Character Creation.

Spearmint
Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Character Creation.

#21 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Are we allowed to play more than one character?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

I fielded this question from another player. I am open to it but not yet. I think when the game world grows but the number of players diminish, it may be an option to take up.

At this stage, while everyone has a low level character, I would encourage players to concentrate on those and perhaps later I will allow them with some conditions.

But presently no. But subject to character death or retirement, you could consider future options.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Gerdal has a few spells left but they are quite situational.

By the way Spearmint, the "spell slots" Gerdal has have to be allocates to different spells, right? No 3 x fireball, 2 x web?
Interesting point and we could move that to character generation. In fact I will post this there.

I would say I am trialing the mage retention of spells to see how it works. Already mages have been buffed with not using the 'spell slots' limitation on casting and being able to wear armour though at a casting handicap. Plus you receive Read & Detect Magic as daily cantrips you don't need to study for. I have also allowed reversible spells to be counted as a single spell for memory purposes

I understand the dynamics. Clerics, using Bro' Fabian for example, may cast 3 spells daily and could just select 3 x CLW'S. Once cast they are erased and he has to pray and meditate for the next day's spell choices.

Mages start with a knowledge of x number of spells, dictated by minimum spells known according to Intelligence stat. (Plus the two cantrips). Each is retained in memory until cast and erased. (Which could be after the 1st casting of the spell or 10th). So they are limited only by what they know and retain after casting. You could cast fireball three times if you knew it and retained it after casting. So there is some repeat castings of the same spell available under conditions, which I think overall betters the 'spell slots' system. Using the traditional method, a 5th level mage has a 4-2-1 spell slots to cast 1st/2nd/3rd level spells. Under my house rules, a mage of average intelligence could know a half a dozen plus spells of each level and cast each until erased.

There is also no reason why a mage or sorcerer could not do sufficient spell research to create different dynamics in existing spells to create 'new' varieties which may be added. So fireball becomes, cone of fire or tongues of fire or another creative expression.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#24 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Can I ask the difference between a mage and a sorcerer?

This game is 1E AD&D, right?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

Yes.

Gerdal as you have noted is casting both mage and druid spells. This was a trade off for accepting very low stats and playing a below average stat array character. (Con 4 for example).

It comes with some caveats though, as her ability to learn new spells comes via mentoring not scholarly research. So for example learning a new spell from a scroll with say Jump & Erase on would not be a simple % chance roll.

Mages go to wizard school to learn and graduate under tutors. Sorcerers or practitioners of witchcraft are more instinctive in that they are not book learned mages, more taught at the apron strings of a mother while stirring a cauldron of compounds.

Not sure if that explains it well though.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Leitz »

I had assumed she was a "Witch", from the old Dragon magazine. Fine by me, I'm playing a Fighter that is as simple as I can make him to start off with. That was intentional, and I'm really happy with it.

I'm okay if others choose different, though. Now, if I can talk the DM into Weapon Specialization". Do you realize that Steban has not hit a single time, when there was an actual combat going on? Maybe I need to re-think this fighter idea...
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by sastaz »

So yeah, she's a mage but picking from mage and druid to make her feel more... I don't know, witchy/warlocky? I did not cherry pick the best spells from both, rather the ones that felt in character, so maybe it's more fair to say that she's picking from another spell list which is a selection of mage and druid spell - a hybrid.

And she has a really crappy stat array :)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

I am all for being creative and out of the box. Usually its me with the crap stat array, but I lucked out this time and am enjoying playing Orgoth.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

Oh we should welcome Maceo_the_escher to the game. He is rolling up another character and will be with us shortly.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Bluetongue »

another character
:oops: hope his first one wasn't some masked gnome with a hireling exploring the Barrowmaze ...

Welcome to the game Maceo_the_mascher. Not sure how Spearmint juggles so many threads simultaneously but there has been lots of fun twists in each.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by redwarrior »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:17 pm Oh we should welcome Maceo_the_escher to the game. He is rolling up another character and will be with us shortly.
Yay! Welcome!
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

Bluetongue wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm
another character
:oops: hope his first one wasn't some masked gnome with a hireling exploring the Barrowmaze
Same same!

Welcome!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluetongue wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm hope his first one wasn't some masked gnome with a hireling exploring the Barrowmaze ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too! :D

Welcome to the game, Maceo!
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by sastaz »

Bluetongue wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm
another character
:oops: hope his first one wasn't some masked gnome with a hireling exploring the Barrowmaze ...
:lol: :lol:

Spearmint be like "Okay, so on the plus side, no less than three natural 18s in stats, not bad, not bad indeed. On the negative side, your character is missing nine fingers, both feet, kidney, the larger parts of his intestines and face. So let's start, shall we? Your character begins completely covered in corrosive slime...."

PS welcome to the game!!
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

And Tarlyn also joins.

Twenty players, going to have to get some reinforcements to keep you away from my treasures.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Maceo & Tarlyn!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Welcome Tarlyn!
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by tarlyn »

Thanks y'all!
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by tarlyn »

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by tarlyn »

Starting Gold :

Starting Gold [3d6x10]=14x10=140

Thus far the dice gods are in favor of a Halfling... Once I think abut the stats I'll chose a class, 99% positive 'tis a fighter.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”