OOC Discussion II: The Return

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC Discussion II: The Return

#101 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i hate slimes.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Ironwill
Squire
Squire

#102 Post by Ironwill »

Zhym wrote:How a slime might have noticed Fendt:
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 6.04.45 PM.png
This. Invisibility means creatures can't see you, but you still interact with the world in all of the other ways. You still make sounds, still move air, still vibrate materials.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Zhym »

GreyWolfVT, weren't you saying just three days ago you were talking about having Fendt do something stupid so you could roll up a new character? :P

Not to imply this is an accommodation of that impulse. And lest you think I'm being a jerk here, this is straight out of the module:
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 6.25.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 6.25.37 PM.png (15.91 KiB) Viewed 332 times
It's easy to get into Strahd's castle. Getting out alive is the tricky part.
GreyWolfVT

#104 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah and I'm really starting to regret this module a lot. I'm not really a horror type of fan. I just thought hell werewolves, vampires might be different from the normal orcs and goblins. I was not incorrect I just did not expect this to be brutal. I'm also starting to wonder how i was talked into joining Against Giants lol that i expected to be brutual but man at the stage it is in now it is overly so.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Ironwill
Squire
Squire

#105 Post by Ironwill »

The scary thing is that you said this module was for levels 5-7. These guys are at the top end of that, and still wiping. Bad group makeup? or something else.
GreyWolfVT

#106 Post by GreyWolfVT »

not sure we had a paladin originally and he was killed on a failed save vs a banshee's wail. Then we kinda had the vampire that charmed half the new/old party so really I'd call it bad luck and terrible random roller luck at times we really needed better rolls. "Luck of the dice." she was a cruel mistress.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Zhym »

I think it's a combination of things. Too much time spent trying to rest in the middle of hostile territory is probably the #1 reason things haven't gone well. That led to the banshee encounter, which led to the group's paladin biting the dust. The #2 reason is probably bad saving throw rolls against a vampire's charm combined with splitting the party. If a large portion of the party can be made to attack the rest, it doesn't matter much how high the party levels are, the result is going to be a bloodbath.

A party of stated level definitely has the strength to defeat Strahd, especially with the Sunsword in their possession (there's an obstacle for the next party: Strahd will have the Sunsword! What will he do with it?). Of course, Strahd doesn't want a stand-up fight, not that he's a part of, anyway, so it's a matter of getting through everything the castle puts in your way.
GreyWolfVT

#108 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah the resting wasn't wise but we had lost everything the spell hurlers could do for the party so really it was needed. But also the paladin's barbaric start to the meeting Strahd in the castle might have been a bit more tactful but again i get the role playing part he is holy and was in the most foul of places aside from the nine hells itself. So his reaction was appropriate to an extent.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Stirling »

Greywolf:

sure invisibility isn't a safe bet for everything, you can be unseen but not unheard or smelled and you still leave footprints, blood trails, etc. Ravenlofts' adventure takes a party to be well organized and communicate well. Thought the strategy of just running room to room not a good one, we had Madam Eva's advice to follow but didn't pick a definite choice to follow, though the paladin I suspect would not have preferred to use such occultic directions anyway. Bad rolls vs Helga's charms did for Agrippo and others, the Sunsword was blazing bright when we met her but Agrippo got charmed straight away and thus put away the sword and took his spear 'to attack the flying creatures' and sending the cleric to the rear of the party. Still the uncharmed could have known she was a vampire and dealt with her earlier, during the rust monster encounter perhaps, but once she separated the party in the courtyard there was only going to be one outcome. Level drains and wandering monster encounters also reduced us. It's a game where this time the heroes have bitten off less than the villains can chew!

still some new recruits are adventuring in the town below if you can meet up with them....
GreyWolfVT

#110 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i'm quite sure even if Zyhm wanted us to make it back to town the wandering monsters and crap rolls will likely make that not possible. I'm quite sure I'll be having to make a new character soon enough. I also did not have or know the advice from the gypsy perhaps if i was in the game from the start it may have helped me. Also may have helped if we did not "lose" Ireena though I am wondering now if Strahd or another vampire took her or is she was not on his side from the start and we never knew it. Might explain some of the parties poor luck when Ireena was with them but then again we had crap luck even after she was gone. Far too many events that are intertwined as well as poor planning or bad luck goes all of them contributed to the "end" of the team and a large portion of the party.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Zhym »

Helga was right about at least one thing: however dangerous it may be outside at night, there's nothing out there more dangerous than what's in the castle.

It just happened that when Helga said that, she was referring in part to herself.
GreyWolfVT

#112 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well yeah that does make sense though. She kind of has a bit of an ego not that it is not justified compared to us she is more powerful we're more like insignificant ants in comparison. So tell me when do we see the werewolves :P

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by Cwreando »

And he's worried about the parties levels with multiple vampires running loose? We could be level 9's and not make it through this module. lol Over 1/2 of the party was taken out simply by being charmed. Tib, Robert rat food, iluq speared to death leaving 3 charmed against 3 or 4 ? The party had to rest to get spells back or they were just walking meat shields for the others. Well lets beat are heads against the wall and try again. :D
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
GreyWolfVT

#114 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah really with the level draining wraiths, the banshee roaming monster and the vampires we're kinda screwed unless we are overly strategic and work as a team coordinating before posting even then i think we would have to be much higher level than we are. But that again is just my thoughts. Heck I even think if we were each dual pcing we could be screwed.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

Getting strategic and working as a team isn't the worst idea I've heard.
GreyWolfVT

#116 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well any way I did decide that likely if slime were on my face I'd do my damnedest to try and get it off my face and head. So that is what Fendt is trying to do. Let me know if you require any type of rolls.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Stirling »

fire the slime, freeze it, electric bolt? stab it...., failing that cast 'Silence 15' radius' on yourself, it won't protect you but it will sure be kinder to Bragar so that he won't be able to see and hear you melt away.....
GreyWolfVT

#118 Post by GreyWolfVT »

right well like I said I have no spells I can cast to do anything aside from if it hates light I can cast that and hope it works otherwise Fendt dies and Ironwill gets off the waitlist. ;)

Ironwill
Squire
Squire

#119 Post by Ironwill »

Maybe we should all roll clerics... A holy order bent on destroying Strahd.
GreyWolfVT

#120 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well if you are off the waitlist i imagine Fendt is dead. TTFN everyone if that is the case. ;) it was a roller coaster.

Return to “Ravenloft”