The Shameless Horned Horse (IC - Tavern)

Paladin
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Shameless Horned Horse (IC - Tavern)

#21 Post by tarlyn »

Darklin2 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm Alec

As you sit and discuss your need for a healer. A rather large Wood Elf walks from the bar to your table. He wears Black Studded Leather armor and his belt is adorned with hand axe and warhammer. He carries a Long Sword on his back visible over his right shoulder.

Did I hear you needed a healer. I am Alec, Priest of Solonar, Father of the Woods. I am able to cure most wounds. What do you need help with?
Jasmine

Jasmine looks up at Alec. "Me fight in ring with Mr Chin, but he better den me. I having hurts needing heal if me go fighting bandits,"

and she proceeds to point out her injuries though they are quite obvious. "I no good with counting but can give you coin if you remove hurts, but I no having

lots of coins I fear."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by NJWilliam »

Heath

Heath waits for the elf to minister to Jasmine's injuries. When he appears complete with it, he says,
"If we're headed outside the gates, we should make sure we have the supplies that we need."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by tarlyn »

NJWilliam wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:56 pm Heath

Heath waits for the elf to minister to Jasmine's injuries. When he appears complete with it, he says,
"If we're headed outside the gates, we should make sure we have the supplies that we need."
Jasmine

The BIg Barbarian looks a bit confused.

"I hunt for us, find water, food. We need supplies??"

The notion of purchasing supplies appears to be taboo to Jasmine. She who is used to fending for herself in the wilds and taking care of

herself.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Grognardsw »

Gil, barbarian skald

Gil stares hard at the map and its four marks indicating the raids. His drunken blurriness comes into focus and he discerns the two raid spots.

“I see...” he mutters. The wheels turn, however slowly. “How many men are with your caravan? Have there been survivors of past caravans robbed, who we can talk to?”

The hairs on the back of the barbarian’s neck rise as the elf joins their table. That race has magic in their blood and can’t be trusted. Gil tries to ignore the elf and its magic; the barbarian has a knack for detecting magic, manifesting as a nausea that can sometimes result in vomiting.

Gil nods his head and grunts noncommittally at Alec. He angles his chair slightly away, because the elf like all his race stinks to high heaven to the barbarian’s sensitive nose.

Jasmine’s bruises and cuts still remain. It will take a week, even with her remarkable recuperative constitution, for her to be fully healed. Barlow could have provided his god’s healing touch, but the priest seems to have chosen the temple life over the adventuring one.

Gil returns to the map, struggling to put words to the plan hatching in his mind. ”The terrain - it is a road cutting through desert sands?”
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Darklin2 »

Alec

Gil all the magic running through my blood is from the gods. I have no arcane abilities at all. I am new to town and looking for employment. it would appear you are all heading to protect a caravan. Do you have any interest in another body. I am well verses in healing as well as the use of the bow.

He moves to Jasmine and rubs his hands together. Ok, here we go. No coin is needed. Buy me a meal and a drink and we will call it even. He runs his hands down here face where she has been punched.

[1d8] = 3 Cure Light Wounds

[1d8] = 6 Cure Light Wounds

[1d8] = 1 Cure Light Wounds

That is all that I have for the day, but if you meet me in the morning after the sun rises I can do more then. Keep me in mind if you need another for your adventure with the caravan. I will have to buy a horse as my last one broke it's leg and had to be put down. But I can be ready fairly quickly.

He bows and moves off to the bar in search of food and drink.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by tarlyn »

Darklin2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 pm Alec

Gil all the magic running through my blood is from the gods. I have no arcane abilities at all. I am new to town and looking for employment. it would appear you are all heading to protect a caravan. Do you have any interest in another body. I am well verses in healing as well as the use of the bow.

He moves to Jasmine and rubs his hands together. Ok, here we go. No coin is needed. Buy me a meal and a drink and we will call it even. He runs his hands down here face where she has been punched.

[1d8] = 3 Cure Light Wounds

[1d8] = 6 Cure Light Wounds

[1d8] = 1 Cure Light Wounds

That is all that I have for the day, but if you meet me in the morning after the sun rises I can do more then. Keep me in mind if you need another for your adventure with the caravan. I will have to buy a horse as my last one broke it's leg and had to be put down. But I can be ready fairly quickly.

He bows and moves off to the bar in search of food and drink.

Jasmine

Jasmine holds her breath and closes her eyes as Alec heals her. Feeling the healing flow through her body, she is somewhat relieved but still remains uncertain of Alec's

abilities or powers.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

Gil, barbarian skald

Gil breathes deep and tries to calm his stomach. Between 10 ales, much food and the elf stench, it is not easy. Does no one else smell the fey creature? Surely Jasmine, a fellow barbarian?

