8a. Looking for Trouble

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 8a. Looking for Trouble

#141 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Who's being safe? I was stating my full facts as to why I am here. If you want me to be blunt I can. I am here to try and fight the evil that is in Barovia. That what you wanted to hear? I'm seeking trouble in all the right places."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Zhym »

"An honest answer," Shinyah tells Gragog. "Your original response had somewhat less detail than I was hoping for. I was wondering why you thought you'd find adventure down this particular road." He looks at Lar. "But I think I understand. Ancient evils often have ancient treasure hoards. A little something for everyone, hm?"

"You answered my question. It's only fair that I answer yours. I am a servant of Toharta, sent here on a mission. Down this road lies a sort of 'dark hole' in the world—a place of great evil from which few who enter ever return. The order to which I belong has watched this place from outside, and tolerated its existence, for centuries. So long as the source of evil in that place remained there, without growing too much in strength or threatening to expand its borders, we did not interfere. Places of great evil are as important to the Balance as are the places of great good, after all.

But the Great Druid has become aware of a change that threatens to upset the equilibrium. The evil within that land is no longer content to remain there. It seeks to expand its influence to the world outside. That we cannot allow. I have been tasked with finding the source of the evil and destroying it, or at least to seeing that its plans are permanently thwarted.

"I think we can work together. That is, if you are willing."
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, "I am Lar Morgus and servant of Ohama who has commanded me on this quest. Let us travel together and strengthen our cause and let Light and Truth be our swords of justice. Let us move with purpose to Barovia."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
GreyWolfVT

#144 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Aye Shinyah we can work together as that sounds like a common goal. End the evil within. As far as I'm concerned we can worth together Shinyah."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Inferno »

Agax the Dreamer, wizard:

"Well why didn't you just say so?" Agax exclaimed to Shinyah.
"The best way to get trust is to give it," he merrily advised with a wink and a grin.
"I am called Agax. Now, what more can you tell us of this dread evil, and its plans for expansion?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Zhym »

Date: The next morning
Time: 8:30 AM
Weather: Fog

"Indeed. Let us move with purpose toward Barovia," says Shinyah. He whistles, and a pair of brown grizzly bears rumble out of the depths of the forest to stand at the druid's side. A small owl swoops from the treetops and perches on his shoulder. "Meet Honeynose and Treescratcher," he says, pointing to the bears. "The owl's name is He Who Silently Swoops in The Night, Terror of Rodents, Ruler of the Night, Seer of Things Afar, but you can call him Hihu."

"Alas," he says as you set off down the road, "I don't know anything about what lies ahead other than what I already told you. We know that there is a great evil ruling the land ahead, and we know that few creatures ever leave, whether man or beast. But trees talk to trees, and eventually some rumors reach the world. Alas, trees do not have the greatest vocabulary when it comes to matters of interest to men. All we know is that the evil ahead, whatever it may be, is making plans. And that those plans cannot be allowed to come to fruition."

-----
Gragog (F7): 49/49; Lar (P6): 40/40; Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 30/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 38/38, Honeynose: 28/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Stirling »

"In my youth those bears would have been winter cloaks and blankets and the owl stuffed and hawked on the local bazaar. Redeemed I am from such a walk now, my feet follow Samaric paths. If Barovia's cloud cast many shadows, I shall be a light in the darkness. "Scarlett has a grim determination to move forward over the crest of the next hills. She rolls up her parchment map refraining from asking about the land, quietly to Lars she whispers, "tell our new friends to fall in line behind us, we don't really want to be wandering up the road looking into the waddling arse of some bear do we."(a bit of gypsyfied carnal rogue nature occassionally leaks out from Scarlett...)
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, "If I may suggest. Perhaps it would be best to work in a particular order. Gragog and I will take point followed by Scarlett and Agax then Petyr and Bogdana with Shinyah as rear guard. Perhaps Hihu will scout things out from above?"

Lar will walk in the rear for a while to accompany Shiyah to ensure he feels welcome in the group. Lar will get to know them as best he can. He moves back up front after a short time excusing himself as he does.

At the first break he brings up the idea of fighting with a purpose. He says, "If possible I'd like to fight as a cohesive group to maximize our success and minimize our wounds. We need to defend the less sturdy of our group and focus our attacks. Our survival will surely depend on it."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
GreyWolfVT

#149 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Druid eh? Them bears of yours could take up the front or rear guard provided the townfolk will allow em to enter. Your owl would be a great above scout provided it is active during the day. But then again you're most familiar with their talents and skills I think it best if you do with them what you know works best. The rest of us can just fall in where we fit best."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Inferno »

Agax the Dreamer, wizard:

The strange wizard was happy to once again be on the road to adventure. He merrily enjoyed the beauty of the natural surroundings and the company of his new friends, even as he wondered what dread terror awaited them all.

