The VOID - True OOC for everyone's eyes

GreyWolfVT
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The VOID - True OOC for everyone's eyes

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I think based on how he put it is more offended by 2e just in general. As he was noticing that most all kits and all that make PC's rather "super" in means of stat scores and so forth. Sadly that is not entirely untrue. In 2e it can be harder to have an average stat character. If I knew 1e better I would surely run that with just the core books and Unearthed Arcana.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by tarlyn »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:07 pm I think based on how he put it is more offended by 2e just in general. As he was noticing that most all kits and all that make PC's rather "super" in means of stat scores and so forth. Sadly that is not entirely untrue. In 2e it can be harder to have an average stat character. If I knew 1e better I would surely run that with just the core books and Unearthed Arcana.

TBH 3e and after has feats and much more than 2e does making pcs a lot more powerful than in 2e.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Does 1E have class kits like 2E or is it more basic? I never played 1E nor know 2E enough, I'm still a newbie. :D
GreyWolfVT

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

RGF 1e is more basic no kits or all of that but it has classes you cannot truly have in 2e. Mostly due to the Unearthed Arcana book and Oriental Adventures though 1e is must more similar to 2e they didn't go hog-wild with "splat books" like the complete handbooks and what not.
Grognardsw wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:36 pm Hi Guys, I wasn’t able to respond in the OOC so I’m doing it here. Please don’t take my stepping back as any reflection on 2e or any of you fine players. It is purely me and my gaming inclinations toward simpler systems. I was very enticed by the good vs evil framework but the more I delved into 2e the more disinclined I became. I’m sure it’ll be a fun game and I’m rooting for the evil side! Feel free to repost this up in OOC if you think it worth other players to see. Thanks much.

Subject: The VOID - True OOC for everyone's eyes
tarlyn wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm
GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:07 pm I think based on how he put it is more offended by 2e just in general. As he was noticing that most all kits and all that make PC's rather "super" in means of stat scores and so forth. Sadly that is not entirely untrue. In 2e it can be harder to have an average stat character. If I knew 1e better I would surely run that with just the core books and Unearthed Arcana.

TBH 3e and after has feats and much more than 2e does making pcs a lot more powerful than in 2e.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by spanningtree »

@RiverGreenForest: Some campaigns are more simplified for one reason or another and the rules framework can play into that simplification quite a bit. Some players like a simpler game, more akin to the original D&D basic and expert sets (Read: not advanced D&D), a good framework for those campaigns is Labyrinth Lord. Labyrinth Lord is the equivalent of the D&D basic and expert boxed sets released around 1979, just two books for the entire system. The GM is also appreciative that they don't have to hunt around bunch of books in search of character details, spells, magic items and other rules. AD&D 1e is also pretty straight forward but as GreyWolf indicates, did have some pretty interesting additions via Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures. When AD&D 2e hit TSR released quite a few supplemental guides that really allowed a player to customize their character to a level not seen before. This was during the 80s. Moving forward from the early 90s we saw 3e, 4e and 5e that progressively added more and more ability to customize. I think a good comparison between, say, 1e and 5e, if you play computer games, would be the original Wizardry RPG and Skyrmm as far as player customization goes. Hope this helps sheds some light.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by RiverGreenForest »

spanningtree wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:50 pm @RiverGreenForest: Some campaigns are more simplified for one reason or another and the rules framework can play into that simplification quite a bit. Some players like a simpler game, more akin to the original D&D basic and expert sets (Read: not advanced D&D), a good framework for those campaigns is Labyrinth Lord. Labyrinth Lord is the equivalent of the D&D basic and expert boxed sets released around 1979, just two books for the entire system. The GM is also appreciative that they don't have to hunt around bunch of books in search of character details, spells, magic items and other rules. AD&D 1e is also pretty straight forward but as GreyWolf indicates, did have some pretty interesting additions via Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures. When AD&D 2e hit TSR released quite a few supplemental guides that really allowed a player to customize their character to a level not seen before. This was during the 80s. Moving forward from the early 90s we saw 3e, 4e and 5e that progressively added more and more ability to customize. I think a good comparison between, say, 1e and 5e, if you play computer games, would be the original Wizardry RPG and Skyrmm as far as player customization goes. Hope this helps sheds some light.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:55 pm RGF 1e is more basic no kits or all of that but it has classes you cannot truly have in 2e. Mostly due to the Unearthed Arcana book and Oriental Adventures though 1e is must more similar to 2e they didn't go hog-wild with "splat books" like the complete handbooks and what not.
Grognardsw wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:36 pm Hi Guys, I wasn’t able to respond in the OOC so I’m doing it here. Please don’t take my stepping back as any reflection on 2e or any of you fine players. It is purely me and my gaming inclinations toward simpler systems. I was very enticed by the good vs evil framework but the more I delved into 2e the more disinclined I became. I’m sure it’ll be a fun game and I’m rooting for the evil side! Feel free to repost this up in OOC if you think it worth other players to see. Thanks much.

