Expedition: Blackjack/Emmisaries to the Orcs - 01 Oct 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Blackjack/Emmisaries to the Orcs - 01 Oct 20

#101 Post by Spearmint »

Guhra?
... Marullus been on the goblin wine again!

Amistad is keen to press on. We have the weapons of the surrendered orcs in the wagon though no doubt they can rear from stores in the stronghold. I am happy with the burials, let the orcs do with their bodies as they see fit. We should warn them we will not tolerate desecration of the cairns should we find that so in the future.

Two things for Amistad. There was a mention before of some small figure taken in a sack which I thought was described to relate to a person not an animal. We would like that person released to us.

Secondly, after the black dragon has been fed I would like to see it freed with communicating to it that it may follow us freely or fly away.

Then move out along the road towards the mountain.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

I would recommend we move on rather than stay. I don't trust the fragile peace.

There was some mention of 'prisoners' below. Are these orcs or others? I would leave orcs to their own justice. Free anyone else. About the feral dragon. It needs healing and feeding. Freeing it might provoke it to wrath but I understand Amistad's view on not leaving it chained and a 'trained' dragon would at least up our status. My thoughts would be for Bera the ranger or Amistad himself to bear that burden if they want to try.

Issachar translates and uses his cleric prayers to heal up the wounded of the troops if injuries remain.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Marullus »

Piers?
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers mulls over the various options about dealing with the dragon.

"The thing that most concerns me is how is it related to the one we just killed? That is bound to color any conversation we have with it".

"And of course, while it remains chained up it will promise us absolutely anything. We'll only find out how truthful it is once we release that chain. I've no desire to see any creature chained up and treated like that. But it's still a dragon, not a yard-dog".

"My inclination is to leave it there. But talk to it if you wish. It may promise to fly away and never bother us again. And actually mean it".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

Okay, good talk. :) I need a clear final action regarding the dragon and I will move forward.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"I have only a rudimentary knowledge of dragon kind and I must say my experience is only coloured by fear and dread. But I am loathe to leave it chained and injured. It was mistreated by orcs and would fear and hate them. I am not sure it would understand we mean it no harm seeing as a black dragon head decorates the wagon. But be that as it may, Akaara speaks some Morlockian vocabulary which may be the closest thing to any draconian mother tongue it understands. We are willing at least to free it and capricious or grateful it may chose it's own path."

Akaara approaches the tower it is confined in with Amistad and an orc jailor. She speaks to the dragon through the cell door grill so she can see into the chamber if us contained in. "Blessings to you, child of the ancient ones. We aspire to free you from these chains and restraints. We mean you no harm. The cruel chieftain has been slain, she will harass and torment you no more. She chose the way of hate and we respect her choice. We are choosing peace. Respect our choice." It does not appear to go well.

rolled a 9 & 11 for conversing with dragon.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

The group agrees that moving on with the dawn and sleeping later (-1 to all rolls) is wiser than tempting the fragile relationship with Shagrol. The group has the upper hand, and uses it to demand all Non-humans prisoners be released by the orcs, that the orc's steel weapons will be taken and not returned, and that the gates were (already) ceremonially dismantled. The large sack is brought out and a bound and gagged Halfling is deposited in your wagon, unconscious.

Shagrol has agreed to trade relations with the south and will send a caravan to Pinewood Grove to establish first trade. They already know ogres are welcome and it increases their trust. They appreciate the respect given to orcish dead and agree to not desecrate the stone Cairns.

Spearmint sends Akkara to the cliff-side of the tower with a gaoler, discussing the dragon. The beast continues to crouch at the end of it's heavy chains as Akkara speaks to it in human, orc, and Morlock, encouraging it to accept a way of peace. When she then insists on it's release, the orc looks terrified but then relents. It pulls the pins and the chain is loosed.

The other orcs within sight begin running and screaming. While the dragon remained still and unresponsive before, it iclearly understands the release of it's chain as a clear message. The dragon's first move is to release a massive gout of acid from it's maw - there is no hope for Akkara or the Gaoler, nor three other orcs running away but still within range. The five of them melt before your eyes, flesh sloughing instantly from bone, the fleshy components hitting the ground separately, before corroding into ooze on the dirt.

The dragon lets out a triumphant roar as it launches from the ground, flapping frantically to make the top of the tower 50' above, poised with it's sinuous neck pointing down at your group of humans on horseback in the courtyard as the orcs all already dive for cover.

Actions!
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

"oops"

I think it was a brave try and only suffered from Akaara's poor rolls. I might have placed a sanctuary spell on her prior to speaking but that might not have stopped an area of effect weapon. So sorry she died. Was there no attack roll or initiative or saving throw vs breath weapon?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Marullus »

There's no initiative roll because you sacrificed initiative. You decided to release it and wait to see what choice it made.

There's no attack roll on a breath weapon.

There is a save for half damage, but half damage is equally fatal for Akkara; that's why I described the unequivocal and brutal death in a single round to give you the contextual clue.

...Actions! :)
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

would put in some curses but it is a family forum. I am not sure of the distances, but I think at the top of the tower it remains too far away to bite or spit at us and we are too far to attack. If it comes within range with a swooping attack we do the following from the wagon.

