/advisors.

Or, if I've pushed enough buttons in the group, his could go into a different sort of Conflict if you wish.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

Man, that goblin is pure bull#$%#^&.

OK, so...Erinas has a complex look on her face.

I want to make a strong start, and here's my thoughts about how to play this. I want to start an Intimidation (Convince Crowd) Conflict with this goblin mob, based on Orator, to shame him into recognizing how far from the true path he has strayed according to the traditions he has "adopted". The general idea is to rely on my singing and remembering nature to call upon the histories and codes of my people as laid out in the book he's got his filthy minions clutching. I would volunteer to lead the charge as conflict captain. That means if it's Will-based it gives me 4 base plus 4 dice disposition, and folks can chip in with their Will to support as well for a total of 7 dice plus 4 base. Since the goblin minions are likely more easily swayed than the chieftain, this is probably an easier path than either strength of arms or challenging the chieftain head-on.

Thoughts?
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by sulldawga »

I am fine with Erinas taking the lead. I think it makes sense to have Marodin participate as he has Orator 4. And he wants that staff back.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh dang, Orator 4 eliminates the need for me to go all Nature-y. I guess I still could do that in place of an Orator action during the conflict. And Marodin's Will is probably 5, right? That would give us a stronger shot if he took the lead.
Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Q.Q Elf »

GM Voice: Well, you all were saying it was easy so far, so it was about time for me to ratchet up the intensity.

So what is your intent? You may get him to return the staff of the Lords of Light. The other part is less concrete for me. What do you want from him if he acknowledges Elven law here?

He may have set himself up as a stylized form of an Elven Lord (having been a "guest" in the presence of the Elves at one time, perhaps 20 years ago)... but his understanding of Elven ways is limited, as is his ability to read ancient Elvish.

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”