Alec speaks strange words as he heals Jasmine’s injuries. Gil recoils and feels nauseous. The barbarian can’t help it. He vomits all over the elf’s lower legs, avoiding it’s chest.

“Sorry,” Gil mutters sheepishly.

“Aye, we will need more blades to fight the raiders,” he reluctantly says in response to Alec’s offer.

Gil finishes wiping his mouth. He slaps Jasmine on the shoulder. ”Feeling better woman? The next fight won’t be with fists. Now buy this elf some food.”

Feeling sorry for the elf after vomiting on him, Gil says: “Alec, do you eat meat? I once met an elf who ate only plants.”
Hopefully Gil held off vomiting until the end of the third heal, I’d hate to interrupt the casting :lol: I sometimes narrate Gil’s inner thoughts. If they’re not in blue font he’s not saying them aloud. Alec’s keen instincts must have read all that on Gil’s face for the elf to comment on it? ;)
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Paladin »

"He'd be a good one to take along, elf or not," Kazak mutters. "A man with the favor of his god who dispenses it freely with no demand of payment beyond food and drink is a rare thing in Nuz Edrak. A native priest will drain your coffers faster than a good whore," he adds with a grimace. "Or so a friend tells me." The big man winks and pushes his chair back from the table.

"The Bazaar is open until one hour before dark and reopens tomorrow one hour after dawn, if you need anything before you go. We take no chances here anymore, not now that Bone-Caller's brood walks at nightfall." He shifts a glance to the tall elf. "A holy symbol might help out there," he remarks to no one in particular. "Not even good steel saves a man when the dead walk."

He nods along as Gil hits him with questions. "I'm afraid you're on your own there. All we recovered was the wagons. The cargo and drovers were nowhere to be found, and they started with a dozen men. Perhaps they weren't warriors of your caliber, but they were solid fighters. The best and only lead I can give you is that map. The terrain you're facing is all desert, as it borders the Emptiness. The road is good, well-marked, and winds through the landscape for miles uninterrupted. The lifeblood of Nuz Edrak flows up and down that road."

"And now, friends, I must return to my labors. They never end, it seems." He gestures to a young girl waving frantically at him from the kitchen. "Yes, yeees, darling. I come. Be at peace!"
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Darklin2 »

Alec

Alec sits and enjoys his meal. Being new to the town he watches people to get a feeling for the goings on here. He ask the waitress is he can get a few things for the road?

Miss, can I get a few things for the road? A wheel of cheese, 2 loaves of bread and 3 or 4 pounds of jerked beef or venison. And if you can point me in the right direction for a horse trader or a bazaar where I can find these things.

He goes back to his meal. Holding up a strip of beef as the Warriors look his way and stuffing it in his mouth. He then moves to dump part of the tankard of wine down his leg to remove the smell.

And maybe a place to purchase a new set of pants also.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Paladin »

Somehow, I read this thread twice and completely missed Gil puking on Alec. :lol: Hilarious. Apologies for not catching everything. The past couple days have been so busy! Stayed on my sawmill all blessed day today.

The other patrons express far less, if any, distaste at the presence of an elf. He is just one of a million various splashes of color in a broad canvas. The young woman serving Alec nods prettily and points outside. She discreetly masks her wrinkled nose at the foul odor coming from the vomit-stain on his pants.

"Take a left there and you cannot fail to find the Great Bazaar," she replies. "Everything in the civilized world--and most things outside of it--can be found there. I will get your things."

She vanishes into the storeroom beside the kitchen and procures the items he requested, packing them securely in a sturdy sack. "Six gold coins, outlander," she says almost apologetically. "Times are hard and prices are high."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Grognardsw »

Gil, barbarian skald

Gil shrugs as the elf doesn’t respond to his gruff friendly question. The vomit wasn’t a great start to an adventuring partnership, but it’ll come around.

“Jasmine, are you okay with two spellcasters by our side? I will have to pray to Kord for forgiveness. Hopefully he won’t frown on this and make our swords less sharp.”

Gil looks around for Heath. The man doesn’t talk much. Gil tries hard to be magnanimous.

”Heath and Alec, join us! We can talk about how to equip ourselves for this desert job.”

Gil feels the curse of verse returning. Vomiting and the effort of serious tactical thought about the bandits are clearing his ale-muddled mind. The barbarian quickly orders more ale.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Darklin2 »

Alec

Alec smiles at the serving girl. An nod his head. Sorry about the smell. Accident from earlier. Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate the extra effort. Here is 7 gold crowns, 6 for you goods and 1 for your beauty. I will return again. Thank you.

He returns to his seat and finished his meal. Hearing the Big Barbarian call to him he finishes his food and gathers his gear to move to their table.

