Maximillian Arikas' and Professor Perryton's start

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Maximillian Arikas' and Professor Perryton's start

#21 Post by Rukellian »

Mr. Arikas nods his head in approval as things seem to be coming to a close. "Well, gentleman, this meeting is now at a close. Thank you for your time Professor Perryton; it's always a pleasure having you over." With another courteous nod, he shows both his son and the guest to the door as his smartphone starts to ring.

As the two are about to leave, they manage to overhear some of Joseph's conversation, a muffled voice beind the door but still clear enough to those close by. "I hope this is important enough to have interrupted my schedule today. I- what? The warehouse you say, a break-in. SHIT! Cover ups like these are never easy to clean. Yes yes, I will arrange the necessary paperwork. Reschedule the demolition, give them a few days. Not enough TIME?! Do they even realize who is pulling the strings around here; who do you think allowed them the luxury of... you know what, forget about it. It's their problem now. For all intents and purposes, I've never heard of them, and that is that." He hangs up.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Pulpatoon »

Perryton shows no signs of having heard anything untoward as he makes his final goodbyes to Maximillian.

He returns to the University, arranges for enrollment papers to be sent, for a desk to be cleared in the grad student office, and to reserves use of the athletic field, tomorrow. He then turns to his voluminous files and begins digging up everything he has on demigod lineages generally, and the Arikas family specifically. He reads until three in the morning, and then sleeps for three hours (a combination of old-man insomnia and superhuman stamina).

The next day, the Professor is waiting on the field with an anemometer (for measuring wind speeds), several hundred pounds of weights brought over from the gym, a bulldozer, a rubix cube and some other puzzles, a pneumatic gun that shoots ping-pong balls, a set of surgical scalpels, two folding chairs, a thermos of coffee laced with brandy, and a pumpernickel bagel with whitefish salad.

He unfolds a chair in the middle of the field, sits to eat the bagel and drink some coffee, and waits for Maximillian to show up.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote: The next day, the Professor is waiting on the field with an anemometer (for measuring wind speeds), several hundred pounds of weights brought over from the gym, a bulldozer, a rubix cube and some other puzzles, a pneumatic gun that shoots ping-pong balls, a set of surgical scalpels, two folding chairs, a thermos of coffee laced with brandy, and a pumpernickel bagel with whitefish salad.

He unfolds a chair in the middle of the field, sits to eat the bagel and drink some coffee, and waits for Maximillian to show up.
:lol: oh, this will be fun! I wish I could see the look on Maximillian's face when he enters the field and sees all of this. Also, this will be good practice for you guys in making rolls using the master table and Rank Value systems.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#24 Post by mordechiyoel »

The Professor did not have to wait long.
"Boo !" came a voice directly behind the Professor.
Standing almost on top of him was Max.
He just appeared out of thin air.

"No caviar, Professor ?" Max asked with a wide smile
"And what is all that ?" he jerked his head towards the various implements all over the field.

Max is in a black gucci t shirt and black gucci shorts. A pair of Nike Air Mags on his feet.
http://www.nicekicks.com/2013/06/06/nik ... ag-custom/
Last edited by mordechiyoel on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Pulpatoon »

Are we a little out of sync with each other, at this point? Did that last message occur before we left your father's office? Or have you met the Professor at the athletic field?
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#26 Post by mordechiyoel »

OOC: I sent that message in reply to the Professor's question over a day ago.. so weird..
that was in the office.. so to make things easier, I will delete it and carry on from the current post..
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rukellian »

mordechiyoel wrote:OOC: I sent that message in reply to the Professor's question over a day ago.. so weird..
that was in the office.. so to make things easier, I will delete it and carry on from the current post..
That is pretty weird. I've never heard of such a delayed post before... has this happened in other forums?
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by mordechiyoel »

OOC:
maybe it was an issue on my end.. anyhow, I will take care of it and keep on track :)
All fixed and we can move forward now !

Cheers,
Malcolm
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Pulpatoon »

"Just a few things I thought might come in handy. We'll see."

The Professor looks around, sniffs the air, prods the earth with his toe as if testing its firmness. "Would you be so kind as to explain your method of arrival? Not just how it was achieved—Invisibility? Extraordinary speed? Teleportation?—but also your experience. What did it feel like during transit?"

"Your father also mentioned some sort of a... shield? projected at a time a danger. An aegis, if you will. What else? Do you have visions? Prophetic dreams? Do you hear voices from the clouds?"
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#30 Post by mordechiyoel »

Pulpatoon wrote:"Just a few things I thought might come in handy. We'll see."

The Professor looks around, sniffs the air, prods the earth with his toe as if testing its firmness. "Would you be so kind as to explain your method of arrival? Not just how it was achieved—Invisibility? Extraordinary speed? Teleportation?—but also your experience. What did it feel like during transit?"