Trick fires harpoon. [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 damage [1d8] = 4
javelin attack [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 damage [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2
Bera misses with her arrows.

The Sgt and his men form up into a line, several feet apart to lessen any effects of another AoE attack.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

At 50' up, you just saw it breathe acid for twice that distance. It is short range (+1) for a long bow or crossbow, normal range for a shortbow, and long range (-1) with javelin or spear.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Very disappointed the dragon didn't respond favourably and cut to the bone is retainer gets eviscerated right before his eyes. Bad decisions, they fall upon his shoulder alone.

"Split the men. Seperate for space," he gives some rather obvious advice to the Sgt as the men lift lances and steady their warhorses. His javelin throw perhaps a pinprick to the creature. Amistad stays by the back of the wagon where the other dragon head is hung. He rather hopes the creature takes flight given his freedom.

Initiative Roll [1d6] = 1
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Jernau35 »

Sir Piers recalls the attack of the giant rocs on the expedition to Scatha's lair. He hopes that the same trick will work twice as he calls out to Baudh.

"Sun Father! Bring your light to blind the eyes of this accursed, treacherous creature!"

Casting Light to blind it. Range 120'
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

has a plan, as Hannibal said,"I like it when a plan comes together"

The priest casts 'Sanctuary' upon himself and heads to the tower floor. He runs over the sloppy mess of the orcs and Akaara, and tries to put the pin back in place to restrain the dragon. It cannot fly being injured and made it before to the top of the tower to leer at us but not much further due to the chain restraining it. Issachar hopes the length of chain has not since worked free of the beast's collar since it is still within the length of chain it had before. So he tries to manacle the creature once more.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Marullus »

OOC note:
Stating Amistad's direction to Sgt. Danziger and his men is fine, but I want to be clear that they are a DM-controlled separate unit and act on their own imperatives.

The other NPCs are acting as retainers - they are loyal to the PC they're working for (subject to morale checks based on CHA score) and count against the max-retainers allowed (by CHA score). They will attempt to faithfully execute their PC bosses direction (within their morale). They also are full party members and get a 1/2 share of the XP for the expedition each.

Sgt. Danziger is not a Retainer, and his men don't act the same way. They have their own direction (but I won't pull that card often). In this case, they are here to be a show of force for the ArchDuke to lend validity to the negotiations for trade and peace with the orcs. Rules for the NPC force in this case are different - if you want to command them to do something outside their own interests, you'll need to win a CHA check (under house rules). For you, they are friendly and that's functionally same as a morale check because they're friendly, but it is possible for their reactions to your leadership to cool and this to get harder. More importantly, they don't get a 1/2 share of XP and problems you have them resolve for you grant no XP to the group.

The fight against Bulak and the dragon was fully engaged by both the knights and you, so I'll give you half-XP (as if you fled and let them finish) instead of zero XP. (That's still better than adding an additional 12 half-shares to the expedition XP dilution.) The knights are the only ones who fought the orc troops, so no XP for your group. The knights are smarter and flee the dragon immediately, so are not in the current dragon conflict (you get full XP).

Hope that helps.
"Fools! What are you doing?" exclaims Sgt. Danziger in a hoarse whisper to Amistad as the dragon is released. His eyes go wide. "Quick! Regroup without the palisade!" shouts Sgt. Danziger to his men, the mounted knights moving without hesitation to clear the tower yard as the dragon flaps upward to the tower's pinnacle. The orcs, likewise, have utterly dissappeared into the tower and out-buildings.

Amistad and his loyal party members regroup in the face of the dragon's wroth, hoping that it changes its mind and merely flies away. Piers spreads out while Issachar begins running towards the other side of the tower where the dragon was previously pinned while Amistad and his archers take some measure of cover behind the group's heavily-laden wagon.

Unfortunately, the visible wrath of the beast's countenance dispells that hope. It surveys the scurrying prey beneath its perch and vindictively sprays another gout of acid down upon the best cluster it can - those hiding behind the wagon. The acid comes down in a corrosive blast. Amistad has the best cover, taking a partial blow, the acid burning into his armor, defacing his lion-crested greaves, and his exposed flesh. (-13) To the horror of his eyes, ears, and nose, he must witness Trick and Bera scream and melt before his eyes, their flesh, muscle, and sinew sloughing off almost instantly as the gout of liquid deluges them. (-25 each, both fatal) To his momentary surprise, the wagon itself also screams - he then realizes that the tied-up sack on the cart also was fully soaked in acid and whatever prisoner was within also uttered a high-pitched scream with their last breath before their lungs disolved. (-25) While the acid is pitting and scoring the wooden planks of the wagon, it appears to have not hit the wheels, couplings, or other critical components and remains functional. Choco, the draft horse tethered to its front shies and winnies in terror, beginning to bolt towards the palisade gates and dragging the wagon's cover with him. Amistad can roll a [1d20] WIS check to control the horse as his action in lieu of attacking this turn.

