Raiding Season

The Bindoner
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Raiding Season

#141 Post by Tiglath »

Just as Remington begins to believe that either he's gotten away with it or that the luddite lunacy can't get any worse Raven's voice reminds him that fate seemingly hasn't yet finished toying with him.

"Many Names, I hear your spirits were troublesome during the anointing. Let us see if we can conjure up the miracle required to redeem you".

She heaves the plasma gun and its power pack from under the table and raises her voice "My Lord Jarl and Lady Vigdis, Captain and crewmates all. Our "Drive Shaman" has one more demonstration of his strange powers. A trophy weapon taken by myself ceased to work and "Many Names", aware of the import of this night, declared he would remedy its malady but only if the gods saw fit to favour his work and guide his hands".

"Let us see if we are favoured enough in our undertaking to place another star in Oghma's night sky". After the tales of the anointing Raven doesn't even think twice about letting the possessed "Drive Shaman" loose with a plasma gun and, putting the weapon to her own shoulder, braces for the recoil and aims for the night sky.

The weapon's flash and diminishing bolt illuminate the feast tables and entire park bay and Raven triumphantly holds the energy weapon aloft. She claps Remington on the shoulder and drops her voice so only he can hear "And now you owe me - one miracle. I'll let you know when we need it".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#142 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington puts on his best innocent face.I don't know why you think I have to be forced to make friends. Why, Ridley already likes me enough to give me a friendly pat on the head for my troubles. At this, Remington inclines his head and parts his hair to show Lady Vigdis the matted clot on the top of his head. He leans closer and whispers "He acts, tough, but I bet inside he's really a sensitive soul who just needs someone to confide in."

Remington leans away and drops the smile. "I take your point though, my lady. I cannot claim anything unless the leadership of the vessel grants me those privileges. So I can't earn my freedom unless they permit it, and the Lords of the Jump drop the right materials in my lap. I recognise I can be difficult to work with, but I assure you there's good scientific reasons for 90% of the things I insist on, and plausible theoretical justification for the other 10. I may not win hearts with my charming ways, but I like to imagine that during the voyage I might earn respect with some competent drive work. At the very least I'll try not to give the rest of the crew cause to shoot me and dump me out an airlock. Being alive but enslaved is still miles ahead of being dead."

As Raven begins her announcement, Remington blanches. The slight shake in his hands gets worse, and the tic returns to his jaw. In all the hubub of the drive blessing he'd forgotten about the other potential disaster of the evening. As she prepares to fire, Remington can only stand and shake. He'd pray, but the Lords of the Jump aren't interested in technology as plebeian as a plasma gun. As the bolt flies to the sky he sags with relief, though he bolts upright as Raven informs him that he's now on the hook for a miracle. Sure, he can do miracles, that's what the university paid him for, but those miracles were never on a tight schedule, and he had research assistants to grease the wheels for him. On his own, on the fly? Well, to Remington it seemed that he'd traded the immediate risk of disaster for a far more insidious, looming future threat of disaster. On the bright side, if he was lucky when Raven called in the miracle if he failed they might just all die. That would save him from being embarrassed.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by The Bindoner »

"Let us see if we are favoured enough in our undertaking to place another star in Oghma's night sky". After the tales of the anointing Raven doesn't even think twice about letting the possessed "Drive Shaman" loose with a plasma gun and, putting the weapon to her own shoulder, braces for the recoil and aims for the night sky.

The weapon's flash and diminishing bolt illuminate the feast tables and entire park bay and Raven triumphantly holds the energy weapon aloft. She claps Remington on the shoulder and drops her voice so only he can hear "And now you owe me - one miracle. I'll let you know when we need it".
The cheers of the warband, excited by the obvious power of the strange weapon their leader wields, echo around the walls of the parkbay as the bolt of energy sizzles into the sky. There are shouts from other bays, and soon tracer from "happy fire" is rising from all around. Raven can take some pride in the fact no other band has anything to equal the plasma bolt, and they are trying to make up for it in volume of fire.

This might be the time for Ridley to overwhelm the neighbours with the Crater-Monster's gift.

Hallstein and Vigdis intimate that they will have to leave soon to visit the other ships of the fleet. They would like to speak with Kar and Raven, separately, before they go.

