Law of the Gun OOC

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Law of the Gun OOC

#21 Post by jemmus »

For any hits, you'll also need to roll for Wound Location and Wound Severity (p.38). Since the range is Point Blank, you can move the Wound Location by your full Pistol skill number.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by jemmus »

I promise we're going to get to some story after we get through all of this crunchy combat stuff! :) TBH, I wasn't expecting it to happen right off at the very start of the game.
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Bluetongue »

Having posted the Careful Shot I am sticking with that for my Shoot-out Turn action but I wanted to see if my understanding of the play is correct. For example, gun drawn already, Sebastian could hipshot less accurately on count 2-4-6, using the following macro:

Sebastian: hipshot vs 18/4 Co-or +Pistol 2, +4 point blank = 10 or less to hit: [1d20]=8[1d20]=20[1d20]=15

using a 'fast' speed pistol with no modifier to wound. So that hits and wounds Cowboy X on count 2, fumbles count 4, misses count 6.

Is that correct?
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by jemmus »

Sorry all, I had quite a day, and don't trust my mental power to sort out a first-ever shootout turn accurately. But will do it soon.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by jemmus »

Keep up the good RP, guys!
We don't know yet whether the guests at Hoffman's will form into a traditional old school "party" or not. We only know that they're all in San Marcos, Texas, and they're locals of this town. And we also know that they will probably all need to make some money before long. And the most money around here is in Austin (20 miles northeast) and San Antonio (65 miles southwest). Ipso facto (as some lawyer or judge might say later in the game), they are probably intending to get to one of those locations. Or to see what happens along the way to getting there.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ateno »

I vote that the GM poll for us, if we are holding up the party due to forgetting to post same or absence.

That should speed up things.

Anyone else?

Eric
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

That works for me.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Bluetongue »

I think Sebastian has fired 6 shots, no? One for whiskey bottle, two shots (both hits) during the longer 6-second combat round on Cowboy 2, one shot at Cowboy 6 (mortal wound) is four. Two left for changing targets and shooting, one dud, one miss.
Yes, my bad. I think I was reviewing my posted Careful Shot action and then we used the hip shots. So rather than stand and fire blanks.

With my dagger in hand and folk at point blank range, can I stab? You posted the cowboys could not brawl or grapple during a shootout turn though they were in PB range. So rather than taking 36 seconds to reload my pistol could I:

Stab someone shooting at me?
Throw my dagger at someone?
Evade by diving over the bar?

Edited:
Reading Boot Hill pdf as I post. Page 43 'Sequencing' states a character may do one brawling attack whenever he could do a Careful Shot (so 1 attack on count 6 in a shootout turn). Which seems to answer my questions above.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by jemmus »

I think you're right, you can brawl on count 6. Knives can be thrown.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by jemmus »

We've started out fists flying, guns blazing, and learning Boot Hill's crunchy-ish combat rules live-fire. Pretty alright, I'd say! :) Tools learned for future consideration and application.

But that's just one dimension of the game. Most of it will be not in Combat or Shootout turn scale. It will be in regular moving around and saying what your PC is doing posting scale. All of the main attributes of Strength, Observation, Coordination, Stature and Luck will be important there. As will your PCs's work skills. I'd recommend knowing what skills your character has and using them.

Lastly, I'd say that this is the Wild/Old West and not a traditional D&D-like environment. You may or may not end up in a party exploring places and fighting attacking NPCs. Your characters are all humans in Texas 1873 around horses, cows, coyotes, rattlesnakes, and other people of all types to deal with. Money, the law, no law, the bad weather, too much water or more likely not enough water, etc. Of course, it's entirely possible that the strangers at Hoffman's could all end up in the same predicament at the same time and need each other's help and become compadres in the end. Such situations are common for travelers in Texas. And in the Indian Territory, the New Mexico territory, and beyond....

The only thing for certain is you got no jobs, no land, and you're going to need some money before long. Steady money would be even better. :)
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Bluetongue »

Well some rancher might be a few cowpokes down so that might cover a couple of us.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by jemmus »

I'm going to post this from The Wizards of the Coast's DriveThruRPG Boot Hill 3E page.

We (Wizards) recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website does not reflect the values of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial, and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

I don't anticipate having any issues with "depictions" in this game. But certain historical things are unavoidable and they're going to come up. Examples are in some posts I just posted in the In Without Shooting (Paladin) thread. The goal is only to try to put the PCs into the game world, which is Texas and the Old West of 1873. I don't know how to do that without having characters having been involved in the Civil War, the current Anglo-American vs. Comanches and Kiowa wars, such other things of the times. If players ever feel offended by something, please let me know by PM. There's probably some workaround that can be found. The idea is to for everybody to have fun, after all. And enjoying playing their characters in Old West 1873. And not get prematurely gunned down and die of old age in a bed with their boots off.

And maybe build a reputation (Stature), empire (power, dollars, Stature), pacify and establish peaceful law and order for the ordinary folk of some town, county or area (again, Stature, and ?), or a notoriety as a fearless and temporarily cash-flush outlaw. There are also options for Ranger service, professional gambling, trail driving, prospecting, etc., etc.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by jemmus »

Sorry if I confused anyone. I got interrupted and couldn't post the potentially discomforting post. Doing that now.
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Bluetongue »

No problem.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by jemmus »

Sorry all, I see that my last post (composed in sections on a phone, while with no access to my man cave and my PC) had some plot holes. It's revised and fixed.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, for the delay posting, had unexpected RL come up. Will post this evening.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by jemmus »

Sorry for the delay with the last GM post. I had it almost done the day before, but apparently the US Save Draft feature didn't work. I had to draft it again. My posting rate should pick up, now that there aren't combat actions to do and track.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by ateno »

I will be at Walt Disney until the 22nd, I will still check in, but unable too respond quickly, please move along as needed. Eric
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

I am heading into the woods for the weekend. Please feel free to NPC my character. I will be back Monday night. Have a great weekend everyone.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by jemmus »

Have fun guys!
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”