"Auuugh!" grunts Amistad, heaving his javelin upwards at the beast, the tip finding brief purchase on its flank before the dragon shakes it loose and the projectile tumbles to the ground far below. (-2 hp)

Issachar prays to Gwanwen for protection of his life as he sprints around the side of the tower towards where the beast was pinned. He does, in fact, see the great forged chain dangling from the creature's neck as it perches atop the tower, swinging back and forth. It will be a challenge, but he can try to grab it if his timing is right. You can move to reach it next round and do a to-hit roll vs AC 8 to grasp it. Then you need a [1d20] STR check on the round after to wrestle it back into the clamps and lock them.

Issachar doesn't have access to the actual Sanctuary spell; that is available to Eruanna, not to Gwanwen. You have spells from Lab Lord Basic -- See the Dieties thread for your spells available from the AEC book.

Piers stands confidently, stepping aside from the others and calling upon Baudh's might to blind this terrifying creature of hate and malice. There is a flash of illumination near the dragon's head against the ruddy dawn sky, but it dissipates with a shake of the dragon's head and another roar of anger. The beast swivels its head and fixes its gaze on Piers... an unmistakable look of malice and revenge.

...round 2!

Date: 10 October 2021, 7:30am
Light: Sunlight (dawn)
Effects: none
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Choco the horse (moderately wounded), Amistad (Moderately Wounded)

Dragon init [1d6] = 6
Dragon acts first.
Dragon breathes acid at the cluster of the wagon. +2 bonus to save for partial cover, affects Amistad, Trick, Bera, the prisoner, and the wagon itself.

Saves v Breath [1d20] = 12[1d20] = 9[1d20] = 9[1d20] = 4[1d20] = 18
Amistad: 11-2= 9 (roll = 12) PASS (24hp - 13 = 11hp)
Trick: Level 0 Cartwright Apprentice: 17-2 = 15 (roll = 9) FAIL (Fatal, either way)
Bera: Level 3 Fighter: 15-2=13 (roll =9) FAIL (15 hp - 25 = -10, Fatal)
Bound Prisoner: Fatal either way, too few HP.
Cart: for breakage (roll = 18) PASS
Dragon save v Light [1d20] morale [2d6]
Dragon save v Light [1d20] = 17
(Dragon wins save, dragon not blind.)
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

THAC0 vs chain [1d20] = 14 Strength test. [1d20] = 11

Grasps the chain and wrestles the pin in place. Oblivious to the disaster unfolding around him.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

The effects of the dragon breath are really harsh and brutal. For Amistad, his hopes and ambitions are just as melted away. His fatal errors and ignorance, arrogance leading to the unnecessary deaths. It does snap him to attention and he acts more decisively. Initiative Roll [1d6] = 6 wisdom check vs 9 [1d20] = 3, grabbing his drafts horses and reining them in from bolting away.

we actually have two draft horses, I bought the second one purposely to pull the wagons weight in the expedition preparation.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Marullus »

...Piers?
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Jernau35 »

Having been face to face with one angry dragon already in his adventuring career, Piers decides he'd rather avoid another encounter. He digs his spurs into the flanks of his horse and heads out the gate, heading for the nearest treeline.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Marullus »

Amistad thinks quickly, leaping aboard the wagon and grabbing the reins as the horses begin to bolt. He is able to coax them and calm them, keeping them from departing the palisade and doing harm to themselves or the wagon-load of gear. Issachar leaps and grabs the swinging chain, sliding his forearm through one link and locking his elbow within to ensure the beast cannot escape, hopeful that he'll be able to drag the chain to its latch a few feet away and get it closed.

The dragon roars its hate and rage, looking squarely at Piers, the cleric of Baudh resplendant in his own dragonscale armor.
Piers, however, is no fool. He wheels on his steed and spurs it to a gallop, trying to make it out the palisade and up the mountainside to some form of cover or safety as fast as hooves can fly, hoping the dragon cannot fly faster. That hope, however, seems dashed as the dragon hurls itself off the tower's parapet and flies in pursuit. Though Piers has a lead, it is clear the dragon is significantly swifter awing. There is no way Piers will outpace the wyrm.

Meanwhile, behind the tower and oblivious to Piers' plight as he heaves the massive steel chain, Issachar finds his own plan is not going as he expected. The chain abruptly goes taut as the dragon leaps from the tower, then yanks the cleric upward! Holding firmly to the chain, he works to regain footing, or grip on a window ledge, or anything, as he skids up the tower's side.

As Issachar is yanked over the lip and onto the roof, he gets his feet in front of him and, with significant strength, manages to catch his feet on the roofline crenelations on the other side! He heaves on the chain and manages to choke the dragon up short, his corded muscles straining. The dragon squawks awkwardly as it finds its neck pulled backwards and falters, momentarily touching down on the yard within the palisade as it flaps its wings furiously to launch upward.

The dragon is halted, allowing Piers a clean escape. It is 30' from Amistad and his wagon, at least for a brief moment, and it is leashed by Issachar, who now stands (rather unexpectedly) atop the orc's watchtower...

Round 3, actions!

Date: 10 October 2021, 7:32am
Light: Sunlight (dawn)
Effects: none
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Choco the horse (moderately wounded), Amistad (Moderately Wounded)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”