The Secret Base of Iuz

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Secret Base of Iuz

#21 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Just before they initiate their assault of the cave or the house, Kranston gathers everyone into a huddle and recites a little extemporaneous battle song in low tones to get them "pumped."

Orcs in houses. Orcs in caves.
Every one a gnarly knave.
All unwatching, unexpecting.
Such as us to be so brave.

Sneaking in we bared our steel.
Whipped the curs and made them heel.
All a-sudden, though unready,
Suddenly their woe was real.

[Jaunty chorus]
Oh! The orcs were unsuspecting.
Our blades were intersecting.
Their innards came out-spilling.
Their wrongs we were correcting.
Ooooh! Their wrongs we were correcting.

This should give us some +1 bonuses to attack for a few rounds...
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Monsieur Rose »

:D
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego shakes his head.

"We didn't get too close without proper back-up. I think we should all go back there together for a closer look. A sleep spell should come in very handy if the back entrance is only covered by a few of them. They didn't appear to be on high alert in any way, so lets use that for our game plan and go see how many are at home."

The ranger leads the way if the plan is agreeable to the others.
Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#24 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr smirks…Yes, we only saw one filthy creature and it was relieving itself! I’m pretty sure that it didn’t know it was being watched!!!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by hedgeknight »

Which way gang? Back door cave entrance or through the mining town atop the hill? I feel a wandering monster roll coming on. :twisted:
Great tune, Chubby!
:D
Winter is coming...
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Back out and swing around to the back door. Watching to see how many are at the entrance.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Much more comfortable now that the others are back, Cassius nods along with the back door plan.

"Lead the way." The archer motions for others to lead while he scans the trees for threats.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego suddenly feels the need to repeat himself.

"We didn't get too close without proper back-up. I think we should all go back there together for a closer look. A sleep spell should come in very handy if the back entrance is only covered by a few of them. They didn't appear to be on high alert in any way, so lets use that for our game plan and go see how many are at home."

The ranger leads the way if the plan is agreeable to the others.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by hedgeknight »

Once a consensus is reached, the group follows Montego and Muldgarr to the back entrance they found in the side of the hill. The cave seems unguarded at the moment. There is no movement on the outside, nor noises detected from within. There is, however, a smell coming from the cave mouth once they are close enough. It is the smell of Orcs.

cave entrance.jpg
cave entrance.jpg (102.44 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Actions?
Marching order please > from the looks of it, this will be single file for now...
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego calls everyone into a huddle and whispers.

"I will go in first if you like, but it would be nice if we had a way to hide ourselves or at least the noise we will make as we enter."

"It might also be important to have a spell ready that will take several of them out at once."

The huge ranger looks around on the ground, trying to get an idea of how many monsters they will be dealing with inside. He looks for worn paths that might indicate the most well used trails.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

He looks at the opening and back at Adel. "Single file it is. It will most likely be dark just inside if that's a problem for some.." He lays a hand on Montego. "I'll be right behind you. Once we get through and it opens up, hopefully, we spread out and regroup."

He sighs. "If we get attacked as we enter from the light, I'll let you make the call whether to charge or retreat."

Cassius pulls his bow and prepares to enter.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:07 pm Montego
The huge ranger looks around on the ground, trying to get an idea of how many monsters they will be dealing with inside. He looks for worn paths that might indicate the most well used trails.
Examining the area outside the entrance, Montego notes a worn path threatened by a large patch of stinging nettles. The path leads down the hill and toward what looks like a small creek, which can be heard burbling in the background. There are several sets of booted footprints, as well as the unmistakable prints of wolves.
Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:46 pm Cassius
He looks at the opening and back at Adel. "Single file it is. It will most likely be dark just inside if that's a problem for some.." He lays a hand on Montego. "I'll be right behind you. Once we get through and it opens up, hopefully, we spread out and regroup."
The two soldiers from Fort Critwall, Clint and Rusty, look around at the faces huddled together and Rusty says, "I got a lantern ta help us see a bit. We can bring up the rear so's not to interfere with yer night vision."
Dorin, the Dwarven blacksmith, grunts. "I like the dark; won't be a problem for me or Farkus."
Young Farkus nods and wipes the sweat from his face. And the rest of the group seems to notice, maybe for the first time, that he is not entirely human; there seems to be some Orc blood running through his veins.
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego looks directly into the eyes of Farkus. "We will be killing a lot of orcs here today. You are prepared for that right?" He looks to Dorin next. "Right?"