Shall we do those conversations in the private threads while the party goes on?
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Tiglath »

The Bindoner wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:23 pm Shall we do those conversations in the private threads while the party goes on?
(OOC: Probably makes best sense so we can plot to kill everyone on board... er... not hold up the main thread. Yes, that's the reason! ;) :)

With a "placeholder post" we can edit them back in for completeness).
hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#145 Post by hardrocks »

Kar is liking the festivities, but eating and drinking moderately, for him. Ready when his Lord Hallstein is for a quiet chat, he will be seeking out Regina and an early night afterwards.
coastguarder
Scout
Scout

#146 Post by coastguarder »

Having gorged himself and started on the more direct route to total inebriation Ridley thought this a good time for a bit of entertainment .... Grabbing Remington by the arm and adressing him in a sarcastic tone ok many miracles .... time for you to put those fireworks to good use ....... be a good lad and put on a show for us
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#147 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington can't shake the feeling that the show Ridley is after might entail more than mere fireworks. That said, it's not exactly like he has a good excuse to say no. So with a heavy sigh he begins arranging clusters of fireworks. Struck by a moment of inspiration, he appropriates some loose paper and sufficiently flammable cloth to create improptu combined wicks to set off several fireworks at once. Beginning with singles and pairs, Remington gradually works his way up to clusters of three, four, five, or six fireworks. He's not exactly sure what each firework is supposed to be, but as a general rule larger clusters have two or three same-sized charges and an extra one or two for pizzaz. That's the theory at least, but Remington isn't sure that someone willing to make his own suitcase nuke can be trusted to put identical fireworks in identical packages. As the show begins, Reminton makes a point of retreating far beyond what anyone might consider safe distance. He actually uses Ridley as his benchmark, retreating a comfortable ten feet behind wherever Ridley seems to think it's safe. Remington figures that if Ridley knows the mad bomber who made these fireworks, he also probably knows where it's safe to be. The extra ten feet is to accommodate the fact that Ridley is still a drunken psychotic space raider, and as such is likely to be comfortable far closer to explosions than Remington is.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by The Bindoner »

2d6 vs int I think.
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#149 Post by Gorethirster »

Rest in pieces Remington.
[2d6+1] = 6+1 = 7
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by The Bindoner »

As a roll against an untrained skill at -3 that would be a problematic failure.

This was an "under the stat" save.

Remington realises the safest place for the fireworks is on top of the berm, as far away as possible from the ship and its crew. Although chemistry is not his field he manages to improvise a linkage from fuse to fuse along the chain of pyrotechnics with a few feet of lead. It is enough to let him get down the ramp and away before the first device, a multi-shot cake ignites. It is relatively quiet, but it spurs him on so that he is beyond Ridley before the next, a mortar throwing a chrysanthemum, goes off.

The sequence of rockets, shells and barrages in various forms roar into life. The noise is deafening, drowning out everything else, and the flashes of coloured lights are dazzling. The improvised ignition system means the collection fire off in an overlapping concatenation of sound and coloured light instead of a spaced display. A fireworks aficionado would be disappointed by the brevity, but the almost continuous detonation of the various effects is stunning.

All of the parkbays are silent for a moment before a wave of roars of approval and cheers ring out. Soon other, more conventional, displays rise up.
Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#151 Post by Legion Lee »

Leon watches the fire works display with Roberta standing next to him. He has had his fill of food and is now drinking beer taking in the crew. Soon there will be blast off and no doubt the real fire-works will soon begin. Leon is looking forward to testing the destructive might of their ship. He takes a sip of beer and goes to join in and mingle with the new crew.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Tiglath »

Raven wanders back towards the keg for more ale stopping next to Leon to watch the fireworks.

She watches them with childlike awe softly muttering "Flames in the night sky..."

Then, recovering from her rapture she seems to notice Leon and gives him a nod volunteering "Our "Drive Shaman" is touched by the gods and stores void spirits in his head - that is why he is called "Many Names". He fancies himself as a follower of science and I'll admit he's made a pretty show with the incendiaries".

Her lips twitch into a near smile and then she takes a draught of ale and continues deadpan "However, if he was a warrior and not a scientist he would know that the proper use of those things is in a camp fire".

(OOC: Clearly Remington has not (yet) learned the traditional Oghman children's game of Campfirework Roulette! ;) :roll: )
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by The Bindoner »

Hallstein and Vigdis emerge from the Longhouse, Lord Ásgeirr telling Raven Thank you, it was an oversight. I will remedy it before the night is over.

Leaving Raven at the ramp, so she can join her warband, Hallstein calls on Kar and the three of them head back into the ship.

The young warriors pay little attention, mostly taken up with drinking and horseplay.

Sigmundr is taking his role as junior leader seriously, drinking moderately and trying to sound out Leon, the new arrival.
Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#154 Post by Legion Lee »

Leon smiles at Ravens comment. "Yes some of the crew seem to like a bit of a joke" Taking a sip of beer Leon looks over at the ship "she looks impressive, I am looking forward to seeing her in action".
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by The Bindoner »

Hallstein and Vigdis emerge from the ship having concluded their conversations with Raven and Kar.

They pause to wish success to everyone as they pass through the feast.