"Your father also mentioned some sort of a... shield? projected at a time a danger. An aegis, if you will. What else? Do you have visions? Prophetic dreams? Do you hear voices from the clouds?"
"Slow down Professor," Max chuckled. "It was teleportation, as to how it was achieved, I basically think myself in a place that I have been or seen and I can feel myself move through the air instantly to where I want to go." Max walked around to face the Professor. *Amusing guy* Max thought to himself. "Yes, when we were attacked by the helicopter, I somehow deflected the bullets," he answered the Professor.

He sat down in one of the chairs. "How does it feel ? it feels like I am taking a step and the air simply moves me, almost like a warm breeze," he smiled.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Pulpatoon »

Perryton takes notes. "Breeze... air movement. Yes, yes. 'Teleportation,' you see, describes the effect, but not the mechanics. You mention the sensation of air, which, I theorize, is going to be something of a motif with you, um, abilities. It is possible that air is the medium by which you traverse the distance from one spot to another. I propose a test of the matter."

Perryton sets down his coffee and hefts the ping-pong gun. "Do you see this line on the field? I'd like you to stand on that far side of it. I will fire a steady stream of ping pong balls directly along the line. I'd you to transport you self to that spot on the other side while I am fireing. If there is even a momentary change in the air currents during your disappearance, the trajectory of the ping pong balls will register it. Ready?"

It is, of course, up to either mordechiyoel or Rukellian whether or not this test reveals anything.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rukellian »

Pulpatoon wrote:Perryton takes notes. "Breeze... air movement. Yes, yes. 'Teleportation,' you see, describes the effect, but not the mechanics. You mention the sensation of air, which, I theorize, is going to be something of a motif with you, um, abilities. It is possible that air is the medium by which you traverse the distance from one spot to another. I propose a test of the matter."

Perryton sets down his coffee and hefts the ping-pong gun. "Do you see this line on the field? I'd like you to stand on that far side of it. I will fire a steady stream of ping pong balls directly along the line. I'd you to transport you self to that spot on the other side while I am fireing. If there is even a momentary change in the air currents during your disappearance, the trajectory of the ping pong balls will register it. Ready?"

It is, of course, up to either mordechiyoel or Rukellian whether or not this test reveals anything.
Before I unspoil my one comment on this, I want to check with mordechiyoel on this and get his approval, considering that we are talking about his powers and how they work.
Through this test, Perryton can determine that Maximillian's Teleportation is limited to air flow and currents in particular. The ping pong balls that were fired, will register the change in air flow/current, showing that someone or something was riding that same air current. The speeds of this form of travel are so fast that it is mistaken to be instantaneous, a form of teleportation. There is a drawback to this form of travel, however, specifically because it relies on air currents/flow. Bonus fortune points to the person who can guess what this is. It's a very realistic drawback, something akin to flames if looked at from one perspective.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignore this exchange if Mordy vetoes the airflow idea.

Perryton scribbles in his notebook. "Very good to know. It places some limitations on your power, of course. Air flow can be disrupted, which would impede your travel. You would not be able to cross vacuum, or through an airtight space, and if you were underwater, you would inevitably move upwards. That is good to know before going to Lost Gorillapolis. The benefit is that is will surely be less detectable than true transdimensional teleportation, which is extraordinarily disruptive on a number or wavelengths."

"I notice that your personal effects are transported with you. Let us see how far that can be extended. How many of those weights could you take with you? Let us begin with the five pound weight, and work progressively upwards. Could you safely take another living being? Could you take the bulldozer?"
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#34 Post by mordechiyoel »

Pulpatoon wrote:Ignore this exchange if Mordy vetoes the airflow idea.

Perryton scribbles in his notebook. "Very good to know. It places some limitations on your power, of course. Air flow can be disrupted, which would impede your travel. You would not be able to cross vacuum, or through an airtight space, and if you were underwater, you would inevitably move upwards. That is good to know before going to Lost Gorillapolis. The benefit is that is will surely be less detectable than true transdimensional teleportation, which is extraordinarily disruptive on a number or wavelengths."

"I notice that your personal effects are transported with you. Let us see how far that can be extended. How many of those weights could you take with you? Let us begin with the five pound weight, and work progressively upwards. Could you safely take another living being? Could you take the bulldozer?"
"Professor, I thought the same thing, so I jumped into the house pool. While there is oxygen in water, I was able to create a skin of air around my body. I stripped down and put a bathrobe on and before jumping in, focused on another skin to cover my clothes. Guess what ? no water around me and my bathrobe was dry !" Max shared, the Professor's exuberance infecting him. "I believe that not only can I control the air around me in many ways, I can create it !"

