Players running NPCs

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Players running NPCs

#1 Post by Leitz »

I'm not sure if this is a brilliant idea or a side effect of still being sick, but I was re-reading a couple of Dresden Files books and got to thinking/hallucinating.

In fiction, the main character (MC) seldom goes it totally alone. They have contacts, henchpersons, and sidekicks to work with. Often these are a way for the author to share information with the reader, the NPC can "explain" something to the MC and the reader gets the information too. It would be easier for the MC to know everything, but that would make conveying the scene and tone much more difficult. And we don't identify as well with the MC who is super great at everything. One Superman is plenty, thank you very much.

Some games, like the HERO system, give in game advantages to having these sorts of secondary characters around your PC. Other games less so, unless the players and DM set the game up that way. In one game here I played a character who viewed himself much less than another, and the other player and I did a good bit of interaction based on that. I find that to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of gaming, and the other player was a totally awesome story partner.

Which led me to my current trail of thought. What if you set up a game where each PC had a small number of significant NPCs, and those NPCs were played by other Players in the game? Let's start small, a normal mid-level D&D group with a fighter, a cleric, and a mage. Each PC has an NPC played by another player. The Fighter's trainee might be played by the mage's player, the fighter's player would play the cleric's acolyte, and the cleric's player would play the mage's apprentice. Conversely, if the group did a lot of non-dungeon time, the fighter's player might run the head of the cleric's church, the mage's player could run the local baron the fighter wants to be ennobled by, and the cleric's player could run the head of the mage's order.

For modern games, the NPC list might include reporters, love interests, competitors, mobsters, parents, all sorts of things.

This probably appeals to a limited subset of us, and may not be workable at all. Part of the idea is to add variety while taking a load off the DM's plate. Another part is to add more story to the games, more background and depth.

Thoughts?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Players running NPCs

#2 Post by Rex »

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is how I would handle hirelings and henchmen in a game I was running, although it would be the player running their own H/H.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

In my Earthquakes in the Jotens (1e) I gave most of the players (the Ranger could not have one per 1e rules) an option of having a henchperson at start. Two of the seven players took the offer. When I setting it up I was considering having another player run the henchperson so that there would be more dialog between the main character and henchperson, but decided the overhead of finding the player to put in that extra dialog was more hassle than it is worth. I have have one character (that has had three players over the game) give me back the henchperson (as in having the GM NPC her) as it being to complex to play the main character and the henchperson. The other player is handling it well.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Players getting retainers and expanding their influence in any campaign they play in can be very good for game immersion and rewarding for character development.

I think there are two elements. A GM wants significant npc's to be stalwarts that provide plot hooks, dangers, information, mentorship. Players have retainer npc's to disciple, take areas of responsibility, act as gophers or go-betweens. I do laud the Barrowmaze set-up with some of the veteran characters obtaining NPC retainers through their adventure roleplay. Even using withdrawn player's characters to second to certain individuals.

While a main character is off adventuring, retainers are routinely doing spell research, running the Guild admin, restoring a build project. Or going alongside to help as a ranger in the wilderness, a contact in the Thieves guild or just beefing a team out.

But going back to players being npc's one to another. I think that will become too cerebral and probably unworkable. How do you handle conflict and disagreement , choices, decisions. "I'm the boss, do as I say" doesn't promote team harmony.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:32 am What if you set up a game where each PC had a small number of significant NPCs, and those NPCs were played by other Players in the game?
I really love the idea of PCs making efforts to establish relationships with local NPCs, and building out a network of contacts.

As for the control, however...
Leitz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:32 am Part of the idea is to add variety while taking a load off the DM's plate. Another part is to add more story to the games, more background and depth.
This might be tricky. Especially when it comes to...
Stirling wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am How do you handle conflict and disagreement , choices, decisions.
This.

I do think it's an interesting idea in theory, but it might be a struggle in actual practice.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

dmw71 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:17 pm
Leitz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:32 am Part of the idea is to add variety while taking a load off the DM's plate. Another part is to add more story to the games, more background and depth.
This might be tricky. Especially when it comes to...
Stirling wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am How do you handle conflict and disagreement , choices, decisions.
This.

I do think it's an interesting idea in theory, but it might be a struggle in actual practice.
Some time back Starbeard ran an L5R game, and Captain Kinkajou played a samurai-ko who had been greviously injured. I didn't realize it at the time, but my character was actually trying to do something similar to what I'm talking about here, become a henchperson of a PC. I think the basis of loyalty would impact how conflicts and disagreements. In that particular game both PCs were recovering from trauma, and my character had a younger sister that he missed deeply. CK's PC filled that emotional role for him, and he would not betray her.

On the other hand, if the only basis of loyalty was coin, the relationship would be much trickier.
Stirling wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am Players getting retainers and expanding their influence in any campaign they play in can be very good for game immersion and rewarding for character development.
In the Chainmail/BX game Scarik is running, my character makes heavy use of henchpeeps. Sometimes I take an active hand in a henchperson's actions, mostly because my PC won't send anyone to fight something he's not willing to fight. So he has to spend a lot of time recovering.

Now his henchpeeps have their own henchpeeps, and I'm enjoying the team's growth. One loyal henchman has served well since the beginning, and in the last fight threw himself in front of an attack on my character. That was a DM action, BTW, not mine. In return for such long term and active displays of loyalty, my PC is going to figure out how to get the NPC ennobled. Even if it means becoming an Emperor so he can do his own ennobling!

When Scarik started the game, we talked about making domain growth a key feature of the campaign. My PC is built around that; he's a good fighter and a better leader. He has earned serious Morale and Loyalty bonuses from his henchpeeps, and he has no intention of becoming selfish.
gurusql wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:13 am In my Earthquakes in the Jotens (1e) I gave most of the players (the Ranger could not have one per 1e rules) an option of having a henchperson at start. Two of the seven players took the offer.
Wow! In the game I mentioned above, my character got as many NPCs as he could. So far it's worked out well, and the game's future growth depends on it.
dmw71 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:17 pm I really love the idea of PCs making efforts to establish relationships with local NPCs, and building out a network of contacts.
Eh, you should watch me in most of the games I play in. To not overburden the DMs, I'll (usually) ask for permission to "borrow" an NPC, and then get any parameters to operate under. For example, gurusql's Champions game or Tiglath's 268 game. In both of those games the DMs gave me a lot of latitude on what I could do, and I tried (usually) to stay within parameters.

Several years ago a DM gave me some room to write about a PC's paramour, and his only parameter was "no pulling a head out of her hope chest". Of course, that must have been a challenge, which I happily accepted! It was a wax head, she had been sculpting to get the teacher's attention, and the teacher was more interested in her father. The head took the brunt of her rejection...
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by TheMyth »

Wait...

Your players talk to each other in-character?

Some of mine do, but in the past most of them barely interact with me-as-npc.

Return to “RPG theory”