Character Generation

atpollard
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Generation

#101 Post by Urson »

atpollard:

I tossed in a couple of items not on the lists, and tried to estimate their costs based on the listed prices of stuff. It's all on the character sheet.
FA FO
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by ffilz »

Urson wrote:atpollard:

I tossed in a couple of items not on the lists, and tried to estimate their costs based on the listed prices of stuff. It's all on the character sheet.
I'm starting to list out some of my gear... I'm not sure of prices, but I've got 30,000 credits...

I'm taking work (doctor/surgeon) clothing above social standing as that seems appropriate for a published and respected doctor...

Do all PC's get Gun Combat-0? They don't get Gun Combat through skills, but have "Weapon" on mustering out that can be a gun or a blade (if you don't do the all PCsget level-0 in all weapons, you might still want to add level-0 got Gun and or Blade if they are in the mustering out benefits).

I'm not sure what other gear we should be considering.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#103 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote:

I'm starting to list out some of my gear... I'm not sure of prices, but I've got 30,000 credits...

I'm taking work (doctor/surgeon) clothing above social standing as that seems appropriate for a published and respected doctor...

Do all PC's get Gun Combat-0? They don't get Gun Combat through skills, but have "Weapon" on mustering out that can be a gun or a blade (if you don't do the all PCsget level-0 in all weapons, you might still want to add level-0 got Gun and or Blade if they are in the mustering out benefits).

Doctor is a strange class in the respect that it is the one of the VERY FEW class that didn't have Gun Combat on the skill tables.

Since you got a weapon on Muster Out, take Combat-0 with that weapon [(Pistol Cbt-0) or (Rifle Cbt-0)].
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by ffilz »

atpollard wrote:
ffilz wrote:

Doctor is a strange class in the respect that it is the one of the VERY FEW class that didn't have Gun Combat on the skill tables.

Since you got a weapon on Muster Out, take Combat-0 with that weapon [(Pistol Cbt-0) or (Rifle Cbt-0)].
Ok, I've amended to mustering out with a revolver and added Pistol-0. Samuel will purchase a Cutlass.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Monsieur Rose »

How are we dealing with some mustering results? High passage, travellers, etc?
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by atpollard »

Monsieur Rose wrote:How are we dealing with some mustering results? High passage, travellers, etc?
You get them! ;)

High Passage = First Class Ticket to ANYWHERE.
Low Passage = Third Class Ticket (steerage) to any City of your choice.
Traveller's Aid Society = It exists here and still costs Cr 1,000,000 to join. It just has a slightly different function and benefits. If anyone gets TAS membership, I will tell you about it.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Inferno »

Hey atpollard,

I don't own the rules. Can you please let me know what my starting cash is, and what gear (if any) I've acquired so far? Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Leitz »

Okay, if I understand correctly P.T. Codswallop spent four terms in the "Other" career. That gives you 4 1d6 rolls on either Cash or Stuff. You can do a maximum of 3 rolls on Cash. You also get Cr (500 * Soc) for home area TL appropriate gear. See the resource pages.

Cash Table, get +1 since PT has Gambling skill.
  1. 1,000
  2. 5,000
  3. 10,000
  4. 10,000
  5. 10,000
  6. 50,000
  7. 100,000
Stuff Table Yes, the table maxes out at 5.
  1. Low Passage
  2. +1 Int
  3. +1 Edu
  4. Gun
  5. High Passage
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Inferno »

Thanks. If I roll a "6" on the "Stuff" table, I get nothing?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Leitz »

Yup.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Inferno »

Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Inferno »

Ok. I've rolled for cash and stuff, and updated my sheet, here: viewtopic.php?p=393262#p393262

Atpollard, I don't have an extensive list of what things cost so I made up some prices. Please feel free to correct me. Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by AsenRG »

No character sheet other than this one.