Looking back to the entrance again he nods at the elves. "Lets see if today is a good day to die, friends."

With that, he arms his bow and snaps off a stick from a nearby tree. Using the dead branch to scrape along the floor in front of him, the ranger enters the cave mouth, peering into the darkness as he creeps forward.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Situating his drum behind him and brandishing his quarterstaff, Kranston makes his way in with the others, taking a place somewhat towards the back of the line.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

"Here we go. If we say run, back up and get out."

He readies his bow and follows Montego. "This isn't a trap, right? That Farkus kid looks kinda orcish, you know?" He whispers to the lead Ranger.
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Talon: Stay in cover but keep an eye on this entrance and tell me if anyone comes to the cave entrance after we enter, so we do not get surprised.

Slips his shield on his left arm and draws his long sword in the other.

I will bring up the rear and make sure nothing comes in behind us.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
Hotgoblin

#38 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr readies his sword…I will go in behind Sai, I don’t have any issues with the dark. I rather like it… He looks at his companions wryly.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by hedgeknight »

Into the Mines...To Kill Orcs!

Montego looks directly into the eyes of Farkus. "We will be killing a lot of orcs here today. You are prepared for that right?"
Farkus swallows and nods. "Yessir."
Montego looks to Dorin next. "Right?"
"Damn straight!" the Dwarf replies. "Been killin' fraggin' Orcs all me life."
Looking back to the entrance again Montego nods at the elves. "Lets see if today is a good day to die, friends."
With bow ready and a stick in hand, the ranger leads enters the cave mouth, peering into the darkness as he creeps forward.

Cassius turns to the folk from Fort Critwall, and says, "Here we go. If we say run, back up and get out."
Dorin snorts. "Just do yer job, Elf, and leave me ta do mine, savvy?"

With bow ready, the archer follows Montego inside. "This isn't a trap, right? That Farkus kid looks kinda orcish, you know?" he whispers to the ranger. He gets no reply because Montego is too busy concentrating and allowing his eyes to adjust to the darkness and gloom of the cave. ( Dude, you may need a light...being human and all :wink: )

Cassius is followed by Dorin, Farkus, then the two soldiers, Clint, and Rusty, who has a lantern with the wick turned low so as to give off just enough light to not stumble and fall in the darkness.
The unusually pensive Adelphocleas is next, with Kranston behind him wielding his quarterstaff, then Sai who had planned to go in last "and make sure nothing comes in behind us." But, as the multi-talented Elf readies his sword and shield, Muldgarr says, I will go in behind Sai, I don’t have any issues with the dark. I rather like it. He gives his companions a wry look, hefts his sword, and enters the cave.
cave tunnel.jpg
cave tunnel.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 195 times

The company has to duck slightly, and Adelphocleas more so, to enter the cave, but once inside they find the ceiling to be around 10' high. Dorin runs his hands along the wall, grunting in approval. "This be Dwarven handiwork," he murmurs, as the tunnel opens up, nearly wide enough for two abreast; although some prefer to walk in a staggered order to give room for fighting...when it comes.
Adelphocleas snatches the lantern from Rusty and holds it high above their heads, giving Montego and the soldiers a bit of light to see the ground ahead, while not spoiling the dark vision of everyone else. Rusty thinks about saying something, but upon seeing the look the centaur gives him, he thinks better of it and returns to watching his step.
The deeper the group moves into the tunnel, the worse the smell. It's a mixture of Orc stank and wet dog...it's nearly eye-watering unpleasant, and the company finds breathing through the mouth helps...but not much.
About 80' feet in, Montego raises his hand and the company halts. At the edge of the lantern's light, there is a break in the wall to the right, while the tunnel continues on straight ahead. The smell of wet dog is a lot stronger at this junction...
Actions?

Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego stops their advance and returns towards the others to have a quiet huddle.

"The stench ahead must be from their guard dog worgs. Sai, can you sneak up there and put them to sleep before they have a chance to sniff us out and warn the orcs?"

Return to “Previous Adventures”