Subject: The VOID - True OOC for everyone's eyes
tarlyn wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm

Ah, ok thank you for the explanations. I still want to try 1e, just gonna need the book, or maybe I could use the OSRIC .pdf file? Labyrinth Lord is a game I really want to try out, just could never find anyone that wanted to DM or play. With this discussion now I want to try 1e because the simplicity catches my eye.
And it's old-school which I REALLY like! 8-)
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by tarlyn »

spanningtree wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:50 pm @RiverGreenForest: Some campaigns are more simplified for one reason or another and the rules framework can play into that simplification quite a bit. Some players like a simpler game, more akin to the original D&D basic and expert sets (Read: not advanced D&D), a good framework for those campaigns is Labyrinth Lord. Labyrinth Lord is the equivalent of the D&D basic and expert boxed sets released around 1979, just two books for the entire system. The GM is also appreciative that they don't have to hunt around bunch of books in search of character details, spells, magic items and other rules. AD&D 1e is also pretty straight forward but as GreyWolf indicates, did have some pretty interesting additions via Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures. When AD&D 2e hit TSR released quite a few supplemental guides that really allowed a player to customize their character to a level not seen before. This was during the 80s. Moving forward from the early 90s we saw 3e, 4e and 5e that progressively added more and more ability to customize. I think a good comparison between, say, 1e and 5e, if you play computer games, would be the original Wizardry RPG and Skyrmm as far as player customization goes. Hope this helps sheds some light.
@RiverGreenForest

Also 1e had Monk and Assasin classes very well detailed :)
GreyWolfVT

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

OSRIC is close to 1e. But yes there is a player's handbook for 1e.

Looked like either of these.
Attachments
20210526_154300.png
20210526_154300.png (512.91 KiB) Viewed 299 times

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Oh man... That artwork looks awesome. Ok, ok, I see where this is leading to. ;)
GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm partial to the PHB with the wizard on the cover myself :D

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:16 pm I'm partial to the PHB with the wizard on the cover myself :D
Yeah, I love the classic cover but there is something extra cool seeing a wizard at the hight of his awesomeness casting what I can only assume is a holding spell on that flying critter. That is one epic scene.
RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Okay, you got me. I ordered AD&D 1e and Unearthed Arcana today, I'm excited to delve into 1e. :D
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by tarlyn »

Bluehorse wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:21 pm
GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:16 pm I'm partial to the PHB with the wizard on the cover myself :D
Yeah, I love the classic cover but there is something extra cool seeing a wizard at the hight of his awesomeness casting what I can only assume is a holding spell on that flying critter. That is one epic scene.
The wizard is cool but c'mon man,,,, them thieves ,, plucking the gem from the eye ..... very cool for me, back when I was only 13 ....... Nostalgia yes please :)

Also I used that PHB and the DMG with the Efreet on it,,,, not the 2nd versions of the both books as I already had the first versions....

When I think of AD&D 1e I think of those 2 books plus the monster manual with the Manticore, Unicorn and Centaur on the cover.

A great book is also the Fiend Folio 1e as well... ahhh memories
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by greyarea »

tarlyn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:05 pm The wizard is cool but c'mon man,,,, them thieves ,, plucking the gem from the eye ..... very cool for me, back when I was only 13 ....... Nostalgia yes please :)
Agreed. I never cared much for the new covers as compared to the originals...
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by spanningtree »

greyarea wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:13 pm
tarlyn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:05 pm The wizard is cool but c'mon man,,,, them thieves ,, plucking the gem from the eye ..... very cool for me, back when I was only 13 ....... Nostalgia yes please :)
Agreed. I never cared much for the new covers as compared to the originals...
+1, the old cover really reminds me of my childhood. just took a look at it: 6th printing, 1980. Mine is pretty battered. :)
GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bluehorse wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:25 pm So I just want to make sure I have not missed something, we are not changing over to 1e or something are we?
No we are not switching to 1e I don't think I could DM 1e very well at all. I get 2e stuff mixed up with 1e every time.

Nostalgia for me is the original PHB for 2e as that was my first D&D book ever given to my by my first DM who had plenty of extra copies.

The only 1e book I own in physical form is the Unearthed Arcana that another fellow VTer from this forum sent me when he was living in Florida. I hope to see him return to the forums again one day.

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by RiverGreenForest »

I didn't get to play D&D much growing up. Maybe a few times I played 2e but I didn't know how to play RPG's especially table top RPG's. The only memories I had as a kid playing 2e was a gnome thief using the revised PHB with the black cover in a friend's backyard.

No, we're not switching to 1e, hah. I think it's more because when I first joined the forums I had a few members wanting me to try 1e. I've always been interested, just never bothered to get the books until now.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by spanningtree »

Um, just throwing this out there. Did the martial arts section of OO make any sense? To me it did not.
GreyWolfVT

#40 Post by GreyWolfVT »

FYI YBN is also dropping out of the game due to RL.

So that evens the groups up again.

Return to “GreyWolfVT's GreyHawk Adventure (2e)”