Chp. 9 - Keep on Keeping On

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chp. 9 - Keep on Keeping On

#101 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal moves away from the undersized unruly urinator.

Take it easy there, shorty! You pissed on me, remember!

Fingal rushes off in his wet pants to see if his friends saw anything from the other door.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

Grognardsw wrote:"Only the best, good sir! The Lord package offers superior accomodation in a luxury suite, with personal valet and love slave. Our Adventurer Package includes massage, armor cleaning, and weapon sharpening."
Porphyry releases a long, theatrical sigh, heavy with exaggerated weariness. "So you are prepared to accommodate the depraved and the violent. Very well, should my companions care to join me under this roof, they will be pleased. Here is what I require of you: a private room with a stout, locking door. A bed stuffed with fresh hay. A hot bath. A large writing desk, pots of ink and something to write on. If we are staying longer than the one night, I will have additional requests, such as a work table covered in something that resists stains. In addition, I would consider it a premium if you did not annoy me with unnecessary solicitations. Now, how much should I expect such an arrangement to cost?"
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Grognardsw »

Wrenly, Fingal, Wulfhart and Groyn catch up with Asherrion and his new friend

Asherrion smiles, "Hello there, my new friend. I'm called Asherrion and the lizardman giving you a hug is Swilbosh, also a friend. What might your name be? And where might you be going in such a great hurry?"

"I'm Kane McSnoogles, and perhaps you could tell the big green guy to let go of me," says the hobbit, squirming in Swilbosh's scaly grasp. "As to what I'm doing, I'm just taking care of business." He winks.
Meanwhile, at Metzner's Magnificent Manse, Porphry the satyr presents his accomodation demands.

"Certainly sir! Only the finest of hay, freshly cut, will fill your bed. Our establishment is most secure and safe. If our love slave is not of interest, we do have many fine animals that you could... Of course not, I see by your face you are above such matters. To answer your question, the daily cost is 25 gold pieces. That includes breakfast."
Last edited by Grognardsw on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry laughs in the mans face. "Twenty five gold? I would expect a room for as many coppers! Forget hay, for 25 gold, I should be sleeping in the lap of Aphrodite, lulled by divine lullabye. I suppose foreign dignitaries pass through this fish-swamp of a town on a regular time table, that you can stay in business at such rates?

"I'm feeling generous, and disinclined to step back into the gutter outside and be accosted by streetwalkers. I will offer you a coin of purest gold. For three nights stay. That is a tidy profit for any innkeep. You'll agree, of course."
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion says, What kind of business are you in, Kane? Are you a footpad? You certainly padded away quickly from that establishment? Are you hiding from someone? Do you need our assistance to defend you? He doesn't look at all at Swilbosh and doesn't acknowledge Kane's upset at being held.
Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#106 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn McSnuggles, whom might ya be taking care of business for? You ain't work'n alone, are ye?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Grognardsw »

The clerk of Metzner's Magnificant Manse, whose front desk name plate proclaims as Blumius, almost sputters at Porphyry's counter-offer. "You- you-you- can't be serious my good man-goat! Such a pittance cannot secure even a stall in our stables! And as a matter of fact, we do entertain and accomodate dignitaries, merchants, and officials of the Realm quite regularly in their travels to the Keep. Why just this morning there departed Sir Tayne Tsaridian and his entourage."

"It seems the other inn in town will be more to your liking, good sir."

Meanwhile, down the street, the adventurers question Kane McSnoogles.

"My profession is one of trader, moving goods from one spot to another, if you know what I mean friend," says McSnoogles. He is perspiring heavily now as he becomes surrounded by the others. "I'm not hiding from anyone, and yes I work alone. Just rushing home to my wife and five hungry children. One of them is sick in fact. And another, the poor boy, has a club foot. I do my best to provide for them. You can understand that, right? You all look like...ah, family men. Can you let me go Mr. Green?"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Pulpatoon »

Grognardsw wrote:"Why just this morning there departed Sir Tayne Tsaridian and his entourage."

"It seems the other inn in town will be more to your liking, good sir."
The satyr starts in surprise, but then catches himself and adopts an air of nonchalance. "Perhaps so. I am parsimonious in my choice of lodgings, but not in libations. Could I procure a drop of liqueur before braving the streets outside, again?"