To Ridley Vigdis adds Take care how you discipline my slave Steersman, his head is worth more to me than yours.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by The Bindoner »

Hallstein and Vigdis stop by Leon:

Quarter Chief Leon, I am glad you arrived in time for me to meet you. My apologies for the short notice. I am afraid your command is small. You have only one slave to help crew the Serpent's weapons, but she is as good a Gunner as you. There is a Svein in the Warband named Hrafn who knows the basics, perhaps Raid Leader Sorrow will allow you to borrow him.

Vigdis :The Cunning Serpent is a clever ship, she can be your third, or she can advise you.

Good hunting Leon.

Meek prey and cool lasers.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by The Bindoner »

Lord Ásgeirr and Lady Vigdis rejoin their party, the Völva breaking her conversation with the Thegn and Bryti ( slave advisors ) to stand with them, the House-Carls pulling themselves to attention.

Hallstein addresses the ship's crew:Good people, you are Setting Forth in service of Oghma and our Clan on a fine ship, and under skillful and experienced leaders. Listen to their words, obey their commands, seize every opportunity, and you will add new glory to the long story of the Cunning Serpent.

The Völva chants a blessing in the old Oghman of the Temple, and Vigdis translates:
May the Gods guide you in your journey.

May you find strength from Þórr in difficult struggle.
May you find wisdom from Óðinn in times of confusion.

Bow before no-one.
Do not fear death, but if you meet it, meet it on your own terms, as a proud Oghman.

May Njörðr protect you in the void between the worlds, realm of Rán, and bring you back again.

Hallstein and Vigdis raise a horn in toast and each drinks from it while the Huscarls beat their shields in salute, then the whole party turn and leave. Soon there is a cheer from the next parkbay heralding their arrival at the next ship.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by The Bindoner »

Kar's comm chimes with an incoming message from Lord Ásgeirr.

It notifies him that another person is arriving to join the ship, a warrior named Áshildr. She is to be put under the command of Raven.

Not long after a Grav-Car whirrs over and lands outside the parkbay. A woman soon appears in entrance wheeling a sack-truck with a Vacc Suit case and footlocker on it. She pauses to salute the guardian stones, showing her heavy backpack as she turns to face each.

As she walks toward the feasting crew she stops just outside the glare of the torches and cooking firs, leaves the sack-truck, pulls out a comm, studies it briefly, looks around, recognises Kar and approaches him. The light reveals a fairly nondescript woman, average height ( which among the tall figures of most warriors makes her look relatively short ), copper-tinted brown hair, synthetic fur parka over ship's jumpsuit.

Skeppare Tollerson? Raider Áshildr reporting. Lord Ásgeirr has assigned me to the Cunning Serpent. * she smiles, charmingly, and is suddenly far from nondescript * Apparently your Raid Leader needs an assistant.
hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#159 Post by hardrocks »

Skeppare Tollerson? Raider Áshildr reporting. Lord Ásgeirr has assigned me to the Cunning Serpent. * she smiles, charmingly, and is suddenly far from nondescript * Apparently your Raid Leader needs an assistant.
A quick appraisal and a hint of recognition at the name.

Yes, Raider Ashildr, Lord Asgeirr informed me of your arrival. Welcome aboard. *Returning his approximation of a charming smile* You will find your Raid Leader within.

A slight inclination of the head, signifying the conversation is for now at an end.

Kar, satisfied with the evenings festivities looks eagerly forward to his rest. But first shares a drink with Leon for a quick rememberance of days gone, when our bodies did not take so long to recover from mead and old wounds.

we shall talk more tomorrow Leon

Seeking out Regina and mulling over the words of his Lord and Lady, Kar Tollerson, Captain of the Cunning Serpent, goes to find bed and his beardnet.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by The Bindoner »

Handson, a scruffy figure holding a drinking horn, approaches Remington:

Hi boss, welcome to the team. Not gonna lie, it's good to have someone above me in the whipping order. When you pass down the punches you won't hit so hard, I reckon. * he grins amiably at his “joke”, but it is obviously not a joke to him * So, you're a Drive Shaman? Good idea, wish I'd thought of that. I'm just the guy who can manage the power flow and keep the thing running. Come on, let's clean the place up and I'll show you 'round.

Spotting the other Engineer leaning against a pallet of spares in the shadows of the hold he calls out:

Hey, Gris, give us a hand getting the drive-room ready for work. Better do it now than in the morning.

Gris waves acknowledgement, then reaches out to place his hand reassuringly on the shoulder of Ingrid, who is standing deeper in the shadows between pallets. The two of them cross the hold and join Handson:

Gris: Yeah, sooner we tidy the place up the better. Keeps us out of the way, and for a good reason. Let's go.

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”