Agax agreed with Lar's battle philosophy. He nodded at Gragog's remarks, and smiled at the Druid: "Can Hihu scout ahead for us please?"
Cweando: Petyr the Fighter has a spear that can attack from the second ranks. In the outdoors, he can probably advance just fine. But indoors, we might consider putting him in the second rank. Thoughts?
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by Cwreando »

Noted on the spear. Perahps Scarlett will fall back one rank and let Petyr move up one rank to accommodate his skill with the spear?

Lar says, "On second thought perhaps Petyr can switch places with Scarlett in the marching orders?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Zhym »

Date: The next morning
Time: 8:40 AM
Weather: Fog

You move on down, move on down the road. Scarlett says some bold words about what she might once have done to those bears, but then explains that such impulses are firmly part of her past. Lar, ever practical, discusses tactics. Gragog and Agax ask if the owl can scout.

"Sometimes," answers Verdecahn, "but he doesn't see that well in daylight, and he gets distracted and wanders off into a tree to sleep if he tries to stay awake too long during the day. He usually spends the day sleeping, but he's a great night watchman!"

Later, as the noon hour approaches, you hear loud chittering and the sound of tearing, grinding wood coming out of the forest ahead and to your right.

-----
Gragog (F7): 49/49; Lar (P6): 40/40; Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 30/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 38/38, Honeynose: 28/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by Cwreando »

Lar on hearing the noise, uses hand signals to alert the group and signals to keep a watch in the direction of the noise and surrounding area. He looks to Shinyah for answers on what it might be and says softly,"Could it be a Giant beaver or some woodland creature? Does the chittering sound familiar? Perhaps we need not disturb it whatever it is softly talking to the group."
GreyWolfVT

#154 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog readies his spear and looks to the druid "Might you be able to inquire of the trees about what that is we're hearing?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Zhym »

"I can't talk to the trees today," says Shinyah, "but Hihu can spy for us." The druid nudges his owl awake then points in the direction of the noise while uttering a short series of hoots and whistles. Hihu flaps off into the treetops.

"I've trained Hihu to scout on a simple command," Shinyah explains. "To understand his report, however, I need to use a spell."

In a few minutes, the owl returns and perches on the druid's shoulder. The two of them hoot at each other for a moment, then Shinyah nods as if confirming what he believed. "Hihu says they are 'huge turtle big-horse bugs with horns.' I got him to describe them in more detail, as best he could, and they sound like giant beetles. They're ravenous things that will eat anything organic, including trees. They don't see or hear well, though, so we might be able to sneak past them. On the other hand, this forest would certainly be better off without them. Even a few of these creatures can devastate a forest."

-----
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, "A perfect chance for us to work on our battle skills. How many beetles did Hihu see? We should form up so the fighters protect those with magical talents. Front line is Gragog, Myself and Petyr and the second rank is Scarlett, Agax, Bogdana and Shinyah with the pets as Shinyah chooses. Is this ok with the everyone? If so Lar asks Bogdana to bless the group just before we prepare to engage the beetles in Melee. There are probably 2 or more beetles. Gragog see if you can get the attention of just one of them and draw it to us. Let's use the terrain to our advantage and force the beetle to fight through the forest while we fight from the clearing of the road. Focusing on one target at a time when possible. If necessary either Gragog or myself can keep the attention of additional beetles if necessary. Stay close to me if you can as Ohama will allow you to share some of my gifts."
Feel free to adjust my tactics with feedback and recommendations. If you think there is a better way that's cool too.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Zhym »

"Owls aren't great at counting," says Shinyah. "They know 'one,' 'two,' 'few,' 'several,' 'many,' and so forth. Hihu said there are 'several' beetles."

"I can entangle the beetles for some crowd control,"
he adds.

FYI: I put Shinyah's spell list in the status post at the top of the character thread.
GreyWolfVT

#158 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog stretches using his spear to help stretch his arms a bit, the he rests the spear on his shoulders behind his neck cracks his neck then his knuckles and proclaims "I'd be up for the workout."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Cwreando »

Lar asks the others quietly,"Agax, Scarlett, Shinyah you want to rid this forest of these foul beast or do we walk on?"

If one or more is willing to fight

Lar says for all to hear but directed at Gragog, "Gragog can you move in and draw one of them away toward us? If they are too far away for you to safely get back before it reaches you we can come into the forest slightly and fight a retreating fight back to the road. Once it's dead we can reassess the fight."
Hopefully the other beetles will be distracted eating to notice one of the beetles moving away with Gragog back to fight the group.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Stirling »

"Lars, maybe these are Fire beetles. They often have glands that make good light. I wouldn't wage against several of them but if we kill a couple of them the others may flee danger. Stag beetles are another kind though, I did hear that gypsy shaman grind up their horns for 'love' potions or some other 'virile' kind (Scarlett 's face goes well scarlet...) " she quiets and undoes her mace and shield, stepping into rank as requested.

Return to “Ravenloft”