Max gave the Professor a wide smile. "Forget the weights !" he said as he grabbed the professor.
*WHOOSH* In the next heartbeat, Max and the Professor were on the other side of the field.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Pulpatoon »

Perryton starts visibly, but quickly collects himself."Fascinating. Perhaps a little warning next time? Hmm. Care to give the bulldozer a try?"

"As for creating winds, I suspected as much. hence, the anemometer."
The Professor points to a metal whirly-gig sort of device. "Would you mind directing a current of air towards it? Begin at a comfortable level, and then let's see how far you much force you can generate."
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by mordechiyoel »

Max cracked his neck and then cracked his fingers.
He placed his hands on the bulldozer and... nothing.
Neither he nor the bulldozer moved.
He squinted his eyes and the strain was visible on his face, yet nothing happened.
"Damn," he said as he punched the bulldozer. The Professor noticed a spherical indent
on the bulldozer from where he punched it, yet it did not move.

He stepped away from the bulldozer and focused on the next task.
He stood, facing the device, and air began to circulate from him. It moved slowly and then began to
pick up, 10 mph, 20 mph, 40 mph... the turf began to vibrate as the air speed picked up.. 60 mph, 70 mph..
clumps of sod began to fly away from Max.. 100 mph, 120 mph.. a rush of sound increased as the air speed
picked up. The device began to shake quickly, almost rattling. Max looked at the professor, who just nodded.
130 mph, 135 mph, 140 mph.. and once Max hit 150 mph, equivalent to a class 4 hurricane, the device burst apart.
Suddenly the air just stilled as Max lost his concentration. "Whoops, sorry Doc !" Max shrugged his shoulders.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

"Not to worry, lad. These things happen in the course of scientific inquiry. We'll just put that down as 'Tornado-Class Winds,' shall we?" The Professor notes this in his notebook, and, under his breath, quotes, "Calm and serene he drives the mighty blast, and pleas'd the Almighty's orders to preform, rides the whirlwind, and directs the storm."

He closes his notebook with a lively snap, looks up and says, "I wonder if the aegis you summoned during the helicopter incident was a form of manipulated wind as well? Shall we test your level of control with it? Could you perhaps lift the bulldozer?"

Should Max lift the bulldozer, Perryton will ask him if he can turn turn the key in the ignition and operate its controls while keeping it airborne. If he succeeds at this, the Professor will shoot him in the face with a ping pong ball to test his concentration. Should the bulldozer drop at any point, the Professor will subtly use his own powers to make sure it lands gently (replacing an anemometer is one thing, but bulldozers are expensive).
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rukellian »

A standard 953D Caterpillar bulldozer weighs 34,381 lbs., or around 17 tons, while a Komatsu D575A-3 SD bulldozer weighs 152,600 lbs., or roughly 76 tons; please keep this in mind when you decide to make use of your air control to lift the bulldozer. Considering you only have a Rank Value of 30 in it right now... we have to be realistic now when playing as super heroes (boy that sounds silly :D )
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#39 Post by mordechiyoel »

Rukellian wrote:A standard 953D Caterpillar bulldozer weighs 34,381 lbs., or around 17 tons, while a Komatsu D575A-3 SD bulldozer weighs 152,600 lbs., or roughly 76 tons; please keep this in mind when you decide to make use of your air control to lift the bulldozer. Considering you only have a Rank Value of 30 in it right now... we have to be realistic now when playing as super heroes (boy that sounds silly :D )
OOC: Yup, already googled it.. that is why Max couldn't move the bulldozer earlier. His teleportation is only 10 tons and his air control is only 1 ton.. :)
mordechiyoel
Scout
Scout

#40 Post by mordechiyoel »

Pulpatoon wrote:"Not to worry, lad. These things happen in the course of scientific inquiry. We'll just put that down as 'Tornado-Class Winds,' shall we?" The Professor notes this in his notebook, and, under his breath, quotes, "Calm and serene he drives the mighty blast, and pleas'd the Almighty's orders to preform, rides the whirlwind, and directs the storm."

He closes his notebook with a lively snap, looks up and says, "I wonder if the aegis you summoned during the helicopter incident was a form of manipulated wind as well? Shall we test your level of control with it? Could you perhaps lift the bulldozer?"

Should Max lift the bulldozer, Perryton will ask him if he can turn turn the key in the ignition and operate its controls while keeping it airborne. If he succeeds at this, the Professor will shoot him in the face with a ping pong ball to test his concentration. Should the bulldozer drop at any point, the Professor will subtly use his own powers to make sure it lands gently (replacing an anemometer is one thing, but bulldozers are expensive).
"Unfortunately it is too heavy, I can not teleport it nor move it, with physical strength or telekinesis.." Max said with a frown. "I have been successful with a few people simultaneously and small objects, yet honestly I have not tried to push it past a few hundred pounds," Max answered.

Return to “Rebirth of Power: a 4c system game”