Porphyry will pay generously for the drink, and do his best to appear affable and not like a complete and utter creep for as long as he can keep the clerk buttonholed. "You say my dear bosom pal, Sir Tayne, has passed through? With entourage? Why, I was just sharing reminisces of the old reprobate with some fellow travelers! Tell me, did he look well? The syphilis acting up again? Was he headed back to the Keep, or elsewhere?"He keeps his bag of gold close at hand, supplementing the clerk's tip whenever he needs prodding.
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion smiles, Well now, is that all true? I can tell if you're lying friend, and I'd hate to see this beautiful friendship get off on the wrong foot.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#110 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal joins in the questioning.

Hi little feller. Pleased to meet ya! He gets a little too touchy freely with his handshake, checking to see if this is the halfling that took his items.

Pick Pokets (40) [1d100] = 38
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown

"Lying?! Goodness sakes! What would he do that for?" says Wrenly. "He is our new friend." Wrenly shakes his other hand warmly. He gives a surreptitious wink to Asherrion. "Tell me, friend, are there any shops dealing in the magical arts around this area? My monkey skull got scratched and I'd like to get it repaired."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart watches the proceedings closely, hand on the hilt of his sword in case things go sideways.
Hotgoblin

#113 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn

Maybe we should go somewheres else with him? We need to collect Porphyry, who knows who's ear he's cutting off, what I means is talking off!!! He waits to hear if McSnuggles changes his 'story'.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Grognardsw »

Blumius serves Porphry his drink.

"Aye, Sir Tayne it was and he was heading back to the Keep I believe." He pockets the satyr's gold. "He looked in fine enough form. Syphilis you say? I didn't know that. I can't stand that body guard of his. Gwar or something-or-other."

Meanwhile...

"I'm not lying!" rebukes McSnoogles. "I swear on my old mommy's heart! Now if you're my friend help me out here and let me go."

The hobbit glances at Wrenly. "Yes, there is an alchemy shop at the corner of Temple and King. They sell potions, scrolls and occasionally enchanted trinkets. The owner is quite eccentric."

Swilbosh the lizardman continues to hold the hobbit, while Wulfhart the northern warrior keeps a watchful eye.

Fingal shakes McSnoogles hand while brazenly accosting him."Hey, what the Hades is this?" yells the hobbit. "This man is robbing me! Help!" Fingal finds his stolen magic dagger.

A town guard, seeing a lizardman holding a hobbit surrounded by a motley crew, approaches the group.

"What's going on here?" he demands.
OM, because the hobbit is watching Fingal and shaking his hand, a pick pocket attempt isn't likely possible or would have a big modifier which your 38% roll wouldn't make.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Pulpatoon »

Grognardsw wrote:Blumius serves Porphry his drink.

"Aye, Sir Tayne it was and he was heading back to the Keep I believe." He pockets the satyr's gold. "He looked in fine enough form. Syphilis you say? I didn't know that. I can't stand that body guard of his. Gwar or something-or-other."
"Gwar? Doesn't ring a bell. He must be new on the payroll since I last saw Tayne. Unpleasant, you say? How so?"
How much money should I deduct?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by AleBelly »

Grognardsw wrote: A town guard, seeing a lizardman holding a hobbit surrounded by a motley crew, approaches the group.

"What's going on here?" he demands.
"This knave has a loose grasp of property laws" replies Wulfhart. "My friend here is simply retrieving what this tiny wretch took from him. Shall we hand him over to you? Are you an authority in this town?"
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion glares at Wulfhart and says to McSnoogles, Look, I know that's my friend's dagger. Now just relax, perhaps you misunderstood where it was. Why don't you tell the guards here that we're just having a nice chat and that they should be on their way? That way you and I can go to the pub and have a nice friendly conversation.

He hopes that the charm is still working on the little guy.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#118 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal sheathes HIS dagger and says nothing more, trying to play along with Asherrion's plan.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, I have authority," the guard answers Wulfhart.

Perhaps the hobbit wants to avoid deeper involvement of the city guard, or perhaps it's the effect of Asherrion's charm spell, but he nods at the gray alien-elf and says, "It's okay guard, it appears it was a misunderstanding after all."

The guard looks suspiciously at the group, but finding no other reason to linger he walks off down Vol's Way.

Meanwhile...

In the dining room of Metzner's Magnificent Manse, Porphyry continue to talk and tip (5 gp) Blumius.

"Well the man is a giant, wears revolting armor, and is an animal in his manners. I'm surprised he doesn't wear a leash. I suppose Tayne must see something in him. I guess he has qualifications for a bodyguard."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#120 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal whispers to Asherrion.

The little shite's still got my ring.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”