As for "having danced a gig", that's basically guaranteed - at least during Jacques' hunting trip (assuming he wasn't by himself). He's got Streetwise, after all: ypu learn that by going to seedy places where people actually dance.
But my thought was that Remy is meant to be a Filipino-style warrior. And the legend goes that the local styles were masked as a dance... (I believe that the locals just liked dancing and so turned the repetitions into a dance).
Of course I suspect that there should be an unfamiliarity penalty due to the different dances. But even then, Remy has more than decent chances.
AsenRG wrote:OK, let's see what we can do.
Rolling again, because screw probability! No, I'm not likely to get an average of 8 with 6 rolls that average 7, but that's fine:)!
His name is
Remy Hernandez

[2d6] = 8[2d6] = 6[2d6] = 8[2d6] = 5[2d6] = 4[2d6] = 5
UPP: 885645
Hey, an illiterate Barbarian fits. (The guy that prompted my Manilla comment says in his biographic book that he couldn't read in his 20ies and learned later).
[2d6] = 11
Accepted with honours! Well, I guess it was the only available career... 8-)

Final UPP: 995645
Brawling-1
Blade Combat-5
Bow Combat-0
Forward Observer (Recon)-0
Hunting-0
Mechanical (bone)-0
Mechanical (cloth)-0
Mechanical (leather)-0
Mechanical (metal)-0
Mechanical (stone)-0
Mechanical (wood)-0
Pistol Combat-1
Rifle Combat-1
Streetwise-1
Also, I'm pretty sure these guys start at 14.

Survival [2d6] = 11 more than successful, too.
Position [2d6] = 5 NOPE!
Service Skills [1d6] = 3 Advanced [1d6] = 5 Re-enlistment [2d6] = 10

Blade Combat-1...but with the "free" Blade Combat-1 skill, I get Blade Combat-2, actually.
Streetwise-1
OK, this guy is shaping up like his prototype.

Reenlistment, we get a second term.
Survival [2d6+2] = 8+2 = 10 Position [2d6] = 9
Oh, this one got position!

Survival [2d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 Promotion [2d6+1] = 7+1 = 8
Promotion [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
No promotion, but it's something.
Service Skills [1d6] = 1 Personal [1d6] = 2 Re-enlistment [2d6] = 7
Brawling-1
Str-9 (which also gives me a +1 to attack with, say, daggers)
Reenlistment successful!

Survival [2d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 Promotion [2d6+1] = 7+1 = 8
He only survived due to his ability to hit hard!
An enemy had found him with his arms undrawn. The young guy headbutted him so hard, the enemy felt the need to lay low and take a nap.

Personal [1d6] = 5 Advanced [1d6] = 6 Re-enlistment [2d6] = 7
Dex+1
Gun Combat+1
Reenlistment successful
He's getting better and better with dodging and with using a gat, as they call'em. Any small thrower is a gat, whether it's a blowgun, or a cheap gun.
He prefers guns, though. If you can't reach an enemy to a honourable distance for bladework, do it cheap and dirty with a simple mechanism.
He's also being a very successful enforcer. Maybe he'd have more luck next time?

Survival [2d6+2] = 7+2 = 9 Promotion [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10
OK, so he makes it easily this time - I guess he's just using that gat he got from the headbutted enemy - and finally achieves a measure of status and respect.
Service Skills [1d6] = 6 Advanced [1d6] = 1 Re-enlistment [2d6] = 5
Wait, I got Gun Combat from the Service list, which is weighted towards bows and blades, but Blade Combat from the Advanced list?
Ah well...the dice can be fickle, that's why we love them :mrgreen: !
Reenlistment unsuccessful, so he had to go for the life of a Traveller. He's 30 yo, and a veritable combat machine despite that.

Also, I've got 6 rolls for reenlistment...but are you kidding me? Odds are good he's going to be penniless!
So I put them all in Benefits. I can roll for money...I don't have to, and I think the odds of getting any sum that's worth it, are best described as "crap" :D !

Benefits [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 3
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
I need to check what I've got when I get home, but no skill increases for him!
...OK, great :twisted: !
Getting everything from 1 to 6 means he gets a blade, 2 more levels of Blade skill, Low Passage and High Passage!
I couldn't have asked for a better roll. And Remy is a Blade-5 GrandMaster, no ifs and buts here 8-) !
And, of course, no money. Hey, does another PC want to employ me? I don't eat that much, as long as it's meat, but fish counts :twisted: !