I assume you have changed your mind about having an elf among you ? I will hear your story and about this mission we undertake. So is it just the 4 of us or will there be more?
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by tarlyn »

Grognardsw wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 pm Gil, barbarian skald

Gil shrugs as the elf doesn’t respond to his gruff friendly question. The vomit wasn’t a great start to an adventuring partnership, but it’ll come around.

“Jasmine, are you okay with two spellcasters by our side? I will have to pray to Kord for forgiveness. Hopefully he won’t frown on this and make our swords less sharp.”

Jasmine

She thinks about it a moment, remembering what her Grandfather taught her and what she has experienced thus far.

"I okay. Grandfather teach me arcane spellcasters different casting than a Shaman or Cleric. but between me and you" she whispers

"I not feeling comfortable but Alec heal me. Heath not impress nor he cast yet unless I missing it? It ok for now,, I just be careful and keep

eye on both."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Grognardsw »

Gil, barbarian skald

Gil responds to Jasmine: “I saw Heath perform some parlor tricks before your arena fight. The hair on the back of my neck went up.”

Gil drinks his ale and welcomes his companions in steel to the table. He tries not to scrunch up his nose at the smell of the elf, though no else seems to notice. He wonders if it is just him?

“We will need more swords against these bandits,” says Gil to Alec while sipping more ale. “I haven’t seen many wizards with swords. Or clerics, if what Jasmine here says is true. Our last cleric Barlow only used blunt weapons.”

The barbarian drinks more ale. “Me, I’m a barbarian skald from the north. I was cursed by a wizard’s trap on a gold harp I stole, and now I must speak in verse except when drunk. Like now.”

Gil finishes his tankard of ale and orders another.

“Now, this job... I am but a simple warrior, with simple ideas and a sword. I welcome your thoughts. Some tactics came to mind. We will be out-numbered, so we must fight smart. We ride ahead and meet the caravan, gaining their cooperation to lay a trap. When we reach a likely spot for banditry, we pull off into the sands and fake an axle break. We lay large nets under the sands in front and back, with the warrior’s horses at two corners. When the bandits arrive we wave a white flag. When they approach over the nets, we gallop and entangle them and their horses. Then strike them down safely.”

“The wizards can be in the caravan, ready to... do what they do. As long as it doesn’t involve human sacrifices or the summoning of demons, which I hear is what they do. No offense.”

“We’d need to provision with ropes, the largest nets we can find (or multiple attached together), shovels, horse barding, plenty of arrows, some oil for each, and... what else?”

Gil quaffs more ale.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by tarlyn »

Jasmine

Acknowledging both Heath and Alec with a nod, but not for long speeches as is Gil she offers "I Jasmine of no tribe, wander lands, nice to meet you.

You welcome to join us and kill bandits , help big man."
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Darklin2 »

Alec

Listens and waits for all to speak.

Your plan is sound. I am a Priest but also a Ranger. I am skilled in both the bow and sword. And I would be happy to join you. But we must make a pact. We split all treasures and valuables with equal shares. I have some gold and would buy a wagon and oxen to blend with the caravan. This will allow us to bring all the weapons and armor from the bandits back here to sell. As well as give us a defendable place when the dead come calling. I should have enough gold to be able to purchase a wagon and Oxen for the trip. You can put your packs and heavy things in the wagon, this will keep you two light on your feet and allow us to carry additional water with us. Maybe a barrel full would be smart, since this is the desert.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Grognardsw »

Gil, barbarian skald

"Aye, the spoils to each in equal measure," says Gil, finishing his ale. "Let us visit the markets while there is still light. And tomorrow in the morn depart."

The drunk barbarian gets up unsteadily. As much as he likes not being under the curse of the verse, he realizes he's had enough ale.

"I should add, there is a local slaver Darius who may try to kill me. So keep an eye out for a wormy man, or more likely cut-throats or thugs."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by tarlyn »

Jasmine

"Darius." scoffs the big barbarian.

"Him hiding behind bigger men cause he too puny to do a real man job, he too afraid to face anyone big than him."

Pursing her lips "I no count well but share is good and fair like my grandfather teached me. I help with buying whatever

we needing for killing the bandits but no ask me to help planning. I do my part with these,"
as she points out her weapons

and cannons of arms.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Paladin »

The wizard in his colorful robe hums contentedly as he drains his mug and waves a hand at the empty vessel. It floats back to the bar and lands squarely in the outstretched hands of a waiting serving girl. She giggles and takes it back to be cleaned. Heath smiles indulgently and pushes himself upright. "I suppose I've had my fill, as well. Shall we join the unwashed masses in the Great Bazaar?"

He angles toward the door.

If no one objects or has anything left to do in the tavern, I will type us up a post back in the streets of Nuz Edrak. :)

Return to “Into the Emptiness (1e)”