Chapter 18 - Further Below Strod

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 18 - Further Below Strod

#121 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, it would. KB will have to move forward, and there's the casting time, but if he gets the spell off and successfully engulfs the wizard he's in deep poo.

And yeah, Angus would have a hard time getting around the ogre - can't really get a bow shot off while being pummeled.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by onlyme »

I cant see Dandelion altering her action. No way she gets past the ogre, and hopefully he blocks the door from any directed wizardly attack.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by tkrexx »

If Hyde has room to also engage the Ogre:

Hyde stomps on the dead carcass toward it's still living partner and gives it a stab, bellowing the entire way.

Init: [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

To hit: [1d20+3] = 18+3 = 21

Dmg: [1d12+6] = 7+6 = 13

Crit: [1d100] = 6

If Hyde is not able to squeeze in for a hack:

The surly Half-Orc sheathes his blade and retrieves his bow, in the possibility he gets an opening for a shot at the Purple Man.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by AleBelly »

That’s a critical hit for Hyde. What a savage. Roll a d100 if you’re so inclined
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Bluehorse »

Range should be 90' to create a 20' fart sphere, right? Will it still take more than 1 turn? I still think it is out best bet. Leave Reverse Kablamicus puking his guts up while we take out the ogre then pick him off with a few well placed arrows.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by AleBelly »

Range of Hyde's Fart is 30', and it produces a spherical cloud 40' in diameter. The way I read this spell is that the center of the sphere can be more than 30' away, but the AOE must include a point no more than 30' from KB when he casts.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by AleBelly »

Bluehorse wrote:So K needs to be where the Ogre currently is in order to drop the cloud in the middle of the room, correct?
Yes, poor old dead Ogre 1. Please give me an initiative roll for KB (or I can do it).
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by tkrexx »

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by AleBelly »

Angus swings his blade at the remaining ogre, but the sword deflects harmlessly off its thick, olive-hued hide.

"Huah huah huah!" it laughs, its cruel eyes staring down as it swings its enormous club at the ranger again, hitting poor Angus on the foot! It hurts like hell but causes little damage.

Ogre attack Angus [1d20] = 14, crit [1d100] = 52, damage [1d10] = 1

As Hyde and Dandelion advance to help their ally, The party hears a cry from the quadruple wizard in the other room. "Zeno paradoxum!" he yells, his lackadaisical manner of speech replaced by something forceful and powerful. 5(!) bolts spring forth from his fingers and fly over the heads of Hyde and Dandelion, rushing forward to help their ally. All five bolts strike poor Kablamicus, who was just beginning to stride forward with an incredibly stinky egg in his hand!

Wizard init [1d6] = 4
Magic missile [5d4+5] = 10+5 = 15

The bolts hit KB before he could begin casting, so he doesn't get the spell off...but he doesn't lose it either.

The mage bleeds from several blackened wounds. And his hat is smoldering! Sophomore remains unhurt, but KB is in bad shape!

The wizard watches in a combination of fear and amazement as Hyde and Dandelion cut the second ogre to ribbons!

The party hears Yenny's voice chanting just inside the wizard room and then it stops - the wizard(s) hear it too! The four wizards turn simultaneously to look to their right, too.

He reaches into his pouch. And the whiny, lackadaisical voice returns "This aggression will not stand, man! You guys are ruining everything! I am going to f*ck you up bad!"

Actions?

P.S. Hyde's critical hit on the ogre was 'chest injuries, die in 1-4 days.' Hyde the executioner put it out of its misery.

Date: 31 Culling, Year 44
Time: 10:34
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny, Galan invisible
Light bearers: Yenny's bracelet, Angus' bullseye lantern through 11:45
Injuries: Angus lightly wounded, Kablamicus heavily wounded
Enemy status: Ogres dead, wizard at full health
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Bluehorse »

Kabla...dang that hurt...

The wizard groans from his wounds and looks at Sophomore. Get somewhere safe... stupid bird...! Someone help me forward..! He pushes himself up still holding his egg. Ha! And his professors had said all those party games would never come in useful later in life! Triumph again! He moves forward less gracefully but no less proud and determined and hurls the egg as he calls out his spell!

Stinking Cloud... I hope!

[1d6] = 5
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by AleBelly »

Bluehorse wrote:Kabla...dang that hurt...

The wizard groans from his wounds and looks at Sophomore. Get somewhere safe... stupid bird...! Someone help me forward..! He pushes himself up still holding his egg. Ha! And his professors had said all those party games would never come in useful later in life! Triumph again! He moves forward less gracefully but no less proud and determined and hurls the egg as he calls out his spell!

Stinking Cloud... I hope!

[1d6] = 5
Kablamicus is in range to hit the wizards now (he was able to move forward last round...I left that out of the description.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by onlyme »

Would/Should Dandelion know what stinking cloud does or what he might be trying to use? Obviously, she would expect some sort of fireball or other missiled magic. Is she in fear of getting caught up in it, if she attacks melee? or does it go off earlier since he started the spell prior?

Also- how exactly would those magic missiles bypass the ogre and us to hit K behind us?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by AleBelly »

I think it's fair to assume that given all the time the party spends together, they've generally described tactics and are aware of what types of abilities each other has. So, Dandelion will know what Kablamicus is trying to do. Even if the cloud goes off before melee, it will last for several rounds so if Dandelion enters it she'll need to make a saving throw.

The description of magic missile clearly states that the target is hit, even if partially concealed. I wouldn't think of it as traditional missile fire. Fireballs are a different story...
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Zhym »

onlyme wrote:Also- how exactly would those magic missiles bypass the ogre and us to hit K behind us?
With magic! :D

With the ogres dead thanks in no small part to himself—or, well, any part, really—Angus quickly tries to figure out how to fight a wizard what looks like four wizards. He decides he's got to hit as many of the images as quickly as he can. Or try, anyhow.

Angus grabs Bloody Useless and fires a pair of arrows at the (i)mage(s).

Short bow (THAC0 17): TH: [1d20] = 13, Dmg: [1d6] = 6, Crit: [1d100] = 9
Short bow (THAC0 17): TH: [1d20] = 2, Dmg: [1d6] = 1, Crit: [1d100] = 19
Initiative: [1d6] = 6
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by onlyme »

DAndelion will quickly pull out her bow and hastily fire a couple shots.
sht bow [1d20] = 14; dam [1d6] = 3; crit [1d100] = 91; init [1d6] = 4
sht bow [1d20] = 14; dam [1d6] = 3; crit [1d100] = 71; init [1d6] = 4

(I rolled a 3rd one just to make sure the dice were not stuck...)
I believe she has thac0 18 for her bow shots, so either hits ac4)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Zhym »

That's three hits against AC4. Let's hope he didn't think to cast Shield before opening the door!

That brings up a question: if an MU with an AC of, say, 6 casts Shield and then Mirror Image, does a missile attack on one of the images succeed against AC3, or AC6?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:That's three hits against AC4. Let's hope he didn't think to cast Shield before opening the door!

That brings up a question: if an MU with an AC of, say, 6 casts Shield and then Mirror Image, does a missile attack on one of the images succeed against AC3, or AC6?
Usually I have mirror images at an AC of 10. In some instances a dex bonus may apply, but generally the mage is only trying to dodge missiles aimed at the real him. Same with any sort of magic item or spell - they protect him and not the image.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”