(I'll leave it to atpollard which PC he'd want me to play, actually. I like them both).
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Leitz »

And if people are enjoying themselves, you can mess up and no one cares. :)
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#115 Post by AsenRG »

Leitz wrote:And if people are enjoying themselves, you can mess up and no one cares. :)
Of course. But the point is to leave a good first impression* and to give a good example for our gentleman, nothing more 8-) !
No, I don't expect he'd succeed in dancing the clothes off any of the ladies present, or at least not at the moment.

*Especially with the NPCs, you guys can make your own conclusions anyways :mrgreen: !

BTW, how did we move from the OOC thread to chargen? Did I forget to copy the text in the OOC?
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Leitz »

AsenRG wrote:BTW, how did we move from the OOC thread to chargen? Did I forget to copy the text in the OOC?
No clue. Still, I'd agree that your high blade skill suggests a good bit of body control. The only suggestion would be to put a copy of your character sheet in the "List of Characters" thread.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Zhym »

Hi, everyone!

I'm raring to go and have started rolling up a character. The result so far is interesting:

STR: [2d6] = 11 DEX: [2d6] = 5 END: [2d6] = 5
INT: [2d6] = 9 EDU: [2d6] = 11 SOC: [2d6] = 2

So that's B559B2 in the Traveller shorthand, right? Strong, kinda clumsy and quick to get winded, and a social outcast. But reasonably intelligent and quite well educated.

I don't have the rulebook, so I do have some questions.

First, does the career matter for anything other than the set of skills that are available and the rolls needed to enlist, not die, get a commission/promoted, and muster out? IOW, once the PC hits action in the game, are two PCs with different former careers but the same skills at the same levels essentially the same (modulo attributes and such, of course)?

Second, it looks like not all professions have commission & promotion rolls. Is that just for military-style careers?

Third, what is the effect of getting a commission or promotion? It doesn't seem to give extra skills, from what I can see. Or is that in the mustering out table, which I can't find?

Finally, is there any skillset or career that this group needs, or does Traveller not work like that?

Thanks!
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by AsenRG »

Zhym wrote: First, does the career matter for anything other than the set of skills that are available and the rolls needed to enlist, not die, get a commission/promoted, and muster out? IOW, once the PC hits action in the game, are two PCs with different former careers but the same skills at the same levels essentially the same (modulo attributes and such, of course)?
That's for atpollard, but as far as skills go, I doubt it.
OTOH, a Marine PC with only Cutlass-1 and Revolver-2 and a Rogue PC with the same skills would have different contacts and possibly outlook on life. It's unwise to underestimate contacts, IME.
Second, it looks like not all professions have commission & promotion rolls. Is that just for military-style careers?
Usually yes, though some non-military careers do have those. Check the houserules, though.
Third, what is the effect of getting a commission or promotion? It doesn't seem to give extra skills, from what I can see. Or is that in the mustering out table, which I can't find?
Actually, they do give you an extra roll on an available table. And some promotions give you automatic skills on top of that.
Finally, is there any skillset or career that this group needs, or does Traveller not work like that?
The answers might vary...
But IME, Traveller doesn't work like that.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Zhym »

Thanks.

If it doesn't really work like that, maybe I try to figure out what someone who is strong, reasonably smart, and surprisingly well-educated for his station tries to do for a living. Probably some sort of military service, hoping to advance in the ranks and gain social status that way.

Or he goes into a life of crime. ;)

Maybe he tries for the navy, then goes into piracy if he can't make it there (or can't re-enlist)? Is that a feasible career path?
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Leitz »

A few notes. You can rearrange your stats as you like, or keep them as is. The choice of career is a lot about the skill selection and mustering out benefits. However, atpollard tends to integrate character background so consider what you'd be interested in playing more than what's needed. For example, Remy and Diana are both good in at least one form of combat, but their backgrounds have a significantly greater impact on their play.

So, from what you have, several options arise. Dozens, actually, but I type slowly. Here are a few, mostly to show what Traveller can do.

- A sailor that worked recovery operations. Go some where, help refit and rebuild a ship. You did a lot of travel and had a lot of time to learn from the places you went and people you met.

- A poor kid who paid for college by bare knuckles boxing, and then became an explorer.

- An intimate companion for wealthy ladies; buff body and intelligent conversation.

Pretty much any career you like, you can integrate your characteristics and goals into.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”