#21 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"Another idiot gone then, good riddance."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Sharp Edge of Day

#22 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og turns back to the group, "what the hell does he even mean by that about the embezelment? In other words, is that something we can twist to our advantage?"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by tibbius »

Ignored, the sour-breathed stubbly man hastens back into the alley. He doesn't ask for any payment.

Just down the street is an open yard with a small tent at the street and a large shed at the back. Several small carts stand propped by their shafts on the cracked dry mud of the yard. A couple of mules absent-mindedly munch feed from a trough along the side of the yard. A wiry old woman hefts a slender jug of water half her height and pours it over into a trough opposite the feed trough.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og saunters over to the lady with a smile on his crooked face. "Ma'am...ahem..umm..how about you and I work out a deal for borrowing a horse and wagon, eh? Terms could be favorable for you indeed!"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by tibbius »

The old woman looks steadily at Og with an expression that reminds him of his grandaunt's beatings.

"Ye know the going rate is 12," she says, "and it's no good for me to offer less or to take more. Pick yer mule and cart, pay me the swords, and get on wiv yer day."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og clears his rough throat, "yah, yah.. i know the terms. What I'm saying is that what about a deal? Listen - i have goods to pick up from the warehouse and these carts will help. I sell what I get then give you double your rate. You can come to if you'd like to make sure you are treated fair. C'mon - let's do this, eh?"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by tibbius »

The old woman props the empty jug on her hip and harrumphs. "Then you should know, so clever as you are, that the Handlers'll have my thumbs if I break the agreed rate. No ... thank ... you." She turns her back on Og. "Anyone want to meet the standard terms for a cart?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#28 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Excellent! You passed our test. Not everyone is as good at following the rules, and there have been punishments handed out. Now, we shall happily rent the cart at the allowed rate.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by tibbius »

The transaction is swiftly concluded and you proceed toward the Behruz building with a mule pulling a two-wheeled cart.

Whoever please deduct 12 sp from your coinage.

Arriving at the building, you find it deserted; the guards are gone, the doors are chained. A pair of ravens hunch on the eaves, as you approach they caw at you and shift their weight, fanning their wings.

What do you do?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

Xara hands over the silver, thanks the woman, and heads towards the warehouse. 12sp deducted.

"Well. That's to be expected, I guess." She sighs as she sees the chains and lack of guards. "Someone has a key, right? Maybe the office?"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by tibbius »

The sky is overcast as you proceed along the streets between the long low buildings to the guildmaster's office on Jackal.

A throng of several dozen laborers and better-dressed merchants mills around under the sign of the bony hands.

Xara recognizes these people as likely members of the Handlers' Guild, which controls unskilled labor and all manner of transportation within the city and into the hinterlands beyond. The better-dressed ones will be caravan masters in their robes and turbans; the poorly dressed, beast-handlers or loaders or warehousefolk.

The crowd emits a continual confused clamor of voices vying to obtain or disseminate information of questionable truth.

Access to the office entrance is not immediately available; you will have to get through the crowd.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

Xara starts asking questions of the people near her as she winds her way closer to the entrance.

"What's going on?"
"Why can't we get in?"
"Where are the guards and the master?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Lathi

Lathi sticks close to Xara, keeping silent and watchful.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by tibbius »

"Laugra's missing," answers one of the merchants who anxiously pulls his thick and oiled beard. "I want to settle my account for delivering a load of ebon wood from distant Boma-Ya. Also I need entry to a warehouse, so that I can drop the load to pick up something new. He authorizes all the warehouse operations as well as clearing the accounts."

"I'm waiting to collect the week's pay for my men," says a jowly old laborer with a squinty eye. "The strongbox is somewhere in the offices, but Laugra's minions of course won't let us in. I've heard that only he has the key. Maybe he took off with it! Though I reckon it would be quite heavy."

"The guards all are searching the city for Laugra," another merchant says. "Except for the half-dozen watching the office here."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og whispers to his comrades-in-greed, "maybe we should find this Laugra before someone else does?"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by tibbius »

ravenn4544 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:13 pm Og whispers to his comrades-in-greed, "maybe we should find this Laugra before someone else does?"
viewtopic.php?p=505149#p505149
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"I think it best we pass on looking for him, maybe there is a back way in."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks for clarifying that we did find him - and we killed him :). forgot it was him.

Og agrees, "Yeah, figure we first try the warehouse to try and get into before it's all gone or head back to the crypts to see what's so important about what's down there.... "
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#39 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

If we decide we want into the warehouse, we can get into the warehouse. I'm not so keen on going back to the catacombs. I have no interest in becoming lunch. If everyone else wants to go...well, I won't abandon you. Our fortunes are tied together.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by tibbius »

The mule brays and stamps impatiently.

The crowd in front of the Handlers' Guild Offices continue to gossip, speculate, and complain. A few people drift away; a few more join.

A scruffy-looking man in a short-sleeved caftan emerges into the doorway, where he stands with his hands shoved into his broad cummerbund. A short curved sword in a quilted sheath hangs at his thigh.

"Until matters are resolved regarding succession to the Guild offices, and accounts are audited, all transactions are on hold," he says firmly. "Guild orderlies will continue their presence in the offices. In a few minutes, the city guard will arrive to establish a presence here in the street. There is nothing to be done at this time. Please move on."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “World of Xoth (5e)”